Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/190/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: -67%

Wow, you are very active. Good for you Lisa! I have done some research on water workouts during pregnancy and it is supposed to be awesome for you. Since you have been there done that, how is it? I am excited about starting it soon.

I did go to my doc. yesterday. They listened for the heartbeat and nothing, so my doc. took me to another room to get a sonagram(sp). She did see the heart beat and it looked very healthy (Thank GOD) and she saw something else.....
We are having a precious little girl. YEAH!!! Didn't care what we were having as long as it was healthy. I'm so excited. My husband and I have four kids as of now. His from a previous marriage and mine from a previous marriage. We have been married for 4yrs now and are so happy. This will be our first together. So, we do have our hands full and are so blessed.

As for my weight 154. UGG! I asked my doc. if that was normal and she said that everyone is different in there weight gain. That maybe I should incorporate some more activity in . Which I am next week with the water workouts. I only wanted to get to 160 for this pregnancy weight. Only 6 lbs to go for that. I am afraid that I won't make that goal, but I do not want to diet during this time either, so activity sounds like a wonderful solution and watching my bread intake. I think that I have been not caring and now (oops) I am starting to see the results of my laziness. I remember with my last two pregnancies that it took along time to get the weight off (but not LC then.) It's just depressing to have all that weight and know that you could have prevented it in so many ways. I want to enjoy this pregnancy and after my baby girl is born and not have the stress of (ewwww I look gross, or how am I ever going to lose all this weight?) It really weighs you down! (literally)

So, I am offering for us to take this challenge of cutting out all sweets (as much as possible) and startchy foods (white breads, potatoes, pasta). Also to log our activities everyday. If we keep moving it helps our labor and recovery as well. So who is up for the challenge? I need one!!!!

~ Kim
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 09:05
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ok, Kim! I'm with you on this challenge. Last night I IGNORED the cake sitting on my kitchen table and had a great food day. 2,000 cals, 50 carbs...just a really good day with good food choices and I was so proud. I also did my walkaerobics video, which I'm planning to do again in a few minutes. (I used handweights.) I'm still really tuckered, but I think it's going to be SO important in the future.

Now, before I go on, am I correct in calculating from your stats that you only planned to gain 15 pounds???? You're only an inch shorter than I am and you started at below my GOAL weight. I think 25-35 was the usual amount, so I'm just cautioning you that your 160 goal for gain might be a little unreasonable for your pregnant body. Of course I'm no expert, but I just want you to be very forgiving to yourself as you create a life here. I remember asking my doc about weight gain and being overweight and she said the same things STILL require the same weight gain no matter where you started...2 lbs blood, 2 lbs placenta, 2 lbs breasts, or something like that. You get the idea. So just keep in mind all the good things you're doing when you go past 160, ok?

I know what you mean about thinking that you're in a place you could've prevented. I'm holding at 181, which is about 6 pounds since I found out. (I had a week's vacation while I was apparently implananting and such where I ate foods that raised my weight, so it was a bit confusing for me.) As of 5/1 I guess it's about 6 pounds and that feels like a lot, especially for someone overweight like I am. However besides feeling thick, at least I'm healthy and active.

So obviously, I do think your approach to being active is a GREAT one! I can't say enough good things about water aerobics. I started doing it way back when (around 2000) to lose weight when I was with my (now) ex. It's in my backstory somewhere...I'd ballooned up to 220s and finally just said "enough". I picked up Leslie Sansone's walkaerobics videos, walked with friends and did water aerobics and dropped to high 180s. It was fantastic a and as you can see, I'm back to my roots. These are exercises that are great for pregnancy and never go out of style, whether you're just overweight, not really fit, pregnant, or any combo thereof! Water keeps your temperature down and gives bouyancy where needed and resistance as much as you want. (I wear those dorky gloves that create more resistance. LOL) It's a WONDERFUL workout and I'm so excited you're doing it. I'd advise you to pick up some water shoes...something like a water "sneaker" you can find cheaply at Wal-mart. It gives you better traction on the pool floor and protects your feet. I got a pair last year for just a few bucks...it's a worthwhile investment.

