Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 13:15

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Ohh, I just want to spit when I hear the stupid things women are told about breastfeeding. And I'm so sorry you had to stop early, Melvan.

The truth is, there are amazingly few circumstances where a woman can't or shouldn't breastfeed breastfeed. While you are receiving active treatment for cancer, things like that. Not even having cancer is a reason to stop, only the treatment.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 20:10

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvan82
I'm so sorry I didn't read this post a month ago!! I quit nursing my 5 month old because I was told that I couldn't lc and nurse, that ketones would pass into my breast milk and my supply would diminish. I wanted to continue nursing, but I was so hungry all the time and having a really difficult time loosing weight with a low fat (2000 cal/day) diet, and I just really wanted to loose the weight. I had a really hard time weaning b/c I didn't really want to... Enjoy that special time of nursing while you have it!

It may not be too late! You may be able to re-lactate.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

I've been low carbing for the last 2 weeks while nursing my son and also taking 9 -610mg/day of fenugreek since last week. I wasn't sure if my milk supply had dipped so I started with the herb to be on the safe side and everything is going well.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Nursing Mom
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5'4
BF:Too much!
Progress: 0%
Smile

Hello all....I meant to update earlier but was unable to find the time! So far so good with the milk supply....I have been back teaching for about a week and a half now and my milk supply is doing great! I am taking lots of Fenugreek. I have also been in ketosis (purple on the stick--yeah!) for the past several weeks and that has not caused any problems with my milk supply....I make sure I get my veggies (and even some pumpkin too) and have made sure my fat intake is high (mmmmmm....lots of cream in the coffee, full fat cheese, etc.,). My OB also said I could low carb and it would not be a problem nursing the baby, so I was pleased to hear that too!

I have lost about 7 pounds (not so much I know, but I know I have lost inches as my clothes are looking great on me now and I am wearing shirts I could not wear before(even with my bigger nursing boobs! haha).

Luckily, my sister who watches my kids drives them over during my lunch break (I am only 5 min away) and I can nurse my son which I think is also helping my milk supply.....he usually will only take an ounce or two during the day when I am gone, but now nurses 4-6 times at night--which I expected, but does not make me any less tired! But, so far I am functioning....I just go to bed early during the week and nap when I can....

Thanks for all the suggestions about the Fenugreek etc....I appreciate it!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 05:09
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Excellent news!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 08:09
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Just wanted to thank you all ahead of time for this great conversation, which I am reading now (even though it doesn't apply yet). Everything you read and hear about breastfeedings seems to indicate that you can't do things differently (than when you were pregnant) but you are all inspiring me that I do have options!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 08:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I never found BF to make me lose weight either. I never lost weight the first 9 months after having a baby (which meant no weight lost between babies #1 and #2 since they're only 16m apart), and I never lost weight, nursing or not, until I started watching portion sizes and avoided filling up on nothing but carbs. This is my first time officially LCing and it's been nearly 2 years since DS weaned.

I'd say to give it a shot, and make sure you're getting plenty of calories and fluids. Plus, watch closely and add in more carbs if milk supply starts to get affected- I see on this thread that some women are able to do 20g carbs a day while nursing and others need 60g+ while nursing, so all our bodies are different.

BTW, I've never heard of women completely incapable of losing weight before weaning. I HAVE heard of women who hold onto "the last 10 or 15 lbs" while nursing only to have it "magically melt away" without any effort after weaning, or hanging onto the last bit of fat to be able to lose it the normal way (dieting) after weaning. If you've got more than that to lose, it should be possible to do so while nursing, although the weight loss might be slower.

Last edited by ruthla : Tue, Sep-04-07 at 08:23.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 14:45

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm still breast feeding my 1 yr old baby so far I've lost 27 pounds since early june. I waited until my baby was 10 months to return to low carb dieting. I wanted my milk to be well established & I was worried about my baby getting toxins from the weight loss.

Everything is going fine. I instead of the Fennel greek. Does anyone know how much MT to take. I'd like to increase my supply So when I pump I can get out more then 1 ounce.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 16:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

The best way to increase milk supply while pumping is to pump regularly- when you remove the milk, it tells your body "hey, we need more!" and more milk gets made. I sugest pumping daily at around the same time. Pumping one breast while nursing on the other works really well for many people who have trouble letting down for the pump- as long as the baby doesn't kick the pump!

