Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 06:58
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default no poo tips from another board

Found these tips/ideas at mothering.com:

My fave, and one I'm going to try:
A No Poo Recipe
I just wanted to share this since its working great for me.
I make no-poo balls, its a lot easier than mixing everything together in the shower.
I just mix together BS, water, honey, and EO's roll it into about 1/2"- 1" balls and let them dry for a few days. I keep a dish of them on my bathroom counter and just bring one into the shower, cup it in my hand, let some water mist over it and work it into my hair.

Others:
*an egg works great. Scramble it, and keep it at room temp, though, to avoid a nasty chill!
*a paste with bs, hot water, and tto and apply it to my scalp....let sit for a couple of minutes....wash out and spray with 3:1 water/acv leave in....comb with a wide tooth comb....apply jojoba oil to my hair except the scalp. Through out the week I will comb ro and more jojoba in my hair....I basically only bush (boar hair) my hair at night when I'm bathing the kids in the bathroom
*beer as a conditioner
*rosemary eo = rosemary essential oil
I used about 5 drops of oil in 24 oz of water, it's lasted three rinses. You could also just boil some fresh rosemary in water, let it cool down, and strain out the refuse.
*dark hair rinsed with malt vinegar
*a rosemary and mint infusion might suit you (especially lovely if your hair is dark) or lemon juice (use like vinegar - say 1-2 tbsp in a couple litres warm water) or pineapple juice (used straight out the carton - make sure it is sugar-free though eh??!!).
*some lemon EO directly on the ends of my hair after a shower to keep down the dry ends and to avoid getting static.
*soapwort-grab a couple of handfuls of it - stem, leaf and flowers if it is in flower. Cut or tear it up into pieces about 1/2 inch long; and put it in a pan with enough water to cover. bring to the boil and simmer for ten to twenty minutes, cool and strain.
Then, you can use it as it is (no good unless you have short hair really), or you can thicken it in some way - last time we used it, I think we added arrowroot, (I'll check with dh when he surfaces; on second thoughts it might have been agar) much like we were making a sauce from it. Also, we got hold of one of those cappucino makers - a glass jar with a plunger in it - a bit like you get in a caffitiere and we aggitated the mix - it was amazing to see the suds we ended up with. We also like to add a handful of mint to the decoction - soapwort smells a bit like old cabbage when it is boiling! and just be aware that I believe the root is poisonous
*for static, i have always used aluminum combs
*give it a rinse with diluted red-wine vinegar.
*about 5 drops of rosemary eo in 24 oz of hot water

*I actually put corn starch on my roots then massaged/brushed it out
*I use a lavendar mist -- a few drops of lavendar EO in water in a spray bottle. The water should be either boiled and cooled or from an RO unit so it doesn't get skanky after a few days in the bottle. I use it to dampen my hair, then sometimes use a little aloe vera gel to smooth any flyaways.
*A friend told me to rub honey into my scalp at the beginning of a shower and rinse out at the end to help with dandruff dry scalp issues.
*On my rosemary EO bottle there is a recipe for "nurturing hair oil" 5 drops rosemary, 2 drops lavender and tbsp jojoba oil. You could take that and dilute it with water to use as a rinse, I would guess. Might try it myself
*It was an equal portion of rosemary, southernwood & burdock root solarised in olive oil. Altho' I reckon vodka or vinegar would be just as good & be heaps easier to get out without poo.
*I used a little almond oil on the ends and it seems to have helped a bit
*The conditioning mixture I used was a mixture of 2 whole eggs and 4 TBS olive oil. You wrap your hair in plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 16:17

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I've been using baking soda with a touch of molasses or honey and then rising with watered apple cider vinegar for about a year now. My hair is perfect with it - dandruff, grease and split ends - GONE.

I also use a lot of the products at Oyin; I love the honey wash and funk butter.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 16:44
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I just use soap. I use it every day, no problems with drying or oiliness. The thing I like about it the most is that it's the only product we have in the shower. A bar of soap and a brush. That's it! Not having a clutter of products helps to keep it cleaner too.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 17:00
Dazilous

BF:

LOL...funk butter! Best name ever! So does it work well? I am toying with giving up regular deoderant. Someone mentioned Milk of Magnesia works well, but I keep forgetting to pick some up. I want to do an experiment: one pit gets my usual stuff, the other pit gets MoM (or alternative deoderant of the moment).

Anyone ever try one of those deoderant rocks?

My hair has stopped getting greasy at all. I'm liking it. I find the ACV irritates my skin though...it drips down my back and I get itchy bumps. I've put it in a spray bottle now. Doesn't bother my scalp at all - just the rest of my skin!

Oh, and my teeth! The clay mixed with my paste is awesome. My gums haven't bled at all since I started with it.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 18:18
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
I am toying with giving up regular deoderant. Someone mentioned Milk of Magnesia works well, but I keep forgetting to pick some up. I want to do an experiment: one pit gets my usual stuff, the other pit gets MoM (or alternative deoderant of the moment).
I haven't used regular deodorant in about a year, and it's not 'cos I have no BO (trust me, if a deodorant works on me, it'll work for anyone). I've been alternating between using generic zinc oxide ointment 20% usp which is good for about 4 days between applications and a zinc oxide based diaper rash ointment which is 40% zinc oxide. The latter works a day or so longer but it also contains fish oil which is kinda stinky so I only use it on days when I don't have meetings (or choir practice).

I recently tried the Milk of Magnesia (original flavor) when my last zinc oxide application expired, and even though it seemed quite thin going on it worked well for the day. It's not good for more than one day though.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 20:14

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Anyone ever try one of those deoderant rocks?

