Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 14:23

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Maybe I'll be able to find some decent recipes in here. Something without whipped cream and splenda.

Great thread.

Hey citruskiss, we have a pretty long paleo recipe thread that should be around somewhere in the first 2 pages.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 15:49

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Speaking of mayo. I make mine in my blender using the recipe in Neanderthin. Turns out great every time and tastes far superior to the store mayo..
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 16:14
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Thanks guys - I wouldn't exactly call myself "Paleo" or even close to it yet, and I'm not even sure if it's something I'm aiming for. I *am* interested in real food though, and moving further and further away from processed foods and fake additives. If I can't pronounce it and/or don't know what it is, then I don't want it. Some of this is because of reading "Twinkie Deconstructed" by Steve Ettlinger recently.

Ditching dairy, upping veggies and so on has made a huge difference for me. I feel a whole lot better, and it seems my body is finally willing to start losing some weight here again (finally).

Really liking the looks of homemade mayo with light olive oil. I'll have to try it sometime. If you haven't got a food processor, will it work in a blender?
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 19:27
No Matter What

Plan: <85 grams/day
Stats: 254.6/244.8/150 Female 64"
BF:O/M/G!
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Really liking the looks of homemade mayo with light olive oil. I'll have to try it sometime. If you haven't got a food processor, will it work in a blender?

My husband makes it with an emersion blender (the tall, thin blender you can use in a glass, jar, etc) It comes out wonderful every time and it's all we use now. Last night he made a batch and added madras curry...very good on chicken and fish.

Sallie
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 20:17
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallie
My husband makes it with an emersion blender (the tall, thin blender you can use in a glass, jar, etc) It comes out wonderful every time and it's all we use now. Last night he made a batch and added madras curry...very good on chicken and fish.

Sallie

I have a feeling I'll be buying an immersion blender (aka hand blender) this weekend.

Thanks
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 21:57
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I'm thinking a nut oil would work well in mayo? I'll have to try it. Haven't been interested in mayo lately though.

A pemmican thread would be great - that's one I definitely want to make!

Hi Citrus! Glad to see you wandered into the cave...
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 21:58
Dazilous

BF:

I'm thinking a nut oil would work well in mayo? I'll have to try it. Haven't been interested in mayo lately though.

A pemmican thread would be great - that's one I definitely want to make!

Hi Citrus! Glad to see you wandered into the cave...
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 03:13

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:

I guess you missed another post I made but it will work in a blender. I make mine in a blender all the time.
I'm thinking of getting one of those Magic Bullets and trying to make it in that.
Light olive oil is excellent for making mayo. I also add things to my mayo. Dill or garlic or whatever spice or herb strikes me at the time.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 13:38

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I'm thinking a nut oil would work well in mayo? I'll have to try it.

I tried making mayo with the coconut/nut oil/olive oil blend suggested in one of Mary Enig's books. It was VILE.

Hazelnut oil makes disgusting mayo, and I don't think the coconut oil was good either.

I'll probably eventually experiment with sesame, almond, and macadamia nut oils.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 18:52
Dazilous

BF:

I bet almond would be okay, it's fairly neutral.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 15:14

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi All I'm a hydroponics gardener and you can't beat it ! And I only do it in the winter. Summer I just out 4 or 5 tubs out side and it's to much for us to eat so I give a lot away ! As far as buying organic NEVER.. Now going out to buy gf beef I can not find any scientific
evidence to make me want to spend that kind of money! Also if anyone can help me find that evidence or links to real paper work I would thank you very much. thanks Ron
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-07, 17:46

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Mocci
Hi All I'm a hydroponics gardener and you can't beat it ! And I only do it in the winter. Summer I just out 4 or 5 tubs out side and it's to much for us to eat so I give a lot away ! As far as buying organic NEVER.. Now going out to buy gf beef I can not find any scientific
evidence to make me want to spend that kind of money! Also if anyone can help me find that evidence or links to real paper work I would thank you very much. thanks Ron

It's not all about money for me, or health, even, as much as it is for the environment and the way it tastes. It just tastes better, and that's a subjective thing that will never go anywhere. Besides, around here at our Farmer's Market, the pasture-raised gr beef is less than that found in many grocery stores in the area.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 06:24

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Mocci

Ron, it's good to see another hydro-man on the forum! I had started a hydro thread many moons ago, and I couldn't agree with you more about the whole "organic" veggies scam that's going on. I've never had gf beef, so I can't really comment on it, and I've yet to see the studies too. Hey, PM me when you have the time cause I have some questions and sites you might be interested in checking out. Glad to have you here . . .
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 06:30

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis

I also vouch for light olive oil in mayo. Kicks butt.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-07, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
Ron, it's good to see another hydro-man on the forum! I had started a hydro thread many moons ago, and I couldn't agree with you more about the whole "organic" veggies scam that's going on. I've never had gf beef, so I can't really comment on it, and I've yet to see the studies too. Hey, PM me when you have the time cause I have some questions and sites you might be interested in checking out. Glad to have you here . . .

Hey, this sounds interesting. Can you post the sites here, Muata, so the rest of them can check them out?