Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 09:39

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Posts for the week of 6 May '07

Wa'li wanted the PP folks to have a new thread start. The Java Room had just gotten too big. And many of the previous posters have stopped posting. SOOOoo, I will start a new thread as a replacement for the Java Room and the casual banter that was posted there. If this seems to be a good system we can continue it, OR try something else.

I need to quit now and go get some work done. My "tank" is full of my high fat breakfast ! I will check in at supper.

Larry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 15:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Thanks Larry!

things are still on track with me, although I don't post much. too busy with work right now. I have gotten more serious about exercise; we are walking 3-4 times a week anywhere from 30 min to one hour and my body is really responding well to more movement.

Still sticking with PP. weight loss has slowed a bit and am wondering if its going to plateau out at some point and if I will have to make a great effort to reach 155 or not. time will tell.

Jen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 19:01

BF:

Jen,

I certinally know about busy. I retired four years ago and am now busier than when I worked.

I am in town to get my teeth cleaned and to see the doc to find out why my right knee is acting up.

Being an engineer, I was "sold" on PP/PPLP because of the science. I like knowing WHY things work the way they do. But since I have been reading on lowcarber, I have come to the conclusion that most low carb, IF they are REALLY low carb not lower carb, plans are working toward the same goals. The difference is in the details of how to get there. I never had far to go so cannot relate to people needing to loose as much as weighed at my max.

Hope some of the other PPers here "stop by" and post a note.

Larry
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-06-07, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

Hey, Larry, just wanted to say thank you again for the book. It has been great reading!

I'm trying to track down the results of the nutrition assay of the entire edible portion of an elk that was due to be published in 2000, however.

Am also thinking I need some magnesium! I guess I'm also eating too much fat to lose any more weight, but the fat is what keeps my binging under (somewhat) control.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 11:33
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. Life's been a little extra challenging lately. For those of you that don't visit my journal, the Reader's Digest version is...

1) Still eating and living according to the HF/PPLP. **
2) Adjusting exercise to yoga/pilates and hopefully some water aerobics soon.
3) Trying to adjust to having Mom live with us. She's wonderful to have here, but understandly demanding on my time and it's a new balance I must find.
4) Wedding season has begun and the first wedding of the season was this past Saturday. My brain is mush trying to keep on top of everything.

I guess that's it. I miss you all! I'll try to be in touch again soon.

**I should clarify that I'm 25 pounds from goal weight, but I've decided to keep carbs around 40-50 net for personal reasons, so at best I'd be happy to maintain and just be healthy at this point. Just getting through this crazy season of our business (talk to me again at the end of June, haha) will be success enough for me!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 17:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Hey, Larry, just wanted to say thank you again for the book. It has been great reading!
You are most welcome! Now you know why I am most adamant about people getting AND reading PPLP.
Quote:
I'm trying to track down the results of the nutrition assay of the entire edible portion of an elk that was due to be published in 2000, however.
I did a quick attempt at finding out about the wallaby and quickly got discouraged. I may have to try to contact Dr. Mike and see if he can help us.
Quote:
Am also thinking I need some magnesium!
The Magnesium Miracle chapter is one of the things that made me an Eades disciple. It is one of the places that they show they learned from the first book (PP) and were very willing to change. Their stand on flax is another.
Quote:
I guess I'm also eating too much fat to lose any more weight, but the fat is what keeps my binging under (somewhat) control.
Your statement is a little contradictory. Maybe it is the “slips” that is the problem and not the fat. BUT your experience shows how important enough fat is. It makes resisting the siren call of carbs much easier.

Forgot to say
Quote:
HI, Lisa!!

Miss you BUT know how it is to be so busy you are not sure where you are.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

Actually, Larry, it was an elk they were studying! Let me know if you find out anything.

You may be right...it may be the "slips" that has me pretty much maintaining where I am now. I'm willing to entertain that notion! I'm working on decreasing the frequency of those. High fat helps.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-11-07, 22:30

Default any good??!!

