Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 11:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-boogie
Thanks Judy as you can tell I am very excited about being on the beach, now question. You mentioned the website was better for you then the book. I went on www.southbeachdiet.com is this the right one? I'm not seeing the meal plan charts and food list. Do I have to pay first and become a member?

The meal plan charts and food lists are the ones that we have here as I brought them over here over 2 years ago. You don't need to go there for them...but if you sign up for their free Daily Dish, it'll give you a recipe a day.

$20- per month is way too much money, IMO!! They don't have any new info....I am lucky in that I still pay the old rate...when they tried to raise me...I told them that they needed to keep people like me and that if they raised me, I'd quit.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 12:10
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
when they tried to raise me...I told them that they needed to keep people like me and that if they raised me, I'd quit.
Good for you!!! Love that story.

How can we sign up for the daily dish? I'd LOVE to do that, but I couldn't figure out how without joining the site.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 12:23
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras
Good for you!!! Love that story.

How can we sign up for the daily dish? I'd LOVE to do that, but I couldn't figure out how without joining the site.

http://southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/index.aspx

This should be where you can do that.

hmmmm...not working and am thinking that they no longer do this for new people.... money grubbing jerks. I will try to find out whats up.

Last edited by Judynyc : Sat, Jan-26-08 at 12:35.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 12:34
one day at a time

BF:

Hi Judy: Thank you (again). It's only giving me the Join Now! page (another technology issue!!), but I emailed support and asked them for help. Will let you all know what they say.

So...skippie, you got me thinking about slowcooking. Have been using the Dana Carpender LC SlowCooker cookbook and adapting where necessary, but does anyone know where there are good crockpot recipes for SoBe all ready to go?
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 12:39
Attitude is a Choice

http://secure.agoramedia.com/sbd2/i...2370F89B&email=

this link allows you to have a free week. ...looks like they do not send The Daily Dish if you are not a member any longer. sorry!
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 12:44
Attitude is a Choice

Here's todays Daily Dish:

Quote:
Smart Strategies for Success — for Members Only!Not a member?This daily newsletter is customized specifically for your Phase of
The South Beach Diet!™

Delicious Winter Produce Bargains

If you're following the healthy eating principles of the South Beach Diet, chances are you're shopping for great-tasting fresh fruits and vegetables. During the winter this can be a frustrating experience in many parts of the country. Tasteless tomatoes, unripe strawberries, and avocados priced like precious gems are just some of the typical complaints about produce. Your favorite fruits and veggies are either out of season or they come with a hefty price tag. So should you give up on them until the spring thaw? Of course not! Here are three steps to help you avoid the winter produce woes.

Buy seasonal produce. Readily available winter fruits include oranges, grapefruit, apples, and pears. Zero in on always-tasty winter vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, celery root, fennel, spinach, mushrooms, kale, chicory, leeks, Swiss chard, and collard greens.
Shop the frozen-foods aisle. Believe it or not, some nutrients (like vitamins A and C) are better retained in frozen produce than fresh produce, which loses some nutrients through exposure to air and light and during transportation. Plus, frozen produce is a real time-saver because it usually requires minimal preparation. In addition, by stocking your freezer with frozen produce, you'll always have fruits and vegetables on hand, even on days when you can't make it to the grocery store. This aisle is also an especially good place to find berries and other off-season fruits. (Make sure you select frozen fruits packaged without added sugars.)
Seek out weekly sales. Your local grocery store probably runs weekly promotions on selected produce. If you're looking to save pennies, pick up a circular and make it a point to buy produce that's on
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 15:56
one day at a time

BF:

That's a bummer! I already used my free week last year, so oh well. Thanks for checking, though, Judy!

Am going to move to Phase II this week--bought some blueberries to try.

Have some questions, though, for you SB Babes: I know I'm supposed to be no grains at all til onderland, but I'm really hankering for a sandwichy or pizzaesque thing. Saw some recipes using tortillas, so I bought some whole wheat tortillas (that are also low carb) made by Carb Cutter. Would once or twice a week be a bad idea, integrating those?

Can always make the rev rolls, too, I know, but it's not the same as wrapping something or having a pizzalike thing.

Another question: my grocery store doesn't have Laughing Cow Light, just regular Laughing Cow. So am a little confused about whether that's ok or not. It seems to fit into the guidelines even though it isn't light.

Any thoughts?
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 16:11
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
That's a bummer! I already used my free week last year, so oh well. Thanks for checking, though, Judy!

Am going to move to Phase II this week--bought some blueberries to try.

Have some questions, though, for you SB Babes: I know I'm supposed to be no grains at all til onderland, but I'm really hankering for a sandwichy or pizzaesque thing. Saw some recipes using tortillas, so I bought some whole wheat tortillas (that are also low carb) made by Carb Cutter. Would once or twice a week be a bad idea, integrating those?

Can always make the rev rolls, too, I know, but it's not the same as wrapping something or having a pizzalike thing.

Another question: my grocery store doesn't have Laughing Cow Light, just regular Laughing Cow. So am a little confused about whether that's ok or not. It seems to fit into the guidelines even though it isn't light.

Any thoughts?

If you have to have a whole wheat anything...be very careful and try to keep it to a minimum....maybe once a week for now. If I were you...and I was you!!! I'd stay away from it for now...but its your choice. Its still flour even if it is whole grain and that is a very slippery slope.

Portabella caps can be used to make a pizza thingy.