If you pump and then the baby seems a little frustrated nursing, it's OK. The baby's suckling after you've pumped is what will REALLY get your body to make more milk- though it will probably take 2-3 days to see the results.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 03:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/176/135 Female 5ft.7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi everybody. Also a nursing Mom here. Wanted to add -- I went back to LC almost straight after birth. My baby girl is just one month old.

Milk supply is great, baby is gaining weight and is content, and I am losing weight easily. My milk supply on a LC diet is actually better than it was on a standard diet the first time around, so everyone is different.

My husband and I really looked into things, and with our doc's support, decided we felt it was safe -- really, what could be unsafe about cutting out sugar and refined bread?

As for the toxins, we eat mostly an organic diet, so I wasn't overly worried. I also try to keep weight lose slow on purpose.

I skipped induction, and follow a lenient LC plan with veggies, occasional LC fruit, meat, eggs, and extra cheese.

Best of luck to everyone!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 06:24

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

Like LOL79 I started LCing almost immediately. My son was born 10/01/07 and I started on 10/08/07 (although I did start cutting back on carbs a few weeks b/f I had my son). I'm doing more of a modified Atkins.

My dr is fine w/it as long as I :
1)get a minimum of 20-25 carbs/day and con't prenatal vitamins
2) keep a food journal for her to review (although I can't imagine her having the time!!!)
3) no induction
4)not to worry about not staying in ketosis and to make sure I enjoy this new time w/the baby rather than feel guilty about my diet

I've taken #4 to heart and tend to have a carb range of 25-75/day. Not the lowest of carbs but much better than what I was eating before.

As far as milk supply goes, it's still there in abundance! My son (child #3) is the first to actually latch on so I'm trying to get use to HIS feeding schedule. W/ children #1 & 2, I just pumped for 6 mo. I'm trying to avoid engorgement.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 08:59

Plan: my own
Stats: 290/189/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 72%

I know I am late but you need to take enough fenugreek that you smell like maple syrup.

Another thing to help supply is a tincture called Mother's Milk Plus. I know of several other things because I had to relactate with my 10 mo old. He has been totally breastfed since he was 2 1/2 mo.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/143/115 Female 62 inches
BF:37%/33%/25%
Progress: 22%
Default Carb craving!!

I am breastfeeding my 3 week old and I am starving! I am craving carbs like crazy! I even ate a cookie!! Ahhhh! I have been l/c for 11 years including all 3 pregnancies (maintenance phase- with occ cheats while pregnant ; ) )

Any advice? I don't remember this with my other two. I do remember being hungry & I would have a protein bar in the middle of the night, but not carbs per se.

P.S. regarding lactation, at 11 months nursing my son, my milk was diminishing and I took Fenugreek to no avail and was Rx'd Reglan per my request (I am a pharmacist). It did work, but has nasty side effects. If you do take it, take it for a SHORT period of time. I was sent into post-partum depression b/c it affects your dopamine levels. It was horrible. Lost 10 lbs in a few weeks - couldn't even TASTE food, insomnia, racing thoughts.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 12:43

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

At three weeks, I'd just eat whatever is necessary for you get through your day and night without strangling the baby.

Once your milk supply is well established and the baby has stopped feeding ALL the time, you can look at your food and see what carb level will work.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 13:34

Plan: atkin
Stats: 183/167/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

i'm breastfeeding my twins and i have no problem. in fact...they were born at 5 1/2 lb and at their 3 weeks Dr. visit one weigh 7lb an the other 6 1/2lb and they are now 18days. i have been LC since the day after i was Discharged. i have cheated many time since like some of you said, I have my moments of extreme cravings. My milk supply is fine since i can pump (with my bare two Hands) 4oz of one breast alone. I'll be getting the pump next week.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 14:32

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

I've been LCing for the past 3 weeks, since my son was 1 week old and have not had any problems w/breastfeeding. Lots of milk.

DANDR recommends that nursing/pregnant women avoid induction and stick to the maintence guidelines (and carb levels). Having said that, my carbs are between 20-50/day and, yes, there have been the occ cheats. I blame it on the lack of sleep!