Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 17:37

Plan: CALP
Stats: 270/224/160
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy Scales or should I say pictures got me down

I know I should be so very happy that I have lost so much weight but this weekend while my friend was visiting from my home state, we talked A LOT about weight. We even searched the internet for many success stories. We walked 3.5 miles both Saturday and Sunday and before she left we decided to take pictures of each other with the digital camera and post them on our new site so that next time we see eachother we can compare. After I saw what I looked like I went into a deep depression. I kept thinking... Oh My Gosh, I was 38 lbs heavier than this. Could that be true?
I have been losing about a pound a day for quite awhile but depending on how I stand on this scale will depend on what number comes up. I try to stay consistent but after seeing those pictures! EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I am doubting it could have ever been right.
I know I have to be losing because the scale goes down everyday but somehow I just wonder if I changed things and stood differently and what does that mean anyway? My pal said to just stick with the same scale and not worry about what number I am at but that the number is giong down.
I just can't believe how depressed I am about this whole picture thing. Is there anyone out there who has gotten more overwhelmed while they were losing the weight than before?
Perhaps I am less in denial and more back in to reality.
I would really like to hear from anyone out there going through this.
Help! A big Whiner.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi simplyme

Focus on what you have achieved. 38lbs is awesome!

You might not want be where you want to right now, but I'll bet you are feeling a whole lot healthier.

Just think, in two months time when you take that next photo you'll see even more progress.

Well done - you are doing great

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 18:25

Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Why is it....

that pictures never lie when they're of ourselves??? I avoid pictures at all cost. However, I did get up the nerve to take a digital picture of myself so that I could compare my progress to that picture. I also ended up having a polaroid picture taken of me on Valentine's day.. MUCH to my chagrin. The odd thing is, when I look in the mirror, I don't think I look all that bad. But when I look at those pictures.. yeesh!

But not to fear, you're 34% of the way to your goal!! I wish I could say I've lost 38 lbs already. I can't wait until I can!

Keep strong!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 19:04
Registered Member

Stats: 207.5/203/190
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking You're doing GREAT

A pound a day.....that is wonderful!!!

You have done more than you are giving yourself credit for. I think it's natural during the weight loss process to have self doubt....even when things are going right.

That's what's so great about this support group....we'll help you to see just how much you really have done.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 10:42

BF:

Thanks Lesley, Lisa and Scotty for the words of encouragement! I do realize that I should focus on the positive.

Lisa, you are darn right about the mirror compared to picture thing. Wow... guess I haven't taken in my WHOLE backside in the mirror. Perhaps I need to invest in some more mirrors.
I am thinking about not weighing for a couple of days to see if that helps with my anxiety. I should have taken measurements before I started so I could prove to myself that I am losing. hahaha.. I know that is what the scale is for but it seems that somewhere along the way it has lost credibility. Ah well....
I know I will continue this woe because I do FEEL better on it and at least I will lose instead of gain. I guess I never started out that heavy and before I didn't weigh a lot but only took measurements.
I am starting to ramble so I think for now I will just say thanks for listening and I appreciate your support.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 10:57

Plan: SOUTH BEACH
Stats: 151.2/146/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default KEEP IT UP SIMPLY ME

HI SIMPLY ME,
WOW, I WISH I COULD SAY I LOST ALL THAT WEIGHT. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I AM TOTALLY OBSESSED WITH THAT DAMN SCALE AND HOW I STAND AND IF I GET ON SLOWLY AS OPPOSED TO QUICKLY, ETC. ETC,
I THINK I'M NUTS SOMETIMES. I HATE LOOKING AT THE PICTURES TOO. I GET DEPRESSED LOOKING, ESPECIALLY SINCE I WAS A LOT THINNER THAN THIS LAST YEAR. YOU HAVE BEEN LOSING CONSISTENTLY. THAT'S AWESOME. WE SHOULD ALL BE SO LUCKY!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:59

Plan: Heller(CALP)
Stats: 230/222/140
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Have you tried the butter thing?

I know this sounds nuts...but it really helped me once and I think about it often. I read once that a pound of body fat ( due to its density) is about the size of one 1/4 pound stick of butter. So, when I had lost about 28 pounds (didn't seem like much when I weighed 200+lbs myself), I bought enough Blue Bonnet sticks to lay out 28 of them on the counter. Pretty cool. Kind of stack them up, maybe four to a pile. 38 pounds is a lot less you. Just think how big a pile you'll have 2 or 3 months from now. And when the people at the grocery store look at you really strangely, you can just smile to yourself and think, "At least I'm not carrying all of this around in my pants anymore!" Good luck!! Hugs!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 13:57

Stats: 199/185/139
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Rolls of Pennies work too!

