Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 19:56
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default Supplement use could save U.S. $24 billion

A report released this month by the Dietary Supplement Education Alliance (DSEA) concluded that the use of dietary supplements by specific American populations could result in a savings of at least 24 billion in health care costs over a five year period. The current report updates a similar report commissioned by DSEA in 2005 which estimated 5.6 billion dollars in savings over five years.

The report re-emphasizes that supplementing select groups with calcium and vitamin D, folic acid, omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFAs), and lutein with zeaxanthin could have a tremendous impact on health care expenditure. In the summary of the findings, the report states that the use of calcium and vitamin D by postmenopausal women could potentially avoid approximately 776,00 hospitalizations for hip fractures and a significant number of extended nursing facility stays for this group, resulting in a savings of 16.1 billion dollars.

If folic acid were used by the 44 million American women of childbearing age, 600 fewer infants would be born with neural tube defects, resulting in a savings of 1.4 billion dollars over five years. Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in the amount of 1800 milligrams per day among those over the age of 65 would result in a 3.2 billion dollar savings, and avoidance of 374,301 hospitalizations over the next five years. And just 6 to 10 milligrams lutein with zeaxanthin per day is estimated to save $3.6 billion by preventing 190,927 individuals from losing their independence due to loss of central vision resulting from macular degeneration.

“Rapidly escalating health care costs in the U.S. have severe implications for our society as a whole,” DSEA president Jon Benninger stated. “This study provides valuable data that may lead to preventative health care solutions and address the budgetary problems facing federal and state health insurance programs, corporate health cost managers and individual families.”

According to the US Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Agriculture, “The Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans acknowledges that some Americans may need a vitamin and/or mineral supplement to meet specific nutrient needs.” In view of the potential savings for an overburdened health care system alone, not to mention the prevention of a significant amount of suffering and disability, the consistent use of nutritional supplements by at-risk groups could greatly benefit these populations, as well as our society as a whole.

Health Concern: Age related macular degeneration

Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a condition characterized by the deterioration of the macula. Macular is derived from the Latin word, macula, meaning spot. The macula is the central and most vital area of the retina, providing the clearest, most distinct vision needed, for example, in seeing fine detail, reading, driving, and recognizing facial features. There are two forms of macular degeneration: atrophic (dry) and neovascular (wet). Both forms of the disease may affect both eyes simultaneously. Vision can become severely impaired, with central vision rather than peripheral vision affected. The ability to see color is generally not affected, and total blindness from the condition is rare.

As lutein and zeaxanthin are the essential pigments within the macula, it is critical to replenish them as they become depleted through the aging process. Consumption of foods rich in these substances is especially important since they have a direct affect on macular pigment density. When the pigment in the macula is denser, retinal tearing or degeneration is less likely. Lutein and zeaxanthin are found in yellow or orange vegetables, in dark leafy greens, and in fruits with yellow or orange hues. Egg yolk is a good source of lutein. Dietary supplements of lutein and zeaxanthin are recommended.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-071.shtml

http://www.lef.org/newsletter/2007/2007_05_08.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 19:59
Thank you Dr Atkins!

I am convinced that if everyone went on low carb diet and reasonable supplements - that we would have a major problem with hospitals, doctors, and other health care related industries going bankrupt from a severe down turn in business.

It would be so bad, that the lawsuits that followed would not be worth it - because whatever health care practicioners that were left - would not have the money to collect from.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 20:06

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Ke,
Your dreaming my friend. Supps don't work. We get all of our nutrition from food!! Man maybe you should read a medical journal or a newspaper..get yourself educated.

What we all need to do, is eat 7-8 serivngs of grains a day,along with alot of fruit and veggies and eat low fat meat only..about the size of a deck of cards.

To start our day(from a nutritional standpoint) we should have a bowl of oatmeal(with honey and brown sugar)a glass of orange juice,some strawberries, 8 oz of skim milk and some toast with margerine.

Now after that, why would we need supplements? I wish you would stop misleading people with all this unecessary supplement talk..
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 21:39

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

oatmeal, orange juice, strawberries and milk? That is way too much breakfast for me. Where can most people even get GOOD quality veggies and fruit year round? Sure, when these items are in season, they're good, but when they aren't they are tateless and lack in nutrients.

This study was a waste of time in my opinion. Who doesn't know that folic acid is good for pregnant women? Who doesn't know that vit. D and Calcium go together for max. calcium absorbtion? Who doesn't know that lutein is good for your eyes? All of this seems obvious to me. Supplements do help, especially if you're on a diet lacking in a lot of nutrients. There are more nutrients needed other than the omega fatty acids, lutein, and calcium. I don't drink milk. I hate milk. I also don't eat enough foods that have a lot of calcium. If I don't have soy milk (which isn't even good for my PCOS), then I have to have a calcium supplement.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 21:56

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

I was joking...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 22:52

BF:

Sarcasm doesn't transfer over the Internet well *sarcasm* LOL
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 04:45
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Who doesn't know that folic acid is good for pregnant women? Who doesn't know that vit. D and Calcium go together for max. calcium absorbtion? Who doesn't know that lutein is good for your eyes?

The FDA, AMA, and big pharma pay for studies every month that prove that supplements do no good, are a waste of time and money and (most importantly) could be dangerous!

