Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-07, 07:32

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Kessler, that is fricking tough.. and it is fricking tooooo much. Do all that you can in 15 minutes of HIIT..get as much work done in that 15 minutes..

but cut back the interval length..

BTW you are not a sissy boy bro..I 'm not sure many guys can full out sprint for 45 seconds..

Agreed. 45 seconds is one hell of a long all out sprint! Once or twice, ok. But 10 times in 20 minutes.....it seems like too much to me. I have done Tabatas....all out for 20 seconds, then walk for 10 seconds. 8 sets. That is a killer. I feel like I'm about to hack up a lung after that workout.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-07, 09:29

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH
I think you are just being a pussy and eating too many carbs.

WTF? Bro, I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but this is coming from a guy that has posted one pix and absolutely NO stats! Before you start challenging a guy's manhood, I think you should at least post stats for us and pixs would be cool too.

Anyway, Kessler even when you are fat adapted, as I have been for years, there is a window when you can take in carbs after your workout. But you have to be fat adapted. Drop the CKD protocol because it's obviously not working for you.

Go back and re-read the thread on Anthony's website about when you're doing high intensity, glycotic activities that you can replenish your stores without gaining weight I've been doing this for more than 3 months now, and when I post my new pixs at the end of this month, you'll see that I'm not gaining weight, definition definitely, but fat nope. While I've learned a hell of a lot from Dr. Ellis (85% of what I know) , I'm nobody's fanatic and don't think that any one person has all the answers. As I suggested, try the glycogen replenishing, and cut down on your sprints. Master tabatas before moving on to the other workout, which is a bit extreme IMO. Hey, are you training for a sport?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 23:23

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 000/200/000 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesslerC
I challenge you and CVH to try it and then get back to me. If one of you reports that you had no problem doing it I'll post in here and admit that I'm a sissy boy and that I need to butch up and take it like a man.

I will give it a try, honestly, we should cross-train, you do one of my workouts, I do one of yours, see the pros and cons of each, let's you test yourself in other areas too, If I don't finish your workout, I'll post on here and admit that I'm a p**sy and I need to stop acting like a bitch and take it like a man.

Quote:
WTF? Bro, I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but this is coming from a guy that has posted one pix and absolutely NO stats! Before you start challenging a guy's manhood, I think you should at least post stats for us and pixs would be cool too.

WTF yourself, I wasn't flaming the guy, it was in good humor, I wasn't "Challenging his manhood", Dark Humor, it's good for you.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-07, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Mens Health TNT Diet
Stats: 298.5/233.8/205 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

CVH needs a hug. =)
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-07, 13:09

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 100 inches
BF:I wish I knew!
Progress: 85%

I agree with the original poster in that you need carbs for energy just because i picture every single runner i've ever seen at the front of a race starting line, professional or amateur, and i truly doubt that any single one of them does low carb. I know professionals do way harder workouts, but even the non-professional runners that are GOOD, there is still now way that any of them does low-carb. Like truly low-carb, where you don't eat grains, just meat and veggies and fat.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-07, 13:11

oops, one more thing... i want to see/hear from a serious/legit runner who does the atkins diet. not a runner who does like a few 5 mile runs here and there, but follows a rigorous training schedule and follows the low-carb diet.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-07, 13:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
oops, one more thing... i want to see/hear from a serious/legit runner who does the atkins diet. not a runner who does like a few 5 mile runs here and there, but follows a rigorous training schedule and follows the low-carb diet.

Does it really matter though? Who would you rather look like? The Marathoner or the Sprinter? Personally I think the marathoner body type looks frail, weak and frankly like they're starving...

See attaached pics... Marathoner vs Sprinter
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-07, 17:11

sprinters are way too bulky for me, but I'm female and would rather look like a lean runner than a bulky sprinter. guys usually like bulk.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 00:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
sprinters are way too bulky for me, but I'm female and would rather look like a lean runner than a bulky sprinter. guys usually like bulk.

Well you're female, so you wouldn't be that bulky. The point is, I think healthy semi-muscular / fit woman look way better than the ultra thin marathon look... A decent example of a fit / semi-muscular woman is the brunette on The Biggest Loser... Her name escapes me right now...
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 12:02

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I think most long distance runners look emaciated..you couldn't scoop a cup of muscle off of them.

Long distance running eats up to much of your precious muscle tissue..it is way to catabolic of an excercise.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 14:31

Plan: a mixture
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I agree with the original poster in that you need carbs for energy just because i picture every single runner i've ever seen at the front of a race starting line, professional or amateur, and i truly doubt that any single one of them does low carb. I know professionals do way harder workouts, but even the non-professional runners that are GOOD, there is still now way that any of them does low-carb. Like truly low-carb, where you don't eat grains, just meat and veggies and fat.

Ok, I'm one. I use to race mid-distance on a extremely low carb atkins style diet, meat, veggies and fat, that is all. For training I would avg. about 50-60 miles per week. I was quite successful and won almost every race I did. I had to stop racing for other health reasons but plan to start racing again this season, again on a low carb diet. It is more than possible, and I think you would be surprised how many low carb runners there are
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkpetro
Ok, I'm one. I use to race mid-distance on a extremely low carb atkins style diet, meat, veggies and fat, that is all. For training I would avg. about 50-60 miles per week. I was quite successful and won almost every race I did. I had to stop racing for other health reasons but plan to start racing again this season, again on a low carb diet. It is more than possible, and I think you would be surprised how many low carb runners there are

what were you health reasons for having to stop running?
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 14:59

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
what were you health reasons for having to stop running?

I didn't stop running I still run about 35 miles per week, plus cycle quite a bit and lift weights consistantly. I had to stop racing because I have crohn's disease (hence why I am on a low carb diet it is the only way I can attempt to be in remission) The anaerobic pressure of racing was too much stress on my system and thus started being problematic.

I am hopefully at a point that I can start up again for this up coming season, the point is that I was a top runner on a diet on 10-20 carbs/day sometimes less
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 15:08

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSYS
Does it really matter though? Who would you rather look like? The Marathoner or the Sprinter? Personally I think the marathoner body type looks frail, weak and frankly like they're starving...

See attaached pics... Marathoner vs Sprinter

Man I wish I could look like the sprinter, that is my goal, sadly I look more like a slightly skinnier version of the girl marathoner
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 07:13

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkpetro
Man I wish I could look like the sprinter, that is my goal, sadly I look more like a slightly skinnier version of the girl marathoner

There's a lesson. The sprinter trains high intensity, short bouts. The long distance runner trains low intensity, long bouts.