Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-07, 15:10

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
Normal maintenance calories for me are about 2500-2800 per day. Over a one week period I averaged over 4000 calories per day. 90% fat, 9% protein, and 1% carb. Over this period I took in an extra 8400 calories above maintenance. I "should" have gained about 2.5 pounds. I didn't. In fact, I lost 1 pound. Those extra calories found some way out, because they were not stored. Yes, it is calories in vs calories out. There is more than one way out.

JL, I see that you are under 10% body fat--that's great and not easy at all! Were you working out too? If so, that has to be factored into the equation of overall calories needed or TDEE for you nutritional jargon buffs

Also, I wonder if you were experiencing metabolic adaptations. I'm pushing myself to get to 5% BF, and it ain't freakin' easy, as I feel that my body is fighting against my going this low. Ellis wrote three chapters, two scientific and one anecdotal, about this same thing. I was just wondering . . .
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-07, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 220/195/185 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Ketogenic diet in mice

A high-fat, ketogenic diet induces unique metabolic state in mice Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Jun;292(6):E1724-39. Epub 2007 Feb 13.

Here's a nice little study done recently in mice. It showed a "unique" metabolic state in ketogenically adapted mice that included enhanced expression of fat metabolism related genes and decreased expression of fat synthesis genes. Mice on the ketogenic diet ate the same amount of calories as control mice, lost as much weight as calorie restricted mice, and were more active than other diet groups.

Mice that were made obese with a high fat and high sugar diet were then put on the ketogenic one and lost the excess bodyweight, improved glucose tolerance, and increased energy expenditure. Analysis of key genes showed similar changes as those seen in lean animals placed directly on the ketogenic diet.

The researcher's conclusion:
Quote:
These data indicate that KD [ketogenic diet] induces a unique metabolic state congruous with weight loss.

Maybe humans differ from mice in this. I'm not familiar with the studies mentioned before that did not show and advantage to low carb diets, so I'm assuming that there is no significant difference between people and mice here.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-07, 18:52

Thanks for posting the study eshapard, and I agree with the researcher's conclusion; I just wished that I had access to the entire study because it sounds really interesting. As far as using mice is concerned, I've noticed that sometimes folks dismiss animal studies in one breath and then turn around to use them as proof for their point of view.

So, I don't simply dismiss them off the bat because they are not human studies. If anyone has access to the article, you mind sharing cause I'd really like to read it. Thanks . . .
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-07, 07:45

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
JL, I see that you are under 10% body fat--that's great and not easy at all! Were you working out too? If so, that has to be factored into the equation of overall calories needed or TDEE for you nutritional jargon buffs

Also, I wonder if you were experiencing metabolic adaptations. I'm pushing myself to get to 5% BF, and it ain't freakin' easy, as I feel that my body is fighting against my going this low. Ellis wrote three chapters, two scientific and one anecdotal, about this same thing. I was just wondering . . .

Yes, I was working out. I had been previous to this experiment, so I didn't want to change anything. I was doing about 20-30 minutes of intense cardio about 3 times per week, and lifting weights twice per week. My lifting sessions were only about 20 minutes. I did try to factor in the exercise when figuring my caloric needs.

I have a hard time staying under 10% bodyfat without caloric restrction. Right around 10% seems to be when my body wants to be. (This is only an estimate using variouis online calculators) I once got really low using intermittant fasting and keeping calories very low....around 1500.......but as soon as I returned to my normal very low carb eating, I quickly regained. I can live with around 10%.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-07, 07:49

Quote:

I should confess, and add that right now I am at 164, not 160. So maybe I'm closer to about 10%, not the 8.6% that it shows in my info.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 03:27
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Gee Dane, I'm sorry that your head hurts..I'm just some ingnoramus who just doesn't get all that "scientific stuff" and the"etched in stone principles" that you espouse to.

Maybe when I get to the level of your years of experience in the health and fitness/wellness industry I may be able to comprehend some of your posts... that is my eternal dream.

Until then I will go back to reading "Weightlifitng for Dummies" and "Low carb diet for dummies"

Or maybe I should just google all day..hmmm
Gost, my reply came off quite rude--I wasn't trying to do that, and I apologize. I was poking fun at myself and the situation--that somehow I wasn't explaining my stance well enough, and was going to give up.

I believe you and I agree on more than we disagree.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 06:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
I should confess, and add that right now I am at 164, not 160. So maybe I'm closer to about 10%, not the 8.6% that it shows in my info.

Bro, there's no need to confess anything. Our body weight fluctuates up to 5lbs on a daily basis because of our fluid levels. So, being 4lbs more than what you have is no biggie IMO. It's not like your 10 or 15lbs over the weight you stated!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
Bro, there's no need to confess anything. Our body weight fluctuates up to 5lbs on a daily basis because of our fluid levels. So, being 4lbs more than what you have is no biggie IMO. It's not like your 10 or 15lbs over the weight you stated!

Very true. Thanks, I don't feel so bad now.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 09:37

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I'm sorry as well Dane..we obviously do have similar philosophies that we both adhere to..and don't, but it is all good.

I tend to get a little territorial these days, something I have been working on very intensely.

I support anyone who tries to convince everyone to pick up some iron..

We are all in this "brotherhood" together so we need to stick together..disagreements or not.

Thanks again
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 11:03

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

>grabs tissue.... blots eyes... snuffles out loud...<
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 11:58

BF:
Progress:

How did I know that my beloved Ghoulia would jump all over Danes and my kodak moment??

I'm jumping on a plane young lady to teach you a lesson!!!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 12:06

Oh goody! Adult contact!

I may be getting beaten with a wet bamboo cane, but at least we can have an intelligent conversation afterwards.

Standing of course.. for me.

Go ahead, fly here. I TRIPLE DOG DARE YOU.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 12:14

BF:
Progress:

How can I possibly have an adult conversation with someone who triple dog dares me?

I think you may have to increase your fiber intake..maybe an IV drip of metamucil and tumbleweeds.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 13:07

Well, that bamboo cane might have a bit of fiber - I'll eat that when you're done.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-07, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
I'm sorry as well Dane..we obviously do have similar philosophies that we both adhere to..and don't, but it is all good.

I tend to get a little territorial these days, something I have been working on very intensely.

I support anyone who tries to convince everyone to pick up some iron..

We are all in this "brotherhood" together so we need to stick together..disagreements or not.

Thanks again

Aww shucks (looking down at the ground while playing in the dirt with big toe . .) LOL!