Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 15:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Funny you quoted the above. I was just reading an article posing that the above problems aren't really genetic traits at all. Rather they are caused by severe vitamin D deficiency causing gene aberrations. They've found in studies that vitamin D can actually switch genes on and off and suppose that family "genes" are more related to familial vitamin D environment than heredity. Thus people with all the illnesses mentioned that you have attributed to genetics have, when tested, actually been found vitamin D deficient.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, lol!!!

That's something I worry about because I live in the frigid north. Taking D doesn't solve the deficiency as well as a daily half hour of sun. But when it's below zero I don't expose ANY part of my anatomy to the weather. A warm spell this week (high of 20 degrees) allowed me to run outside in shorts all week. It may just be in my mind, but I feel better because of it. I even got a tan on my knees. :-)
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 16:16
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

As Regina mentions, vegetarians DO develop heart disease, at almost the same rate as meat eaters, despite a usually much higher socioeconomic status, better overall lifestyle (avoidance of smoking, avoidance of refined foods, regular exercice, etc.)

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conte...62d737b2d352066

So it seems that even cardiologists can use the web to spout out half-truths.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

If you want to look at vegetarians and longevity or heart disease... you should look at SDA. Why? Because there are likely to be fewer variables involved that would otherwise increase mortality in your 'average' vegetarian.

Heres a good paper http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/70/3/532S

I believe I read in an article on SDA that the ones who STRICTLY adhere to a vegetarian diet live on average to 88 years. Far longer than the average person in the US. Although they did state that the decrease in longevity for non-vegetarians cannot be down to beef consumption alone.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Sat, Jan-27-07 at 16:31.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 16:35

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

No, *don't* look at the SDAs, for whom vegetarianism is only one of the numerous "health reforms." SDAs are also strongly urged not to smoke, to abstain from alcohol and caffeine, not to go to movies or read non-religious books, and to observe the sabbath in a very quiet manner. In short, vegetarian diet is just one facet of a radically different lifestyle from that of non-SDAs.

Both my grandparents were SDAs for 40 or so years. My grandmother was a vegetarian; my grandfather never adopted that way of eating, but did follow all the other rules. He died at 85, of emphysema originally caused by mustard gas in WWI trenches. My grandmother died at 93. Neither one had a heart attack or cancer.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 17:01
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

As Ubizmo said, SDAs can not be considered a good group to compare to the general population, as they have numerous lifestyle differences (besides vegetarianism) that sets them apart from the average citizen.

A better idea would be to compare them to another religious group with a similar lifestyle, but that does not abstain from meat.
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 17:07

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

LOL. My Irish Canadian grandfather lived to 90. He ate meat daily, smoked like a chimney and consumed an inch of refined sugar and cream on his big bowl of cream of wheat every day. He was always skinny and worked hard physically all of his life. Another factor was that his food would have been largely organic as he was a farmer of the old school.

So one of the problems with the whole business is that the research tends to smooth out individual differences, looks at averages and trends. I would say that one common denominator for most people who live a long time is physical exercise. But even that won't always apply. There will still be the odd person who is sedentary, does everything 'wrong' and still lives a long time. And vice versa.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 17:14

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I forgot to mention that last night I looked at a long string of articles from around the world looking at 'trends' that relate to mortality. I was amused. They were able to find significant correlations between all sorts of weird variables and mortality. For example, what religious affiliation you had. We are focussing here on just a couple, really. They also found that there were 'outbreaks' of mortality from a particular disease like stroke or MI that seem to come and go in a particular country for no discernable reason.

What about stuff like what position you were in your family of origin..like first child, youngest etc. Anyone ever look at that variable? I'd bet there would be a 'risk' factor! LOL
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
That's something I worry about because I live in the frigid north. Taking D doesn't solve the deficiency as well as a daily half hour of sun. But when it's below zero I don't expose ANY part of my anatomy to the weather. A warm spell this week (high of 20 degrees) allowed me to run outside in shorts all week. It may just be in my mind, but I feel better because of it. I even got a tan on my knees. :-)

I wonder if this could be not so much to Vit.D defficiency per se, but rather exposure to day/sun light. I feel much better when the day is longer and my mood is a bit down in November/December. It is always picks up as soon as day is getting longer. I am thinking to buy a good UVA/B lamp instead of taking mega doses of Vit. D3, that does nothing but makes me body sore and achy.
JMO
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 17:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
not taking health advice from nameless, faceless entities on my computer screen.