FUD = fear, uncertainty, and doubt

My guess is that only a small percentage of the US population knows what you mentioned. An even smaller percentage is willing to try it - after all the "health experts" advise against it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 06:37

BF:

'Health experts' advise that people do not do low carb diets, too. Why? Because they are healthy? Why are all supplements deemed useless? Where are the studies that they have done using a variety of different brands of supplements? As we all know, not all are created equal. It's kind of unfair to say that all supplements are useless and don't work.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 06:55
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
'Health experts' advise that people do not do low carb diets, too. Why? Because they are healthy? Why are all supplements deemed useless? Where are the studies that they have done using a variety of different brands of supplements? As we all know, not all are created equal. It's kind of unfair to say that all supplements are useless and don't work.

I agree with you 100% - but the FDA, AMA, and big pharma publish one or two of these studies every month. Then once a study has been published - it is gospel and there is no reason to think anything else (in their minds).

In some cases they manipulate the study. For example, they give an extremely low dosage, they omit other supplements that are required to work with them, they only give non fat foods with fat soluble vitamins, etc.

Another trick is to not do any real study at all - but just study other studies that have been done. First they find a reason to throw out all studies that show benefit. Then only studies that show no benefit are left. Therefore, there is over whelming evidence to support their claims of no benefit.

I kid you not. I have published several of these studies in this forum and then the reaction from several of the supplement research groups.

Furthermore - The FDA, AMA, and big pharma are currently trying to pass legislation in the US Congress to ban supplements. They tried in 1990s - were defeated - and are now trying again. My understanding is that supplements were banned in Europe?

THe same people (I call them "health experts") that tell us not to eat meat, eggs, fat, etc - but everything that is high glycemic and loaded with sugar is healthy.

So you tell me what they are trying to do?

Fill up the doctors offices and hospitals and have everyone on a handful of prescription drugs from cradle to grave.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 07:03

BF:

I want to know, if low carb is soooo unhealthy, why people get diabetes? And then these people go on low carb diets and exercise and are fortunate enough to get rid of their diabetes. It makes me laugh, really, all the lies these huge groups tell everyone and the majority ends up believing them. They're no different than the government. Its ridiculous.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 07:14
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
I want to know, if low carb is soooo unhealthy, why people get diabetes? And then these people go on low carb diets and exercise and are fortunate enough to get rid of their diabetes. It makes me laugh, really, all the lies these huge groups tell everyone and the majority ends up believing them. They're no different than the government. Its ridiculous.

The AMA and FDA are the government. Big Pharma controls the FDA and AMA so they force the government to do their dirty work for them.

Go look at the contracts that big pharma pays to the top 30% of the FDA employees. In addition to receiving their six figure FDA pay, big pharma companies are often paying them (FDA top employees) much more - to do something for their new drug that is coming down the pipe line. Then they go back to their FDA office and vote to approve the new drug.

Look at the news stories about how much drug companies pay doctors for consulting fees, "seminars" (lavish trips to beautiful vacation spots where the spend a few hours going over all the benefits of the companies drugs to the doctor), and many other perks and handouts.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 07:19
Thank you Dr Atkins!

If I was in charge -- pharma companies, the FDA, AMA - whoever brought forward some new drug or surgery - would have to show how it out performed natural and alternative methods.

For example, diabetes drugs, stomach bypass surgeries, ADD medicines, dementia medicines, cholesterol drugs, etc -- nearly every drug and surgery that we have today -- would have to be tested against the low carb diet, supplements, and moderate exercise.

Then maybe pharma companies would get back to solving the real medical problems and not creating artificial problems that they can push billions (trillions) of drugs and surgeries on.

"health experts" are saying (with authority) -- what is healthy is unhealthy and what is unhealthy is healthy -- tried to outlaw any natural / alternative health -- thereby creating huge medical problems that they can easily create surgeries and prescription drugs for.

Last edited by kebaldwin : Wed, May-09-07 at 07:36.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 11:44

BF:

Hey, if I made 6 figures, I'd lie, too, LOL!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 14:53

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Quote:
I am convinced that if everyone went on low carb diet and reasonable supplements - that we would have a major problem with hospitals, doctors, and other health care related industries going bankrupt from a severe down turn in business.
I disagree. I think healthcare would just evolve. Sort of like dentists. They are doing less work filling cavities and more work making our smiles beautiful these days. If I could go to a doctor and get good advice on supplements I would go! As it is now I have several questions that I am spending too much time googling trying to answer. If supplementation became more mainstream answers would be easier to be found.

I am basically a healthy person. No major health issues. But there is plenty of stuff I would like to tweak, if I could only figure out the proper supplements and proper dosage. And I would be willing to pay for the advice. Unfortunately there is nobody to ask...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-09-07, 15:51

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Diva
As it is now I have several questions that I am spending too much time googling trying to answer. If supplementation became more mainstream answers would be easier to be found.
But there is plenty of stuff I would like to tweak, if I could only figure out the proper supplements and proper dosage.
And I would be willing to pay for the advice. Unfortunately there is nobody to ask...

WHAT? Nobody to ask? What do you think Naturopath's do?

FYI: Naturopathic medicine is the method of using supplementation and other natural resources for healing.
They are healers of the mind, body and soul as where Allopathy doctors run a money making business.

Naturopathy>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Naturopathy

And ... there are plenty of great natural care professionals practicing Naturopathic medicine, Ayurvedic medicine, Herbalism, Chinese medicine in Western New York - you can find them by do the same research to find a good doctor.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=333581

Last edited by NYNikki : Wed, May-09-07 at 17:23.