Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 14:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullions
I usually just lurk on this site but now I have a question for you. First of all I like the WOE very much. If I do just Atkins I get really bored and fall off, but on CAD I can do very well. My question for you is do you experienced CADers count calories? I am older and it is so easy for me to not lose that I am so fearful of not counting. Any advice for me?

Thanks so much,
Suze

I don't count calories but I'm thinking I may have to....I'm just working on maintaining through the holidays and then get back to trying to lose in the new year. I know I need to make a few changes but just have to figure them out.

Sorry I don't have better advice....maybe Eno will pop in and have some! She's the CAD pro here!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 18:03
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
not a pro- just doing it a long time and sticking with it!

I have never counted calories, but I do know that there are people who find they need to reduce calories and carbs. You can look on the genreal area or Atkins - use the search.
For me, having a complex carb for my RM carb was really helpful when I was losing. Like no pasta/rice/bread/cake/ice cream/candy/beer/potato. Instead yogurt, fruit, squash, sweet potato, bran cereal, and that kind of thing. For me, sugar and alcohol really make a big difference. For others, it seems to be dairy and grain.
This is a YMMV issue, but I look at CALP as healing your body. I didn't become insulin resistant overnight and it didn't get better overnight either. I just stuck with it and I did really balance my RMs. I also did not eat carbs outside of RM and did try and stick to the 1 hr rule. I also walk and lift weights, and know the walking was really important. Another thing I do (still ) is not eat frankenfoods- no artificially low carb foods, very little artificial sweeteners. very few diet sodas. I eat real food and I think that helps.

CM:2 eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon, cheese, black coffee
CM: beef hot dog, coleslaw, mustard, water
RM: salad, lamb burger, sauteed squash, hummus, 1/4 pita, 1 small piece dark chocolate.

I am on my way to a holiday party at a bar! I plan on having a club soda and lime. No way am I having a beer (love them, but all carbs and I finished my RM!) or a glass of wine (too much $ for a lousy wine in this bar)- will be fine with my club soda. Feeling very satisfied with my RM so do not plan on anything else.

HTH-
E
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-07, 09:44

Stats: 233/196/185 Female 5feet 6 and a half inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

hello all,

I have been a long time Atkins follower (over 3 years). I have been slipping the last few months though. I know the system too well and how to manipulate it I need to try something a bit different. I dabbled in South Beath a year ago and found it to have ill effects on my bowels. So back to Atkins I went. I have been cheatng mostly the last week, more than ever in the last 3 years. I can't even face my scale, but I know my stats are off. I bought the CAD book yesterday and have been reading a bit on the forums before jumping into the book. Trying to get a handle on it. I guess my biggest question is what the biggest differences are between CAD an Atkins. I'm sure the book will answer this for me. I am worried about the RM, setting off cravings though.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-07, 09:56
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi Slim-
please read the book, and use the search function on this site to look up switching from Atkins. There are many differences- the most important being no carb counting. Please let us know how you are doing and what you decide to do.
You can have carbs for RM that are vegetabels or grains or dairy- you don't have to havae sugar. That may help the cravings.

I am visiting family in Atlanta, and have been doing great. Last night had steaks, and tonight is shrimp and salads. It is raining here- so I won't be walking today.
Hopw everyone is having a great day-
E
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 07:04

BF:

Hi Everyone! I survived the holidays! I didn't do as well as hoped with food but I am not going to complain. Today is the day to clean up the menu and get back to my workouts!

I've sent all the higher carb leftovers home with DS and I'm getting my workout equipment back in place today so I can use it again. The trouble with a small house is having to rearrange things to fit everyone for holidays. That means the exercise stuff gets put away!

It will be good to get back in the routine of things and to be able to concentrate on losing again!
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-07, 12:17
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi everyone-
Hope you are all doing GREAT- amd I wish all a GREAT NEw Year.

We went out to dinner last night, and I had a burger on a challah roll and spinach as a side, with a garden salad and a glass of wine. The burger was so big I couln't finish it- had the other half (minus roll ) for CM lunch today. I have friends coming over today- I'm making salad, grilled shrimp, green beans, rolls, and my friend is bringing apple brown betty for dessert. DH wants me to have ice cream too- not. We will also have a glass of champagne. These are very good friends and we will do New Years Eve a day early with them!
I am going to go lift weights now too.

My stove died, and they are delivering the new one tomorrow. It is my first gas range ever (and I am 51!)- so excited. I always love cooking on a gas range, and DH really pushed for this, so I hope by this time next week I'll be 'cooking with gas'.

Happy New Year-
E
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-08, 08:20

BF:

Happy New Year! Food has been pretty good the last few days with only a little stray last night. I won't dwell on it!

Today's RM will be chili. I've got to use up some ground beef and I can just throw it all in the crockpot!

I've been working on fine tuning my goals and my menus for the new year. I'm going to adjust my workouts to shake things up a bit.

Have a great day!
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 17:49
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Happy New Year too!
Had a great RM tonight. Meatloaf, salad, green beans, 1/2 baked potato,1/4 of a beer.
Stove is gone- so dinner was oven and microwave. Our electric frypan died a few years ago, and I never got a new one. I hope they finish by Friday!
CM tomorrow am- meatloaf(?) or eggs in the oven, if I have time (or the micro).
CM- meatloaf and salad.
RM ?
E
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-08, 16:31

BF:

I thought things would settle down sooner! It will be a quiet weekend for me with DH out of town.

