Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 13:47

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'd limit the vegetables to ones not in the category of nightshades such as peppers, potatoes, eggplant.

Do you mean you personally, or as a guideline for everyone? If it's a guideline for everyone it would seem kind of arbitrary, unless you wanted to exclude all new-world foods. But then you would also eliminate squash, cranberries, turkey, etc.

Quote:
How about coconut meat and milk?

They're a fruit, so on my ok-list.

Quote:
I think being pure means the artificial sweeteners have to go. Probably green beans.

I do love green beans. *sigh* Yeah I think there's no question the AS have to go.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 13:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
I would not accept sweeteners of any kind (maybe honey), or oils of any kind. Oils are a product of processing cultivated crops: definitely not Paleo if we are being as purist as reasonable.

I would include coconut oil. I was watching one of those Man Vs Wild shows, and the host was able to produce coconut oil just by cracking open a coconut and mashing it up with a sharp stick. Then he used the oil for sunscreen. Olive oil I'm willing to concede.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 13:53
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

I would accept that on a normal paleo diet, but not for a pure experiment. I don't think that eating anything too far from Old World foodstuff would be ok.
Quote:
The origins of this plant are the subject of controversy, with some authorities claiming it is native to south Asia, while others claim its origin is in northwestern South America. Fossil records from New Zealand indicate that small, coconut-like plants grew there as long as 15 million years ago. Even older fossils have been uncovered in Rajasthan, TamilNadu, Kerala and Maharashtra, India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut
Similarly tomatoes and peppers would off the list. For normal diet, sure. But not for the experiment.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 13:54

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
I would not accept sweeteners of any kind (maybe honey), or oils of any kind. Oils are a product of processing cultivated crops: definitely not Paleo if we are being as purist as reasonable.
I'd say:
Unprocessed meat, seafood and fish.
Leaf vegetables
Fresh Berries
Nuts
Seeds
Eggs
Animal fats.
And the usual fruit teas.

I have to agree, oils, other than what is found naturally in whole foods probably isn't going to cut it. No artificial sweeteners. We'll discuss the status of stevia.

BTW, I have set up a wiki for us to use. It will allow us to all make edits to the same document online. Please, if you have strong, solid and logical ideas about this, I encourage you to PM me and I'll give you the password. I realize this WILL BE MESSY AT FIRST, but I think that some basic forms will emerge soon enough.

I'll go in there this evening and make a few headers and tables to get us started, and then I'll provide the password through the PM service here.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 13:57
Slightly foxed

Sorry, I edited my previous post. This could be interesting!
I would suggest that anything disputed - with reasonable cause - be off the menu.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 14:02

BF:

Alright, if we're going to exclude new-world foods, here's a list of some of the veggies that I know of:

avocados
nopales (cactus pads)
corn (off-limits anyway)
peppers
potatoes
all summer and winter squashes
tomatillos
tomatoes
sweet potatoes
sunchokes (aka jerusalem artichokes)
jicama

I also know that cranberries and turkey are new-world, but I'm not sure about other fruits/animals.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 14:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It's only a week, I can live without them for a week.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 14:08

BF:

I'm not inclined to remove New World Foods, so long as they don't "have" to be cooked or processed before eating. Some estimates have the new world being populated down to Tierra Del Fuego as far back as 40,000 years ago. Either way, it was a long time ago, and I'm sure they ate what they could.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 14:10
Experimenter

BF:

I personally will give up nightshades then, simply to see if they affect me in any way (God, I hope not! I love my peppers!)
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 14:20
Slightly foxed

Quote:
Some estimates have the new world being populated down to Tierra Del Fuego as far back as 40,000 years ago.
But it would not be in my European ancestry, nor I suspect most of us here.

This opens up all kinds of questions I have about an evolutionary based diet. Clearly if we were going to be entirely pure we would only eat uncultivated vegetation indigenous to Africa. I don't think that is going to happen! So where do we draw the line? Personally, I'll accept European foods which are pre-agricultural or can still be eaten without cooking.

For the purpose of the experiment I'd suggest that - just for the week - we keep it as simple as possible.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 15:18

BF:

If we're going no veggie oil at all and no processed meats at all I'm in for a rough time (not to mention the strict no dairy)! There goes butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and bacon grease. Maybe this will kick my butt in gear enough to seek out that farm near hubby's work and hit them up for some grassfed suet...

What is the thought on chicken/beef/whatever stock? It requires boiling, and I'm not sure if paleoman had containers fit for that. Pottery is only about 6k years old I think. I'm sure that paleoman could have fashioned him/herself a waterskin out of animal hide, but I just dunno about the boiling thing - unless anyone else has any other bright ideas!

Man this is getting more strict than I had envisioned upon my initial read.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 15:35
Experimenter

BF:

I'm just going to make a big pot roast or something, have some veggies with it. Eggs in the morning for breakfast. I can eat the same thing many days in a row and be happy.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 15:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm just going to make a big pot roast or something, have some veggies with it. Eggs in the morning for breakfast. I can eat the same thing many days in a row and be happy.

Nancy, you are funny!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 16:20
Experimenter

BF:

Well, do share the joke? I wasn't trying to be funny!

I suppose my olives for breakfast wouldn't be paleo, but the Macs should be ok.

I think my coconut soup might pass the paleo muster, if I leave out the hot peppers, then I can use my mystery herb.

Quote:
What is the thought on chicken/beef/whatever stock? It requires boiling, and I'm not sure if paleoman had containers fit for that. Pottery is only about 6k years old I think. I'm sure that paleoman could have fashioned him/herself a waterskin out of animal hide, but I just dunno about the boiling thing - unless anyone else has any other bright ideas!

I intend to use chicken stock. I don't plan to adhere to THAT level of strictness that I have to simulate their cooking methods too.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 17:10

BF:

Sounds like cooking methods should take a lower rung on the ladder. But deep frying? I think that one may be out.