Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 16:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Picaboo, you wondered jokingly whether or not you might need psychology but maybe it would be helpful for you to gain some insight into why you eat in a way that hurts you even when you know that it's hurting you?
Think about it: you know that your choices of food/drinks can either keep your blood sugar controlled or lead you to needing insulin (which it seems you clearly don't want) but yet you choose foods that are going to lead you in the direction that you don't want? Why?
We all make choices sometimes that aren't the best even when we know they aren't the best, but when those kinds of choices become a pattern it starts becoming self-destructive behavior instead of an occasional slip.
When someone starts heading down the path of self-destructive behavior, it would be wise to stop and think about what is driving that behavior and sometimes we need a third party to help us with that (like a good counselor).
At the end of the day, Picaboo, you are the one who has to make the choices minute by minute and day by day...we can't make them for you.
We can all offer advice and strategies and cheer you when you succeed but the mind that makes the choices and the hand that feeds you is yours.

Last edited by Lisa N : Tue, Feb-13-07 at 17:55.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 17:41

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

....Dear Dear Dina...lol....

"Hope you Dr. can find a solution for you. "

surprise!
He sound ((just)) like you !!!.....he he he......really!!! really!!! :
"Seriously, you either need to control yourself, or start using med or insulin..." said he cannot give me insulin yet ...(wonder why)....

SO,
........I'm not med free anymore!!!

At noon time went and bought this thingy "Meta-whats the name" 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening and will see how that will work.
Already took with lunch and I will take one before dinner. I will check to see if this "the miracle pill" for me (wish)
I so much hope I will be consinstance on taking this pill. already my mind working so hard thinking that maybe I can do better without it(hate my mind).........I want to give this a chance.

Or maybe I need to push toward insulin, a nature stuff. compare to those chemical I'm going to poison myself with (?) no chemical is a good chemical and no one tells us the side affects for long long long time taking/using those med......just a thought.....
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 18:25

BF:

.......Thanks, Thanks Dear Lisa,

I know you are SO right and thank you SO much for that !...:-)

Think, I did not "mature" enough about*me*having Diabetes.
(legally):-)

Have been trying to ignore this monster...thinking *I* can bit it...and it will go away...there is no way I'm going to have to straggle with that.
To find out only that I'm not that of a strong person as I thought I am. and to find out that its not effortlessly at all as I wanted or wish it to be......only to discover the opposite of that.

So I think, by me admitting it here and talking about it here...maybe,maybe this will help me finally to realize that YES I am a Diabetic and it will never ever will go away.

Thank you again so much.

#19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 09:11

BF:

.............well,

So not on Metformin yet..(my mind is stronger then I...bad or good will see...still think I can bit it)
Last night, before going to bed had 1/2 apple with 1TB sunflowers seeds...worked so well my BS this morning 135 and not 185 so, will check and see if it is not one time episode........?......
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 10:07

BF:

#21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by picaboo
....Dear Dear Dina...lol....

"Hope you Dr. can find a solution for you. "

surprise!
He sound ((just)) like you !!!.....he he he......really!!! really!!! :
"Seriously, you either need to control yourself, or start using med or insulin..." said he cannot give me insulin yet ...(wonder why)....

SO,
........I'm not med free anymore!!!

At noon time went and bought this thingy "Meta-whats the name" 1 in the morning, 1 in the evening and will see how that will work.
Already took with lunch and I will take one before dinner. I will check to see if this "the miracle pill" for me (wish)
I so much hope I will be consinstance on taking this pill. already my mind working so hard thinking that maybe I can do better without it(hate my mind).........I want to give this a chance.

Or maybe I need to push toward insulin, a nature stuff. compare to those chemical I'm going to poison myself with (?) no chemical is a good chemical and no one tells us the side affects for long long long time taking/using those med......just a thought.....

