Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Nancy, just curious, were you breast fed?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 12:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No, I wasn't breast fed. I was born during the time Mom's were sold a bill of goods by the formula industry. It probably helps with the food sensitivity stuff but it isn't a guarantee you're not going to be whalloped by it. On the other hand, I don't have any allergies, but tons of intolerances. Yes, they're different.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 13:14

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I was and I have horrible casein intolerance too. My environmental allergies are well controlled by medication when I'm off dairy and really horrible when I'm not. Even small amounts of cream make a huge difference. I don't have any noticeable digestion-related symptoms at all to anything but soy and arachidonic acid.

And for most of my infancy my mom lived with her parents and age home grown grass fed meat and raw dairy.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 13:55
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Quote:
just curious, were you breast fed?
For myself I'm pretty sure it was milk. I'm not sure a whole breast would fit a food processor.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 14:03

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
just curious, were you breast fed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
For myself I'm pretty sure it was milk. I'm not sure a whole breast would fit a food processor.

Well, I’ve been eating mashed potatoes and cookies in early childhood. Soooo…?
  #66   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 14:14

Plan: post-Pregnancy LC
Stats: 287/283.6/180 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
How come you're swearing off eggs?

Well, I do eat a lot of them, and I do get the typical stuffed nose reactions, so I thought that I'd cut down on the dairy a bit. If it's a choice between cheese and eggs, it's going to be eggs!

M
  #67   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 14:28

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Kneebrace, your silence on Casein concerns me

Hybrid, you always crack me up!! I love to quote your posts to my husband. We're big fans.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 14:39

Plan: post-Pregnancy LC
Stats: 287/283.6/180 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Some of us are lucky enough to have pretty clear symptoms (lucky? really?) that would alert a pretty good physician, but other folks don't.

Presuming a doctor would actually listen to their patient...

Quote:
Is flatulence a symptom one should worry about?

Worry about? Hmm, I don't know. I do know that unless I eat certain foods (potatoes, onions, leeks, soft cheeses such as ricotta, cottage, and cream cheese) I very rarely fart. Ditto for belching (hello, raw broccoli!). Gotta love that rotation dieting.

M
  #69   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 15:53
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrise
Well, I do eat a lot of them, and I do get the typical stuffed nose reactions, so I thought that I'd cut down on the dairy a bit. If it's a choice between cheese and eggs, it's going to be eggs!

M

The reason I asked is that dairy doesn't include eggs but sometimes people get confused about that. But yeah, if they're making you stuffy, then they should probably go.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 16:31
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
I was and I have horrible casein intolerance too. My environmental allergies are well controlled by medication when I'm off dairy and really horrible when I'm not. Even small amounts of cream make a huge difference. I don't have any noticeable digestion-related symptoms at all to anything but soy and arachidonic acid.

And for most of my infancy my mom lived with her parents and age home grown grass fed meat and raw dairy.

Batspit, Do you think your Mum (or anyone else ) remembers wether the environmental allergies were there while you were being breast fed?
  #71   ^
Old Wed, May-23-07, 22:24
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I'm a gluten/casein intolerant gal, and I was breast fed. I was horribly colicky (sp) as well. My favorite food once weaned was toast and butter. I turned my nose up at meat. I had horrible poop problems as a kid, usually painful gas and constipation. I'd forgotten that. I was constipated a lot.

I developed environmental allergies too, big time (hayfever, mostly) but not until my teens. I recall being taken in for allergy tests as a child and them finding the usual suspects (dust mites, mould, pet dander) but I'm not sure why I was tested...hmm. I'll have to ask. Anyway, dairy makes my allergies come back - pushes my threshold up.

And I don't fart anymore either! Only if I eat certain veggies (evil brussels sprouts...)
  #72   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 05:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
And I don't fart anymore either! Only if I eat certain veggies (evil brussels sprouts...)

Ditching the carbs solved my bugle bum ways completely. In fact the intestinal distress I'd assumed was normal (plenty farting, fluctuating between loose poop and constipation) cleared up comprehensively. I'm so proud of my poop these days . Every time I go, I'm reminded of what an amazing gift to the human body low carbing is. My wife too. And we both eat cheese cream and yoghurt every day. I do really feel for the lactose/casein intolerants of this world.

Pity I'm a junkie though .
  #73   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 07:14
Experimenter

BF:

My bowel issues got horrible on Atkins and I couldn't figure out why. Then I got tested by enterolab and found two low carb staples were making me sick: casein and gluten. Removing those from my diet solved a lot of problems.

Tracy, it turns out that gluten is passed in breast milk, I bet casein is too.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 08:58

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

mmm, cheese and wine.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 09:07
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthinish
Stats: 171/156/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Ditching the carbs solved my bugle bum ways completely. In fact the intestinal distress I'd assumed was normal (plenty farting, fluctuating between loose poop and constipation) cleared up comprehensively. I'm so proud of my poop these days . Every time I go, I'm reminded of what an amazing gift to the human body low carbing is. My wife too. And we both eat cheese cream and yoghurt every day. I do really feel for the lactose/casein intolerants of this world.

Pity I'm a junkie though .

That is one of the many benefits I've found with Low carbing. I no longer have mushy over fibrous poop which I have trouble controlling. It's now normal. It's crazy how the "healthy" diet so full of fibre interfered with normal bowel movements. Now without grains my poo is normal. This is a not talked about subject usually but it's made a great difference to me along with no longer having low blood sugar and being hungry all the time.