Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I'm still here..... I have learned that the ONLY way I am going to lose is to cut cals AND carbs.... so.... drum roll please....

I'm actually down to 141 - a new low. And it only took 17 very strict days to get here. I don't know what I actually weighed 17 days ago as I was away from home and didn't have a scale - but here I am now at 141.

Let's rally Turtles!!!

All the best, Julie
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 21:25
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hey, Julie! Way to go, girl! Major, big, huge congratulations to you!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 21:38
Never Give Up!

BF:

I gave up! No, no, don't panic! I didn't give up LC, but just gave up counting calories. I intended to give it up for the rest of this month, but Julie's success has restored my hope. However, I had been trying to keep my calories at 1200/day, and I was constantly hungry, despite maintaining fats at 80% of my total calorie intake. The past 2 days, though, I have gone over 2000 calories/day, which is a seriously bad rebound in the wrong direction!

I believe I will begin to count calories again tomorrow, but aim for a more reasonable number, something like 1500 or so.

What do the rest of you think about that? Does it sound realistic?
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 08:15

BF:

Thanks Kisal.....

I'd die of starvation at 1200. I've been averaging 1900 and 28 carbs.

Let us know how the counting goes!

Julie
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 08:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

WTG Julie! Any little bit of encouragement for us Turtles is a great thing! Keep up the good work. I admire anyone who can remain strict and in control even in the light of stalls!

Kisal...I don't know if you've ever seen this website or if it will help you, but check it out if you'd like to see about calories. http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/calories-goal.php It has me eating 1450 calories to lose about 1.5 pounds a week. I was trying to eat lower than that and perhaps that wasn't the way to go because like you, I was always hungry and then that usually spelled disaster for me.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 09:33

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%
Default Greeting fellow amphibians

I'm going to jump in this pond, if it's ok with you all. Hi Char, you and I post in many of the same journals!!

I don't lose steadily, my loss is unpredictable and goes in large spurts. I have been able to keep up my motivation and enthusiasm, b/c now I see my pattern. Not sure why this happens. The body and metabolism must hit new setpoints, I guess.

My latest wooosh was 9 lbs - I weigh in almost everyday, so I almost fainted when I got on the scale, had to do it three times and called in DH to make sure I was seeing correctly. But this took me almost 2.5 months. Before that it was 6 lbs overnight, that took about 3 months.

I have realized that calories/portion control do count for me, and I cannot eat unlimited amounts of cheesse and nuts. And it's a good thing I can't get my hands on low carb ice cream anymore!!

I do work out 5 X week, and have noticed everytime I up the weights, a losing woosh ensues, but I don't do this very often. I'm sure my old buddy HardAche could explain what's up with this!!

Anyway, best wishes, hang in there, may all of your wooshes come true.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 09:43

BF:

Hi MNLisa! Glad you came to join us! Yes, I do recognize your name from other places I lurk in! It's great that you are able to see a pattern to your weight loss. That must really help you stay on track if you know that whoosh will be coming if you just persevere!
Quote:
I do work out 5 X week, and have noticed everytime I up the weights, a losing woosh ensues, but I don't do this very often. I'm sure my old buddy HardAche could explain what's up with this!!
I did read an explanation for this and here's the very simplified version. When you do weights you tear the muscle. In order to repair itself, the muscle fills with water, which might cause a slight gain soon after the workout. When the muscle has finished repairing itself, it releases the water and you get a loss in weight. That is why it's important not to work the same muscle group 2 days in a row! It needs time to repair and release the water. Hope that helps somewhat!
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 20:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi Everyone. I have been on Atkins for over 4 years. I never went off plan. I just luv the food too much. Actually, this lifestyle has been "beddy beddy good to me." Except for the slow loss. I suddenly had a gain that has been very difficult to revers but I have tried 3 things that are working in my favor.

Thing #1. I am perimenopausal so that is contributing to my sudden gain. So my acceptance of this prevents me from panicking.

