Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 22:03
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%
Default Natural parasite eliminator...

ProteusOne,

weejit is an awesome looking calico! I love the yellow/orange markings!
I've found that you can control the parasite problem in cats, dog or us for that matter & kill fleas & ticks by using:
FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

http://www.pinnaclefarms.ca/Catalogue.htm#DE
OR
http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/...dproduct=39#top

Good information, multi-use product, natural contents, & not harmful or toxic.
You can use it to kill insect pests, such as ants, fleas & the such & your kids can walk around in it. My DH was in Arkansas working on regional jets, staying in a lower rate room for rent. He saw a roach & flipped, (Cheryl doesn't live with bugs), He called me because he couldn't sleep w/bugs in the room. I found a livestock supply place near him & he went & got it. Long story short... there were no more bugs to be found in HIS room, and the ant hills outside the place went out of business too, (he covered their mounds). It cuts into the breathing diaphragm of the insect & suffocates them, but not instantly. They take it back to the nest & clean each other...you get the picture. Dead Bugs!
I use it on my cruciferous vegetables, sprinkle it on the leaves & on the ground around the plant...voila, looks like battered & fried caterpillars the next day! Saved my brussel sprouts last year.
Well enough rambling on. I feed my cat raw food & had her checked at the vet when she was getting neutered & they said it was amazing, she was clean & couldn't find a thing wrong with her, no fleas, no parasite or worms. I told them she was an outdoor cat & that I just use 1/2 tsp DE in her food a day. She is now 9yo & moving like a young'un!

Hope this helped some....LMK! ~Cheryl
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 22:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I thought diatomaceous earth was harmful if ingested... I know you're supposed to use eye protection and breathing mask when you use it.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 22:22
HIGH FAT!!!

Default info

Nancy,

There are precautions for everything, you know there were probably a bunch of hoo-has out there that decided to eat a # of the turf or pool DE. (There are different kinds, only use food grade in your home, on your pets or on your vege's.) The kind you get a Lowe's or home Depot has fillers. Do not use that crap, it is diluted with fillers & toxins!
You should wear a dust mask if you're going to dust your house with it, but once the dust settles, you should be all right. My mother has been using it since the 70's & I've used it my whole life in the garden, home & on & in my pets for 2 decades.
Take a small 1/2 a handful, & rub/fluff it into your pets coat(when dry). If they lick it off, it's fine(use only food grade DE).

Hope this helps some. They use it in organic farming to naturally boost the internal health of many animals. I've used it & seen it used (correctly) for many 3 decades.

LMK if you need more info! ~Cheryl
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 22:31

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I thought diatomaceous earth was harmful if ingested... I know you're supposed to use eye protection and breathing mask when you use it.

It does not cause silicosis unless it has an unusually high percentage of crystalline silica in it. I don't think any food grade preps sold in the US are to be concerned over, but a mask is a good idea to avoid inhalation (the dust can be very fine) and goggles to prevent mucous membrane irritation (eyes).

While DE is considered effective against fleas and ticks, it has NOT been proven effective for control of internal parasites (endoparasitism). It is generally accepted it will not do any harm to feed it, but the results are questionable.

FYI, adult dogs and cats (and sheep, cattle, horses, other livestock) typically have a low incidence of endoparasitism unless they are in an environment where they are subject to repeated exposure (dog parks, high animal density, around juvenile animals, etc.) to a specific parasite or reside in an area where a parasite is endemic (i.e., hooks/whips in the SE). The reason why adult animals are "dewormed" by a veterinarian is a preventive measure - especially if you have children or the animal is subject to high-risk situations. This does not apply to heartworms - different type of "internal parasite".

Last edited by fetch : Tue, Jul-03-07 at 22:44.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 22:40

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I don't know about stress reducers, but take a look at Aunt Jeni 's raw cat and dog food. Three of their varieties of cat food are made with 85% meat and bone meal, and 15% veggies, eggs, and other ingredients. The fourth is 90% meat and bone meal. All of their food is grain free.

I fed Aunt Jeni's food to my dog when he was a puppy. It's the only food he's ever been excited about. He lives with my dad now but if he were with me, this is what I'd feed him.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 22:50
HIGH FAT!!!

Fetch,

I rescued 3 abandoned kittens from a farmer's field & took them to my vet. The vet told me they were so ridden with everything that he couldn't safely do anything for them. I somehow managed to 'cure' my cats of worms & parasites feeding them 1/8tsp DE daily in tuna for a month. My vet was wowed. Yes, they can't 'officially' say that it works on animals but....it has for me. I also provide an outside litte box for my cats to cut down on the 'cat dirt' in the yard. What would the veterinary drug companies do without all that extra revenue from unknowing pet owners who could buy a $7 bag of food grade DE & save themselves money galore.

Anyhow, if you kennel or pen your dogs(goats, cows, pigs, livestock) or keep them outside on a regular basis, a regular sprinkling, dusting & feeding of your animals this Food grade DE will be worth the ounce of prevention.

Have a great night! ~Cheryl

Last edited by CValentine : Tue, Jul-03-07 at 22:51. Reason: sp
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 03:27

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

And I'll state it again. Your felines most likely reached an age where they were able to eliminate the endoparasites on their own. Especially since it sounds like you took steps to eliminate the number one source of re-infection (fecal-oral) by using a litterbox. Did the DE work in your instance? Maybe. Hard to say since I wasn't there.