Yep! I love mine. It takes a few days of application to work. It works by depositing minerals that inhibit the bacteria that cause BO. I'll use it 2-3 evenings after my shower, then ignore it completely for 1-2 weeks, then notice I need it again. I like it much better than I ever did regular deodorant. No film or build up, and I think it helps keep the bumps down after shaving. I also use it under my bra line and it works great there too.

I don't have a terribly strong body odor to begin with. I don't know if that makes a difference.

My only complaint? DON'T drop it on the bathroom counter. It partially shattered, and now there are too many sharp spots on too small a rock. I'm going to need a new one. Still, it wasn't any more expensive than regular deoderant and I've been using the same rock for a year now.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 20:36

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Interesting thread! Something i didn't see mentioned, and if you guys don't know about it- is apple cider vinegar as a facial toner. It makes acne go away, makes your skin lovelyyyyy! I use it whenever my face looks dull or for the random acne. I use a ratio of 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water, but you can do it however you want. It's a bit strong on its own, though. Use organic apple cider vinegar, of course.
Another miracle (IMO!) product that has done wonders for my face is rosehip oil. I have never had bad skin, but i swear that oil makes it luminous!!!
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 21:07
Dazilous

BF:

I started a BO experiment. My right pit is getting regular deoderant, my left is getting MoM and a little dusting of baking soda. It's been three days and so far, both pits are lovely. Even after the gym! I am impressed with the MoM.

Zinc oxide - where would I find that in the drugstore? Is it a cream? Does it go on white? I'd love something that lasted a few days. The rock sounds ideal. I'll try all and see what works best with my body.

I made shampoo balls with baking soda, honey, patchouli and rosemary oil. Very handy, and they scent the bathroom. I used one in combination with a teensy bit of shampoo, bc I've used hairspray and thought I might need a boost to get the buildup off.

Rosehip oil - where do you find that? I've been wondering about mixing my coconut oil with other oils for my face/body. Some essential oils, perhaps, and other oils like emu or almond.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 22:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It's always stress that makes me stink. Just wait until those stress hormones act up then check 'em!
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 08:43

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've been using the deodorant rocks for about 10 years now and have never had a complaint. The good thing about it is that if you DO start to smell, you're the first to notice, as there is no masking perfume associated with it. Also, the cost is next to nothing - one rock last me about a year. I cannot use anything else, as I'm physically made ill and perterbed by everything else I've tried.

I have GOT to try that funk butter.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 175/000/135 Female 178cm
BF:
Progress: 438%

I love this thread!

My contribution: I have very sensitive, baby like skin. It's beautiful, but gets dry quickly and feels tense. I've tried different moisturizers or Weleda organic creams. I found they were all so so..

What I've found recently is LARD!!! OMG what this does to my skin is unbelievable! I love the feeling of applying it at night, very silky. There's no greasy feel in the morning and I have the loveliest skin, even got compliments. I'm honestly addicted and feel like at least 5 yrs younger.

Ok, the commercial is over
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-07, 19:17
Dazilous

BF:

LOL - I'll keep that in mind, Nancy! Stress-stink.

I think my BF would leave me if I started using lard (although my soap has lard in it, and OMG I love the stuff!). He suffers enough mental distress from my experiments and eating habits as it is. This is a guy who LOVES the smell of bleach and thinks that products not containing a long list of chemicals are ineffective and wussy. Of course, he also refuses to eat food that his hand has touched, so he'll eat a burger and then chuck the bit he was holding. I point out that he will put his fingers in his mouth to obsessively pick at his teeth, but apparently this is different somehow. He's a little odd!
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 05:24
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 175/000/135 Female 178cm
BF:
Progress: 438%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
I think my BF would leave me if I started using lard (although my soap has lard in it, and OMG I love the stuff!). He suffers enough mental distress from my experiments and eating habits as it is. This is a guy who LOVES the smell of bleach and thinks that products not containing a long list of chemicals are ineffective and wussy. Of course, he also refuses to eat food that his hand has touched, so he'll eat a burger and then chuck the bit he was holding. I point out that he will put his fingers in his mouth to obsessively pick at his teeth, but apparently this is different somehow. He's a little odd!

LOL, I know what you mean! I also don't go telling a lot of people what my new fave treatment is..

About the smell though, I've noticed that it depends very much on the quality of the lard. Cheap supermarket stuff has a distinct porky pig sty smell, not nice. However, if you can get your hands on organic stuff, or make it yourself, it's a different story. It smells almost neutral, with a caramelly hint. Just lovely. You can always fill some organic lard in your L'Oreal tub and your bf will never know
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 18:39
Dazilous

BF:

LOL...not a bad idea! I can get organic stuff. Wonder how it would be mixed in with my coconut oil?

I went hunting for a deoderant rock...can't find one. I settled on a stick deoderant that is made with the same thing, but has other crap in it. So far it works pretty well, though it feels gross on bc it's sticky. Blech. Patted some baking soda overtop, and it held up at the gym today. I want the actual rock thing though. I shall have to scour the HFS's in the city. My poor BF is getting tired of me demanding he smell my pits, though he plays along.

Ooooh...I may henna my hair! Fun! I've ordered a small sample so I can do a test henna on hair I've harvested from my brush My hair used to be quite red but has darkened a lot.(darker since no-poo...I was actually using a shampoo with henna in it, how much I don't know) It still has red highlights but I'd love to play them up more for the spring/summer. The sample is from a place online that sells...ummm, mehindi quality henna? The kind they use for skin art. Apparently, the kits in many HFS's are crap. I'm doing a test bc I don't want my hair to turn a clownish shade. Anyone ever henna?

And in a neolithic fit, I had a lovely pedicure this weekend hee hee
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 18:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had neolith-chic moment and colored my hair! Yay! No more grey.