Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-07, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

I've done several long races on no-carb or low-carb. I found often that I wasn't really sore the next day. But I ran these races much slower than when I was living the hi-carb life. My guess is running slow doesn't stress the muscles the way running fast will.

The 100 mile run I mentioned earlier turned into a 50 mile shuffle. Early on I had stomach problems and wasn't able to eat or drink much of anything. By the 50 mile point I had severe stomach pain and opted to quit. The pain seemed to get worse over the next week. I went to the doc who diagnosed an ulcer.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-07, 07:09

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
I've done several long races on no-carb or low-carb. I found often that I wasn't really sore the next day. But I ran these races much slower than when I was living the hi-carb life. My guess is running slow doesn't stress the muscles the way running fast will.

The thing is.....my muscles actually felt pretty good. The pain I talked about was in my knees and hips.....the joints. By the next morning, no more pain!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 07:11

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Slightly off topic, if anyone has time of their hands they might like to follow the low carb journey of some British fell runners embarking on a low-carb path on this site, hopefully the link to the thread will appear:
http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1810
I'm sure you know but fell running is off-trail up and down mountains, and whilst we don't have much in the way of height in the UK, or indeed Death Valley heat, there are bottomless bogs, slippery grass slopes and lots of rain and mud to make it more interesting. The folk on this site follow without question the high-carb way so it is interesting when low-carb actually starts to work for them as athletes. And although it is pointedly referred to as low-GL and not Atkins, for those who know Atkins, actually, it is. The plan referred to is the Wine & Food Lovers Diet by a US sports physician Dr Phil Trinaman(?) who also posts on the thread. Apologies in advance for any offence caused by the "British humour" on there - the posters would never imagine that their efforts would be seen on this type of forum. Personally, I find it all quite sweet.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 08:54

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Sounds interesting....I will check it out.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 13:24

Plan: no particular one
Stats: 155/170/165 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

I joined this forum for the express purpose of trying to get more info on running and carb intake -- I have been eating low carb for about 2.5 years now, I started not to lose weight, but because I was having gnarly acid reflux probs and read that low carb helped - well it certainly did help, no more of those probs. I started running again about a year ago, used to race bikes before, but that was pre-low carb, at the time I was eating more like a zone-type diet, and used to eat balance bars, or just regular sugary drinks during riding. But with running, I can't eat much cos I just get stomach cramps.

Anyway, after like a year I am finally to the point where I can run over an hour at a time, and so I am starting to "run out of steam" at the end of my long runs (don't normally bring anything with me, even water) -- my brother turned me on to the 'fuel belt' thing, which is great, but now I don't know what to fill it with??!!

Do I "need carbs" during a run, and how much, is what I am wondering. I have experimented in the last week with bananas, and accelerade - both times, I felt it did help, but then I get this nasty feeling "sugar crash" about 3/4 of the way into the run. I am so unfamiliear with this feeling, cos I have been avoiding eating carbs for so long!

Would certainly appreciate any low-carb followers who run more than 30 miles per week, giving me info on what if anything they do before/during/after runs to fuel up. I also just ordered that paleo athlete book, hopefully that might help too.

My other problem is that still to this day sugary carby stuff gives me heartburn, although I do find that fruit seems to be tolerated fine.

I will keep experimenting and sharing what happens, perhaps I will find some kind of mix that will work for running. I would love to find "the answer" but maybe it's different case by case.

maybe i should start a new thread with this question as well? I'll check it out.

thanks for any help. 52 miles... man, that's some Dean K type stuff right there!