Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 11:24
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Tuesday 11/26

Why would oatmeal make me more hungry?

Well today I did 15 minutes of stationary bike at level 2, harder.
Why? because If I petalled slow it would pause thus making the petal move without resistance, very annoying. So I have to train myself to be steady as well as stronger.

I also did my cross training for 5 minutes.

I was abit tired today, For a few things. Last night I was dancing with my family for about 20 minutes and also I haven't had a good nights rest in over a week. I keep dreaming about work and this reunion I'm going to. Very strange.

I was absolute starving again at 10am and I ate lunch about 20 minutes ago and I'm still hungry. This is so weird!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-02, 13:37

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The oatmeal may be triggering an insulin release, thereby making your blood sugar drop later on, causing hunger. We may need to find a lower GI food for you that doesn't spike your insulin but still give you enough fuel to complete your workouts. How are you eating yours? I put a pat of butter and a couple of tsps of heavy cream with mine. No sweeteners at all.

Do you find the oatmeal helping on your workouts? In other words do you feel like you have enough energy to complete the workout? I know we all get muscle fatigue. There is a difference between burning a muscle out because you really worked it, to running out of juice completely.

Let's see if anyone else has some ideas on how to give you some juice but not trigger hunger.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 10:47
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Wednesday 11/27

I did my 15 min walk on the treadmill and I did the 5 minutes of cross training. It was alittle hard today, I'm very tired. Last night for the first time in weeks, I slept through the night and my body just didn't want to wake up
I'm happy that I actually went to to the gym and finished my workout, when all I wanted to do was crawl in the covers

I think the higher carbs for breakfast has made it possible to do my whole routine. Without it my muscles just quit. I bought some macadamia nuts to snack on and I have an once mid morning and if I'm still hungry, mid afternoon.
Tomorrow the gym is close but I think my body needs a rest. Which is sad because I rested this weekend, I can't believe how tired I am after three days at the gym straight.

I was told this is a normal reaction to someone who is just starting to go to the gym regularly. I hope this too shall pass
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 11:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lessara, I have a couple of thoughts on the hunger and the tired feeling. I peeked through your Journal and you got some good advice from LCer in NW - resistance work, the added carbs and TOM will all contribute to water bloat (those 10 lbs). Returning to exercise and not having enough sleep (and TOM) will also all contribute to making you feel a lot more tired than usual.

With TOM passing, with your body adjusting to the increased exercise and carbs the water bloat should pass too.

One thing I did notice; you're having 1 cup of cooked oatmeal with splenda in the morning. That's probably more carbs than you need to fuel your workouts. 1/4 of a cup of dry whole grain oats (AkA steel cut oats or Irish oats) will give you 1/2 cup cooked or 24g of carbs; more than enough. But you need to eat them with something else; try adding some protein to that. Cold chicken, tuna or some cottage cheese will do the trick. You want to fuel the muscles but you want to provide them with amino acids as well. This will also further slow down how fast the carbs are absorbed and used by your body. It should help with that hunger.

Happy Tday!!
Nat
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 11:38
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Monday 12/2

Nat, The oatmeal I eat says a 1/2cup uncooked oatmeal is 22 carbs, is this incorrect? Its Quacker. Or am I reading this wrong...

Are amino acids only in meat?

Today's workout

15 minutes at 3.0 manual on Treadmill
5 minutes cross training at level 1
12 reps of 30lbs right and left leg

Taking 4 days off from the gym made today alittle tough but not as tough as I thought it might be. I was able to do my whole routine. I'm worried about something. I started taking ridalin last Wednesday for my ADHD. I passed out at my company lunch on Wednesday but I thought it was from the coffee I had that morning. (I have been without caffeine for months) But here I am on Monday with similar feelings of light headness, the difference my heart isn't pounding like it did last week. My mind is a blur of activity. Very distracting if you know what I mean.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 11:48
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Tuesday 12/2

Well I did do the gym, I did my 15 minutes on the treadmill and 3 minutes on the Cross trainer.
I kept it light because I was going right to my physical for my doctor and I didn't know how it would change the results to my examination. The nurse thanked me for telling her I was at the gym for my blood pressure was alittle high (She said that after a while my blood pressure won't go up its only as my body becomes fit that it might go up)
My pulse was very good.
I'm going through a battery of test for my heart. I don't have a problem but my doctor wants to rule out any heart problems since I'm 38 and also because I fainted last Wednesday.
I'm also up for a blood test to test my: liver, thyroid, sugar, cholesteral, etc.
I'll know about everything by the end of the month when I meet with him again for the second part of my physical.
The numbers should be interesting
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 12:01

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Kassie, I am sorry to hear about your fainting spell. Hope everything is okay. Please let us know how the tests turn out.