RM today was carrots, chicken and 2 clementines.

CM tonight will be a small serving of sauerkraut casserole.

I'm going to be doing more cooking ahead to be better prepared for staying on plan.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-08, 08:12
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
well, the stove is in! Now the grill fell apart (15 years and many replacement parts later- but when the whole bottom falls out...).
Happened while making RM last night.

RM: salad, grilled chicken breasts, green beans, 1/2 roll, roasted chestnuts (4).
CM:2 eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon, coffee.
CM (Planned): leftover grilled chicken, green beans.
RM(Planned): going out with 3 freinds- we'll see.

My eating out strategy that I have developed is to have a set meal for different places. Like a burger with a roll and veggies, or an Outback steak and veggies, or chicken piccata and veggies, roast duck and veggie mu shu, tandori chicken and sag paneer.... This way I have a great RM and still get enough protein, veggies and carbs. I know one of the friends does not eat Indian, so that's out. They are all on low fat diets, so...
It is actually very sad. One of them is my age, and went on WW 3-4 years ago. SHe lost 30 lbs and said it was the hardest thing she ever did. She got all new clothes and was so proud of herself. You know the rest- she has gained it all back and some. Of course this is not discussed at all. I only see her wear black now, and she is unhappy. It makes me feel bad for her, but she is still trying the WW way. Oh well.
E
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-08, 08:32

BF:

Good Morning! I've got some quiet time before I get the day started!

Oh, I envy a new stove!!! The one that came with this house is terrible. Only one big burner works - the one in the back. If I'm using a big pan, I can't use the other burners! And none of the burners are level! I want a new stove, I've got one picked out and am saving for it! I have an electric stove now but I'm going to see about getting a gas stove next! It won't be difficult to add a line since the gas dryer is just on the other side of the wall. I would rather cook on gas!

We did have to get a new microwave right before the holidays. I got a combo one with convection and a fast bake feature that I just love! Well worth the extra money!

I'm sorry to see so many people struggle with plans that don't work for them but yet are unwilling to try this one. I've not been real successful the last few months but that's because I haven't made the best choices not because of the plan. I'm back on track and doing great so far. I plan to make this the most successful year for me!

I think I've found a breakfast that will work for me without going against the rules of CAD. It's a protein shake without the protein powder (made this by accident the other day!) and a portion of either meat, chicken or eggs. This way I feel like I'm "eating" and I'm not using the protein powder which is not recommended for a CM. The recipe for the shake contains other nutrients so I think I'll be fine with it and it's plenty filling!

We don't eat out much so it's not much of an issue for me. My DH is out of town a lot and had gotten into the habit of wanting pizza for dinner on his first night home. I told him that was not going to happen this weekend! We need to find an alternative. Even though I can easily make that my RM, I have portion control problems with pizza. I don't ever crave it but if it's here, I can't leave it alone. So I'm going through recipes for ideas that will please him and be easy for me to incorporate into my plan.

I'm dropping all the bad habits I've drifted into the last several months and so far it's going well! I've also made some plans to shake up the workouts!

Guess I better go get some breakfast before I get too much more hungry!
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 14:57
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi -
Linda, that sounds great. Pizza is an awful RM for me- it is just not enough protein and too much carb. I have it once or twice a year- with a large chicken cesar salad. If your DH really wants it- can you have a personal size one for him and have another meal that both of you can have with his pizza? If you want any ideas, ask. I think it is helpful for us to try and figure things out!
Dinner last night ended up at California Pizza Kitchen (LOL!). The WW friend said she was going to order the sandwich, but it had too much bread. SHe asked what I was going to order and I said "the sandwich!" She just looked at me...
I got a cesar salad, a chicken sandwich and a cup of soup. I ate the sandwich openfaced, and left the other 2 pieces of bread. I skippped the ice cream later- just went to bed.
today
CM: 2 eggs, cream cheese (yum), coffee.
CM: Wendy's single,plain, no roll, water. (I was really not wanting to eat this without the roll but talked to myself and said 'it is not worth it to waste your day on a wendy's roll- it's just fuel'.
CM(planned)-chinese duck, moo sho veggies.
Hope some of the newbies join in on this thread- the more the merrier!
Right, Linda?
E
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 09:53

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi all,

I'm checking in quickly to say hello and to report that my weight today was down 1.5 pounds from yesterday. It's not my average but it was a nice suprise.

Have a great day!
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 10:22

BF:

Nice to see you in here, Dar! Yes, Eno, it would be great to get everyone in here and get this moving!

I'm down a pound from last weigh in. I don't do the averaging because I only weigh once a week. More than that and I get too focused on numbers instead of eating right.

Not sure what we'll be eating today. The breakfast shake and burger patty are working well for me in the mornings.

I had some discussions with DS over the weekend about his meals and how he wants them. He has asked that the portions be cut down! And we went through all the disposable containers and rubbermaid containers to find the ones he wants me to use for his lunches. This will make it so much easier! So he isn't exactly doing CAD/CALP but he's doing lower carb than before so I think that's good for him!

I'm off to get some cooking done so I can do my workout after lunch today!
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 14:07

BF:

I made a small salad, a burger patty and some baked sweet potato fries for lunch and had a small clementine for dessert! Delicious!
Closed Thread