Thing#2. Coconut oil appears to be giving my metabolism a kick. I try take atleast 3 tablespoons a day and I lost about 8 lbs while on it so far,plus
Thing #3. I discovered intermittent fasting. There are various ways to do this but what works most comfortable for me is fasting from 7:00 PM to 10:00 AM. That is 14 hours and most of those hours are spent sleeping. It is a lot easier to fast, if you can sleep through it . Then, when it is time for my feeding period, between 10:00 AM and 7:00 PM, I eat all the low carb food that I want. So I end up eating brunch and supper. If I get hungry in between then it is okay to snack. I end up eating far less often but it seems like I am eating more food. I just began last week and I am down 2 more lbs. According to the article I read by Dr. Eades this is a healthy way to eat. As a matter of fact, it was normal for many of our ancestors to eat once a day. This seems to also lessen the risk of contracting diabetes. I am more alert today than I was a week ago. Now my body has seemed to be so spastic this past couple of years so I hate to cheer this on without knowing how my body reacts in the long run. But I did want to share this information with you. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Mary
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 23:05

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 235/217.5/180 Female 65
BF:I/can't/say
Progress: 32%

After reading the post here. I realized that my slow weight loss has a name I am definitely a TURTLE; I'm in. I currently weigh 235 pounds, I continue to lose the same 15 pounds then I gained them back. I give up because it seems like I'm stuck so I start back with my old eating habits.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 23:59
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
Kisal...I don't know if you've ever seen this website or if it will help you, but check it out if you'd like to see about calories. http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/calories-goal.php It has me eating 1450 calories to lose about 1.5 pounds a week. I was trying to eat lower than that and perhaps that wasn't the way to go because like you, I was always hungry and then that usually spelled disaster for me.
Julie, that calculator tells me to eat no more than 1200 calories/day, which is exactly what my doctors told me. I really tried hard to do it, but as you know, I failed utterly because I was so hungry that my stomach hurt all the time! The pain was so awful that the only way I can describe it is to relate it to what it might feel like to swallow Drano, or some equally caustic substance. I'm talking major pain here, not just a few ordinary hunger pangs!

Anyway, 1400 cal/day seems to make all the difference in the world for me. I have no pain at all anymore. Unfortunately, it may also mean I won't lose any more weight, but y'know, I'm actually willing to pay that price if it means I don't have to suffer that horrible pain anymore! All I can do is wait and see, I guess.

ETA: I want to extend a very warm welcome to the new members of our cozy little Turtle Pond. I'm sure the other Turtles agree that we're glad to have you join us.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 07:02

BF:

Gm Pond Pals and Welcome Black and Exotic!

Black...l think it's great when we can find things that work for us. It's all an experiment some days, isn't it. Thanks for sharing those strategies that worked for you. It helps to see what kind of things other people are doing. We might get some ideas to try ourselves!

Exotic- I know the frustration of losing and gaining the same few pounds. I hope you're able to pick up a few tips here to motivate you and get you going in the right direction!

Kisal...I agree that's no fun to be hungry all the time and if you find a calorie level that works for you, then go for it. I'm not sure how accurate those calculators are. I keep thinking....how can I lose on 1450 calories if I couldn't at 1200? But I'm willing to give it a try, so we'll see how it goes!

Everyone else...hope you all had a great week-end. Let's get this week off to a good, postive start!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 09:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 217/186/135 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress:

Hey yall I feel the pain myself.I started this in oct been low carbing off and on for about 5 years.Started in oct at 217 down to 183,I say 183 it goes up in down to 185.I am just sick of this crap.So I am resorting to medifast for a couple of weeks to see what happens.I did medifast once before and lost 7 lb in 2 weeks so I am going to try it once again and hope for the best.I want to meet my goal of 150 by June 21.Something has to give!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 12:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20
Progress: 62%

I'm afraid I have become a turtle too.

I have lost and gained and lost and gained for over a year now without losing below 133 despite my best efforts.

I have been completely cheat free for 11 days now.

I'm at 139.6 this morning.

I would love to get below 130 by mid summer, but would be content to be there at summer's end.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 12:41

BF:

Welcome ttc#2 - sorry to hear you are a turtle but you are totally welcome in our pond.

I'd like to see 130 something some day..... 141 right now.

Julie
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 15:49

BF:

<temporary thread jack>

Charran, I see you are in Canada - where? I'm in Victoria.

Julie

<end of thread jack>