Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-07, 17:33

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

My point was that fatty liver normally attacks alcoholics and obese people, both of which the man WAS NOT in the movie. That's all.. No reason to get all excited about it.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 09:36

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Actually, you can get fatty liver from too much fructose, which may be what happened to Spurlock, since he was consuming tons of soda.

Quote:
Robert Lustig: That's correct. And then the last thing that fructose does in the liver is it initiates an enzyme called Junk one, and Junk one has been shown by investigators at Harvard Medical School basically is the inflammation pathway and when you initiate Junk one what happens is that your insulin receptor in your liver stops working. It's phosphorylated in a way that basically inactivates it, serum phosphorylation it's called and when your insulin receptor doesn't work in your liver that means your insulin levels all over your body have to rise. And when that happens basically you're going to interfere with normal brain metabolism of the insulin signal which is part of this leptin phenomenon I mentioned before. It's also going to increase the amount of insulin at the adipocyte storing more energy. And you put all of this together and basically you've got a feed forward system of increased insulin, increased liver fat, liver deposition of fat, increased inflammation -- you end up with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. You end up with your inability to see your leptin and so you consume more fructose and you've now got a viscious cycle out of control.

In fact fructose, because of the way it's metabolised, is actually damaging your liver the same way alcohol is. In fact it's the exact same pathway, in fact fructose is alcohol without the buzz.

Norman Swan: So this is the obesity related fatty liver disease that people talk about?

Robert Lustig: Exactly.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthrepo...007/1969924.htm

(you have to click on the "Show Transcript" link)
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 20:20
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
In fact fructose, because of the way it's metabolised, is actually damaging your liver the same way alcohol is. In fact it's the exact same pathway, in fact fructose is alcohol without the buzz.

Wow, I didn't know that. Do you have to eat a whole lot of fruit for this damage to occur? Someone alert the fruitarians! (No wait...don't)
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb(my own)Pregnant
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have never seen that movie Now I have to thanks
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 10:07

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Wow, I didn't know that. Do you have to eat a whole lot of fruit for this damage to occur? Someone alert the fruitarians! (No wait...don't)

The doctors said that regular fruit wasn't really a problem. The fiber and water content prevent eating too much normally and slows the uptake of the fructose. Dried fruit, purees and juices are a real problem, though, because the fructose is much more concentrated. Apple sauce, in particular, was singled out. Fruit sugar is normally about 50% fructose but apples have twice as much fructose as other sugars.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 10:11
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks Arc, that makes sense. I can eat a ton of applesauce, or drink apple juice all day long. Well, I used to anyway. I used to eat tons of dried apricots too...but I couldn't sit around and eat the same amount of regular apricots in one sitting.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 03:58
Registered Member

Plan: not specific
Stats: 175/155/180 Male 5`11
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsrule
ur not gonna get sick if u EAT mccdonald's once a month--or every once in a great while---the dude in the movie ate it every day for every meal for 30 days straight-----------of course noone knew exactly what the results would be---(EVERYONE KNEW IT WASNT GONNA BE GOOD THOUGH) BECAUSE NOONE IS THAT STUPID AS TO EAT IT EVERYDAY FOR EVERY MEAL--------EVEN THE FATTEST PIG IN THE WORLD DOESNT GO TO MCCDONALD'S EVERYDAY FOR EVERY MEAL-----CMON THE MOVIE IS STUPID---

i used to go eat McD 3 or 4 times a day during half a year i guess...the only thing that happened was candida overgrowth cuz of the sugar, other than that...i did not die.

after that i went vegan to maintain my condition...and then turned to no carb diet...currently i am searching for a perfct diet for me...researching
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 14:13

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Half way, his doctor told him if he continued like this, he would die. He told him that because of fatty liver disease. That's what prompted his doctor to tell him to stop immediately or he will die.

Fatty liver disease is not caused by dietary fat. It is caused solely by eating carbs, especially fructose in the form of high fructose corn syrup. He was drinking his cola every day in large quantities. Cola contains 50% HFCS.