Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 07:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi Apple135, I had what I can only describe as living hell when I went through menopause. I had every symptom a woman can have and I seemed to have them 100 times worse than most women. It lasted for a few years but slowly just went away. I found supplements, exercise, diet and a good friend to chat with helped. I can't believe my husband never walked out on me, I don't know if I could have put up with him if he was acting the way I did. It is now just a bad memory and life is great, hubby and I are closer than ever, kids are grown and gone and I don't seem to worry myself to death over nonsense. There is life after menopause even though at times it didn't seem like there would be. Hang in there, it does get better.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 10:50

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Perimenopause is the worst. I used to feel like, if I were an iceskater, that I just couldn't get my feet underneath me. I'm about to turn 54 now, and have been menopausal for a few years now and it's a lot easier once it's done! So just hang in.

Supplementing with magnesium helped me with the emotional ups and downs as it's good for stress. It also helped with insomnia.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-08, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan: Kinda LC
Stats: 171/151/135 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hello everyone. Thanks for the tips. I think I have been menopausal for a few years. But the symptoms have got worse in the last 6 months. Not sure if it is true but I have heard that the average age is 52 to 54. I guess it is probably different for everyone. I Hope I get to the other side soon. hehe. My weight has been fluctuating up & down about 5 pnds. I feel like I am on a roller coaster. It does seem to get a little better when I excercise. I just need to stick with it. I have some of the magnesium in the cabinet, so I might try that too. Oh I forgot to ask if any of you had joint pain? I am not sure if its the menopause or arthritis? I just started taking a supplement for that also. Not sure if it is going to help?
Every one have a great day low carbing.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 07:39

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I'll be 52 in a couple of months. Right smack in menopause. Hysterectomy five years ago, kept ovaries, they stopped working about two years ago. No HRT as breast cancer runs high in family.

My symptoms seem cyclical - for few weeks hot/cold flashes at night, disruptive sleep (I take something when needed), foggy brain (related to lack of sleep I'm sure!). Then everything calms down with virtually no symptoms for a few weeks.

Although my weight hasn't changed but a couple of pounds, my body shape has shifted big time. I'm up an inch in my midriff, waist, and hips. I hate this symptom most of all.

Hang in there ladies!

Shirley
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 06:41
Registered Member

BF:

I don't know much about HRT but I have heard bad & good things about it. I am afraid to take it also. Thought about checking out some natural OTC remedy's.
Just wondering? Do any of you have cravings when you are having symptoms? I have had a large appetite and cravings all week with my pms symptoms. But no period. This has been happening a lot lately & I am having a hard time sticking with my diet because of it.
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-08, 15:21
Registered Member

Stats: 165.4/145.0/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Me, too!

May I join you? I have been reading the LC threads for the last few weeks but am not sure if I am "replying" in the right way. DH and I started Atkins about 4 1/2 weeks ago - I have lost 11 lbs so far but seem somewhat stalled. I am ok with that 'cause I am losing lots of inches!

I am 56 and all this menopause talk - wow! Can I relate to that! I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 22 and started HRT immediately - just wonderful stuff in those pills! At age 50 the doc made me get off them and whoo hoo............what followed was 5 years of pure hell. Hot flashes doesn't even begin to describe what I had - I could be anywhere anytime and all of a sudden - in 5 seconds time with NO warning, my head would be soaking wet, running in my ears, down my neck, etc - so embarassing - I have had to leave church, stores, etc and just walk out 'cause it was so bad. And no sleep - maybe a couple hours a night - I was exhausted all the time. A LOONNNGGGG!!!!! 5 years! Fortunately in the past year it has pretty much subsided - happens once in awhile but not nearly so bad.

Anyway! DH and I are sticking to induction for awhile - he is diabetic so the LC way is the best for him - and works for me too. I want to lose about another 25 lbs and he wants to lose another 20 - then maintaining - if any of you are like me, not really fat - it's just that the older I get, the more the weight is re-distributed in weird ways. All my flab is in my hips and thighs - we are also working out at the gym 4-5 days a week so that can't do anything but help. I also have RA which is kicking my butt right now so I am hoping losing the weight, the meds, etc - will give me some of my life back.