NFE! A new acronym!
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 17:45

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

We had a SDA congregation shop at our store and almost all of them were diabetics. They consumed a lot of fruit.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 18:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
There are two things working here. One is vitamin D and it's effect on health and one is light's effect on mood. You can get both from the sun and they are interrelated but not the same. While winter sun does make you feel better and can give you a tan it is not strong enough, except nearer the equator, to generate vitamin D.

They have done studies that vitamin D works better on mood than sun lamps but come January/February I need both. Without the light, I still experience effects of SAD.

And now back to the original topic, lol!!!
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 19:01

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!

Should you be a vegetarian for health reasons?

When asked this question, the Nobel-prize winning author Isaac Bashevis Singer replied: "Yes, for the health of the chicken! "

Bo
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 19:27

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

My mother has been on cholesterol-lowering drugs for several years. Guess what - she developed Parkinson's Disease about three years ago, about two years after starting the drugs. There are no other factors in our family history for it. Her quality of life has been diminished by this disease. And I'm mad about it. I hope she asks her doctor about the LDL-lowering drugs.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 10:29
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Of course not, but if you have high BP you are at greater risk for MI and stroke.

Reply by ReginaW:
Then you agree it's not a *cause* of MI or stroke, or even CVD?

Reply by Dina1957:
No, I think that high BP is indeed cause of MI and stroke.

What *caused* the high blood pressure?

Quote:
Quote by ReginaW:
Normal weight, slim individuals can still carry around too much visceral fat (abdominal fat in their middle) without any outward indication of overweight or obesity....too much fat in the abdomen triggers a cascade of "mis-fires" in the endocrine system and CNS....

Reply by Dina1957:
What???? I am sorry but too much visceral fat will give overall skinny pesron protruding belly, or I am not sure how else one can spot visceral fat (CAt scan perhaps)? The visceral fat is a sign of IR and high insulin, but slims I refer to did not carry excessive visceral fat either.

Some of the ideas you spout - scary!

Quote:
Quote by Dina1957:
It is not the visceral fat that "miss-fires" at endocrine system, it is broken endocrine system that causes fat accumulation in viscera."

So, in your world the endocrine system breaks first and that makes someone gain weight?~

Scatching head......Why'd the endocrine system "break" in the first place?

Quote:
Quote by Dina1957:
We all have certain amount of visceral fat which surrounds internal organs and protect them from injury, in other word, this fat is an organ itself.

Correct

Quote:
Quote by Dina 1957:
But higher than normal % is the problem, and it is due to higher than normal insulin. It is not possible for skinny folks to have high insulin, since insulin is fat storage promoting hormone, so if it is low fat accumulation mechanism is turned off.

Wrong.~

Maybe try googling "medically obese normal weight" and/or "metabolically obese normal weight" and see what pops?

It is a misconception and over-simplification to think diabetes, specifically type 2, is simply caused accumulation of too much fat and if one can avoid overt outward indications of too much fat (overweight/obesity) than they're somehow protected from developing type 2.

Yes, those who are lean/slim are at a lower risk - a far lower percentage of those with normal weight BMI develop type 2 diabetes - but that is no guarantee they are immune from it....here's a clue Dina - look past the adiposity and read up on insulin receptors, OK?

Quote:
Quote by Dina1957:
Diabetes is a very complex disorder, true, that not always associated with poor diet and obesity , but it is also linked to pituitary, adrenal, and pancreatic tumors (even benign), exposure to certain chemicals, steroid hormone use to treat other health conditions, defective genes, daily exposure to strong emotional stress, etc.

Wow, sorta like the endcrine system being intricately involved as previously noted, 'eh?

Quote:
Dina1957:
Most 20% of those skinny T2 are in reality misdiagnosted T1 or so called T 1.5, and/or have MODY.

May I ask your clinical experience with this Dr. Dina? Your data to support this notion that most of those diagnosed T2, who are lean/slim, are not T2 but T1 or MODY?

Quote:
Quote from Dina1957:
Diabetes is classified as lack of insulin or inability of the body to use insulin (IR and T2). So, if one is skim and still has high BGs, there is rather lack of insulin.

