Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 21:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/146.8/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

i'm interested in joining curves - what are the basic pros and cons?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 07:22

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 218/205.4/158 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi everyone.

KJS, here's a few things that come to mind:

Pros (for me anyway)
1. I like the women only atmosphere and "no barbies" as someone aptly put it upthread LOL!

2. The club I go to has a very upbeat, supportive, positive atmosphere which of course might differ by location (the people have everything to do with that) but I think it's reflective of how Curves corporate recommends the atmosphere be.

3. I feel like I'm getting a good overall workout in only about 45 minutes (30 for the circuit, and another 5 - 10 of stretching, then a few extra minutes for changing shoes, playing the games, etc.)

4. At $34 per month I think the cost is reasonable.

Cons:
1. Unlike some larger gyms, the circuit is all there is - no additional cardio machines or free weights or any of that.

2. Some Curves have really limited hours.

A suggestion - Curves offers a month to month type of membership which would allow you to join for 1 month only, and give it a try before you decide if you want the year long contract. The monthly membership does not include benefits like being able to work out at alternate Curves locations so ask about the limitations if you go that route.

Best wishes!

DG
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 14:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/146.8/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

thanks for the tips - i will look into it
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 21:37

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just a heads-up, you may want to do a few quick Google searches and look into the politics of Curves founder Gary Heavin before you give him your money. (Some people may be bothered, some not--not trying to start trouble.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-08, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 125/122/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

I've been a member of Curves for over a year. At first it was great and I did loose some weight and body fat. But it is now very tedious as it is always the same routine and pretty boring - I actually weigh more now than when I started there. I am about to cancel my membership and start attending a new Anytime Fitness gym that is opening close by. They have a lot of cardio equipement there plus the circuit training. I think I need to sweat a little more than I do at Curves. It's not bad - but I think long term you loose the benefits if Curves after a while.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-08, 03:26

BF:
Default Curves - My progress update

Hi again. I joined Curves last November, but somehow lost my motivation for exercise in general after the New Year. (no fault of Curves - I've got YEARS of history with that!) Of course the progress I had made was all undone + a few pounds, yada yada same old same old.

On May 22 I got serious about my weight AGAIN as I found myself at my highest weight ever. I'm only a month into it, and I've got to make permanent changes which remains to be seen. But the Curves program DOES work if you work IT, along with an appropriate eating plan which for me is low carb.

Since May 22 I worked out every day they were open, which is 6 days per week (closed on Sundays) unless there is a holiday. (Memorial Day in this case). The SMART system, for those Curves where it is installed, guides you to work at 100% of your target every other day, and 80% of your target when you work out consecutive days. Of course the "target" moves as you get stronger - this computerized system is truly amazing to me. And you can see the results of your effort on the computer screen after each workout.

At my monthly weigh / measure on Thursday, I had lost 8.5 pounds, 3.5 inches, and lost 9.1 pounds of fat according to the body fat measure since May 22.

The computer thinks I've been burning between 350 and 425 calories per workout. That seems a bit high to me (but how would I know!!) however it's turning out to be a great reference point. I keep track of that number every day in Life Form (like Fit Day, only older and a local software program) along with my food intake and other info. So I can see what's going on.

Here are my food averages for June:

Protein: 96g per day
Fat: 83g per day
Carbs: 41g per day (mostly vegs and low GI fruit)
Cals: 1400 (I want to up this a bit!!)

I also just found out I have low Thyroid, and started a very low dose of Armour today. I do think my food intake has been too low especially for that level of working out. Especially now that my Thyroid is being addressed, I want to rev up my metabolism.

Even though I was only a member for about 2 months before the SMART equipment was installed, I can assure anyone reading that the intensity of my workouts pre and post SMART are hardly even compareable. Having the little lights in front of you through every repetition - giving you feedback on your range of motion and pace is incredible.

Anyway - sorry for the gushiness of it all. But I finally buckled down and worked the program the way it is supposed to be worked and I could just jump for joy and the weight and inches I've lost so far - not to mention how much better I feel physically.

OK - enough already!!!

DG
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-08, 19:42

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 238/218.5/158 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi I joined Curves today. Any Curve members still around? I start next week and I'm excited. The 2 ladies were extremely nice and helpful during sign up. I went to another gym years ago which copied curves. They had a couple barbies that did reception and changed out constantly with one trainer that was a drill sargent. This seems so much better and I look forward to going. Anyone using the smart system? I was told to wait 3-4 weeks before getting it.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-08, 03:50

BF:

Hi iluv! I think a big part of any Curves location is the local owners and staff and it sounds like your local Curves is a comfortable place for you. That's been my experience as well!

I do use the SMART system and it really does affect the intensity of my workouts, which I'm certain affects my results. I do think there is some good logic behind learning the circuit first, then adding in the SMART system. To maximize your results, your form on each machine is very important. So taking some time early on to concentrate on correct form would be a good thing IMO. Then when you add in the SMART system, it's going to push you for more reps each time while monitoring your range of motion, and that's where you should start seeing results.