Hope y'all don't mind that I jumped in here - nice to 'meet' others who are going through the same thing!

Cheers! Cindiedee
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 05:18
Registered Member

Plan: whatever works
Stats: 145/131/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:< than yesterday
Progress: 93%

Welcome Cindiedee! You have had a time. I've gotta say, you are a real trouper. I had it pretty easy during menopause. The hot flashes drove me nuts but that was about the worst of it. I find too that after menopause it's trickier losing the weight. "Re-distributed in weird ways" LOL oh, yeah! I know what you mean! good luck & keep posting (I'm very intermittent but I always come back... )
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 12:31
Registered Member

BF:

Hello Cindiedee I am kinda new too. It sure is nice to talk other ladies who are going through the same thing. My husband is also diabetic so I can relate to that also. Wow thats awesome that you work out at the Gym.Exercise makes a big difference. I noticed that you said that you have RA & I hope its ok to ask? Just wondering if you know what kind of test are done to find out what kind of arthritis a person has? I'm 90 % sure that I might have it, but I don't know what kind. I have a lot of joint stiffness, my whole body aches, Its like my muscles are affected too. It kills my knees to get down on the floor for anything. I thought it might have something to do with Peri-meno but I am not sure? Thanks in advance for any info you can send my way. Have a wonderful day!

Last edited by apple135 : Thu, Oct-16-08 at 13:18.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:
Default Ra

Apple - no I don't mind you asking about RA at all - it is veryyyyyy frustrating to get a diagnosis! I have had it for years but until a few years ago it went undiagnosed - several years ago I was told I had fibromyalgia - so I went out and bought a book and read it - and KNEW I DID NOT have fibro despite what my doc told me. My bones and joints have hurt, throbbed, swelled, etc for years. My brother was diagnosed with RA when he was 48 (he is now 53) and finally a doc had a lightbulb moment and said - wait - that can be hereditary! So, they did the bloodwork for RA and inflammation and voila! I was totally positive (but you can have RA and have a negative blood test) - my numbers were even higher than my brother's. It has been trial and error with the meds - first prednisone which helps with an immediate flare - but you also have awful side effects - weight gain being a big one. Then I was on to methotrexate but after 5 weeks, I had trouble breathing - got off it and sure enough, I could breathe fine. Then on to Arava for 6 weeks and nada - did nothing. So now I have just started Humira injections (have only had one) every other week - will take 3 injections to know if it will work. I will tell you, it is the most painful injection I have ever had - you have to give it over 10 seconds steadily and the pain is incredible but I would do it every day if it helps the RA - I also take Tylenol #3 - 2 pills 2 -3 times a day - it takes the edge off the pain but doesn't make it go away. I hate living on pain meds but I have days where it is so hard to walk, to get up and down, and most of all the worst where I have it is in my hands and spine - found out a couple months ago I have osteoporosis and my spine is degenerating at a fast clip - so my goal is to stay active and not end up crippled in a wheelchair. So I will do whatever it takes - it is frustrating - like you, if I get on the floor, I cannot get up without DH helping me. I also can't open a jar, a can, even a diet pepsi can any more. I have to ask DH to do it all and he doesn't mind at all but I hate feeling 'helpless' at times and having to ask him to do these things for me. So, if you are having bone and joint pain (with or without swelling), ask your doc for a blood test for RA, ANA and inflammation - but keep in mind many folks have sero-negative meaning it doesn't show up in the blood test but will show with xrays, swelling, pain, etc.

