Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: DiPasquale Radical Diet
Stats: 301.5/260.2/260 Male 71
BF:25%/?%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
Tons of research suggesting the connection. Here's one:

Annual Review of Pathology: Mechanisms of Disease
Vol. 1: 297-329 (Volume publication date February 2006)
(doi:10.1146/annurev.pathol.1.110304.100100)

First published online as a Review in Advance on October 26, 2005

INFLAMMATION AND ATHEROSCLEROSIS

I'm sorry, I don't see where this article even suggests that high cholesterol levels influences the rate of atherosclerosis. Could you highlight it for me?

Kind regards
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 12:42
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!

Quote:
Atherosclerosis, the cause of myocardial infarction, stroke, and ischemic gangrene, is an inflammatory disease. The atherosclerotic process is initiated when cholesterol-containing low-density lipoproteins accumulate in the intima and activate the endothelium. Leukocyte adhesion molecules and chemokines promote recruitment of monocytes and T cells. Monocytes differentiate into macrophages and upregulate pattern recognition receptors, including scavenger receptors and toll-like receptors. Scavenger receptors mediate lipoprotein internalization, which leads to foam-cell formation. Toll-like receptors transmit activating signals that lead to the release of cytokines, proteases, and vasoactive molecules. T cells in lesions recognize local antigens and mount T helper-1 responses with secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines that contribute to local inflammation and growth of the plaque. Intensified inflammatory activation may lead to local proteolysis, plaque rupture, and thrombus formation, which causes ischemia and infarction. Inflammatory markers are already used to monitor the disease process and anti-inflammatory therapy may be useful to control disease activity.

Simplified:

Inflammation ---> Attempts at repair ---> blockage/ruptures/angina/etc.

It's not the cholesterol causing the atherosclerosis, but the inflammatory response sending cholesterol to sites in need of repair --- so the solution, we're told is lower cholesterol?

How about resolving the cause of the inflammation so the body doesn't need to make repairs that result in plaque formation?
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 12:43
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant
I'm sorry, I don't see where this article even suggests that high cholesterol levels influences the rate of atherosclerosis. Could you highlight it for me?

Kind regards

Exactly.......
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 12:52

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant

Kind regards

It doesn't suggest it at all.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Simplified:

Inflammation ---> Attempts at repair ---> blockage/ruptures/angina/etc.

It's not the cholesterol causing the atherosclerosis, but the inflammatory response sending cholesterol to sites in need of repair --- so the solution, we're told is lower cholesterol?

How about resolving the cause of the inflammation so the body doesn't need to make repairs that result in plaque formation?

Too simple and does not explain why some ppl can handle all the known risk factors: smoking, high BP, high CHO and still never get a MI, while others do everything right and still die of CHD. It is not only inflamation that causes cholesterole to stick and form plaque, it is also aging that makes artheries less flexible/more rigid so they do not contract and expand as in some one of younger age. Women for instance, have very low risk of heart desease while estrogen is high, so it keep artheries flexible and capable of accumulating more plaque (they just expland more). Once estrogen is gone, artheries no longer expand, and the existing plaque becomes problem.
Having high LDL is greater chance that some of the plaque will indeed get stuck and may become inflamed under many circumstances: simply by high stress level, depression, anxiety, virus, bacteria. Diet is one of the variables in heart desease equation.
This article has some interesting points.
http://www.emaxhealth.com/39/1874.html
So, they offer statins for HIGH RISK GROUP: diabetics (inflamtion already present), ppl with strong family history of heart desease (genetics), etc. Who will Rx statins to a 25 yo male or female just to lower CHO?

Last edited by dina1957 : Thu, Jan-25-07 at 15:01. Reason: typos
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Proof???? It hasn't been proven that atherosclerosis is caused by high cholesterol levels.

