Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 16:07
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

So....I had my omelet with the leftover zucchini/mushrooms.... I've become a good maker of the omelet!!

Now I've got a huge pot of chili working and that'll take me through the whole week....along with 2 lbs turkey cutlets that I will marinate and grill up later.

My chili- this time!! each time is different!
1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground lean beef
1 lb ground pork
1 large vidalia onion
1 large red bell pepper
1 large carrot
2 large portabella caps
1.5 tbs ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
1 15 oz jar green salsa
1 15 oz can black soy beans
1 15 oz can red kidney beans
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
1.5 tbs crushed red pepper
2 tbs EVOO

step 1- brown all meat, drain and set aside
step 2- chop all veggies and heat EVOO and add crushed red pepper and garlic until you smell the garlic, then add all the veggies until the onions and soft and sweet aka sweated. While the veggies are cooking down, I add in the chili powder and cumin.
step 3- when they veggies are nice and gooey....I put all the meat in and then layer it with the green salsa, then the beans, then the crushed tomatoes....stirring well as I go.

Its simmering now and will for a few hours on a very low heat. The longer the better!! I do not need to add salt as the green salsa is loaded with it.

edited to add in 1 15 oz can of chopped tomato and 2 tbs dried oregano...just because it needed it.

Last edited by Judynyc : Sun, Jan-06-08 at 16:42. Reason: adding ingredients
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 18:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 375/309/185 Female 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I made a big pan of Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Bake... it smells YUMMY. I also have a Beef Roast all seasoned and ready to go in the morning for supper tomorrow night. It is a pretty big one, so it should last for a few days.

I also cut up a bunch of celery, cucumbers, mushrooms and onions. oh, and boiled more eggs. Can't forget the hard boiled eggs.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 19:26

Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Today I made a spicy Szechaun stir fry w/ lean beef strips and lots of veggies (red peppers, onion, mushrooms, bamboo, broccoli and a TON of snow peas). I had a 1/2 cup of brown rice alongside it.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 20:21

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I just boiled down some rhubarb and raspberries...sweetened with Splenda and topped it with a bit of creme fraiche.
I'd never had creme fraiche before...I like it better than yogurt! Reminds me a bit of quark....
Cost a fortune, though...one small tub was about $5.00!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 07:44

Plan: SBD
Stats: 230/201/165 Female 5'7
BF:
Default Whatch cookin today?

I am going to attempt to make Chicken Cordon Bleu wo flour,breadcrumbs,
This really should be interesting because I do not know what to substitute.
My plan of action is to use Smart Balance for butter and reduced fat cheese
w prosciutto instead of smoked ham. I have 6 tenderloins w 2 pieces of the prosciutto so it will not be a whole bunch of it. I did get the Boar Heads brand
which has no fillers but does contain dextrose. So it was a choice between too much salt or sugar.I know I can brown off chicken wo flour or crumbs.
Wish I didn't have a taste for this

Another thing is the almond flour maybe I could use that . Of course my dumb question here is when you use almond flour does that count as your
nut serving. Oh happy day

Hi Judy
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 07:57

Stats: 375/309/185 Female 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissym2004
I am going to attempt to make Chicken Cordon Bleu wo flour,breadcrumbs,
This really should be interesting because I do not know what to substitute.
My plan of action is to use Smart Balance for butter and reduced fat cheese
w prosciutto instead of smoked ham. I have 6 tenderloins w 2 pieces of the prosciutto so it will not be a whole bunch of it. I did get the Boar Heads brand
which has no fillers but does contain dextrose. So it was a choice between too much salt or sugar.I know I can brown off chicken wo flour or crumbs.
Wish I didn't have a taste for this

Another thing is the almond flour maybe I could use that . Of course my dumb question here is when you use almond flour does that count as your
nut serving. Oh happy day

Hi Judy

An idea.... mix some egg and milk, dip your chicken in that, and then into some parmesean cheese. It will brown REALLY nicely, and have that "crunchy" texture i think you are looking for. You can't fully cook the chicken breasts this way. Dip, brown, and then bake.... or i think you will lose all the cheese?? not sure. Haven't done this method with chicken cordon bleu. Sounds YUMMY BTW!!!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 08:09

BF:

Thanks Camelle,that sounds like a great idea. I am looking for the crunch and
I will bake it off in the oven. Don't want to lose the filling...........
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 08:49
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy
Another thing is the almond flour maybe I could use that . Of course my dumb question here is when you use almond flour does that count as your nut serving.

Yes...it does count as your nut serving so use it wisely!! I've seen chick pea flour in my health food store and we can use more of that than nuts.

I did something interesting that was not perfectly on plan but came out tasty. I took fried onion rings from a can and put a couple of ounces of them into the processor with a bunch of dried mushrooms, some parmesan cheese and herbs and mixed it all together. I ran the cutlets through an egg wash first then into the mix.