Ok, now that I've yapped about exercise, let me say a hearty CONGRATS on your GIRL!! It's especially exciting that you and DH are having an "ours" (you know, versus a "his" or "hers" LOL).
  #33   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 10:25

Stats: 160/136/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Congratulations Kim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominstyle
I think that I have been not caring and now (oops) I am starting to see the results of my laziness. I remember with my last two pregnancies that it took along time to get the weight off (but not LC then.) It's just depressing to have all that weight and know that you could have prevented it in so many ways. I want to enjoy this pregnancy and after my baby girl is born and not have the stress of (ewwww I look gross, or how am I ever going to lose all this weight?) It really weighs you down! (literally)

This is what happened to me last time, and what I promised would not happen again---but I haven't been doing that great. I keep telling myself "I'm trying," well trying is not good enough, I need to DO IT.

So yes, I'm up for a challenge.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 19:49
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I just wanted to admit that I had a carbfest today! <grimace> It really wasn't my intention and I'm not sure how it happened. (Ok, no, the homemade corn muffin didn't just jump into my mouth. heh) I came here to admit my downfall. So even though I did have a good workout today, I really did not choose foods well and I've been tired all day today too (not sure which came first with that). Anyhow, I'm confessing and moving on. Tomorrow is a new day. Keep healthy, ladies!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 21:28
Registered Member

BF:

Lisa ~ Thanks so much for all the great advice. You sound like you are doing so well with all of the exercise, so I wouldn't worry too much about the muffin! As for the challenge. I had ice cream tonight. OH NO!!! Like you said tomorrow is another day and we will be stronger!!!

Daisy ~ Good for you! That is the mind set we all need to be in sometimes huh? Lets all try to do our best tomorrow!

Congrats to you both with your wonderful miracles as well!

~ Kim
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 06:43
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominstyle
Lisa ~ Thanks so much for all the great advice. You sound like you are doing so well with all of the exercise, so I wouldn't worry too much about the muffin! As for the challenge. I had ice cream tonight. OH NO!!! Like you said tomorrow is another day and we will be stronger!!!

Daisy ~ Good for you! That is the mind set we all need to be in sometimes huh? Lets all try to do our best tomorrow!

Congrats to you both with your wonderful miracles as well!

~ Kim

I'm embarrassed to admit that the muffin had a friend...a piece of cake...plus there were other things too. I was a crazy person with carb cravings and ravenous hunger last night! Ahhhhh!

BUT, like you said, today IS a new day. I'm drinking my decaf coffee with coconut oil (which gives me a wonderful, natural rush of energy) and I'm on my way to my Pilates class shortly. I've had eggs for breakfast and taking my pre-natals. I have a busy day ahead and I'm going to treat my body right today. It's like you said, Jennifer, I have to just DO IT. (Thinking of the Nike commercial now. haha)

Have a great day, ladies!
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 11:55

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Congrats to you preggos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
For those of you that did keep your carb levels moderate, how were your fat and protein levels?

I documented every meal I had throughout the majority of my pregnancy. I also listed the carbs, protien, calories, fiber,etc I don't eat every meat but, it would still give you a good idea. You can always substitute real chicken, beef, etc for the soy products I use in it's place. I was very fortunate in finding a very supportive doctor. Hope you will find the same.

Best of luck!

Jenn
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 07:49

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi all, thought I would check in. Things are going pretty well for me. I am settling in to my groove. I have been exercising pretty good too.

FOOD WISE:
My appatite is still "altered" Not real hungry, but not barfy either. Still love oysters I have tried to cut back on them some. I am going on a beach retreat next weekend, so I plan on going crazy on the seafood then. The oregon coast actualy has pretty clean water (relativley speaking ) I have been wanting more things like crab, muscles, clams, and flakey white fish. Funny have not craved salmon, awsome wild salmon these parts.