I read something a long time ago that suggested you get a roll of pennies for every pound you lose. The pennies weigh approximately 1 lb. By the time you reach your goal weight, you've got some $$ saved up to buy yourself a new outfit!!

I forgot about it until Offdawagon mentioned the butter stacking thing (which I think is hilarious and might do that when I'm in the grocery store next!)

Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 10:59

BF:

Thanks for the tips!
I loved both the butter and penny idea! I weighed this morning... so much for staying away from it for a couple of days. I think I lost 1 or 2 more pounds so it would seem I have hit the 40 lb mark. I am feeling good today because I really cut back on my other meal last night. (not reward)
I am thinking about buying a elliptical machine to work out at home. I love to walk outside and when I lived in Seattle I could do it all year. However, in Dallas it gets bit HOT in the summer time. I really like the elliptical machine because it is easy on my knees and I can really get a work out.
I have been kind of waiting to start excercising every day until I started slowing down on the weight loss to help push through any plateau. I am not sure if that is smart but I am going by most of this intuitively. That is how I lost before... well that and not eating carbs more than one time a day. Funny how I didn't even know that is what I was doing back then. I just want so thank all of you for seeing me through my nerotic moments. I so appreciated that someone else paused to think about how they stood on the scale and how fast they got on. HA! I am not alone!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 11:27

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:
Default Way to go!

Hey, SimplyMe, you are doing great!

If you're on CALP you know that you should be averaging your weights for the week. For me, this has relieved some of the "scale anxiety." I don't let daily fluctuations "get" to me.

Can you feel a difference in your clothes? Thirty eight pounds HAS to make a difference in the way your clothes feel!

Today I hit the 25 pound mark from my highest ever weight. (Not my starting weight on CALP, though.) All I can say is I must have been packing myself into my clothes because after losing twenty five pounds, my clothes are still not loose! (Not as tight, but not loose.)

You are doing so well -- don't let those scales make you lose your confidence or your commitment.

#11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 16:44
Pending Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 208/192/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default daily weigh-ins

Do you have to weigh yourself everyday on your diet? I tried my diet in the past (Atkin's) and found that when I weighed myself daily and only lost a pound, I was upset. Even though the average healthy weight loss is 2 lbs/week. A pound a day is great...but 5-7 lbs a week is even better. Save one day as your weigh in, unless the diet requires daily weights. That way you have a goal, and the week goes by much faster when you aren't focusing on "How much did I lose today" Besides...bigger numbers are better
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 16:50

BF:

Stormy,

Quote:
Can you feel a difference in your clothes? Thirty eight pounds HAS to make a difference in the way your clothes feel!

I do feel a bit of difference but I would have thought, as you, that it would have been a lot more. I think it is coming off "all of me" instead of one part and I suspect that the next 20 lbs will really make a difference. I also have thought that I must have really been stuffed in my clothes but since I have most stretchy type of fabrics it isn't as clear cut.
I know about averaging the weights but my problem wasn't that it was going up on some days it was that depending on how I step on the scale it may be different.
Thanks for the input and congrats on your loss!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 23:41
Registered Member

Plan: Carbo Addicts modified
Stats: 199/185/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Can I afford to weigh myself?!?

I guess I'm not the only one who has a relationship problem with a machine. I learned years ago that my mood can be raised or shattered by that stupid piece of equipment. This time around I've decided to use a different approach. I ask myself before getting on the scale if I can afford the answer that machine is going to give me. If I'm feeling a bit shaky with me, I tell myself its best not to rock the boat today. If I'm eating properly it will all work out in the end. I don't want one trip to the scale to sabatoge all that I'm doing for myself. Its not worth the cost!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 06:17

Plan: SOUTH BEACH
Stats: 151.2/146/135
BF:
Default I AGREE

YOU ARE RIGHT BETSY. MY DAY DEPENDS ON THAT DAMN SCALE. IT RULES MY MOODS. BUT I AM SUPPOSED TO WEIGH MYSELF ON CALP, THEN DO THE AVERAGE AT THE END. I'M SKIPPING TODAY, BECAUSE I HAVE PMS AND I AM ACTUALLY AFRAID TO BE IN A BAD MOOD. I'V EBEN DEALING WITH THE SAME 2 POUNDS UP AND DOWN ALL ALONG. I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE.
GOOD LUCK!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 06:22

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Weighing in

A pound a day is too much weight loss. To be healthy and not regain as soon as your off is 1 to 2 lbs a WEEK. I would check with my doctor about this. You don't want to have health problems down the road. Every book and PREVENTION Magazine all say no more than a 1-2 lb a week. How long have you been losing at this rate? Wawtigress