I'm sure you can do this with soy flour too.....I've yet to try it though.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 09:46

BF:

Judy,thats sounds yummy too! I have to put on my thinking cap and get more creative,thanks for the suggestion,going to try this too.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 10:43

Stats: 170/169.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
I'd never had creme fraiche before...I like it better than yogurt! Reminds me a bit of quark....
Cost a fortune, though...one small tub was about $5.00!
Hi Stephanie. I love creme fraiche too - but I usually try to avoid it as it is very high in calories and doesn't work well with my plan. It is wonderful for making sauces for special occasions, or for adding to soups. This is one of my favorite pork recipes - made it for friends over vacation, and it has a gorgeous mustard creme fraiche sauce:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...ce,1700,RC.html

Judy, you and I always seem to make chili at the same time! I cooked a massive amount of chili this weekend, so I'll be having that tonight. I now have 8 large family size containers in the freezer, plus 1 in the fridge . I used 7.5 pounds (!) 93% lean beef, 4 large onions, 4 celery stalks, 8 cloves garlic, 6 zucchini, 3 yellow squash, 2 green peppers,4 tubs sliced mushrooms, 2 bags shredded carrots, 3 tins red kidney beans, 2 tins chickpeas, 1 tin black beans, 3 large tins crushed tomatoes, 2 large tins chopped tomatoes, 1 box of organic beef broth, ¼ pint cider vinegar, chopped jalapenos, chili powder, ground red pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, salt and pepper. Filled a huge lobster pot to the brim. Makes me so happy to have Monday nights covered for the next 2 months!

Tomorrow I plan on making this Rachel Ray recipe I saw her cook the other day. Tandoori Chicken with Mashed Chick Peas and Pepper and Onion Salad - it looked delicious!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/rec..._102176,00.html

I'll make a double batch so I have plenty of leftovers!

~Jane
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 14:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte
Hi Stephanie. I love creme fraiche too - but I usually try to avoid it as it is very high in calories and doesn't work well with my plan. It is wonderful for making sauces for special occasions, or for adding to soups.
THANK you for that recipe!

OK...I'll admit what I did last night....I ate the WHOLE POT of creme fraiche! Well, all but one tablespoon.
I used that last tablespoon to make my own!! I filled up a cup full of whipping cream, added a tablespoon of creme fraiche...then set if over the warm spot on my stove (where the pilot light is) overnight.
I woke up this morning to a whole new pot of the stuff!
I just tried it...sweetened with Splenda and vanilla...over raspberries. YUM! I hope I get sick of it soon, because it'll be the death of me!LOL!

(AFTER I make that pork roast...LOL!)

Oh, and I have ANOTHER pot of the stuff "curing" on my stove as I type this. There is no saving me, I'm afraid!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 16:49
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandollar
I ate the WHOLE POT of creme fraiche! Well, all but one tablespoon.

hmmmm...thats a lot, isn't it?

Being that this is the South Beach section...we do not use full fat items and I assume that creme fraiche is a full fat food?

Also, we do pay attention to portion sizes and that much would be a binge in my book.

I just read a recipe that uses 1 tablespoon of it for the whole recipe!!
Here's the recipe to make it on your own:
Creme Fraiche:
Quote:
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/sauce/c...che-recipe.html
The French version of fresh, heavy cream, it's thicker and more tart. Delicious spooned over fresh fruit or other desserts such as warm cobblers or puddings. It is the ideal addition for sauces or soups because it can be boiled without curdling.

Creme Fraiche

1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons buttermilk
Place the cream and buttermilk in a glass container. Let stand, uncovered at room temperature for 24 hours, or until very thick. Stir well before covering and refrigerate up to 10 days.
Makes 1 cup.

Cook's Note: Ultrapasteurized (sterilized) cream takes considerably longer to thicken than fresh cream.

We do not use heavy cream on SB...ever!!

Last edited by Judynyc : Mon, Jan-07-08 at 16:56.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 19:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
hmmmm...thats a lot, isn't it?
Being that this is the South Beach section...we do not use full fat items and I assume that creme fraiche is a full fat food?
Also, we do pay attention to portion sizes and that much would be a binge in my book.
We do not use heavy cream on SB...ever!!

WHHOOOOOOPSS!!! I didn't notice I was in the "South Beach" section!!! Sorry for the confusion, guys!!

(on my plan the high fat content is a GOOD thing! )

(Bowing and leaving backwards through the door now...)
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 22:24
Registered Member

Stats: 183/158.4/130 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissym2004
I am going to attempt to make Chicken Cordon Bleu wo flour,breadcrumbs

You gave me a great idea of dinner. Made some chicken tenderloins rolled in some parmesan cheese and Mrs. Dash and now I'm baking them in the oven. I hope it turns out well.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 09:12

BF:

Everyones food sounds yummy and it gives me good ideas.The chicken I made for yesterday was great,however I only used one of the prosciutto be-
it is salty. Rolling it in herbs,parmesean cheese,dipped in egg first turned out
tasty.

Today I'm cooking tilipia in parchment paper or you could use foil. I sprinkle
seasonings such as lemon pepper etc then I add sliced tomatoe,onions and
lemon all cut very thin.Place the packets on a cookie sheet and bake 375
for 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.

Also making a salad of romaine lettuce,diced tomatoes,1 diced pickle (not swt)1/2 sm red onion or whatver you have toss tog w 1 T red wine vinegar
and !T EVOO. I'm going to brown off that other piece of prosciutto to
put on the top for crunch.