Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 18:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/151/145
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default sweet induction breakfast

Okay, I found this on another LC forum. I don't know if it has been posted previously here. I haven't seen it in here and I thought it would be a shame for you guys not to see it - it is pretty yummy!!

Sweet induction breakfast

1 egg
1 oz. cr. cheese
1 T. butter
1/2 t. vanilla
2 packets Equal

Melt butter in skillet. Beat egg and 1 packet Equal. Pour into skillet and let cook - do not stir. Meanwhile, stir cr. cheese, vanilla, and remaining Equal together. When egg looks done, spread cheese mixture over it, allowing it to melt a bit. Take a spatula and, starting on one side, roll up the egg, crepe style, and remove from pan. Enjoy!

3g. carbs per serving. I can't remember the rest of the stats for this one, sorry!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 08:24

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Cool Sounds like a Mock Danish wannabe!

Wow, Tama--thanks! This sounds *very* similar to the Mock Danish Nat posted some time back. The proportions are different but the gist is pretty similar. (I'm not hooked on the MD as some folks seem to be, but it *is* tasty. I'll give this a shot sometime soon.)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 312/312/165
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Great Recipe

Just wanted to let you know this is fabulous! This is only my second day on induction, but this was great for the sweet tooth. Thanks for the post!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:39

Plan: no plan /pregnancy
Stats: 166/&;&;&;/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

oh my gosh..this is so easy and yummy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 23:02
Registered Member

Stats: 190/185/135?
BF:
Default YUMMY

I tried this today for the first time...it's easy as can be. One thing though...I didnt have any vanilla, so I substituted with a bit of maple extract. WOWEE it tasted so much like french toast. I really felt like I was cheating. This one will get used again for sure
Dawn
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 16:49
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default try a dash of cinnamon

after 3 & 1/2 weeks of induction, this was my first splenda try. I had no vanilla so dashed a bit of cinnamon. Yum. I bought vanilla today so I can do it again tomorrow. I was surprised how pleasantly sweet it tasted.

Thanks for the post.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 04:56

Stats: 223/205/160 Female 171cm
BF:42%/37%/??

What exactly is Equal and what does it taste like? I live in UK and I am not sure they sell it here (maybe they do not sure). If I can't find it in the shops is there any replacement I can use?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/247/150
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default What is Equal

Equal is a commercial brand name of an artificial sweetener. There are, of course, several different kinds of artificial sweetener. I think Equal might be aspartame, which Dr. Atkins and many on this forum don't like because for some people it interferes with their metabolism in a way which is contrary to the diet's preferences.

I am sure you can find artificial sweeteners in the UK. Read the labels to see which brands are which sweeteners.

Atkins likes Splenda (so do I). I list the ingredients in Splenda off the box for you: destrose, maltodextrin, sucralose. Some of the packaging on Splenda products proclaim that Splenda is derived from actual sugar. I am not a food scientist so I don't know what difference that makes!

Look at the labels and find an artificial sweetener with those ingredients!

Diet soft drinks, here in the states, are virtually all made with aspartame. You will find debates on this forum about diet soft drinks because of the aspartame.

The aspartame doesn't seem to mess me up.

NOW another artificial sweetener is sacharin, which was banned in the states 20+ years ago. I have read that it is widely in use in Europe and I have been advised to go to Canada (I live an hour from Windsor) and buy sacharin artificial sweetener. I THINK, but am not sure, that sacharin (maybe spelled with two 'c's?) is the "best" articial sweetner. You could look for that one.

A natural food suplement called "stevia" has a strong sweetening effect for many people and some folks on this forum use it. Look around and you will see it debated. Some people don't get any sweet sensation from it at all. Others swear by it. I have some stevia for experimentation but thus far Splenda is the best. I do remember with fond affection diet soft drinks from my use sweetened with sacharin and I remember that it tasted exactly like a sugared drink so I will eventually travel to Windsor to try some . . .

There, more than you ever wanted to know about Equal.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 160/150/145
BF:
Progress: 67%

Tama: This is delicious. I had this for breakfast over the weekend both days. I love it. I added an extra egg (Like big breakfast). Thanks for sharing it.

#10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 14:34

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I've been eating eggs boiled, fried, poached, devilled, whatever--but never sweet. What a difference this makes. Finally, a breakfast I can face early in the morning!

I didn't have any vanilla, so I just sweetened the egg w/tsp Splenda, added a tbsp half & half cream for volume (cause I'm trying to increase my calories and I'm out of heavy cream), left the cheese unsweetened, and served this "Sweet Omelette" with a 1/4 cup of chopped canteloupe. Delicious. And only 4 carbs.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll sweeten the cheese and have bacon instead of fruit....even fewer carbs. Or I could mush some strawberries and mix them right in with the cheese before spreading it on the egg to melt. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks Tama.

judy
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 10:19

Stats: 231/231/196
BF:
Default Splenda (etc.) in the UK

vess - you can order Splenda (and other Atkins/low-carb stuff) from http://www.sugarlite.co.uk. There may be other places but I have only just started looking!

Good luck

Daren

#12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-02, 21:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default I love this

This is a great breakfast. I sometimes do the egg as instructed, sorta like a crepe but instead of sweeteing the cheese I add some fresh herbs. Then I get a savory instead of a sweet. . . and I like a savory treat, too.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 11:19

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 170/155/130
BF:
Progress: 38%

this recipe is GREAT. However, I didn't have any vanillia either, so I used strawberry exrtact... it was delicious. maybe other flavored extracts would be good as well.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 01:36

Stats: 273/238/154
BF:oh-my-god!/37%/24%
Default Sweeteners in the UK

I've used sugar substitutes for cooking and baking for over 20 years both in the states and the UK. First for my diabetic Father and not to make LC goodies for myself.

Equal is nutrasweet... look for Hermasetas, Candarel, or Sweetex to get the equivalent in the UK. All supermarkets and even Boots carry the lot of them. Asda does an 'own brand' version that's just 98p a jar. And I can't tell the difference between that and the expensive brands so guess which I buy.

Splenda is available in most of the larger supermarket chains also. But I've not been able to find and equivalent for the brown sugar flavour Sweet & Low that I used to get in the states. That was saccharin, which can have a nasty after taste, but it was good if used in moderation. Other than that I never use saccahrin anymore and can't say I miss it at all.

I use nutrasweet for things that don't get cooked, becuse it loses its sweetness if heated, and splenda for things that do.

Hope this helps... LC anything is incredibly difficult to come by in the UK.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:40
Registered Member

Stats: 154/147,4/132
BF:???
Progress: 50%

what kind of cheese do you talk about? what does the shortcut "cr" stand for?

Love
Cat