It hasn't been proven that high cholesterol is benign either. It's funny how the article uses masai tribes to demonstrate abundance of saturated fat not causing heart disease, yet they maintain healthy low total cholesterol from 90mg/dl - 120mg/dl (will provide link when I find it). The link below describes them as having the lowest cholesterol in the world (similar to that of certain areas in japan, where btw heart disease is rare). No wonder why they haven't got heart disease! Because heart disease steadily rises from 150mg/dl onwards.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth3.htm

Last edited by Whoa182 : Thu, Jan-25-07 at 15:14.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 15:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

Quote:
The atherosclerotic process is initiated when cholesterol-containing low-density lipoproteins accumulate in the intima and activate the endothelium.
This statement from the paper is incomplete and inaccurate. It fails to distinguish between LDL profiles. LDL type A is a larger particle that does not enter the endothelium. LDL type B is the smaller, denser particle that causes this problem. By missing this distinction, that article leaves the erroneous impression that LDL levels by themselves cause the problem. But LDL is not the issue. The LDL profile is the issue.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 15:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
It hasn't been proven that high cholesterol is benign either. It's funny how the article uses masai tribes to demonstrate abundance of saturated fat not causing heart disease, yet they maintain healthy low total cholesterol from 90mg/dl - 120mg/dl (will provide link when I find it). The link below describes them as having the lowest cholesterol in the world (similar to that of certain areas in japan, where btw heart disease is rare). No wonder why they haven't got heart disease! Because heart disease steadily rises from 150mg/dl onwards.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth3.htm

And the title of the myth you linked to?
Quote:
The diet has little to do with your blood cholesterol level

In other words, the Masai and several other tribes consume a diet high in saturated fat which should, according to currently accepted theory, send their serum cholesterol sky high. Does it? Nope.
Gosh....if eating lots of saturated fat doesn't give you high cholesterol, could it possibly be something else???

Last edited by Lisa N : Thu, Jan-25-07 at 16:12.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 16:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
LDL type B is the smaller, denser particle that causes this problem

Right, small dense LDL levels are more important than total LDL. Plus sdLDL gets oxidized first, before it enters the vessel wall. But why is it oxidized? Free radicals will be present to oxidize it. Why are they there? The state of the organism and endothelium is inflammatory. What causes that? Over-efficient activity in mitochondria with overproduction of free radicals. Why is that? Too little activity of uncoupling proteins in the mitochondrial inner membrane, and too high of a proton gradient across that membrane. What causes that? A macronutrient ratio in the diet with too many carbs and too little fat and protein blah, blah, lah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

All this theory is just speculation with some evidence to back it up, and it could all change with more research in the basic science.

But the point is -- IT DOESN'T MATTER...

The evidence to answer our question is already all there in the ridiculously expensive 5 year studies of 50,000 people, paid for by the only organizations with enough spare cash to do the studies, Pfizer et al.

The evidence is there, presumably, in the 8 studies. The CTT group could analyze them appropriately, and we'd know. After all, that's what they are supposed to be doing.

for some reason, it hasn't happened.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 16:14
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Too simple and does not explain why some ppl can handle all the known risk factors: smoking, high BP, high CHO and still never get a MI, while others do everything right and still die of CHD.

The simplification was from the abstract posted, not CVD in general.

Can you define what "doing everything right" is?

Quote:
It is not only inflamation that causes cholesterole to stick and form plaque, it is also aging that makes artheries less flexible/more rigid so they do not contract and expand as in some one of younger age.

Cholesterol, specifically LDL, the so-called "bad" cholesterol, doesn't "stick" to anything - it collects, along with other things, within the wall structure of the artery.

Quote:
Having high LDL is greater chance that some of the plaque will indeed get stuck and may become inflamed under many circumstances: simply by high stress level, depression, anxiety, virus, bacteria. Diet is one of the variables in heart desease equation.

See, you're of the belief the cholesterol gets "stuck" and that is what causes inflammation. Secondly, you seem to be under the assumption that all LDL is somehow bad? vLDL can be bad, but the large "fluffy" LDL isn't....that's why simply using the estimated LDL number on the standard cholesterol lab test isn't really helpful - particle size of LDL definitely in important.

Quote:
Who will Rx statins to a 25 yo male or female just to lower CHO?

Maybe you've missed the push to have anyone, male or female, with or without high risks, prescribed statins if their LDL is higher than "desired"?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 17:33

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
It hasn't been proven that high cholesterol is benign either.

That's because, in logical terms, you can't really prove that *anything* is benign. And that's why the burden of proof is on those who claim that something isn't benign.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 17:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Interesting discussion, keep it coming!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 23:46
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:

normal BP, not smoking, not being obese, not eating sugar and junk, being active, this is doing right in my book.

Quote:
Cholesterol, specifically LDL, the so-called "bad" cholesterol, doesn't "stick" to anything - it collects, along with other things, within the wall structure of the artery.

