Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/220/180 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Nope, it's new to me! Very interesting. Of course right now I wouldn't go there, but it's something I'll consider in the future. Have you tried them yet?

P.S. I'm off to shoot a wedding in an hour, and then one tomorrow, so I might not answer again until Monday.

No, I haven't. At the risk of sounding dumb, I was wondering if these extracts were meant to be taken as packaged or used to make tea. I drink tea during the day and it might make sense for me to use these extracts.

I've been to weddings where I felt like shooting someone, but I think you have something else in mind.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 12:03

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've not tried the green tea extracts, either. I believe they are to be added to bottled water, but I could be wrong.

Good one, NothingNew, about going to weddings and wanting to shoot someone!

And no, I don't know what the big news is. I'll go back and look. I'm only up to March 2006 in reading his blog.

Wait, he might have been referring to the coupld of studies that came out around that time that showed a low-carb diet beats a low-fat diet hands down. Here, try this link, and read from there: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=207
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/220/180 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I've not tried the green tea extracts, either. I believe they are to be added to bottled water, but I could be wrong.

Good one, NothingNew, about going to weddings and wanting to shoot someone!

And no, I don't know what the big news is. I'll go back and look. I'm only up to March 2006 in reading his blog.

Wait, he might have been referring to the coupld of studies that came out around that time that showed a low-carb diet beats a low-fat diet hands down. Here, try this link, and read from there: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=207

Thanks for the link; his blogs seem to always be very informative.

Weddings should be fun and all that but they're usually stressful and have evil relatives drinking way too much....

Maybe someone else has tried these tea extracts.....
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 00:02
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I love how I helped change this into a wedding thread! ROFL It's way too late and I just got home...but the day was amazing and our photography was just in the zone. Finally a wedding where I only wanted to shoot photos...not people. hee heeAwesome!

So anyhow, I'm figuring that the extracts would work nicely in any compatible beverage, mostly likely water.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 03:45

BF:

OK, Lisa. I'm taking back the reins on the thread and getting back to Dr. Mike again. This time not for his views on fiber, but on something very interesting I just read.

Here's the link: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=239

The gist of the article is:
Quote:
A paper in this week’s JAMA presents data confirming what I’ve long suspected: carb bingeing now and then could actually cause worse free radical damage than regularly eating more carbs on an ongoing basis.

Here's another quote from the end:
Quote:
Once people become low-carb adapted–as I hope we all are–then the same thing happens if they go face down in the donuts. They don’t have the enzymes on board to deal with the sudden influx of glucose, and, as a consequence, their blood sugar spikes higher than it would on a person eating the same amount of carbohydrate who is already carb adapted.

Now read that again, carefully. Do you think this could be why it seems to become harder to lose the second, third, fourth time around?

We all have had the experience (or is it just me?) where you struggle to lose a pound or two, and then have one seemingly minor indiscretion, and BAM! you're up 5 pounds again.

That noise you hear? It's just the wheels in my head starting to turn. They're quite rusty, having not been used for a while.

Hmmmm. I'm going to post this on the general board and see what people think.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 17:51

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Bawdy,

I hope that you keep posting here. Then maybe some of the old regulars that seem to have disappeared will join in also.

I think you may be on to something when you said,
Quote:
and then have one seemingly minor indiscretion, and BAM! you're up 5 pounds again.
Read this, a talk by Dr. Ron Rosedale. (Warning it is long, but well worth the reading!) Excess insulin is caused by blood sugar spikes as Dr. Mike says and Dr. Rosedale then tells you why high insulin is BAD!

Perhaps some people that were insulin resistant, found low carbing, regained (some) their insulin sensitivity, and then have an off plan episode, loose their sensitivity much quicker than others. It may also take longer to regain the sensitivity, all of which would seem to contribute to weight gain.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-07, 21:41
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Bawdy. For me this is another great example of how PP has helped me approach LCing differently. This gives me the WHY I can't just indiscriminately have a carb-fest and feel (as I am shamed to admit I have) that I can recover readily from it because I'd been so healthy all along, ya know?
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 04:12

BF:

Hey, Larry! Yeah, I've been pretty quiet lately. Guess I felt I didn't have anything to add. Since reading virtually all of Dr. Mike's blog articles from the beginning, though, the wheels are again churning. (Too bad that doesn't count for exercises!)

Although I've stuck to low-carbing (with a few indiscretions here and there) since 1998 -- and fully consider myself a low-carber for the long haul -- it's good to sometimes immerse yourself in the reading and the studies again. I just have a lot of respect for the Eades, especially Dr. Mike. I sure wish Dr. Mary Dan would start writing about more than recipes ... like, maybe, women's issues? Now THAT would be interesting!