So, tonight I was on the phone with my mom (second time this week) asking her for a favorite family dessert recipe that I plan to de-carb for a party tomorrow. She gives me the recipe, along with a ton of advice about custards and whipping egg whites - as usual forgetting that I was a pastry chef in my former life and made custards and whipped egg whites for a living...sigh. But hey, that's what moms are for - passing along thier tips and tricks and trying to make things easier for thier kids. Anyway, I mention that I plan to make a low carb version, so some of it is going to get changed anyway...(why, why did I bother mentioning this!!) and she comments, "Is that low carb really doing any good?" in a sort of exasperated-I'm-sick-of-hearing-about-low-carb-because-low-fat-is-the-only-way-to-eat-and-you-are-killing-yourself-with-that-butter sort of way.

ANY GOOD??? I should have just laughed out loud. Health benefits aside - because she is never going to get into her head the idea that low carb is healthy - I gave that up long ago - She's been bragging about how I've lost 45 pounds and she's been buying and sending me new clothes because I am back to a "regular" size. This from the woman who tells me over and over again how much better she feels when she stops eating sugar which she does almost yearly for lent.

"Yeah mom its doing good. The only way that 45 pounds is gonna stay off is eating low carb. I'm in this for good."

Insert new subject into conversation here.

PPers thanks for letting me vent. Hope your week was good.

Jen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 10:26

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Jen....I get advice all the time from my sister....especially medical advice, despite the fact that I'm the only RN in the family! LOL

I've also tried so many times to get my sister on LC, but to no avail. She's a bit overweight, but not much....but she's diabetic on max doses of 2 meds and still having high readings.....and she has high blood pressure! But it's "dangerous" for her according to her dietician! I've not given up tho!!! just more subtle.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 09:33
Taking MY Turn

BF:

So glad you vented, Jen! It gets so old when people try to suggest the way we eat is anything but healthy. Sure I enjoy butter and all sorts of fat, but I can't remember a time in my life I enjoyed more whole, fresh, organic, nutrient-dense foods! Ah well, you handled yourself brilliantly! Well done.

P.S. So...what was the dessert you decided on? Heh, see where my mind is!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-15-07, 16:11

Stats: 178/000/145 Female 5ft. 4in.
BF:
Progress: 539%

Hello fellow PP!

I am usually a lurker, but maybe this will perk this section of the forum up a little bit.
I have been on PP/PPLP since June 2004. I do love reading about all the different ways to eat LC. I love PP because it is really something you can live with for life!

Nice meeting you all, even though, I have read a lot of you around the forum.
Larry, thanks for starting this!

Have a Terrific Tuesday!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605

P.S. So...what was the dessert you decided on? Heh, see where my mind is!

Rubarb Strawberry bars. Shortbread crust, rhubarb strawberry custard filling, merigune (dang I can't spell that) top. All low carb. Will post recipe at some later point.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-16-07, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try4Me
Hello fellow PP!

I am usually a lurker, but maybe this will perk this section of the forum up a little bit.
I have been on PP/PPLP since June 2004. I do love reading about all the different ways to eat LC. I love PP because it is really something you can live with for life!

Nice meeting you all, even though, I have read a lot of you around the forum.
Larry, thanks for starting this!

Have a Terrific Tuesday!

Hi and thanks for posting!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 07:17
Taking MY Turn

BF:

OMG Jen...that dessert sounds amazing and a lot like what I should be eating lately (dessert-wise). Try4Me, welcome to the PP section...glad to have you!

Larry...so...how are you?

As for an update on me, I just got back from Mom's (again). I arranged a walk-through with an auction company and got a lot done, but needless to say the whole process has been huge amounts of stress for me and my family. I've had to babysit everyone emotionally while trying to oversee everything as well (it's all on my shoulders). I've gained some weight, which I plan to explain very honestly in my journal later today or tomorrow. But I am feeling good and healthy.

Hugs to all and keep healthy PPers!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-17-07, 17:23

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default It took awhile!

I've been awol from the boards for over a month or so.
Mostly because I've been so very busy.
Partly because I was sitting at that stubborn 156 pounds for weeks.
Then, last week, I tiptoed onto the scale and saw it at 154. Then there was Mother's day coming up. I thought for sure that 156 would be right back.

We had a cookout for Mother's day with another family. I was good (although 2 glasses of a sweet wine, so I have no doubts I was eating more "maintenance" levels than not), but usually a small cheat means another week or two at the same weight.

Much to my delight, I tipped the toe on the scale again, and it said 151. I was so shocked, I couldn't even put that on my stats...put 152 instead!

So it took awhile, but the scale is moving again!
By the way, the inches were not moving either...so I'll be remeasuring this weekend, too.

yea!