I used "stuck" just "to simplify" not because I think it is literally gets stuck.Other thing that is present is fibrinogen and is linked to atherosclerosis amongs other factors.
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/con...tract/15/9/1263
Frankly, I just think that getting older somehow is responsible for atherosclerosis and artherial inflamation. Not all older folks have it, but some can repair microtears in artherial wall structure, while others - can't. Insulin sensitive body can even grow natural by-pass around blocked arthery, so I have read, but one must be sensitive to insulin. But in general, tiny, hair like blood vessels, start closing after 40, while it does not lead to heart attack immediately (only when major artheries are blocked), it does deprive heart from much needed oxygen and nutrients, so heart muscle is somewhat starving, and heart desease develops.
Quote:
See, you're of the belief the cholesterol gets "stuck" and that is what causes inflammation.

I prefer that you don't assume things, and no, I don't believe, as I stated it already. I do believe that if there is inflamation, plaque will get inflamed and cholesterol is not helping in this matter.
Quote:
Secondly, you seem to be under the assumption that all LDL is somehow bad? vLDL can be bad, but the large "fluffy" LDL isn't....that's why simply using the estimated LDL number on the standard cholesterol lab test isn't really helpful - particle size of LDL definitely in important.

Again, I prefer you not assume anything, but I do know differnce between Lipoprotein A and B, as well as VLDL, thank you, but this is beyond the point. I can think whatever I want, it does not change anything. I do think it is better to have lipoprotein A on a lower side, especially if there are other risk factors present, but it is JMO.

Quote:
Maybe you've missed the push to have anyone, male or female, with or without high risks, prescribed statins if their LDL is higher than "desired"?

I did miss it, because I've never been pushed by any doctor to take statins to lower my CHO, and neither was my DH even his CHO is on the higher side (around 240) but with good HDL and low TRG. If a doctor"pushes" you to take statins, it is easy to say :NO. I never heard of drs Rx statins to young ppl either. Not in my experience at least.
From what I have read they recommend to keep CHO low for those in high risk group: existing CHD, those who already had one heart attack ( helps to prevent another one), diabetics, etc. I don't see anything wrong with this approach, I also don't think any heart patient will benefit from high cholesterol of any kind.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-07, 02:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/275/190 Male 70in
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
I never heard of drs Rx statins to young ppl either. Not in my experience at least.
Dr. Kendrick, whose new book was the catalyst for this thread:
Quote:
http://www.thincs.org/Malcolm.htm#children
STATINS FOR CHILDREN – THIS IS MADNESS

When someone sent me a copy of an article in the Washington Post, stating that more and more doctors now think that children as young as four should be put on statins, my fingers started to itch.

by Malcolm Kendrick MD

Here’s the offending headline:

‘Despite Controversy, Pressure Grows to Treat High Cholesterol in Children After Studies Link Elevated Levels to Adult Heart Disease.’
By Elizabeth Agnvall
Special to The Washington Post
Tuesday, December 2, 2003

Has the world gone completely mad? Are we really suggesting that we should start a healthy four-year-old girl on a medicine, and continue this medicine for the rest of her life? Something that could turn her into one of the ‘worried well’, and even if it doesn’t, will most likely cause side-effects.

Can we really be contemplating this, when all of the evidence that exists points to the fact that STATINS WILL DO HER ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD AT ALL!

Apparently, we are. ‘Anyone for tea?’ Asked the Mad Hatter.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-07, 11:57
Contrarian

Quote:

DINA:
normal BP, not smoking, not being obese, not eating sugar and junk, being active, this is doing right in my book.

All those things are only markers of potential cardiovascular risks; not one is a guarantee you'll not have CVD or other health problem. From everything I've read, the three things that matter at the end of the day are insulin, blood glucose and triglycerides....that is the only common ground amongst the longest lived across different societies/cultures.

Yet, we here in the US perpetuate a myth that LDL causes heart disease. Sorry, but it doesn't.

If you step-back from the lipid-hypothesis and return to basic physiology and metabolism you'll start to see it's something BEFORE cholesterol gets outta whack, not the high cholesterol itself.....many contend it is the inflammatory processes that are causing dyslipidemia; and the improvements seen in those with CVD taking statins is due to it's effect on inflammation, not the lowering of LDL.

Quote:
I never heard of drs Rx statins to young ppl either. Not in my experience at least.

You need to read more about the issue then - statins are being recommended for more and more of the population, including children!