Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 11:17

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile Hang in there!

Hang in there you guys! Rain and JoAnne, this WOE does work, but it may take a bit to start the scale in that downward spiral! When I read the CAD they tell you to do the WOE for two weeks and then see how your second week's average compares to the first. In my mind I tell myself there's a two week "induction" and I shouldn't expect to lose a lot during the first two weeks (or the two weeks after I cheat!). I lost 40lbs the first time I did this WOE, and then fell off the wagon. Now I'm making it my WOL, so I know that the pounds will come off.

Just keep enjoying your RM within the guidelines, compare your weekly averages, and remember-we didn't gain our weight overnight!

-animaldoc
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 12:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Default Thanks Doc!

.............I am planning on 'HANING IN THERE" for at least another month or so. It could be .................maybe not everyone can lose on low carbing? Especially, after doing low fat/ low calorie most of my life!

Thanks for you suggestions and help!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 09:01

Plan: Heller(CALP)
Stats: 230/222/140
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default JoAnn

I want you to know that I really enjoy reading your posts. Smart lady, good sense of humor! You're already half way to your answer...you know it's more of an emotional issue than a physiological one for you. I, too, am an emotional eater, but my carb addiction is sooooooo strong. When I am actively controlling the insulin levels the temptation is not as powerful, but always there. Kind of like AA...one day at a time. Food is our booze.

Good luck and keep in touch!!
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 09:27

BF:
Default Howdy Offdawagon!

.........thank for your encouragement! I don't plan to give up.........just swithing gears at this time. I think everyone must find their "nitch" in order what will work best with their bodies.

One thing I discovered is.........I read in one of the Atkins' older books and it said that taking hypertenison medication / diuretic, can cause a problem in losing on the low carb way of eating. I do take that medication, and that could very well be my problem?

Since I just spent $75.00 on low carb groceries............I plan to give it one more STAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL And I hope it will work. If not, then I must resort to the low fat/low calorie, as I cannot get off of my hypertension medication. My blood pressure is hereditary and not from what I eat.

I will still be posting and hope to continue to hear from all of you low carbers! We are all here to help each other, no matter, what diet we are following! Right?

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 10:59

BF:
Default JoAnn

I think you're absolutely right...It's not about your plan. This is support for everyone. There is a strong possibility that your meds are affecting your weight loss with the CALP. There are many meds that can spike insulin levels...ibuprofen, aspirin, any of NSAIDs. Medications for blood pressure are notorious, as are some anti-depressants. You're right...you need your meds, so you have to be patient and let your body do the adjusting. As I said in the last post, you sound like you're really thinking this through and I'm sure you're going to find the right combination. Before I started my program 2 years ago, I had been told I was beginning to borderline w/ my BP. Of course, the doc said, "If you'd lose some weight, it would come down." It was 130/90. Two weeks after I started the program, I stopped by the office. I had lost about 4 lbs., and when they took my BP, it was down to 114/68 (normal for me)!!! I knew 4 pounds out of my 230 couldn't have been causing my pressure to rise, so I assume and still believe it was the excessive insulin weaving its way through my body and affecting everything. The doc that was pretty interesting. Talk to you again soon!!!
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:22

BF:
Default Howdy Offdawagon!

About 8 yrs. ago, I had lost all the weight I needed to lose, and was walking 4 miles a day.........and my blood pressure was still up. So, it is most definitely hereditary. So, I have to have the medication, regardless of what diet I do.

I have lost before on the Atkins, with hypertension meds.......however, I don't know if it was a diurectic included at that time or not?

So, my plan is to do the Atkins Induction again and go from there and see how I do.

I will use the CALP to maintain my weight when I get this AWFUL 30 pounds back off.

And you are right.............I do need to exercise regardless of what program. The weather here in TEXAS is getting a lot better, and I will do my best to start walking!

Thanks for the encouragement!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:38

BF:
Default Lucky JoAnn

It's freezing here in SW Virginia!!! I won't be going outside until at least the end of April! I am so envious of anyone enjoying anything above 60F...LOL!!!!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: CALP/Atkins
Stats: 175/140/110
BF:
Progress: 54%
Cool Lucky JoAnn!

I agree! You JoAnn are pretty lucky to have that nice weather! It's so cold here in NY! Like Offdawagon says, I don't think I'll be going out any time soon! LOL

I thought your posts were pretty interesting. Also, I can't agree more about the fact that we're here to support each other, reagrdless of what plan we follow.

So, I see that you're back on Atkins JoAnn, good luck and let me know how that works for you! I've gotten used to coming here and reading your posts! I'm not following any diet since yesterday. Just being careful with what I eat. My throat hurts pretty badly so I'm not eating much either and need to recup before anything else...I feel more at peace today...The scale has gone back down to 132 lbs, this is the weight I started February with, so i'm back to the starting line. Maybe I'll still get to lose some pounds this month.

(Yesterday and today, I've been fasting because of my throat-very difficult to swallow food right now. I've been drinking hot liquids and juice, and I think that's why the scale moved back down. Still, I'll take it! LOL)
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 16:22

BF:
Default Get well, Rain!

Hope you feel better soon!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 16:29

BF:
Default Howdy Rain from TEXAS!

Rain..........I sure hope you get well soon! Hey, I am with you, I will take a loss anyway I can get it! Good for you!

Yes, I am doing the Atkins. I hope I can see a few pounds lost in the next couple of weeks! Getting anxious!

Rain ............hang in there and hopefully, it will work for you!

Jo Ann in Beautiful Weather in TEXAS
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 17:04

Stats: 175/155/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Switching from Atkins to CALP

Hi Everyone ,
I recently changed from the Atkin's to CALP. But I'm worried about not being in BDK. How do I continue to lose weight without it
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/181/160
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default looking for new CALP friends!Join me!

Hey everyone,
Whats all the excitement about What is CALP I have never heard of it. Please, someone, tell me all about it. The Atkins diet is good and you will lose weight but it is very strict. Is CALP better
Someone answer soon
Maria
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 18:55

Stats: 175/155/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default CALP vs Atkin's

Hey Mimami4 ,
I just switched from Atkin's to CALP. It's neat to get a reward meal once a day. , makes life a little more interesting. However I will not know about it's effectiveness until I weigh at my Naturalpath's office. I feel like I am continuing to lose, but I'm not sure. I only switched over a week ago
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/181/160
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default looking for new calp friends!join me!

But what is it nwkidintwn What type of diet is it Whats the name of the book everyone is talking about Whats the concept Please someone tell me Atkins is strict If I can switch to something not so strict, someone tell me
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 207.5/203/190
BF:
Progress: 26%
Exclamation Don't rush into CALP.......

or ANY other diet without fully knowing the facts of how it works first!

CALP has to do with decreasing insuling release. You eat LC two meals a day, and have a balanced RW (Reward Meal) once a day. But, it's not as easy as that.

nwkidintwn, you ask about not being in BDK on CALP. Don't know that term...is it ketosis? If so, CALP does not work using ketosis.

mimami4, to learn more about CALP; look on the right side of your screen and click on "which low-carb plan is right for me". You can find info there to tell you if you are interested in trying CALP.

Then, if you are interested.....you really should go out and buy the book: Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program.

You can get a lot of great information on the net about this and other lc diets. But, I dont' think anyone following any of the programs that is successfully losing weight would recommend that you do it without reading the book for that plan and fully understanding how the diet/wol is supposed to work, and if it is really for you.

Good luck in your quest; keep us posted on what you decide.