Did you faint right after a workout?

You are doing really well so far with your gym work Keep it up.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 11:36
Everyday Sane Psycho

Thumbs up Wednesday 12/4

I feel good today.

I only did the treadmill, but at 3.0 (What ever that means) for 20 minutes, I managed to walk a mile. A whole mile! Now I'm one of those people who doesn't mind walking a half mile... ok a fourth of a mile to the store or to a near by place. I can walk a mile. That means I could walk to my son's school a mile away. To the library, 3/4ths of a mile away, to the musium just less than a mile away. I suddenly feel a sense of freedom.

Another thing I am doing is having a little bit of Cheese (Gouda) about an ounce before eating my oatmeal. I don't seem to feel so light headed. It could be just in my mind
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 11:48
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy Thursday 12/5

I'm alittle bummed. I did the treadmill at 3.0 for 10 minutes and tried to do the cross training machine for 10min at level 1 but only made it to 7 minutes. I can't believe how tired out that cross training machine makes me!!

I know, I know, Be patient. But I feel like I hit a road block. Am I really too impatient or is there an unrealistic expectation going on.
How long till the weight will start dropping or am I doing too little for that?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 01:09
Everyday Sane Psycho

Default Friday 12/6

Today was my day of rest. I woke up and my left knee was really inflamed and in pain. I took two alives and rested it before work.
I'm glad I did. For tonight I'm pain free and looking forward to the gym tomorrow. I'm actually thrilled I listened to my body.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 11:49
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Monday 12/9

Well I didn't make it to the gym this past weekend, but I did go this morning. I did my 15min of treadmill at 3.0 and my 5 minutes of cross training as well as 12 regs each for my right and left leg at 30lbs.

I must be nuts. I lost 2 inches in my hips and yet I'm upset I haven't lost weight (in fact I gained 4lbs) and am getting fustrated Is there some point when the weight comes off as well?
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 07:09
Everyday Sane Psycho

Question Tuesday 12/10

I am alittle worried and I do mean little.
I was doing the treadmill at my normal speed of 3.0 when after 13 minutes, my left leg just wouldn't moved and I noticed I was throwing my left hip out trying to compensate for the failing limb.
so I stopped and went on the cross training. Basically I really worked my left arm for my left leg wasn't doing much. It was tired.
I'm at work now and its throbbing alittle so I'm taking some motrin. Am I overworking my leg or was my leg just having a bad day? Should I be concerned?
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 07:57
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Wednesday 12/11

The good and bad news about my left leg.

Some background. I have a knee condition where my knee
caps are quite where they are suppose to be, they are outward and not straight on my knees. That is until yesterday.

Yesterday my daughter did one of those running into you hugs that kids love to do and pop! My left knee popped back to the center of my knee! It hurt for a second but then it was fine.
I figure I had weak muscles all around my knee and when I started exercising, I have strengthened my knee with the cap off to one side, the muscles that hold the cap center are on vacation.
Well that push my daughter did popped it back into place.
Well I sure felt it today
My left leg is very weak, the vacation is over for those muscles. I figure in a few weaks, I will be back to 30lb lifts. But not today!
I couldn't even do more than 4 lifts!

Tomorrow I'm going to a cardiologist and I'm getting one of those 24 hour thing put on me. They want to see what my heart does when I go to the gym I know I'm ok there, my heart doesn't go past 150, usually between 142-146. Which I was told was good.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 12:46
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Monday 12/16

Hi all!

On Friday, I didn't go to the gym, I was too wired... seriously! I had 9 wires attached all over my chest and sides connected to a box connected to yet a bigger box. I couldn't even put my bra on!!
So to show what my heart does when I exercise, I danced all around my living room (no one watching).

Today I went to the gym, I could only do 10 minutes on the treadmill. For a couple reasons, one I had a wasa cracker with cheese on it for breakfast -> 7 carbs vs the 25 I eat with oatmeal but most likely because I missed a step on my sister's apartment's staircase and fell down. I bumped my right wrist, elbow, shoulder, hip and twisted my right foot. I didn't sprang anything and most of the pain is gone. Just a little sore. This happened on Saturday.

I don't feel bad about only doing 10 minutes, I'm sure I'm be back to what I was doing before soon.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 11:47
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy Thursday

I've been sick all week, and still going to work
I haven't been to the gym since Monday. I miss it!
But not only am I sick but my roommate is out with gout, a painful joint condition. He's getting better so we are slated to go back to the gym next week. I am worried that all that I finally acheived at the gym will go back to square one. I hope that its a small set back and not anything huge.