Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/173/135 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress:
Default "cheat" question

I want to cheat just a little.

There is a free summer movie festival that I'm going to be taking my kids to twice a week and it is sooooo hard for me to be inside a theater without popcorn.

A kidsize popcorn = about 3 cups(maybe less). According to a carb-counter book I have that would = 10-12 grams of carbs.

Do you think this would be allowable if I only ate meat, eggs, and cheese the rest of the day? (And drink lots of water to counter the salt.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 14:33

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

3 cups of popcorn would be 18 g of carbs-6 per cup. I don't think that's a very wise choice. Just bring some nuts,cheese sticks,pork rinds etc. Sunflower seeds would be a good nibble and take a while to eat.

Last edited by lisabinil : Tue, May-29-07 at 14:56.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 14:34
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

honestly, I think you've come far enough along to try it...I have some lc buddies that worked popcorn in with caution. Just be careful that it doesnt make you spiral out of control. I'm not sure about doing it wtice a week though. Maybe compromise and do it once weekly?

Also, there is a product called just the cheese. THey make chips and "popped" cheese. No, its not the same....but the butter flavor is really good, and it's round and crunchy. Might help. Let us know how it goes!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 14:50
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Quote:
There is a free summer movie festival that I'm going to be taking my kids to twice a week and it is sooooo hard for me to be inside a theater without popcorn.
I soooo understand! ...and it's totally your decision.

The popcorn MIGHT make you stall..
The popcorn MIGHT make you get cravings for other things (this was more likely in my case)

I won't say I've never had popcorn again.. I have.. but a lot of times I'll bring in nuts or sunflower seeds (in the shell) instead and I'm fine.

You've made WONDERFUL progress btw.. WOOHOO!! If you do give it a try.. just keep in mind the cautions.. it might help keep a small cheat from becoming a carb orgy.

GOOD LUCK!

Mike
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 14:58

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddioM
it might help keep a small cheat from becoming a carb orgy

Mike

Too funny!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 15:17

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

There is a recipe for popcorn in the Atkins cookbook. We did a double take - good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 16:23
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverwhere
honestly, I think you've come far enough along to try it...I have some lc buddies that worked popcorn in with caution. Just be careful that it doesnt make you spiral out of control. I'm not sure about doing it wtice a week though. Maybe compromise and do it once weekly?

Also, there is a product called just the cheese. THey make chips and "popped" cheese. No, its not the same....but the butter flavor is really good, and it's round and crunchy. Might help. Let us know how it goes!

What store carries 'just the cheese'? I've never seen it around here but I usually avoid the chip aisle. Is it even on the chip aisle or is it a refrigerated product?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 16:41
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

well, there is a low carb/gluten free store near my house that carries it....I also find it on netrition.com. I dont think regular stores would have them...but if they do, they are not refridgerated
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 05:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
There is a recipe for popcorn in the Atkins cookbook. We did a double take - good luck!

I just bought Dr A's New Diet Cookbook and I couldn't find that recipe. Do you recall what chapter or page it was on?
There was a recipe on the recipe section of this site for Mock Popcorn. It was basically roasted cauliflour. I tried it. It's not bad, but def not something one could take into a movie theatre.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 08:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/195/140 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 28%

oh..popcorn is the worst thing u can do..it will raise ur blood sugar as it has a really high number on the glycemic index....lisa's right...go for some nuts or even a tiny sugar free chocolate
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 10:43

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 65
BF:
Progress: -50%

If I am sitting with a bag of popcorn in front of me, then there is NO WAY that I am going to have the willpower, motivation or whatever to stop at 2 or 3 cups of popcorn. I would end up cramming the stuff in my face as fast as I could until it was all gone. (Popcorn also messes with my blood sugar and makes me feel all wonky afterwards.)

For me personally...the vote is no.

I think the advice on bringing sunflower seeds or nuts was a great idea.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 15:17

Plan: Gen LC, Atkins influence
Stats: 264/251/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Add me to the group of people voting no... you don't want to sabotage your loss with something that you're going to eat in a short period of time. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 23:15
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Why not take a small bag of pork skins with you to munch on? Or you could cut some sf beef jerky into bite-sized pieces and take a small bag of them with you.

Y'know, to make LC work as a real lifestyle change, it often helps if we can learn to break certain "associations" between activities we enjoy and HC foods. One such association is having popcorn at the movies.

In fact, that's not only true of the LC lifestyle. This is my first day as a non-smoker. I knew when I got up this morning that I'd be in major trouble if I sat down at my kitchen table to have a couple of cups of coffee, because in the past, that always included smoking a few cigarettes. So, today I brewed some green tea, instead, and sat outdoors at my patio table to drink it. I believe that small change made it a little easier for me to avoid my usual morning cigarettes.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 01:15

Stats: 212/184.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Great advice Kisal. I personally would have a very hard time stopping at a few cups of popcorn. Go for the sunflower seends. They make tons of flavours now and take a while to eat just a small handful. Mostly they'll keep your mouth busy.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 10:34

Stats: 185/175/140 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 22%

My cheating experience with popcorn has been that it isn't worth it. If I eat the movie popcorn, with butter of course, I gain between 4-5 lbs in the next 48 hrs. It takes me a full week of induction level carbs to get rid of the popcorn weight.