I think Curves is like any other type of exercise in that you will get out of it what you put into it. I've lost over 40 pounds and over 30 inches since May. I work out with plenty of ladies who have seen little or no results since May. While the social nature of Curves can be fun (at least mine is that way and it sounds like many clubs are that way), if you spend your time on the circuit talking to the other ladies, you are probably not getting the most from your workout. (not to be harsh....just makin' an observation) I also feel that I benefit from working out 5 - 6 days a week. I don't think 3X would do it for me. (unless I was doing some other high intensity exercise 2 or 3X per week in addition to Curves)

I'm also on a low carb diet. I'm now transitioning to maintenance as I have only about 12 pounds to go. Part of that transition for me is seeing how I do eating "Doggygirl's low carb." That means I'm not counting calories or carbs - just using good sense about the foods that agree with me and are lower carb, etc. If I start gaining then it's back to the drawing board.

I also discovered I have slightly low thyroid (on a low dose of Armour) and I am also taking bio-identical progesterone and estrogen and a very little testosterone. I think getting my hormones in balance is also an important part of this total picture. I highly recommend getting these things tested by a doc who knows what they are doing - especially for women in the perimenopause / menopause years.

More than you asked for LOL, but that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!! I think the same things are true of many workout programs - you have to push yourself in order to see change.

Best wishes to you!!

DG
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-08, 08:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

I did Curves last year for a month. But it's just too far away from me. 25 miles one way to get there. I absolutely loved it! But it was the chatting that I loved - made it so I didn't notice I was working out. I felt better, but not sure if I lost any inches or weight or not.
Good luck with it & have fun!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-08, 21:01

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 238/218.5/158 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 24%

Doggygirl - I'm excited in a few weeks to get the smart system. No worries about me talking to other women I'm extremely shy and barely speak lol. I understand ladys who see no results while I signed up there was an older lady who was barely even trying and at the last circuit place I was at there was a lot of women who seemed to use it as a social outlet and barely even did their reps.
I wish they were open on Sundays and later in the evenings. Since I have been doing nothing but sitting on my butt I'm thinking I'll will really start working soon. Some people complain about the routine but I live for routine. I do not like change or new so this is great for me. Everything is set out and planned. I'm nervous but excited. If I go after work it will only be a 5 mile drive so I'm hoping I can get into afternoon work outs...not so sure about that.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-08, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/145/145 Female 60in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I love going to Curves! I have been an off and on member for around 2 years(I think). I've been going faithfully though since Aug. of this year and I can really tell it helps me. My muscles are really getting toned and I'm hoping that will help me not to have too much loose hanging skin as I lose weight. They don't have the SMART system yet but I just keep a close watch on how I'm progressing and I know when I need to step things up a bit.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 12:28
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

I thought I'd dig this thread up. I'm new to Curves and liked the workout. It's about 4 miles from home, so not too far away. I do like to do my workout and not so much socialize, and am still looking for my "right time" to go. The last time I went, there were several old ladies who weren't even coming close to doing the circuit, switching all around, passing me and then going behind me, and blabbering nonstop the whole time - it was weird and got on my nerves. I'm going to have to try some different times...
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 18:37

Plan: several
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

This seems to be a very old thread, but I'll toss in a reply anyway. I just joined Curves this summer, and was hoping to hear other people's feedback on it. It seems like a good workout so far - I think I've logged in 12 workouts. I hadn't been exercising for a long time, so I consider myself a beginner. It's more fun and less boring than a regular gym, but it's very repetitive, and I suspect after awhile, it won't be a challenge. I guess that's one of my questions for others - how quickly does your body adapt to the exercises and stop getting benefit, or does that actually happen?

I've been doing Curves and Wii Fit and walking.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-09, 10:34

BF:

Magpie I'm jealous of your Wii Fit! That thing looks and sounds like so much fun!

As you can tell by all my posts on this thread I am a believer in Curves and it was surely the right thing at the right time for me.

This summer I made the switch to the "big boy/girl gym" and am looking to take my program to the next level - especially the weight training part. (although I also do a lot of cardio work) I'm currently working with a personal trainer.

I appreciate Curves for what it did for me. I found a comfortable environment for women and for fitness beginners like me at Curves. Like any work out, it can be very vigorous and effective if you put yourself into it. I was consistent with my workouts and attendance for a year, and the results were there. (for me, I have to be very attentive to my diet, and I am also on Thyroid meds and BHRT which have made a difference as well).

I did find that after a year I was ready for a change. But I don't regret my time at Curves. I would have never had the self confidence to succeed at the Big Gym given where I was physcially and mentally when I first started out.

Just 2 cents and an update! Good luck to all with your fitness goals.

DG
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 06:39

Plan: several
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the reply! I'm really glad to hear good things about Curves. I try to put a lot into my workouts - I go three times around instead of two, for one thing - and I do enjoy it. The big gyms are daunting. The Wii Fit is really fun. One of the things I like best about it is using it as a scale - you can see your weight or your BMI - and it keeps a graph for you of your weight loss. The exercises are good, but there isn't a great variety.