I question a veterinarian's ability if that is indeed what he/she said. Are you sure it wasn't because the kittens were under 8 weeks of age when he/she saw them? There are next to no options to treat animals for endoparasites except roundworms until they are at least 8 weeks old that are not extra-label / run a risk of possibly killing the animal. Revolution can be used at six weeks for fleas but is usually cost-prohibitive.

There's no "officially" about it. Unless something has changed in the last 10 months or so from the last time I had a question regarding the efficacy of using DE as an antihelmintic come up, NO research conducted to date supports the claim that DE will reliably and consistently rid animals of endoparasites. Ectoparasites like fleas and ticks, yes. Roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapes? No. While there's no harm in giving it, and it may kill low burdens or partially kill high burdens, you cannot rely on it as the sole method to deworm.

And it has nothing to do with drug companies. Antihelmintics for common endoparasites are relatively cheap. Don't want to have "a veterinarian gouge you since they're all out to get nothing but your money anyways"? At least buy drugs proven to work reliably and consistently - pyrantel and fenbenazole and praziquantel - from your feed store and educate yourself on what the proper dose and interval and age to give them at is. I don't know of a single state Practice Act that prohibits an owner from doing this.

Using proper drugs has everything to do with ensuring a good preventive medicine programs so children and the elderly and the immunocompromised/-suppressed do not become the victim(s) of zoonotic diseases. Ever see larval migrans? Cysticercosis? Toxoplasmosis? Not attractive.

Believe what you will since you will no matter what I say. As for me, I'm done thread-jacking and with the topic.

Last edited by fetch : Wed, Jul-04-07 at 03:43.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 07:04
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthinish
Stats: 171/156/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I had 3 cats, 2 of which were sick. One of them had a horrible skin disease. She had bumps on her skin and was pulling her fur out. The other smelled like a sewer. He had horrible bad breath and then would clean himself (not very well - he was ratty looking too) so that he stunk all over. I assumed the bad breath was from an infection. I couldn't afford a vet. I started feeding them raw chicken legs which I could get cheap at the time and within 2 weeks both cats were cured and the other one was happier with his food too. What Nancy said earlier would appear to be the best diet for cats.
Also since it seems to be a nervous problem of some sort, I'm wondering if maybe more fat would help. The Optimal Diet for humans is extremely high fat and seems to work well to cure a lot of health problems. Egg yolks may be a good idea. However what works for humans might not work for cats.
Hope this helps.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 07:18
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthinish
Stats: 171/156/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Proteus she's adorable. She'll find her way into your house, just wait and see.
Looking at the picture with your signature under it makes it look like you're planning on feeding her soylent green, lol.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 08:25

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks all! I'll consider the raw chicken, and the DE sounds very promising as well. I don't like drugs, so I'm unlikely to give them to pets either. As for "health practitioners" of most sorts, if I listened to them I'd be a miserable schlump eating low-fat, starving, and probably high on all sorts of anti-inflammatories and anti-depressants. Don't get me started on mainstream medicine.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 08:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ah, what a face, what a face! Too sweet.

I have to agree!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 10:18

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch
Feliway would most likely be a better product for your cat than Rescue. It is a little late for it to be effective for the fourth, but research it on the internet and discuss it with your veterinarian.

I have used Feliway in the past with some good effect. This week, I am using a different brand of pheramone spray with added valerian. It certainly doesn't seem to hurt and may be helping.

Little Caesar is definitely better today, but the worst (neighborhood fireworks-wise) is yet to come. so we'll see.

I am open the the BARF diet, but I did a lot of reading a few years back while nursing a cat with colon cancer, and I believe it is a diet that must be taken very seriously. Casually switching to raw food without really knowing what you're doing is risky. I have to decide what investment of time I can really make. I will be looking for grain-free cat food in the meantime. No way cats evolved to eat corn and wheat glutin!!

Unfortunately, Little Caesar's hyperesthesia episodes are unmistakebly stress triggered, and the worst episodes (days of panic attacks) have always followed trips to the vet!! An improved diet can only help, but reduced stress is essential as well.

This makes for quite a catch-22. No vet will advise or prescribe without seeing the cat, and taking the cat to the vet is a last resort. That's why I am trying to research non-prescriptive approaches first.

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies.

Oh, and Proteus . . . you are so doomed!!!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 10:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've often debated that whole "take the cat to the vet" thing because of the incredible trauma it causes them. When I had a very sick cat, who was clearly dying, I just couldn't see making that trip to the vet to put him down. The trip is just too terrifying.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 12:18

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Nelson, My Diva had hyperesthesia symptoms and a 1" diameter bare spot above her tail that disappeared when we all went grain-free. She's black and her coat went from dull-looking to glossy in a matter of weeks. I don't feed raw, but feed canned and dry foods that are completely grain free. The dry brand is "Orijen", available in many parts of the world, but made locally: http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/about/
This website is Canadian, but you can find stores in California using the "Store Locator".

Diva is 12 & her kids Dweezil & Moon Unit are 11 and all behave like 2 year olds and are perfect weights. Orijen is 20% fat, so a small amount keeps them satisfied and Diva is less stressed (so am I when I eat plenty of fat). The vet and vet techs comment on their excellent body condition at every annual visit (but I don't follow their Science Diet recommendations; when I did, they needed dentals every 3 years, but for the past 5 years they have been tartar-free on a grain-free diet).

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Jul-04-07 at 12:43.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-07, 17:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
Oh, and Proteus . . . you are so doomed!!!

I am, I am.... But likely not for the reason you're ascribing.