I have had NO carb binges. That is my aversion food. Thinking about carbs/sweets/starch makes my stomach mildly unsettled. The only sweets I eat are fresh apricots, strawberries, blueberries, and melon. Not in great quantities. Like 4small apricots, 6 strawberries, one "half moon" slice WM or other melon. Maybe an odd apple. And that is only once a day. I give myself full license to have more servings but that is all I can manage right now.

I have been eating lots of beef. I think my baby is going to turn into a cow! Or a rocky mountain oyster
My other faves are scrabled eggs w/avocado chunks, spinach n cheese omlets, green herb and spring mix salads with ITALIAN dressing (not usually a favorite of mine) loaded up with "salad goodies" onion, broccoli, sunflower seeds ect
Nuts, raw almonds, hazelnuts/filberts, peanuts, pistachios, macadamia or whatever.
And the odd protein shake.

EXERCISE WISE:
Like I said......I am a cardiac RN and I work 12 hour shifts 3 days a week. I get my ass ran off on most nights. I work night shift and I am very tired when I get home so NO additional exercise when I get home from work!
After recovery from that, I walk my dog (110 lb rotten lab mix)4 times a week for 45 min to and hour. I usualy go around 4:45am (I am already up, I work nights) The air is sooooo cool and the flowers smell wonderful and the birds are singing. The sun is not quite up yet but it is light out. This is my favorite time of the day I do this every spring/summer/fall when it is not pooring down rain.

WEIGHT WISE:
I have regained and lost that same 1.5lb over the last two weeks. Last time I lost somthing like 6 lbs my first trimester. So I am not worried that I am not really gaining yet. My boobs are still what are really bothering me. They HURT like 6/10 pain just sitting there at times. They grew one cupsise and are now expanding past the new d-cups I JUST BOUGHT! I think I am really gonna be in trouble this time.........

So, how is everyone? Where is everyone?

Last edited by Bandito : Sun, Jun-03-07 at 07:55.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 12:18
Taking MY Turn

BF:

HI Bandito! Hi ladies. I'm here and I'm really drained.

Yesterday we drove 2+ hours (one way) to my Mom's house. This is the house she no longer lives in (she's moved in with us) but we still own while we're trying to clean it out and get it ready for auction and sale. It's utterly exhausting work because it's a 3,600+ square foot home with 2 1/2 households worth of "stuff" in it accummulated over 40+ years. I did a lot of schlepping and cleaning and I will admit I succumbed to unacceptable carbs (like ice cream) yesterday as a result of stress and cravings and being on the road. I know it's not technically an excuse, but what can I tell you. I was weak.

Friday, conversely, I had a great day of hard work at the gym and at home and ate really good food. So I figure today will be good food again (the only sugars will be berries). I started the day with a cheese omelet and the only actual sugar I ingested was one sip of soda. But let me back up to explain further...

This morning involved major clean up and prep for a client meeting. We have our wedding couples over to view their images on a very large screen (we do a slideshow and show them about 200 of their total images personally - then they see them online later). So I had to create a fruit and cheese platter and serve bubbly. But I don't want to call attention to the fact that I'm pregnant, so I toasted with a tiny bit of Sierra Mist (didn't have diet) in my glass...had one sip and that was it. Nobody asked and we were able to concentrate on their day that way. (And the slideshow I whipped together for them - images set to their wedding song - was a smash!)

Last week I was good about exercise and I have taken the weekend "off" since I've been so active. Today I'm utterly exhuasted so I'm going to listen to my body. I'm convinced some of my problem was too much sugar yesterday. My hubby is convinced it's because I'm working too hard. We both might be right, so as difficult as it is, I'm going to take the rest of the day off. (This will mean I'll rest for a little bit and then try to keep my work light - instead of lifting boxes, maybe lighting cleaning - and then dinner.)

