Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 17:47
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi, everyone! A discouraging day for me today, but like so many of us, I LC because of health issues, so there is no other option but to plug on ahead. My turtle seems to have become disoriented while I slept last night, and backed up instead of trudging forward. I seem to have "absorbed" an additional 3 pounds from somewhere.

I don't know what to do. Like the rest of you, I've tried everything. I'm growing weary of even thinking about it.

Although I forgot to test myself this morning, I'm not sure I'm even in ketosis anymore. I'll test later, and if I'm not in ketosis, I might do 3 days on the Modified Fat Fast. If that doesn't put me back in ketosis, I might try 3 days on the Fat Fast, although it's so extreme that I really hate the idea of it. I'll have to give it serious thought before I do it.

I'm going to start visiting those of you who have journals, just as a way to say "hi" now and then and keep in touch. I'll keep track of our little "pond" every day, too, and do my best to help keep it active. We gotta stick together! I'm sorry that you are all having difficulty losing, but I'm happy that we're found each other! It's very nice to have the company of others who really do understand.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 18:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Sorry you are having a discouraging day Kisal.... Us turtles gotta stick together.

Maybe if we wish really hard the Whoosh Fairy might visit all of us....

Julie

Last edited by Mousesmom : Sun, Apr-01-07 at 18:44. Reason: typing error as usual!!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 09:27

Stats: 205/205/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello, Turtles.

Sticking with my low carb diet but probably taking in more calories than I should.

Exercising every day but some days only for fifteen minutes.

Where is my enthusiasm?

I will not self-sabotage because I am not dieting to the extreme or exercising to the high level actually necessary.

In the past because I could not meet these high standards I would just quit.

Not this time. Even hitting medium standards is okay.

I never really appreciated that dieting for me often times just meant NOT gaining weight and that is itself an accomplishment.

I pray for strength and appreciate the encouragement.

I am trying, really trying. Hope you are as well. That is really all we can do!

Good wishes and encouragement.

Lee

Last edited by leeanderse : Mon, Apr-02-07 at 09:41.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 14:39

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Juile- You are very right to take heed with the medical issues that are present in your family. Not many people pay attention to those kinds of things always thinking that nothing like that will ever happen to them.

Kisal- Sorry you had a discouraging day. I've had that happen several times myself for no really good reason. I've gotten to the point where I just go...OH WELL and carry on. I'm not too sure about that whole ketosis thing myself. I went to get my test results from my doctor and he informs me that I had ketones present. Big deal, they're there, but I'm still not losing...so HMMMM! Don't know what to make of that whole thing! You mentioned that you LC for health reasons...can I ask...are you diabetic?

Lee- Just keep sticking to it. That's all we can do. Eventually something has to happen..doesn't it? I know it's hard to keep the enthusiasm up. I struggle with that myself on a daily basis it seems. I'm trying to focus more on health right now rather than weight to keep me going!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 15:43

BF:

It really is nice to have a new turtle thread going to chat with like minded people!!!

We're all gonna get there - it just takes a little longer. We'll appreciat it more when we get there, right? <wink>

I gave up on ketostix a long time ago because I never registered on them - even when I was losing.

I'm working on motivation right now. Working on getting more exercise, in fact, I mowed my lawn yesterday with a push mower. I also moved up a level in my 8 minutes in the morning abs book (owie!!!)

I used to think "one # at a time", now I'd settle for "1 oz at a time" as long as it was in the right direction.

All the best, Julie
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 15:57

BF:

Oh man Julie...you have grass to mow???? I'm your neighbour over in the next province and we have SNOW!!!! I guess I could get some exercise and shovel! Blah!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 16:42

BF:

Sorry Char, was complaining rather than bragging.... LOL

We get about 5 minutes of snow every year. That's why I love it here!

Shovelling snow is exercise too.... go burn those calories!

Julie
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 19:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 241/159/145 Female 66 inches
BF:?
Progress: 85%

Hi, everyone - another turtle here. I started lc in 2001, lost a few pounds, then lost and gained the same couple of pounds over and over for weeks. Went nuts on the exercise - cardio and weights a couple hours a day, at least, every day, and managed to lose a few more in the next few months but I never made it to onederland. An injury that prevented exercise resulted in regaining everything. I tried South Beach, GI, and WW. Finally came back to Atkins. Again, initial loss of a few pounds. But, the biggest problem I have is that with carbs I'm bloated and very gassy. With lc, no matter how much veggies and added fiber, including flax and other fibers, I have a terrible constipation problem. I really can't find a happy medium. In desperation this time, I took some laxatives which caused me to get very sick for two days and I couldn't eat - only drank water and some clear broth. Started back eating today, but I know I'm going to keep having the same problem. I end up binging on carbs after a few weeks because I know it will relieve the 'problem'. And, no matter what I do, the weight just doesn't go down. I feel much better on lc until I run into the constipation problem, my jeans are so loose that I can pull them off without unbuttoning them when they were tight a few weeks ago, but the scales just don't move down. And I just am at a loss as to what to do.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 08:19

BF:

Carmen - lots of ppl have this problem and there's a variety of solutions out there including using magnesium (not sure how much, but a forum search will help you!).