On another note - I have now lost 13 lbs - hooray! Tonight we are having the cauliflower pizza for dinner - don't know how it will taste but it sure looks and smells great! Because DH is diabetic it has always been a challenge - he can eat a piece of cake, pie, etc and his blood sugar won't change at all - but give him carbs (potatoes, pasta, rice, etc) and his blood sugar goes sky high - so this is the way he HAS to eat and he is really enjoying it - but I am trying hard with all the recipes so he doesn't feel deprived. He LOVES to eat and I on the other hand, have never been hungry in my life. I don't care if I ever eat (I do drink all day - water and tea) and just the thought of food in the morning makes me gag - but my doc says my body will never lose weight 'cause it always thinks it is in starvation mode - that it hoards any food I give it 'cause it never knows when or if more food is coming. So....we are different but I am trying hard and eating 3 meals a day and staying at/under 20 g carbs per day - and I am losing inches and lbs so I will keep going!

Best of luck to you with the artheritis symptoms - your doc really needs to test you for ALL the arthritis's so you can get some help and relief for your pain.

Hope to chat with you again - it is nice to 'talk' to others who are going through the same challenges (i.e., eating, old age, menopause, etc)! Sorry - didn't mean to write an epistle!

Hugs, Cindie
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 14:35
Registered Member

BF:
Default Forgot to tell you.....

Apple - forgot to tell you - most family docs/internists can test you for RA but they aren't very effective in treating you. You need to find a good rheumatologist - they only work with all kinds of arthritis and are up to date on the newest treatments.

My rheumy has been a Godsend to me - he is so kind and caring and understands how much pain I (and others) are in - find a good one who LISTENS to you - believe me, I went through 2 or 3 before I found him. The others just wanted me to take all the drugs in the world with no explanations, no help with med problems, etc.

Cindie
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 21:01
Registered Member

BF:

Cindiedee Thank you so much for all of the info, I really appreciate you taking the time to share.Yeah I really need to go to the doctor,To find out for sure.
My husband has osteoarthritis in his neck. He fractured it in a wreck years ago. He has had 2 surgeries. He has a lot of pain & a hard time sleeping. He has to take pain meds just to make it through the day & go to work.
Sorry to hear that you have had such bad experiences with your meds .I hope the Humira works for you. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Getting excercise & eating healthy. Wow you lost 13 pnds. Thats Awesome!
Hang in there you can beat this.
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 18:18

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:

Hey girls can I join this thread? I just now noticed it. Perfect for me! I'm 54. Always been thin and healthy. Last checkup fasting BG was 103. Not good. Pre diabetic I guess. I'm 5'4" and weigh 115. Don't think I can lose much more weight so I've been pretty strict at the low carbing for the past month and trying different herbs out. Don't want the drugs. Still exercising as often as ever but have toned it down a bit due to aching joints.

As I was reading posts in this thread I came across one by a women who's doctor told her that the only reason she didn't have hot flashes was because she was fat..............very rude and untrue. I had my last period at 48. Only had one hot flash that I can recall. I have no clue why. I would say it has been the exercise but I have a friend who exercises more intensely than I do and she is 58 and has been struggling with hot flashes for several years unless she stays on hormones. so who knows. Anyway hello all and thanks for letting me post.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 21:28
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Hi Cindiedee

Just wondering how you are doing? I hope your feeling better. You have been through so much. After reading your story about all you have been through, It makes me realize that maybe I don't have it so bad...your such an inspiration.
Hope you have a wonderful pain free day!
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 06:28

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:

cindiedee I have a question and I don't know if you can answer or not but I have been wondering for a couple of years if I had RA. I am not in near as much pain as you are but my joints ache all over. Mostly my hands and feet. They burn and ache and it's mostly in the humid weather which we have a lot of here in Houston. I should go to the doc and get a test done but I dont' want to go on drugs. If I get in bad enough pain I will have to but so far I've been able to control it with herbal anti inflammatories. And sometimes I don't even take them.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 08:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hello soapluvr I have the same symptoms as you ,My whole body aches. My knees and legs have really been acting up lately & its affecting my work outs, Some days I wake up and I am so stiff that I just cant get motivated to go to the gym. I haven't been to the doc. either. No health ins. at this time. My main goal is to find out what kind of arthritis it is, RA or Osteo. I was just wondering if you would mind sharing what kind of herbal supplements you use? I really need to find something to help these aching joints of mine