My weight isn't great, but I'm hoping if I can just hold it here for a bit (like another month until the end of my first trimester) that should help. I got back to being active last week so if I can continue to do that this coming week I should be ok.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 06:55
Registered Member

BF:

Well Ladies I have had a yucky weekend too! Friday, I woke up with an awful migraine. Had that all day then started to get chills in the evening. I took my temp before I went to bed and it was normal so just thought I was colder than usual. About 3am I woke up soaking wet from sweating off a fever. Tried to go back to sleep and tossed and turned for a couple of hours. My DH finally went to the couch to get more sleep. I think I slept for maybe an hour before I got up. Saturday, still had a headache. UGGG! Then hubby and I went to Hastings and looked through some books and I could have fallen asleep on their sofa there and not cared that everyone was looking at me. We finally went home and I washed face and went to bed. I check temp, nothing. Then 3am. woke up again and checked temp and had 100.5 so I took two tylenols and went back to bed. Woke up from sweating off my fever. So then, Sunday during the day, headache was gone but not fever. I had 99.7 and didn't take anything for that just rested all day hoping it would go away and YEAH it did. I was still tired last night so watched a movie and went to bed. This morning I was supposed to start my first day of water workouts but didn't think I should go since I've been ill. Hopefully today will be good and I can go in the morning.

I think I am going to hard as well. WE just listed our house on the market and I have been cleaning like crazy trying to make it perfect and we also made an offer on another house. It is perfect for our huge family. We are in a 4 bedroom now, but with 4 kids and 1 on the way and a e-commerce business that I run from home, we need 6 bedrooms and this house has that for a price we can manange. So, I guess I have been stressing about that. My hubby has also applied for another job which is a great opportunity for us as well, so I am praying that he will get this job. To top it all off we are upgrading our e-commerce system which takes a lot of time to do. New HOUSE, JOB, SYSTEM, BABY! Lots of life changes and work!

As for my eating habits: I did good on the carbs yesterday. Omelet for breakfast. For lunch, I took three boneless chic breast and pounded them out thin then off to the side I cut up bacon and cooked that and added that to the middle of the chic + grated parm. chez. Then I reserved the bacon grease and added chopped green onions to it and sauted them. I also added those on top. Then I rolled the chic up and secured with toothpicks and put them on the grill. They were very good. Make sure you spray the grill before you put them on there b/c they will stick. I had this with sauted veggies. For dinner I had soup.

Lisa ~ Hope you get some rest! Sounds to me like you are going and going. You will get your energy back in the second trimester. You are doing good by listening to your body.

Bandito ~ Lets hope your baby doesn't turn into a cow or a rocky mountain oyster! Do you say that in front of your little one? He might just believe you. My 5 year old said, "Mommy, what if you had puppies?, can I have one to play with?" She was very serious. Cracked me up! I just love kids, they bring so much Joy!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 09:24

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Lisa, wow how draining! If that was me I would be right with ya sister! In the midst of enoumous stress, I pig out on bad stuff. Packing up stuff has to be one of my LEAST favorite things to do. Hate it. Hate it MORE than working. A lot of "schlepping" indeed
I think your husband may be right about you working too hard. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Any chance you may be able to put off cleaning out your moms house until the second trimester? You will have more energy then. Keep your chin up, you are doing the best you can. Just remember to take some "you" time.

Kim, good luck on your house. It will be so nice to have the extra room. My family is a little crowded here, but we will make it work somehow. I dont envy the whole cleaning up, packing and moving bit. Like I said above, that is my least favorite activity I can think of. But the payoff will be sweet! I wish your husband good luck on that new job too.

I am soo not looking forward to getting a fever or anything. I am glad you are feeling better now. I hope when I finally meet my OB doc that he will have specific orders for me not to take care of any TB (tuburculosis) or anyone with C-diff (contagous bacterial intestinal infection that causes insane diarreah and fever) or any one with MRSA (multi drug resistant saphylococcus aureus) or flesh eating bacteria or anything else that the doc would not be able to treat me for while I am pregnant. That would be sooooo bad I hear that some (most) will do that for a pregnant RN.

Anyways, off to bed for me. I work again tonight.
PS, I just ate a huge plate of oysters
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 16:53
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi ladies! Thanks for the support re: my sugar binges. I'm proud to tell you that I ate really well yesterday and have done so today as well, so I came off Saturday's sugar binge really well. I haven't worked out since Friday, but c'mon, I was exhausted. I rested a LOT on Sunday and today was "light" with me mostly working on the computer and running some errands mid-day.