Have you ever seen Sprouted grain breads? Ezekiel is one...flourless breads...good idea!

Ask your grocer to get you the Laughing Cow lite...they can do that for you. The regular is too high in sat fat for SB. They really do taste the same.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 16:31
one day at a time

BF:

Ahhhh, I understand. I think I could get Ezekiel at Whole Foods. Would it be ok to try that, then, once a week or so?

Definitely want to find LC light and I'll ask them to order it in. Thank you!
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 230/220/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi everybody,

I've not posted in this area of the forum yet ... this is what's going on:

I'm feeling a bit down tonight ... and a bit hurt about the reactions to my posts on another area of the forum, and thought perhaps you guys might have some support for me and a bit of direction.

I tried Atkins twice, the first time I came down with a stomach bug and had to stop, the second time, I was doing well ... lost 10 lbs., but then was very very sick to my stomach and gagged each time I ate meat or eggs ... so the plan just wasn't working for me.

I have been posting with some questions and reservations and was told that South Beach might be a better way for me to go.

I'm hoping I might get some direction here ... as I was questioning the fact that God created us and wouldn't have created a food that was bad for us ... so I just can't seem to understand why bread can be bad, especially unleavened bread, if used in moderation.

I see that this plan is a bit more the way I think I'd like to go .. but still not completely sure. Anyway, hello ... nice to meet you all ...

Diana
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 19:03
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Ahhhh, I understand. I think I could get Ezekiel at Whole Foods. Would it be ok to try that, then, once a week or so?

Definitely want to find LC light and I'll ask them to order it in. Thank you!

If you can get the Ezekiel...then yes, once a week...but please don't eat the wheat tortillas even if they claim to be whole grain and low carb...you have an issue with wheat my friend and need to avoid it....especially processed wheat.

Also, you have not even gotten to 1 fruit and 1 starch a day yet so once again, you are rushing through. Slow down!! You need to do this slowly and start with a fruit then a starchy veggie(sweet potato) before grain...OK?
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 19:19
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by diana55
Hi everybody,

I've not posted in this area of the forum yet ... this is what's going on:

I'm feeling a bit down tonight ... and a bit hurt about the reactions to my posts on another area of the forum, and thought perhaps you guys might have some support for me and a bit of direction.

I tried Atkins twice, the first time I came down with a stomach bug and had to stop, the second time, I was doing well ... lost 10 lbs., but then was very very sick to my stomach and gagged each time I ate meat or eggs ... so the plan just wasn't working for me.

I have been posting with some questions and reservations and was told that South Beach might be a better way for me to go.

I'm hoping I might get some direction here ... as I was questioning the fact that God created us and wouldn't have created a food that was bad for us ... so I just can't seem to understand why bread can be bad, especially unleavened bread, if used in moderation.

I see that this plan is a bit more the way I think I'd like to go .. but still not completely sure. Anyway, hello ... nice to meet you all ...

Diana

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...9&page=41&pp=15
Welcome Diana!
This link will take you to our food lists and meal plan charts....please print them up to learn the plan.

As for your questioning about what God created for us to eat....I will not even go there with you as I do not get into religious debates on this other site other than in the War Zone. Its a very hot topic!!

I will tell you that I could not lose weight eating bread/flour and had to limit it greatly to get to my goal. Even now in maintenance, I limit my bread intake.and do not eat it daily, ever!!.....not to mention just how highly addictive grains are. Maybe you need to read a book called "Going Against the Grain". or Life Without Bread"..very informative.

The best way that I've found to do SBD, is to use the Atkins OWL carb ladder and add grains back in last...not first!! There are many SBD sites where they push grains fast, maybe that would work better for you.

After you review the plan at the link I gave you, feel free to ask your questions.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 19:25
one day at a time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
If you can get the Ezekiel...then yes, once a week...but please don't eat the wheat tortillas even if they claim to be whole grain and low carb...you have an issue with wheat my friend and need to avoid it....especially processed wheat.

Also, you have not even gotten to 1 fruit and 1 starch a day yet so once again, you are rushing through. Slow down!! You need to do this slowly and start with a fruit then a starchy veggie(sweet potato) before grain...OK?

Oh, I keep forgetting about the wheat issue--I just keep seeing whole wheats recomended whenever I read my SB stuff and so my mind keeps going there.

Yes, I am going to do the fruit first for daily add-ins (your advice makes SO much sense to me on the gradual laddering, esp. since I'm coming to the beach with my Atkins mindset) but since I was craving a little sandwich or pizza so bad, thought that once a week might be ok to satisfy that craving...
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 19:29
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Oh, I keep forgetting about the wheat issue--I just keep seeing whole wheats recomended whenever I read my SB stuff and so my mind keeps going there.

Yes, I am going to do the fruit first for daily add-ins (your advice makes SO much sense to me on the gradual laddering, esp. since I'm coming to the beach with my Atkins mindset) but since I was craving a little sandwich or pizza so bad, thought that once a week might be ok to satisfy that craving...

IMO? Not yet...I think that we all need to few solid months in phase II before we start to eat foods that are trouble.

Now...just because you have a thought to have a sandwich or pizza, does not mean that you have to give in and have it. You can always use a romaine leaf to wrap stuff.

I call this "Managing our internal dialogue."

And just because wheat is touted as good for us....it is Kraft saying this...not just the SBD people!!
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 19:32
one day at a time

BF:

Thank you!!!! Just got all caught up in the Phase II hoopla I've been reading about as I prepared to transition.