I'm sure there is a solution that will work for you!

All the best, Julie
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 21:59
Never Give Up!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen51
With lc, no matter how much veggies and added fiber, including flax and other fibers, I have a terrible constipation problem.
With things such as flax and psylium husks, you must drink a lot of water every day, even more than you normally drink!

They work by absorbing a lot of water as they pass through your intestines with the stool, making the stool bulkier and keeping it soft. If there isn't sufficient water, though, they will cause the stool to turn rock hard -- quite literally! This is made even worse if your body isn't fully hydrated and is trying to hold onto all the water it can.

On the package of ground psylium husks that I had, the directions stated quite clearly to use a dose of 1 teaspoonful mixed with 8 ounces of water, and to follow it up immediately with a second 8-ounce glass of water.

I'm sorry I can't give you the brand name. I sent the stuff back to the store, because it also said it had to be taken 2 hours before any medications. Since I take meds 5 times a day, I decided it was too complicated to bother with. I intend to make some flax muffins and have one in the morning with my first cup of coffee. I drink 4 cups of coffee in the morning, so that should be plenty of liquid to keep the flax from becoming hard.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 07:43

BF:

Well, I"m working myself up to be totally motivated again and to give this thing another big push towards weight loss. My week-end is going to be very harried with Easter and all the activities and outings planned, so yes, I'm using this as an excuse to start on Monday! It's not like my eating is out of control now. I'm still staying fairly low carb, probably a Phase 3 SB, but it's maintaining my weight, so that's ok. It's weird though, when I was actively trying to lose weight, I was eating like about 1300-1400 calories and not losing...now I'm eating probably around 2000 and not losing! What gives? Anyone else have this happen? It's making me wonder what I DO have to eat in order to lose I also haven't been exercising regularily either. I used to be on the treadmill daily. For the last 2 weeks, my exercise has basically been spring cleaning the house. I'm at a loss here!

Hope you all are having a good week!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 09:44

BF:

Happy Good Friday turtles!

Thought I would post an update here..... Amazingly enough, after 10 days of tracking everything I am at 144 again. Hoping the Easter Bunny brings me a new lower number on Sunday.

Darn it anyway, I have to count cals and carbs in order to lose!!!! I also had to pretty much drop dairy which is too bad as it is my favourite thing.....

Don't lose hope turtles!!!

Julie
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-07, 00:49
Never Give Up!

BF:

Hello, everyone! Just thought I'd drop in and wish you all a Happy Easter! I finally finished my taxes yesterday, and at last, I feel like I can breathe again!

I'm just going to take it easy over the weekend, maybe watch a DVD or two. I just want to do something totally mindless!

TTYL!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 16:34

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've been stalled, on and off, for three years. Nothing seems to help with ONE exception - an increase in exercise. When I travel, I tend to walk more and eat less. But when I'm home, I can't maintain the same level of exercise unless I want to literally walk everywhere. I walk as much as I can and then WHAMMO! allergy season hit last fall. I gained 15 pounds between early October and late December and I only budged 4 pounds of it back off again. I love to walk and I joined Curves so I could get exercise which I do three times a week. Even then, it's not enough. I'm afraid of overdoing it though. With my knees, it would not be a good idea.

I've also just tried to cut back on the consumption. I feel "lighter" for it even if it hasn't shown up on the scale. Cut back on everything in general and up the water...I've gone back to 2 diet sodas a day. Still, nothing. I'm going to work in Alaska for five weeks this summer, followed by three weeks at the Cuyahoga Valley Nat'l Rec Area near my house. I should drop a lot of weight, if only because of all the walking (especially in Sitka because I won't have a car but I want to rehab a folding bike and carry it with me) and the occasional visit to Curves (there's one listed for Sitka). But I hope to not psyche myself out and gain when I get back. I have one more big trip in the fall and the schedule will be grueling. I know I will lose weight - I just don't want to gain it back.

I don't like going so slow. I want to ditch my entire wardrobe and go shopping. My goal is size 12 - good on my frame and easy to maintain. If I get there, I can do it. I also have a change in schedule that may help - my daughter will be in full-day kindergarten and I will be a stay-at-home mom for the first time. I'm working on my PhD so it consumes 3 - 4 hours of every day. If I can refocus away from food, I might be able to break through this plateau. I don't want to get lazy again about food - I've journaled for a few days this week and feel better about it. Tracking it helps.

Sheesh!! We are all so committed to this WOL - there has to come a time when we will plateau as our bodies get used to the changes. But there also comes a time when the plateau seems to stretch to the horizon...UGH...Cheers!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-07, 08:41

BF:

Hey How are all the Pond Pals today? and UM...WHERE are all the Pond Pals?

I've kind of been MIA from this thread myself, but as someone said, as a Turtle, there often isn't much to report! I had a couple of bad weeks eating and exercise wise, but this week, I've been back to it. I've almost lost what I gained during that time and I'm back to exercising! Why is it so easy to gain, but then so hard to lose? I can gain 5 pounds in a couple of days...why can't I lose that much?

How is everyone else doing this week? Cartersg1..welcome...I hope you're still around!