Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-07, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/149/120 Female 5 feet 2 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi Everyone
I got a major cramp in my left calf lastnight. I'm taking the calcium/magnesium. Any ideas on what might cause that? Haven't had one of those for years.
Leah
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-07, 16:55

Stats: 191/156/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hello, anyone out there? I'm looking for a great place to make friends and talk low carb - among other things! This forum looks good, but not very active for a while. Does anyone even read these posts anymore? If so, let me know you're out there!

Thanks!
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 05:27
I must do it for me!

Plan: South Beach influenced
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:100% needs work
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrcLinda
Hello, anyone out there? I'm looking for a great place to make friends and talk low carb - among other things! This forum looks good, but not very active for a while. Does anyone even read these posts anymore? If so, let me know you're out there!

Hi Linda!
I'm here. My name is Bella. The boards have been a little slow lately because of the Holidays. But it is a great place to make friends and get lots of support.
You should start a journal, it really helps. You can track your progress and look back to see what mistakes if any that you make along the way.
Good luck on your lo-carb journey!
~Bella~
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 05:43
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%
Smile leg pains

Hi mommycakes
About the leg pains/cramps: I've been there! First, stop the calcium and just take magnesium as per manufacturer's recommendation (but not magnesium oxide because the body can't absorb it very well.) Also, nuts are a good dietary source of magnesium and a good low carb snack. If the cramps/pains continue, you may want to consider having your thyroid checked. I went through this a couple years ago, and while magnesium alone helps quite a bit, the cramps/pains were part of a bunch of symptoms that indicated underactive thyroid. In fact, I'm seeing the doctor today about trying a prescription for Armour thyroid meds.
Hope this was helpful for you!
Best of luck!

#50   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 07:05

Plan: conivore
Stats: 183/155/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

hello everyone,
Hope ya don't mind if I join in. I just turned 50 the last of November. I am not really new I have posted several times on this forum but not lately. I read it daily and am very inspired by all. I am having a hard time losing my weight this time around. I started this past summer and have only lost 10 lbs. I gained about 3 of them back during the Christmas holidays. I am now back on track and determined to stay on this WOE from now on. I am not saying that I will eat clean every day, but I will not stray long. I am going to use My P.L.A.N. to track my diet and see where I need to improve. I am looking forward to making new friends.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 07:34

BF:

Hi Bella -

Thanks for responding to my message. I didn't know if this was an active or inactive site. I'm happy to know it's active!

I've been low carbing for a couple of years now, it's become a way of life for me. All of my 'normal' cookbooks are packed away and I cook strictly from my low carb cookbooks. I've lost about 35 lbs and have maintained that. Now I think I'd like to lose about 10 more - that's my project for 2008.

The battle I still have to fight is my love of chocolate. I can't go into a store without buying a Dove bar. I have to get over that, so that's another goal for 2008.

I hope the holidays have been good for all of you!
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 16:24
I must do it for me!

Quote:
All of my 'normal' cookbooks are packed away and I cook strictly from my low carb cookbooks.

I love all of my cookbooks! I couldn't part with them, however, I love changing my favorite recipes into lo-carb ones. That is the real challenge.
Quote:
The battle I still have to fight is my love of chocolate. I can't go into a store without buying a Dove bar.

I also am a chocoholic. Dove has lo-carb chocolates in a little bag. Very easy to sub this one out. I don't buy any other candy!
I am just about over my chocolate cravings(as much as a chocoholic can ever be) but keep a bag of lc dove in the cookie jar in case of an emergency!
Good luck with your battle.
~Bella~
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-07, 17:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMagia

I also am a chocoholic. Dove has lo-carb chocolates in a little bag. Very easy to sub this one out. I don't buy any other candy!
I am just about over my chocolate cravings(as much as a chocoholic can ever be) but keep a bag of lc dove in the cookie jar in case of an emergency!
Good luck with your battle.
~Bella~

I didn't know about the Dove low-carb chocolates. I'll look for them!
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 12:36
Registered Member

Stats: 151/149/120 Female 5 feet 2 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hello everyone
Back after the holidays. I almost got swayed by my step-daughter who doesn't believe in l/c. She's really into fitness and is a size 1 or 2 (28 yrs old). She takes after her father who likes to be right and can be quite convincing about it but I'm teaching him that his 'opinion' is just that. Anyway, I cheated a bit with dressing and potatoes but am back on. Another thing I did on Christmas day (and my hubby too) was quit drinking. I know it's a problem for both of us and I can't do it without him so insisted he do it too...kind of didn't give him a choice. Hopefully it will help with the weightloss but that's only one reason for quitting.
Thanks Sveltcelt for your reply. I think I took care of the leg cramps with Potassium. Someone suggested it awhile back.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 12:42
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I didn't know about the Dove low-carb chocolates. I'll look for them!

Hi ladies! Never saw this thread before. Every couple of months I get the sf dove truffles either in mint or raspberry. I get them at Wal-mart. They are really good. Can't have them too often though....too much like the real thing.....
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 13:15

Stats: 240/196/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi All. I won't be 50 till June but I feel like I have alot in common with you all. I am 49, married, have 2 children and 1 grandaughter. My husband and I started Atkins at the end of April. He was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and put on meds. Our doctor actually recommended Atkins!! Anyhow, I am down 60lbs and my husband is down 75lbs and the doctor took him off of his meds last month!! Atkins is one of the best thing that ever happened to us. I want to lose about 35 more lbs, I think I can with WOE. How did you all stumble across low carb eating??
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 14:24
I must do it for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mameyann
How did you all stumble across low carb eating??

I didn't stumble, I was dragged kicking and screaming all of the way! My daughter was the one that really wanted to do it but she knew we would all have to go on it together. I went for a visit with my Mother in law and when I returned all of the carbs had been thrown out. Replaced with healthy food and a list of foods that I could have. She and my husband(who is a diabetic)were in it together. She "let" me have the sugar splenda blend for a week then took all things sugar away. It took me at least two weeks before I could really mean it when I thanked her for doing it! Now I'm in it wholeheartedly.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 05:01
I must do it for me!

Default New Year of New Trials and Tribulations

Did every one do well over the holidays or are we playing catch up? Does any one have anything new going on this year?

I did ok for the rough times now I'm needing help. Hoping this thread will make it too!

I'm trying to stick with my plan and getting more water into my daily routine.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 07:27

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Bella.
Quote:

Did every one do well over the holidays or are we playing catch up? Does any one have anything new going on this year?

I didn't do so good. Started out really good and was thinking this was going to be smooth sailing ....however, my DD and her family came and spent a week. I was a rock for 2 days....then I binged on carbs the rest of the time with no exercise. Weight went from 140.4 to 147.6! It's back down to 142.8 this morning.
My plan for 2008 is to get down to 130 lbs.

Quote:

I did ok for the rough times now I'm needing help.
Oh no....what's happening?
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 10:55
I must do it for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Oh no....what's happening?

No excuse for it. I didn't gain any weight over the holidays but now I'm creeping up.
My walking program went out the window! I got new shoes then quit walking. I started back today.