Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 17:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/150 Female 5feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

hi,

i just wanted to stop an say hello. I gained 15 lbs over the holiday so i'm back on board i weigh in tonite. Wish me luck!

Judy
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 18:20
I must do it for me!

Plan: South Beach influenced
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:100% needs work
Progress: 0%

Good luck Judy!

~Bella~
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 23:33
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Judy! Sending good lc vibes your way!! Denise
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/170/110 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I turned fifty and just missed my period ( I think) or perhaps it has been simply "delayed" but I am showing signs of hot flushes and irritability. It could also have something to do with my "obesity" (I am 5 feet and I look awful at 170 lbs. I am doing atkins and I've just started. I LOVE this thread because just yesterday.. I was feeling really "old".
I love you guys for the inspiration that you bring me as I start this new "life"! Be blessed!
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-08, 08:34

Plan: M&E
Stats: 199/147.5/120 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 65%

just stop by to say hi also i;ve gained 17.5 lbs but been back on m&e for 2 days and lost 5 lbs so i think i'm back on the road again..i don't want to be fat this summer.......
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-08, 18:21

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%

Age is just a state of mind, as they say! Turning 50 is a hard one, but then you just need to forgot about it and get yourself into the best shape of your life! Get the weight off and you'll feel like a new person! When I turned 50 in 1999, I was in horrible shape....40 lbs heavier than my best weight, my joints hurt, my back hurt so bad I could hardly stand up getting out of bed, I had migraines, I felt horrible. I felt old. But at that point, I rebelled and decided to take control of my life. I'd seen enough really healthy women in their 50's, 60's, 70's, I was determined to go in that direction.

So I lost 25 to 30 lbs doing a 12-week Body for Life program, and that included a very strenuous workout program 6 days a week (weights and cardio). At the end of this, I was in better physical shape than I'd been in perhaps EVER, because I'd never worked out that religiiously. So here I am 8 years later....I'd still like to drop another 10 to 20 lbs, but I'm in good physical shape, have strong muscles, I still work out at the gym several times a week when I can, I do bicycling in the summer, and I ski a LOT in the winter. I don't feel 58, I feel like I could be in my 30's. I'm in better shape than I was in my 30's, though. Everywhere I go I see women my age and much older who are in great shape. When I ski, I see people in their 60's and 70's skiing.

My loss of weight, my diet, my exercise eliminated the arthritis symptoms and headaches. I had a 25 year asthmatic condition which went away from doing these things PLUS from eliminating gluten from my diet.

The point is, you can take charge of yourself to to a large extent determine how you are going to feel for the rest of your life. If you do nothing, one thing is certain: you won't feel better and better. Over time, you'll probably feel worse and worse.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 17:24

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

Hi everyone can I join in her, I am 51, and will be 52 later this yr. I have the mind set of the women outside the US. I know I am in Menopause, I can't stop it, I can't help it, so I just tell my self its ok, and if I feel real Meopausie I let my family know. I have taught them its a part of a womens life and if you are Patient with me, and really work on understanding it, then we all will get through it fine. I get hot flashes all day on and off, and all night on and off, on with the covers and off with them all. I wake up endless times a night. I feel tired and foggy minded most of the time. My skin is drier, and I have lost the thought I always had for myself, I thought I was cute. I have the same thought for Men. But if I just new how long these feeling were going to last or if they will come back, for I'd be happier. I had my Uterus removed back in 99, thanks to my large babies and my Diabetes. I started having hot flashes in 2000, and in the last yr, sex on the mind, GONE, GONE, GONE. You could stick the most handsome man on earth in front of me and I think if he acted sexy I would walk away, not because it makes me sick, I just feel empty in that department. I don't know what to do about that. Does anyone have a idea?
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 17:48

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I absolutely love being 53......Im vibrant and more confident than ever in my life...the only downside is the belly fat thing...and Im 10 lbs heavier..oh yeah hot flashes or as I call them "episodes of my personal summer"..I love my life! I am adventurous and have no regrets...ok not many regrets...
this is the best time of life. IMHO
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 18:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi ladies. Haven't been by in a while. Hismouse, I wish I had something I could say that would help. I haven't gone through much yet. I thought I was entering menopause, but the test said "negative". I'm sure there will be some ladies who have already gone through those experiences who might have some insight for you.

Right now I'm feeling more like Jonahsafta. It's a wonderful time of life for me.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 10:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi, I started a thread in the challenge forum:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365496

Over 50 ~ keeping goals challenge. Please join us if you are interested.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 19:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 262/174.2/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Turning 50 in November, 114 pounds to lose, doing atkins induction right now for about 5 more days then OWL. Just joined a fittness center and tonight was the first chance I got to use it. I actually enjoyed it.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 09:45

Stats: 235/229/134 Female 5'2"
BF:R U Crazy
Progress: 6%
Default Over 50 Menopause

Hi,
I noticed no one has been here for awhile. I am a long time lurker, and now back on plan for the first time in a long while, too.
Menopause - what can I say? I have been in total menopause for 3 years now and it was a roller coaster.
On the libido, if you continue to go through the motions to have sex, it will return, not like it was, but orgasms do have great health benefits. Emotional connections, stress relief, endorphins, etc. And the longer you ignore having sex, the less the interest is there. Kind of like use it or lose it in some ways. Get a vibrator. I know it sounds like work sometimes, but you will be glad you did once you start trying again.
Brain fog - I might suggest (not a Doc) the antidepressant Wellbutrin. I took it for about 9 months and it really helped with menopause symptoms like concentration and brain fog and the up and down mood swings.
Hot flashes - cut down on salt and caffeine, take a cool shower before bed and use a fan near you. Have sex - it will help you sleep, seriously.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-08, 13:41

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

Just peeping in to say hi. Been away because my other computer got killed byu lightning and I had to go buy a new one because the old one could not be fixed.
But I am back now.
Doing ok with my eating, down a couple more lbs.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: whatever works
Stats: 145/131/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:< than yesterday
Progress: 93%

bump...
i'll be 53 this August. I just lost 5 pounds on induction YIPPEE!! so happy...i'm post menopausal thank God, and my hot flashes are pretty much behind me...good luck to everybody

SissyPoo, I love your avatar.

Last edited by Lightbird : Sun, Jun-15-08 at 09:31.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 11:44

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am 62 yrs. old, you all are young compared to me.
CMCM, I have some health problems to that I hope will go away or ease up some when I finish losing all my weight.
Thats the reason I need to lose it is for my health.
I am down 30 pounds from when I began so its coming off. I am doing the Atkins low carb.
Is anyone else doing that plan?

I want to welcome all the new ones who have come to join us here.
Post often so we can get to know you better. I am sure you will like it here.