Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Reading about all the KimKims stuff makes me think about cults. I've read where they keep their followers malnourished so their brains end up starved and clouded. Then they are easily manipulated and "brain washed". I noticed how KimKims survivors talk about not feeling like themselves and if they even try and voice concerns, they were shut down as being "non-believers" or "naysayers".

Just my two cents...
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:47

Plan: General
Stats: 170.6/170.6/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I dont know about the cult theory, although some people on the site are really pushy and "cultish" but when something works as well as KK does it's easy to just ignore the warning signs.....and there are so many of them.

I got to the point that I was always feeling sick, I got dizzy every time I stood up, wether I did it slowly or not, and I was eating literally 3 bites of chicken a day....because I wasnt hungry and the daily loss is very motivating, BUT my life is worth way more than the daily loss is.
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 09:59
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Any environment or group that does not allow the free and open expression of ideas is a red flag to me. Where a charismatic leader is present that sifts through all the communications between members and "sanitizes" away anything that does not fit into the overall dogma of the group, I tend to worry. Intelligent debate is healthy, especially when used as a means to empower the group - when it's leader is thoroughly versed in the science and truth behind the claims and is able to debate any criticism in a polite, factual way. The fact that Kimmer has shown a strong disdain for any form of critique is another red flag.

Add to that the fact that there is a level of 'control' asserted by Kimmer over the members on what the post and WHERE - to the point of even banning members for their comments on other websites, all under the guise of keeping the "negative nancys" at bay, just makes me shake my head.

Several times she ordered her members off other forums and comment lists, told them in no uncertain terms to retreat to the safety of their "positive place" - in an effort to keep them sequestered from the criticism.. well, that's just plain scary.

I do not think that Kimmer set out to create a diet cult.. I won't even go so far as to say that Kimkins IS a cult, but there are several indicators that show clearly that she is running the group in that way.

I had posted a list of these warning signs and cult-behaviour signs on another forum and many of the Kimkins members saw that and assumed I was referring to them as "cultists", which is untrue of course. However, looking at what goes on within that websites forum and elsewhere, certainly does show that there is the propensity, and even tendency, for things to get out of hand quickly.

Out of interest - I've heard many people say they felt "sucked in" to that plan.

More things that make you go hmmmmmm.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:07

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMac
...I do not think that Kimmer set out to create a diet cult.. I won't even go so far as to say that Kimkins IS a cult, but there are several indicators that show clearly that she is running the group in that way...

i don't think she did either...not at all. i do think she had good intentions when she started the site...everyone there did, i really believe that.

unfortunately though, some things have developed, for many reasons i'm sure...that have changed things to something...very different.

and for me, based on the many stories i'm hearing now of people with some medical repercussions of their kimkins experiences...very sad.
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I've updated the first message in this thread to include new links that have been posted recently, but are buried in the last few pages. That way, they're all in one spot.

I'll try to keep the list updated as new links are added .

Doreen
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:14

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

It's the same thing--everyone wants a quick result and doesn't want to put in the work, and those who know that profit.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
I've updated the first message in this thread to include new links that have been posted recently, but are buried in the last few pages. That way, they're all in one spot.

I'll try to keep the list updated as new links are added .

Doreen

great idea! thanks!
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 10:35

Plan: General
Stats: 170.6/170.6/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
It's the same thing--everyone wants a quick result and doesn't want to put in the work, and those who know that profit.

Of course everyone wants quick results, that just human nature, but you have to be able to think rationally and not get sucked in to the craziness, it is so easy to get pulled in, I know first hand the craziness and still I think "If I just eat this way I will stay thin, and lose MORE"

Fortunately for me I am a person that is able to step away from it all and take it all into perspective, I am blessed with wonderful friends and a husband that cares enough to know what I am doing, and they have all pointed out the dangers of what i was doing and how it "could" possibley be life threatening, add that to how I felt while doing the "unwritten plan" and I knew I had to stop.....

I feel for the people that see the red flags, feel sick all the time "but that's normal right?" and still stick with it.....or worse yet are instructed to take laxatives daily to help keep them from getting "backed up" just so they can lose another half pound daily...

I wont risk my health, and my life to lose a few pounds

Last edited by meplus1 : Wed, Aug-01-07 at 11:03.
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 11:00
~writes for Him~

Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessrhi
Reading about all the KimKims stuff makes me think about cults. I've read where they keep their followers malnourished so their brains end up starved and clouded. Then they are easily manipulated and "brain washed". I noticed how KimKims survivors talk about not feeling like themselves and if they even try and voice concerns, they were shut down as being "non-believers" or "naysayers".

Just my two cents...

I wonder what her goal would be in creating members like that? They only pay once, not monthly, and don't continue to generate revenue for the site. Unless they buy kimmerwear.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 11:02

BF:

meplus1:

i'm SO GLAD you're better now!
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 11:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB
I wonder what her goal would be in creating members like that? They only pay once, not monthly, and don't continue to generate revenue for the site. Unless they buy kimmerwear.

LOTS of new members are brought in by current member referrals.

family, friends, co-workers see the loss and ask, "wow, how are losing so quickly"...and voila, a new person has been given the kimkins site info.

and then they join and tell others and so on, and so on.

and even if someone joins and gets the info and decide they can't or won't do it...that's still $60 a pop she gets to keep.

i'm sure that happened with a LOT of the WW mag people who joined. 'cause the sample menu etc. they saw in the mag is NOT what they saw when they signed up and i bet many of them said "no way" when they saw it or after the first couple weeks of trying it. most people stall and burn out by the end of week 2 and give up.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 11:23

Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm not saying Kimkims aka Heidi started out to make a cult or that it is a cult. It just reminds me of what I've read about cults.

I do think she needs absolute control over everyone around her though. That much is very obvious by her actions. She hates any sort of opposing thoughts when it comes to her dogma.

As for WW, I've seen lots of people starve on that program, avoiding all fats (including healthy ones) and lose weight. But as one friend said, she was convinced her weightloss was lean muscle and water. Her body was super soft and sloshy. She now eats organic foods and works out and feels much better with a firmer, more muscled body.

Meanwhile, I have a co-worker who has lost 50lbs over the summer and looks not too healthy. She once snatched an avocado out of my hand to lecture the lunchroom that its a food to avoid.

*sigh*

BTW, I did once look at KimKims, but my red flag was when she said diet soda was fine instead of water and she heartily endorsed the use of laxatives. And trust me, as someone who is pre-diabetic and has a sluggish metabolism, I was so tempted by that program since my weightloss is sloooooooooooooow.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 11:48

BF:

my bad...when i mentioned WW in my post, i meant the "woman's world" magazine (where kimkins was featured in june)...

i suppose you mean WW as in weight watchers?
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 12:10
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Wait for the "Premium" memberships to start to emerge, with on-going monthly fees!
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 13:02
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Wait for the "Premium" memberships to start to emerge, with on-going monthly fees!

Rumor has it she's been whining that the site is going to need to impose a monthly charge.....
Closed Thread