Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 17:30

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Just dug out this thread again. After some trial and error, I think I came up with a vegan low carb menu that is working for me so far. My main issue was that I do better eating whole foods and I didn't want to resort to too many fake meats/processed proteins to substitute for dairy and eggs (or meat, for that matter).

Here's a typical day for me:
Morning: tofu scramble
Mid-morning: 1 oz nuts
Afternoon: veggie and edamame stir-fry (really starting to love edamame beans - I expected them to have a heavy soy taste but they're actually very delicate), 1/2 cup berries (now that it's hot, I take frozen berries and throw them in the mini food processor with a little soy milk and silken tofu and make a very decent berry sorbet )
Mid-Afternoon: Protein shake (see post above)
Evening: Salad with avocado, vegan low carb fudge (posted this recipe in the Sweet Treats section)

According to Fitday, I'm at about 60 net carbs (although sometimes I'm more around 70, depending on the veggies I eat that day), 40 fiber, and 1400 calories.

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 10:15

Plan: Eades
Stats: 336/316/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm finding that if I stick with complex carb foods and whole foods and avoid simple carbs and processed foods totally I can lose weight. I've been also trying to stay reasonably low fat also. It just takes lots of planning ahead and I'm not used to doing that.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 15:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefiddl
I've been also trying to stay reasonably low fat also.

WHY are you trying to stay low fat while you low carb?
According to your stats, you have a bit of weight to lose. As a veggie, you've already cut out lots of other food options--you do NOT want to be eliminating fats from your diet as well (except transfats.)

Low carbing teaches your body to use fat and protein as fuels instead of carbs...fats first, then protein. You do not want to be cutting back on the thing that is supposed to be your primary fuel source (fat.)
  #19   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 09:56

Plan: Eades
Stats: 336/316/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I've successfully low-carbed before as a carnivore and could tell when I was using fat for fuel because I was releasing ketones. I've never been able to detect ketone release on a vegan diet. When I wrote "low fat" I meant, for example, when I prepare vegan chili I don't add any extra oil, or add butter to my steamed veggies (though I do sometimes use Butter Buds). I just figured that by not adding extra fat when cooking I would keep the calories down and improve weightloss. I know that's not pure low carb dieting and maybe it's the wrong approach but that's why I posted on this forum.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 15:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

stonefiddl, I would just be very careful that you don't short yourself calories, especially fat calories, while trying to low carb as a vegan. For instance, what is the macronutrient breakdown of your vegan chili? Is it mainly protein and fat, with a max of 15-20g effective carbs per serving? If it's not--if it's more like an equal amount of carbs and protein, with minimal fat, then you won't produce ketones from eating it because your body won't look to either fat or protein for fuel. It will look first to the carbs, because they're easier (whether that's the right first choice for better health or not.)

The only vegan protein sources that are minimal carb are things like vital wheat gluten and soy protein isolate. Nearly every other vegan protein source is either 1:1 or 2:1 grams of protein:carb. If you want to ensure that your body uses fat for fuel, you have to provide it with enough fat (both dietary and body fat) to allow that to happen. When you're vegan, it's too easy to let dietary fat sources drop before your body is truly metabolizing body fat for fuel, and if that happens, your body will still be stuck looking first to carbs--especially if, as often happens, you are also not taking in enough protein per pound of LBM either.

Low carb as a vegan means that you need to ensure you are getting at minimum 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, AND an equivalent amount of dietary fat--as well as limiting carbs. It's tricky, but it can be done.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 14:04

Plan: vegan
Stats: 145/145/110 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm on day 2 of Vegan Low Carbing. I have a massive headache, and I am pretty tired. Is this normal for the first couple of days?

I'm really new to this after months of anorexia and really not eating anything, I gained loads of weight once I started eating again. I'm hoping to lose that weight...

Here is my intake for the day (please let me know what you think):

B-in a hurry - spoonful of peanut butter (no added sugar-all natural)
S-peanuts
L-tofu and veggies stir fried in soy sauce and some oil
D-tofu and veggies stir fried in soy sauce and oil
S-bit of peanut butter

Forgot to mention that I'm living and working in London right now...loads of walking everyday...I'm a peripatetic teacher! I'd say I walk about 5-10 miles or more any given day!
Thanks all! Much love!

Last edited by daisyduke0 : Tue, Jun-17-08 at 14:10.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 18:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 110%

Just wanted to say thanks for posting the link regarding low carb- vegetarian recipes. I would really like to be able to give up all meat, but, at least now I have a great point of reference and have the opportunity to expand my meal choices and continue to get healthier along the way!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 18:40
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 176/161.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I just want to point out that I know many vegetarians who consume fish...as I do.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 03:27

Plan: Whole Foods/Low Carb
Stats: 306/248/198 Female 5'9"
BF: Jeans:26/20/16
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy43
I just want to point out that I know many vegetarians who consume fish...as I do.

That's so funny.

I know many "virgins" who have sex too!

Psst! You spelled "vegetarian" incorrectly in your profile and under your name, but got it right in the above post.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'6'
BF:
Progress:

I know this is an "old" post but I just finished it in it's entirety.
Very informative and entertaining. Today is my 14th day on the induction program and plan to continue thru the end of the month. If I have to put one more piece of animal flesh in my mouth I am going to stop eating all together! UGH!!!!! Is it possibe/okay to stay on induction without meat, chicken or fish?
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 06:27

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I'm not a vegetarian but like to include vegan or/and vegetarian meals into my food plan. I have 2 LC vegetarian books which include many vegan options.

You can make lots of dishes with tofu and seitan which are not only tasty but quite versatile.

Prehaps this site could help you :

http://www.roseelliot.com/catalogue_main.php?catID=2030
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-10, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'6'
BF:
Progress:

thank you Shyvas...I will certainly look into this.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-10, 22:19

Plan: Low Carb Vegan
Stats: 230/230/165 Female 63"
BF:?/?/22%
Progress: 0%

Hello. I'm new here. I successfully loss 50lbs as a low carb meat eater but I've become vegan and now I am struggling a bit. I hope to gain support here as I had when I did it the first time. This time is for keeps.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 13:55

Plan: meat, eggs, EVOO, EVCO
Stats: 173/161.8/129 Female 63
BF:33%/28.2%/19%
Progress: 25%

Thanks for the tip aout Cyndi's website. I was really struggling with how to add variety to my plan. Tired of nuts and spinach!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-11, 15:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxie
I know this is an "old" post but I just finished it in it's entirety.
Very informative and entertaining. Today is my 14th day on the induction program and plan to continue thru the end of the month. If I have to put one more piece of animal flesh in my mouth I am going to stop eating all together! UGH!!!!! Is it possibe/okay to stay on induction without meat, chicken or fish?

While you could do your own low carb plan, I do not think you could follow a strict induction for very long....you are basically left with eggs, 3 cups of veggies, and fats (cream, butter, oil....). do not think that is sustainable.

Why not move into OWL?