Ya think? Back to insulin receptors Dina.....and what's happening, or rather not happening, with them in the body.

Quote:
Quote from Dina1957:
What causes b-cells to start producing less insulin - this is completely different topic, but not IR in this case, otherwise, all folkds who were 250+ pounds would be diabetics (yourself included). Staying slim is good enough not to become T2 if there is not other conditions.

Remaining normal weight is NOT a guarantee Dina......

Quote:
Quote from Dina1957:
No, unfortunately, my family member never were part of the studies, both of my parents are dead.
But my one side of my DH family memebers lives in Caucasian region so we vacationed there every year, many centerians live there, so I had many opportunities. Those ppl slim, trim, lived slow pace/ low ambition lives, ate in moderation, not much sat. fat, lots of veggies and fruit, lots of red wine, sang, dance, etc. Their motto was : do not rush, do not be greedy, do not stress much about small things, and you will live to be 100. As to every rule, there is exception, so yes, there are some folks who lived stressfull life, and still managed to die at old age. I have read and posted links to many papers research longevity in caucasian region, and I don' understand why you have this tone (sharkly reply in your own words). No, I don't have opportunity to talk to drs and researches, but I have read enough literature on the subject.

You need to read more on the subject then.....longevity in the Caucus region is one piece of a very large puzzle to begin to understand human longevity - that includes a large variety of ethicities, cultural traditions and environments.

Extrapolating data from one area to extend to the whole human population doesn't work - never has, never will - since there is no harmony across regions and countries with diet, activity patterns or environement. Heck, the experience of an individual within the US is varied - some live in urban areas, others rural or suburban - so even though they share a common nationality, their day-to-day is totally different!

Quote:
Quote from Dina1957:
This is OT, but please, provide links that no vegeterians lived to be 100.

It was recently in the news - much to the dismay of a vegetarian research assistant, investigating longevity of centenarians, none were found to be vegetarian in those studied by researchers at Albert Einstein School of Medicine in NY.

"Centenarians — for obvious reasons — are being intensively studied for the clues they may offer about aging. If they're doing something right, Dr. Nir Barzilai, who studies centenarians at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, says he hasn't found their secret yet. So far, he's asked 400 of them all kinds of questions about the way they live their lives, and "I don't have anything to tell you," he says. They don't seem to live more healthful lives. Among the 400, he hasn't found a single vegetarian. This bugs his research coordinator, who is a vegetarian herself, he says. "She has almost made it her ambition now to find one.""

Quote:
Quote from ReginaW:
Bad assumption - lean individuals are found IR each day; overt obesity/overweight is not the end all be all indication a person is IR.

Quote from Dina1957:
Links please.

Here's a couple to get you started.....

Glucose tolerance and insulin action in healty centenarians

Preserved antilipolytic insulin action is associated with a less atherogenic plasma lipid profile in healthy centenarians

Quote:
Quote from ReginaW:
That's the best you can do Dina?

Quote from Dina1957:
and the sharkly response is because I simply stated that no one knows for sure what does and does not causes heart desease, and making assumptions based on the articles we read does not count. We can find 100 folds more studies linking cholesterol to heart desease than NOT, we both know it.

Snarky? Nah....you tried to set up a strawman, I don't do strawman arguements. Simple as that.

And you assertion that we can find 100 folds more studied linking cholesterol to heart disease is another one - so you continue to believe that if you'd like; my review of various studies leads to a different conclusion.

Quote:
Quote from Dina1957:
No normal weight kids will be subject to CHO testing, unless they have existing CHD. Please, provide links to the studies showing statins being routinely Rx to normal weight healthy children with elevated CHO.

Well, they've been doing it for 35-years here, in Beaver County, PA.

"Its Healthy Heart Program, which conducts blood lipid panel tests in local seventh-grade pupils, has been in effect for more than 35 years."

Oh, and I didn't say statins are being "routinely" prescribed to healthy kids, now did I?

Last edited by ReginaW : Sun, Jan-28-07 at 11:44.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 11:39
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!

Quote:
If you want to look at vegetarians and longevity or heart disease... you should look at SDA. Why? Because there are likely to be fewer variables involved that would otherwise increase mortality in your 'average' vegetarian.

SDA has numerous confounding variables - alcohol consumption, smoking, drugs, social network, congregation for prayer/spirituality, caffeine consumption, etc.