Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 10:40

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't improve vericose vein conditions as well. We'll see - it runs in my family and I have a small area on my right leg that already seems to be improving. Time will tell.

If DBB even helps reducing old stretch marks, I see no reason why it can’t remove or diminish varicose veins.
For full-scale treatment, you may also incorporate topical applications of the herb Collinsonia canadensis (Stoneroot) and Witch Hazel (Hamamelis), the latter works best if applied chilled, before going to bed.

Quote:
Skin brushing is fantastic on your face too. You'll never have another enlarged pore anywhere you skin bush regularly

True. It has worked like magic for my T-zone
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 13:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, I think this is likely a placebo effect, but I'm willing to try an experiment. The claim is it gets rid of cellulite. I'll do my left leg but not my right leg.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 15:20

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, I think this is likely a placebo effect, but I'm willing to try an experiment. The claim is it gets rid of cellulite. I'll do my left leg but not my right leg.

Be sure to do your left leg with your right hand while standing in a pool of cold water and while reciting ancient tantras - it helps the placebo effect!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 16:39

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteusOne
Be sure to do your left leg with your right hand while standing in a pool of cold water and while reciting ancient tantras - it helps the placebo effect!

To heighten the effect, collect an exfoliated skin, burn it to ashes and throw with the wind

Come on, Nancy, if it were that simple, then I’d rather have rummaged an old shoe scrub out of closet and rendered it magic properties.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 16:59

BF:

NancyLC, I understand your skepticism. Just like I am about, um, unmentionable practices. It is, however, something you can begin feeling immediately. Like hard drugs, just try it, you'll like it!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 18:04
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
It is, however, something you can begin feeling immediately. Like hard drugs, just try it, you'll like it!

Lots of things feel good but the question is, does it actually do anything other than that? I guess if it's orgasmic I'd probably keep at it.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Lots of things feel good but the question is, does it actually do anything other than that? I guess if it's orgasmic I'd probably keep at it.

You can get a small peizo - electric spark generator for zapping the site of mosquito and other prone to itch insect bites. They do work in relieving almost any itch, apparently by the massive voltage (but very low current - 350000 volts , 0.05 milliamps) promoting the production of antihistamines. Which is the evolutionary reason we scratch an itch, antihistamines. The little zappers are far more effective than finger nail scratching. But the really interesting thing is that brushing the itchy bite site with the same brush you would use to skin brush works just as well as the zapper.

So as well as whatever exfoliation, pore unblocking, skin texture refining, varicose vein preventative/ treatment benefits accrue from regular skin brushing, the reason it feels so good is probably this antihistamine cascade.

Not quite orgasmic, but very, very pleasant.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-10-07, 21:01

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Dry brushing gets rid of cellulite?!? Sign me up!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 13:03

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Okay, so I already had a dry skin brush from a few years back when I heard about how great it is. At the time, I didn't get the word that you are supposed to brush your skin "like a butterfly's wing" and so I brushed my skin the way I would scrub a floor....ouch! After once or twice, I was sore and red and stuck the brush into the bathroom closet, probably never to see the light of day again...

Until now! So I dug it out of the closet and went to try it again, but now I am remembering certain things, like counter-clockwise or clockwise brushing ONLY (doing the opposite is very bad, only I can't remember which is good and which is bad) and if you are only supposed to brush TOWARDS the heart or away from the heart...Also, like some areas of the body you can only use circular strokes and some straight strokes? Whew, if it didn't make my skin sore, I probably would have given up just from the sheer complexity!

So my question is, does any of this matter? Or can you just more-or-less brush however feels good and get the same benefits?
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 13:26

Plan: paleo/ lyme diet
Stats: 226.5/187.5/125 Female 5'7"
BF:lots

Towards the heart and then down towards the abdomen and then clockwise following your large intestine.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 13:29
Experimenter

BF:

So... are there any before and after pictures of the miracles dry brushing performs? Just curious... seems like with all these positive results there should be some evidence on the internet somewhere.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 14:31

BF:

Quote:
So... are there any before and after pictures of the miracles dry brushing performs? Just curious... seems like with all these positive results there should be some evidence on the internet somewhere.

Well, I suppose we could ask Eos to show us her evidence, but that might be asking a bit much. It's not that kind of forum!

I haven't done it long enough for any benefit other than having it feel "orgasmic," as you so eloquently surmised. I've also been only doing it twice per week. I plan to increase to everyday.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 14:53
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleogal
Towards the heart and then down towards the abdomen and then clockwise following your large intestine.

Do a lot of people have an accurate mental map of their large intestine? Sorry, that just struck me as funny.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 15:07

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default brushing face

So how does one brush one's face? Down toward the heart? Up, away from the heart? I'm actually pretty intrigued with the whole idea but having a hard time visualizing it. And how long should the whole procedure take?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 15:10

BF:

Quote:
Do a lot of people have an accurate mental map of their large intestine? Sorry, that just struck me as funny.

You don't know the path of your large intestine? Come on, Nancy LC, you really are living the paleo life!

Pssst. Just kidding. I figure mine are somewhere in my abdomen and they go in a million directions, so any which way I scrub oughta be alright...

I do scrub into the general direction of my heart, though. I gotz a pretty good idea where that is.