Kim, I'm so glad you're feeling better...that fever and migraine sounded scary! I've been lucky that all I've felt so far is "off". It does sound like you might be pushing yourself too much. It's exciting news about your house but also I know what a challenge it is/will be! You were wise to wait on the water aerobics.

Bandito, your support is appreciated. I am doing my best to take time for "me" and I'm accepting naps willingly as well as chances to go out to eat (versus preparing dinner, because I'm the only one who does in my house).

You know, the whole fever experience with Kim made me wonder a bit about temps. I've been tracking my temps since ovulating and conception and they actually hover around 98-99 most days. (When I was in my normal cycle they were lower, but once I was pregnant they jumped up a bit and have remained that way.) I guess we all determine what a "temperature" is based on our own baseline then? I wouldn't be inclined, for example, to really worry and seek help unless I went above 99. Any thoughts on that?

Ok, I'm off to dinner that I don't have to cook...yay! Take CARE of yourselves!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 20:25

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

Just wanted to pop in here and say "HI". I am expecting too and just getting back into doing Semi-LC as i feel a whole lot better doing it than i did eating high-carb, sugary crap like i had been doing.

Lisa, my temp runs a bit higher now than it did pre-pregnancy. It was always perfectly normal for me for my temp to be low 96.8 (backwards from what it "should" be) before, and how it's actually closer to normal (98.6).

Kim, good luck with your house selling and the new house and everythign else going on! I feel for you there. My hubby is starting a new job the middle of the month, and it is going to be hard for a couple months for us. We are still at a point in our lives where we are mostly living paycheck to paycheck, and nwo we are suddenly going from him getting paid once a week to once a MONTH! Eeek! However, he won't have to work 60 hours a week plus 10 hours of driving time anymore to make the same money. We are also getting our house all cleaned up to put on the market, which is hard as we are doing it one thing at a time as we have the time/money to do it!

Bandito, I would definately want to stay away from anyone with any wierd illnesses! I'm lucky that I work in an office and don't even have to deal with customers too often. Being in teh setting of an RN must be a little scary when you have a baby growing to worry about as well as yourself.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 12:10
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi ladies...I'm on the run today but wanted to give you an update on my doc appointment. Here is an exerpt from my journal post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
There are a few tricky topics I may or may not post, but from a health and diet standpoint, I thought it important to mention that my bloodwork came back near perfect. I say "near" because I don't know it techincally to be "perfect"...only that my doc kept checking everything and going "good, good, good". Basically all the things that should be negative are, platelets are good, no anemia, and I'm even immune from something called "Fifths disease" which is apparently a serious bonus. Since my confirmation appointment (5/7) I've gained 4 pounds according to their scales, and my doc is thrilled with it. My uterus is growing at the ideal rate (she put me at about 10 weeks) and everything else checked out fine. The only thing I have to follow-up on is my heart murmur, which I've had since I was a baby and has escalated from Grade 1 to Grade 2 (which my doc said is common during pregnancy, and it makes sense to me). Otherwise I just need to keep doing what I'm doing! Needless to say I'm pleased about that because I have SO much to keep doing!

P.S. The tricky topics have to do with pre-natal screening. More on that later, though I don't want to get into a debate with anyone about it. I think it's a VERY personal and private thing that everyone is entitled to decide for themselves.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 17:34

Stats: 160/136/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Congratulations Lisa!

I have not been doing very well on the eating the last few days. My food aversions are starting to go away and I am not quite as fatigued-I'm still pretty tired most of the time but it isn't overwhelming like it was last week. Anyway, that's good, but it's bad that I have been allowing myself to use it as an excuse-like since I didn't feel good and didn't want to eat last week, now I deserve a "treat" because I am feeling better? I don't know if that makes sense or not. I'm guessing not. I'm not giving up though.....

I should be able to start some kind of exercise again this week and that might help.