As I read through the blog, how about I post interesting articles for general discussion? Get the ball rolling again, ya know?
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 08:27

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Hey, Larry! Yeah, I've been pretty quiet lately. Guess I felt I didn't have anything to add. Since reading virtually all of Dr. Mike's blog articles from the beginning, though, the wheels are again churning. (Too bad that doesn't count for exercises!)
<clip>
As I read through the blog, how about I post interesting articles for general discussion? Get the ball rolling again, ya know?

I like that idea a LOT! May I make a suggestion? Why not start a new thread for the various subjects that Dr. Mike has blogged about. I have started my own “list” of noteworthy blogs so will do a new thread with the ones on “Credibility lacking in the scientific literature” and you, and others, can add any that fit the category. I could see threads on categories like the need for glucose, fat/oil, the AMA, for example.

The idea would be to post links to blogs that have similar subjects, sort of an index of sorts. Then if there are specific sections/statements that someone wants to “chew over” in a discussion, they could use them in a reply.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 08:06

Plan: CKD/Carb Cycling
Stats: 240/231/220 Male 5'7"
BF:19.7%/15.3%/10%
Progress: 45%

Being new to LowCarber, I will likely be chiming in late on some threads as I discover them. This one is still relatively fresh

Now, I have not read PP, but this thread caught my eye with the reference to fiber. I have NEVER felt good eating a lot of fiber, and quite frankly do better on 10-12 grams per day. As far as the "regularity" goes, no problem on this relatively low intake. If anything my supplementing with magnesium citrate keeps the bowels functioning properly. . Now, I am very careful as to how much I use, you do not need a lot, but in addition to it's assisting in proper bowel functioning, it is just a magnificent mineral overall for your health.

OK, back to fiber. The following book is a real eye opener. I just read it. Now, the author does not say a whole lot of flattering things about Atkins or South Beach, but that does not matter. You can ignore some of the dietary stuff (some of his numbers do not make any sense)and just get the gist of the book. The bottom line, fiber is not the panacea it has been made out to be for so long.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiber-Menace-...83211818&sr=1-1
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 08:27

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayGuy
Being new to LowCarber, I will likely be chiming in late on some threads as I discover them. This one is still relatively fresh

Now, I have not read PP, but this thread caught my eye with the reference to fiber. I have NEVER felt good eating a lot of fiber, and quite frankly do better on 10-12 grams per day. As far as the "regularity" goes, no problem on this relatively low intake. If anything my supplementing with magnesium citrate keeps the bowels functioning properly. . Now, I am very careful as to how much I use, you do not need a lot, but in addition to it's assisting in proper bowel functioning, it is just a magnificent mineral overall for your health.

OK, back to fiber. The following book is a real eye opener. I just read it. Now, the author does not say a whole lot of flattering things about Atkins or South Beach, but that does not matter. You can ignore some of the dietary stuff (some of his numbers do not make any sense)and just get the gist of the book. The bottom line, fiber is not the panacea it has been made out to be for so long.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiber-Menace-...83211818&sr=1-1

If I remember correctly Mike reviewed the book on his blog and pretty much agreed with you.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 08:53

BF:

FenwayGuy, just jump into threads with both feet. Doesn't even matter if it's an older thread. Sometimes those need resurrecting!

I, too, do better with less fiber and fewer veggies. If I eat 30 grams of veggie fiber I get horrendously constipated. If I drop it down to 15 or less, I'm fine. Don't need to go every day, but that's ok, too.

Welcome!
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 08:54

OK, Mandalay. Thanks for that.

This whole forum is quite overwhelming. I will find everything eventually!!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 09:04

Quote:
FenwayGuy, just jump into threads with both feet. Doesn't even matter if it's an older thread. Sometimes those need resurrecting!

I, too, do better with less fiber and fewer veggies. If I eat 30 grams of veggie fiber I get horrendously constipated. If I drop it down to 15 or less, I'm fine. Don't need to go every day, but that's ok, too.

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome BawdyWench . BTW, I love your Username. Your avatar tells me that you are one fun person to be around!

Mr. Monastryrsky, author of "Fiber Menace" would concur with you. If you are not "going" everyday, so what. He would see it as proof that you are digesting everything completely. Protein and fat being reduced to, in effect, nothing. It has nowhere to go, literally. On the other hand, the very definiton of fiber is that it is "undigestable carbohydrate". Let's think about that. The end product has passed through your entire system without being digested properly.

And yes, BawdyWench, I have done the same as you in the past. Started to go crazy on broccoli and bran muffins (the bad high carb, low fat days!), and felt terrible. The C word reared it's ugly head at that point.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-07, 09:08

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayGuy
OK, Mandalay. Thanks for that.

This whole forum is quite overwhelming. I will find everything eventually!!

Oh, yes, this forum is most definitely fun to poke around in!