Dear Picaboo,
I agree with your doctor: in your case using insulin will give you "green light" to continue making poor food choices and covering your Bgs with insulin. Ultimately, it will result in weight gain and worsening of IR, not to mention that insulin is not a candy ( no pun intended) and it can give you hypos. using insulin on 6-12-12 plan is different than using insulin as an excuse to overindulge and make poor dietary choices. Additionally, higher levels of insulin linked to heart failure, cancers, and other terminal illnesses. Your dr understands your situation well, but he also has protocol when insulin is give only to those with high BG that can't be controlled with diet and exercise alone, or above in combination with Metformin and/or sulfonylureas.
http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/hw133513
Insulin is "natural" but not all insulins created equal, some work to keep your basal level and good for FBG, others- to cover for carbs in meal. It is not simple to control with insulin, and requires strict carbs counting, and not everyone has perfect Bgs with insulin either, ESPECIALLY if they eat starches and sweets. Exogenous insulin also does get absorbed and work as fast as the one your body makes, and your Bgs will be either on their way up or on a way down.
If the "meta..." thingy is metformin, then it works by making your body more sensitive to insulin and curbing "liver dump".
http://www.drugs.com/metformin.html
There is no miracle pill, ASAIK, diabetes is a very compex desease and it is totally up to you how to control it. We all have our moments of weakness, we we think "why me?" and "I am sick and tired of counting every carb and morcel of food that goes into my body" and yes, I slip too but very rare, and when I cheat, I make it least harmfull: no sweets or sugary cocktails or desserts, period. I can have 1-2 tiny fingerling potatoes (1/4 cup) parboiled and browned in lots of goose fat, or 1/2 small sweet potatoe with butter, or 1/2 cup of steel cut oatmeal, or cup of lentil soup or other bean soup, or 1/2 mango, or handfull of grapes. starchy food (only 1/2 oatmeal or 1/2 sweet potatoe or small cup of lentil soup or other bean soup, or few stone ground yellow corn chips with salsa and a small bottle dark ale, or 1 square of 75% chocolate ( I normally eat only 85%) once or twice a month. But I do eat low GI fruits regulary and fresh tomatoes, and have no problem as long as the serving is small. These are my cheats, you got the idea. But I always compensate it with exercise, to make sure I don't see high readings. I also never skip to test Bgs after a cheat, sometimes it works like a charm to avoid cheating for a long time Oh, and I cheat mostly on a very special ocations or if there is something that I only sample once, so I will take a bite, and definetely, 1-2 days before TOM, this is the only time of the months that I must have some real carbs but I always eat it with plenty of protein and fat, and exercise after.
I have used metformin, but it did not help much, just make me feel not well. Hope this med works for you, but no medications can balance poor diet choices, DIET AND EXERCISE are essential for this desease. How low with carbs can you go - it depends on your lifestyle, food choices, and remianing beta-cells of your pancrease.
I hope this helps, did not mean to lecture you, we all going through phases, myself including. This is why many diabetics just choose to eat whatever and never test, but at the end no one wants to suffer kidnney failure and dialysis, blindness, heart attack, and amputation. It is very scary and when I feel like cheating, I picture myself in one of this situations, and it is the best medicine to avoid cheating, try it, it works!!!!!
Best wishes and hope this helps.
Dina
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 18:36

BF:

Dear, Dear and really Dear Dina :-)))

....Gee...I really need some of you, in me.....lol..lol..lol....

Its so nice to know and try to understand how someone else deal with Diabetes.
I love and enjoy reading what you have to say and what you're eating make me more want to stay in track.

I think I can only eat small -tiny- portion that my BS will be in ok ranges after 2h of meal but, if I eat like "Europeans normal!! portions" then...gee, my BS jump hight like crazy 2h after about 4h after it goes around 135-125....if in between I will do light walking I can lower it even to 110-96...(but a "strong" (dont know it that's the right word here to use) workout will bring it back to high..................use to run half- marathons and marathon for 15y but my knees finally gave up on me so right now I need to give them a l.o.n.g rest....so...........

Think, NOT MUCH beta-cells left in pancreas the way I abuse it !.........Is there anyway to figure it out?

Must admit I dont know much about insulin...and wish and hope never to know.....but........as Lisa said: it's all about - me.

Well,
I could write & write about my Diabete so much...But,
...feel so bad sometimes with my English that I limit myself on what I have to say here.

Keep on telling me much more, how you're doing...It is SO good to know ...wish other people here will tell more about theirs food wisdom :-) and how they deal with situations too.

