Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:42

Plan: none
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 100
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuna
Yeah right! Come walk in my shoes for 30days and tell me it is my willpower that is lacking! Your funny! Do you tell a alcoholic he just needs more will power?
That should be you're funny, short for you are.

Quote:
Yeah I am sure you are a editor, it amazes me how many people say they are a professional "such and such" when they get picked on.
Well laugh all you like, the fact is I am, and I have also published a number of books both written by me and by others. I proofread academic books.
Quote:
Maybe you should stick to your "editing" and let the doctors do there own work! P.S. Read the book!
Presumably you mean 'let the doctors do their own work'? For you to suggest I read any book is highly amusing, you must find it quite difficult with the big words if you make such elementary mistakes with the little ones.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:100% sure I got it
Progress: 57%

I don't eat at MacDonald's so I am not a "Mug", even if I did, I'm still not a "Mug" whatever that's supposed to mean. The majority of low carbers don't eat at MacDonald's, the only suitable protein there are those dried up Macpatties. So I don't know how you are connecting "MacMurder" with this support forum?
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:45

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet
I think you are confusing addiction and lack of will power. Addiction is a clearly defined chemical body state. If carbs were addictive everyone would be addicts. Most aren't, so one must conclude that some have difficulty restraining their urges. This comes over in a number of posts. I have never spent all day desperately wanting to overindulge any food. I eat when hungry, I eat to live, not live to eat. To call it addiction is to avoid responsibility for your own eating habits, handy if you can get away with it, but don't expect to convince me just by saying so.

willpower has nothing at all to do with what the body will demand. and while our brains can say "no" all we want, our bodies will react violently with the need.

just so you're aware, humans crave certain foods because the body is lacking something within that given food, and since the body cannot tell us "i need vitamin X and mineral Y", we will have a craving for a specific food that holds some or all of the lacking items. for many of us here, that specific item is sugar in one of its many forms. and what's truly sad is that the trends we see today where people are becoming more and more obese is indicative that an addiction to sugar is rapidly becoming the rule, not the exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piet
Another admission. No I have absolutely no idea what it feels like to crave the things that people here have mentioned. Which in no way means I accept they are addicted, just an admission of my lack of experience of this facet of human behaviour.

everyone's biochemistry is slightly different. just because you don't know what it's like to be addicted to carbs doesn't mean others here don't suffer from it. do you know what it's like to be allergic to chestnuts? to be throwing up every 2 hours? to be huddled in a blanket, shaking with cold, and still sweating profusely? to not even be able to keep water down? no? guess what, i do. and your lack of experience with allergies to chestnuts does not in ANY way lessen my body's intolerance of them.

my body also cannot tolerate large amounts of carbohydrates. just because yours can does not mean my body is automatically going to start accepting them purely because you say i should.

piet, all you've done here is demonstrated an infinite capacity for hubris, you've been afforded respect by some on this thread which you have NOT earned, and for all your supposed intelligence you show nothing but ignorance about a topic on which we have all become experts. your only interest in all of this is to ruffle our feathers... you're not here to educate yourself, you're not here to share information, you're not even here to offer support. all i can think is that you're here because you literally have nothing better to do. i can only hope that you're not this much of an ass in real life... if so, i'm glad you're a continent away from me.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:46

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by easylyvin
I don't eat at MacDonald's so I am not a "Mug", even if I did, I'm still not a "Mug" whatever that's supposed to mean. The majority of low carbers don't eat at MacDonald's, the only suitable protein there are those dried up Macpatties. So I don't know how you are connecting "MacMurder" with this support forum?

Because we eat meat. And for some reason, that's bad. I guess.

Also, to me "mug" = "container that one puts a delicious hot beverage into"

Piet, are you calling me a delicious hot beverage?
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:47

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
Piet:

If you'll break that up into paragraphs with a little white space, I would be willing to read it.

Kay

You must find books a challenge.
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:52
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
You must find books a challenge.
Only the ones which have been poorly edited.

Kay
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:53

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The last time I checked, books had distinct paragraphs.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
OK--have to ask this...what is it about April that all the "Balls" in the world are coming to visit???

Spring break....bored children. I'm sure you get the picture.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:55

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Sorry about mixing up your gender - honest mistake.

But for someone who came in flaming and calling names, you sure protest when criticisms are made. Perhaps, don't come in calling everyone "mad" or accusing them of lacking willpower, and you'd get a better reception.

As to your writing, I'll drop it. You haven't communicated very well; your first post was nearly unreadable. Good writers tend to write well naturally, although all of us can make mistakes. You are right that it's moot, though, so I'll drop it. Your less than admirable grasp of nutrition and ignoring of valid arguments, though, are harder to ignore.

You make claims that you can't factually back up, or have not tried to. I made a lengthy argument with your assertation that meat was what causes obesity; an argument you ignored. Correcting your factual inaccuracy isn't petty nit picking. Ignoring valid arguments and focusing on those who returned the mud flinging you started is not going to help your credibility.

The religion angle is interesting because I don't go to other diet websites to evangelize for or against their style. That is something a religious person would do. That seems to be what you are doing.

So - care to actually address your dubious assertation that meat causes obesity in some vaguely factual manner?

Sorry for ignoring you, these posts are disappearing into past pages too quickly for me to keep track. I didn't mean to ignore a reasoned argument. So here goes. I'm not actually saying meat causes obesity, more that the fat in meat does, and all red meat is laced with fat. That's why some people only eat low fat meat such as chicken breast. And eating a lot of meat is pretty wastefull as the body needs so much protein, and the rest goes down the sewers. I only really started on about meat because I had thought that was what Atkins was all about. If it's really about eating lots of veg and fruit then I'm with you!
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:56

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
and it's a pretty cheap jibe to drop that one in to score a minor point, but if you feel that desperate, go on and point out why I should use a spell checker. As a professioanl editor I spend a good bit of my life correcting others' typos and spelling mistakes, but on boards I think we can all relax a bit can't we?
Why do you persist in spelling orangutan with a space between the 'g' and 'u'? That's incorrect in any country.

It would seem that it's spring break and the kiddies are out of school and bored. It has ever been thus on any forum I have ever participated in during any holiday from school.

Troll (trol) verb

To post a message in a newsgroup or other online conference in the hopes that somebody else will consider the original message so outrageous that it demands a heated reply. A classic example of a troll is to post an article in favor of torturing cats in a pet lovers' newsgroup.
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:57

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Piet still hasn't answered my question. >:-(
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
That should be you're funny, short for you are.

Well laugh all you like, the fact is I am, and I have also published a number of books both written by me and by others. I proofread academic books.
Presumably you mean 'let the doctors do their own work'? For you to suggest I read any book is highly amusing, you must find it quite difficult with the big words if you make such elementary mistakes with the little ones.

Are you trying to score brownie points? I am not a editor so why should I care...
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 14:59

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfonclaw
Because we eat meat. And for some reason, that's bad. I guess.

Also, to me "mug" = "container that one puts a delicious hot beverage into"

Piet, are you calling me a delicious hot beverage?

Only if you want to be called such.
As for the Mac thing, I didn't start it, some people here were whining about the sugars in the buns etc. and about fast foods generally, so that seemed to be one of the problems.
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 15:00

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfonclaw
Piet still hasn't answered my question. >:-(

don't feel bad, he's ignored both of my posts. i'm thinking kyrasdad has proven too much for him and all he has left are ad hominems for the rest of us .
  #105   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 15:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Ray Kroc died of heart failure at age 81. Who is your good authority?

I'm guessing the same one that told him Dr. Atkins died of colon cancer and that low carbers eat all their meals at McDonalds.