Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 08:06

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 243/179/179 Male 5-11
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have felt for a long time that eating grain and sugar was kind of unnatural. I did the Adkins and thought it was ok, but after a while you find yourself counting all the carbs, which is almost as bad as having to count all the calories and really that did not seem all that natural.
So when I ran across Paleo I thought, now this seems more natural.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 09:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

To nitpick, there's no "d" in Atkins.

My body just prefers this diet. I had no idea grains and dairy were making me feel so yucky until I stopped eating them.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 10:54

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

ProteusOne Hi, your right but you are buying at a Farmer's Market , I would there too , But organic UP here in Maine to me is just not right , 2 green peppers 10 oz pk $4.99 and reading were it came from CA.that's 3000 miles from Maine ! I feel that the Nutrients are there gone )-;
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 11:08

BF:

Muata Hi I can't seem to PM you , And i don't know why sorry! but you may try me OK ?Ron
PS I'm new at this !
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 11:32

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Mocci
Muata Hi I can't seem to PM you , And i don't know why sorry! but you may try me OK ?Ron
PS I'm new at this !

Ron:

You need to have posted 25 times (see the number listed under your display name) plus 24 hours in order to have your PM privileges turned on in this forum. Until then you can neither send nor receive them.

HTH (hope that helps).
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 11:38

BF:

Thanks fetch, I'm not a good writer so it's going to be a while ! thanks again Ron*
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 10:41

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Mocci
PS I'm new at this !

No problem Ron, feel free to contact me through my blog (address below in my signature). I hope to hear from you soon.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janja
Hey, this sounds interesting. Can you post the sites here, Muata, so the rest of them can check them out?

Hey Janja. If you're interested in hydroponics, I suggest that you do a google search on hydroponics and have at it because you'll find so much information that'll make your head spin. If you want more information about growing specific types of veggies, let me know. I've grown 'maters, cukes, melons, and peppers all hydroponically. So, I can answer any questions that you have about that. I hope this helps . . .
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-07, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Muata. This sounds very exciting.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-07, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janja
Thanks, Muata. This sounds very exciting.

No problem. Actually growing hydroponically can be pretty addictive; well gardening in general. This was the first summer in 5 years that I didn't have a some sort of garden, and I'm still feeling the need to germinate some seeds . . .
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 06:39

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think there's a big fat common ground between Paleo and Atkins in those folks who have discovered lots of food intolerances but don't really want to make everything from scratch or shun all technological advancements in the preparation and storage of food. There's always the danger of meal plans becoming religion and I always hate seeing that happen, it stops people from communicating.

As someone who's technically doing Atkins, I'd just like to say that I agree with Nancy.

FWIW, I do still use dairy, but I don't eat grains or frankenfoods. I eat LC because I FEEL better doing so...my chronic pain and depression are much better, I can move around more freely and have far more energy. Yes, I want to lose weight as well, but that's NOT my main focus for choosing this style of eating.

I come to this section of the board because I find it interesting, and I really learn a lot about how to make LC eating work best for me. But honestly, sometimes the *Atkins people are only interested in keeping their pasta and chocolate, etc.* rather pisses me off.

Not all of us are looking for ways to still eat ice cream and pasta and bread. I know that I have a wheat/gluten sensitivity and I can't eat sugar or starch. So I've just dropped them out of my diet. I eat meat, fish, veggies, eggs and dairy. I use the fat on the meat, butter, sour cream, coconut oil, olive oil and a couple of nut oils as my fats. If I'm buying something that's packaged, I look for as few ingredients as possible, and as minimally processed as possible. That's pretty much it. I try to buy my veggies and meat in ways that help support sustainable agriculture, but don't have the money to do so 100% of the time. I'm concerned about all these things and try to make them part of my life.

/rant. Thanks for letting me vent.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 08:52
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I hope I don't sound religious when I say this but... you might just try to drop the dairy for awhile and see how you feel. Like you, gluten was a big part of it but then I discovered how big a part dairy was too. My list of symptoms for dairy include: acne, muscle spasms, constipation, mucous-y bowels, stuffy nose and post-nasal drip. Still, I will have dairy occasionally but it isn't an everyday thing any more.

I still look for ways to have noodles. Kelp noodles for the win!

If I could be healthy and eat ice cream and pasta... I'd be eating those things.

There are things that I think are not an issue that I don't give up, like certain artificial sweeteners, chocolate, coffee. Although I'm going to try a few days with absolutely NO sweetness and see if it helps me lose weight.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Well, I hope I don't sound religious when I say this but... you might just try to drop the dairy for awhile and see how you feel. Like you, gluten was a big part of it but then I discovered how big a part dairy was too. My list of symptoms for dairy include: acne, muscle spasms, constipation, mucous-y bowels, stuffy nose and post-nasal drip. Still, I will have dairy occasionally but it isn't an everyday thing any more.

I'm considering trying it without dairy. But I'm not ready to give it up at this point. Perhaps because I've given up so many things (although I don't regret them as such), I'm still holding onto this. And I'm not experiencing any of the symptoms I've seen for lactose or casein intolerance. But I'm trying to keep an open mind as I watch how things progress.

I think what was bothering me was the assumption (not yours!) that all or most people on Atkins are eating in a less sustainable, more industrial way. I don't garden, because I don't have either the skill or the access to a plot of land. But I do shop at local farmer's markets and try to buy local produce as much as I can.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 09:25
Experimenter

BF:

I also forgot to mention I seem to get sad when I eat dairy. I wish we had the A2 milk here, I'd love to try it.

I don't know how eating paleo makes you any more or less "sustainable" than eating Atkins. Maybe you're reading a lot into the posts?
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 09:48

Actually, I think it was mostly ProteusOne's comments that set off my rant. :shrug: He's entitled to vent his opinions, but I was bothered by the lumping of all Atkins followers together and felt the need to respond. I'm over it now, since I've aired my unsolicited opinions as well.