Take Care much

Last edited by picaboo : Thu, Feb-15-07 at 18:50.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 18:53

BF:

#24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by picaboo

Think, NOT MUCH beta-cells left in pancreas the way I abuse it !.........Is there anyway to figure it out?

next time you go for a regualr h1C and fasting, ask your dr to get an 8-h fasting insulin and c-peptidde blood test done as well, you will know where you are insulin wise.
I struglle too, and I also was in denials, and I went though all the phases, being Dx with T2 for me was like a lightnening: never like or ate sweets, never ate junk, and always active. But being ashkenazi jew, I think T2 diabetes runs in my genes, and is very very in our ethnic group. I have read that all ashkenazi jews can be traced to 3 female, so the gene pool is very small and hence, many genetic deseases. But I never despare, life is good and it could be something much worse than diabetes. So, chin up and take care of yourself, diabetes is nothing to be ashamed about, it is not like you have some STD, so I am noy hesitant to say: yes, I have diabetes, this is why I can't eat pizza and sandwiches when they serve food at lunch seminars, and I have an excuse to bring my own salad. I too have very selective with exercise, my joints are not getting yonger but I also never ran marathon, so I swim, run on elliptical ( easiest machine on joints) and do weight too. I enjoy whatever I can eat, and try not complain, and don't feel sorry for myself. Some of class mates and peer died already, so I am just happy to be alive and active, and enjoy every day. I hope you feel better and accept that you are and embrace your diabetes as well, just try to do your best!!!!
Best regards,
Dina
BTW English is my second language too.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 00:43

BF:

Dear Dina,
Gee...we share so many things :-)....and life is beautiful and I'm so bless...just that - kinda much - don't like this...and in need to learn to adjust to it...maybe...?....

Wish my English would be so good like yours !!!...think, not only my pancreas beta cells are damaged but very important brain's cells too......lol...lol....

Always take care much.

*...took a big note about those tests. I will defently ask for them - no one ever before offer me something of that kind...THANKS!!!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 08:37

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Picaboo- I don't know how long ago you were diagnosed with diabetes, but I do think many people go through all the stages before they arrive at acceptance of their disease. It's a grief process because you have lost something. a part of your life. I was diagnosed a long time ago and I went through everything you talk about. It took me awhile to get to the point I am now. Time is an important factor, but so is educating yourself. I read everything I could get my hands on at the beginning. I learned for myself what I have to do to take care of myself and realized that no one else was going to do it for me. Then I found a plan that I could really live with. I have tried lots and failed at them. Now I am doing a new one. I have tailored it to myself and to what I would like my BG levels to be. I eat a wide variety of things and generally don't feel deprived. Sure there are times I wish I could just dig into a box of doughnuts or eat a whole pizza, but I know this is not realistic for me. I probably eat more carbs than most people here do, but it is working for me and that is all that matters. My BG levels are perfectly normal most days, my cholestral and BP are normal also. So make sure you are testing regularily, find a plan that works for you and that you don't feel deprived on. If you feel that way, it is not going to last. And last, exercise if you aren't already. I think exercise is very important for diabetics. It really helps me control BG levels. There is no magic cure as Dina has said and ultimately it is up to us to take care of our own health. Somedays it feels very overwhelming still, but you just have to keep trying.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 17:44

BF:

.....Thanks Char so much,
You are so right about find what is good for "long..long..long run" !!!.....and I need to work on that one.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 16:21

BF:

DID YOU KNOW:
Walking DOWNHILL reduces blood sugars more then walking UPHILL: A study presented to the American Heart Association concluded downhill walking significantly improved the body's ability to process sugar in the blood, while walking uphill did not produce the same result. Dr. Heinz Drexel conducted the study with 45 sedentary but healthy people in the Austrian mountains. For two months participants hiked either uphill or downhill everyday then switched directions for the next two months.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 18:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Did they happen to give the reasoning behind that?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 11:50

BF:

....no.

I did it once for a l.o.n.g day...going downhill from a mountain...lost a few of my figures tows...(I had gym shows, needed a trial's one)...oh well.......anyway, don't think I will do that again.