Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 09:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

HerebNurse, we must have been posting at the same time, so I've only just seen your last post!

Quote:
I have two shelties...Louie is 3 1/2 and Dewey is 14 months old. Because I know it is best for their health as well as mine I exercise them a lot. When temps are more bearable we usually go for 2-3 mile walks twice a day but it is a little too cold for that right now.

Great to see another dog lover here ... Judy is another. I've currently got a 7 month old yellow lab named Bailey. I've always had Danes before, but after I had to have my last one put down last year because her back legs went, I said that I wouldn't have any more dogs, that it was just too painful. Then in July, my mum asked me to go visit a friend with her ... turned out that the friend's lab had just had puppies, and did I want one? Well, you can obviously guess the rest

Quote:
DD came over last night after class and I helped her with weights again. She really pushed herself hard and I am sure she will feel it today but that is a good thing. This evening she will come do cardio and her next scheduled weight training day is Friday.

How great that you get to work out and help your DD. My 16-year-old DD is starting to take an interest, which is one of the reasons that I want to establish a home gym.

In case anyone is interested, I came across this article about Linda Hamilton, which supposedly includes a workout devised by her personal trainers: The Muscle Movement

Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 09:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I wish I were feeling as into this as all of you are. It feels almost as difficult as when I first started to lose all my weight. My ass and thighs are so bad that I feel like I'll never see any progress. I need a major attitude adjustment!!

I'm going to keep reading about all your workouts and hopefully, you'll get me into a better state of mind.

I am feeling my body today in a way that I haven't before in that the soreness from my Monday workout is very specific to the parts of my body that I worked on. I did butt work that I did not think I was doing correctly but do feel my butt today and now I know that I was doing it right after all.

I'll get there, it will just take me time.

Don't forget that you are just starting out, and it will take time to feel the same way about it as some of us here do. After all, we've been working out a lot longer.

I promise you though, that if you keep at it, that mindset will suddenly click into place and you will begin to love and look forward to your workouts. You WILL get there, but like you said, it will just take a ittle bit of time to make the attitude adjustment.

BTW, embrace the soreness ... it usually means that you've worked out well, and that your muscles are responding to that.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 09:53
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi ladies. I'm in a rush as always, but I wanted to lend my support.

Demi, I'm excited about the HIIT. I'm going to check out your log again. I did yesterday and wanted to comment, but just didn't have another moment to spare. I recognized most of the work you did and it really is a challenging collection. You did an amazing job getting through that.

HN, I understand your hesitation in working with a trainer. It is scary when you're comfortable doing what you're doing. My advice is, though, just try it. If it's free, then you've got nothing to lose, so to speak! Try one session. Get an assessment or some advice. Of course I understand that military people love to use phrases like "Pain is weakness leaving the body" LOL but really it doesn't have to be that bad. I'm thinking that you might get some extra motivation needed to use your home gym this way. Consider it a supplement and not a replacement. (P.S. I feel for you on the lack of sleep - that can be rough. Your DH is doing a wonderful thing for us - thank you! Just make sure you take good care of yourself while he's away. It seems like you're on the right track.)

Dane, thanks so much for all the words of encouragement and advice. Congrats on the baby and welcome back!

Judy, yes, definitely hang in there. I remember my first week with my trainer all I wanted to do was sleep and I was definitely sore. It can be daunting, but if you're faithful to the process I promise you it WILL get better. Make sure you're getting your potassium and water and protein and make sure you're stretching. I love to take a hot shower and stretch while the water is running down me even. I've also pulled out the yoga DVD too to help. Ooh, I just remembered...aren't you doing pilates too? Is that helping or adding to the stress? Well, whatever you are feeling, remember that what you are doing is SO good. Just hang in there!

Galatia, I, too, will be interested to read an overview of what you're eating and when (or are you posting that in your journal?)

Well babes...I must be off. I'll try to check in again soon. Until then, keep yourselves pumped up!
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 10:45
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Morning, babes...

Arrrr - haven't been to the gym yet this week. No excuse, really, but laziness and not wanting to go out in the cold! I'm simply out of the habit. The BF and I go together, and he's not been pushing for it either! How shameful of us!

I didn't stop going due to injury or anything, just out of sheer boredom and lack of progress. Now that I have my eating dialed in - and some health issues, like food intolerance solved - I think I'll see results from lifting. Food reactions were keeping me puffy all over and no matter what I did, it didn't budge. I thought the puff was fat and got frustrated. Now the puff is gone and I can get myself properly Hamiltonized! Or Swanked - she looked AMAZING in that movie. I actually paused it several times so I could examine her back muscles!

Thanks for the tips! I will stick with mainly compounds then. I am taking l-glutamine for gut healing, so hopefully it'll cut down on soreness as well. Course I have to actually work out first.

Dane: I babysit a great dane/shepherd mix often, and I love the breed! But my heart belongs to American Staffordshire's and Staffie Bulls. Short and stocky, like me! Can't wait til I can have a dog in my life again...right now an apt. with 4 cats is enough!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 11:05
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Just finished my 30 min. cardio followed by 10 mins. of stretch and then laying inverted for about 10 mins. Gosh I love how that makes me feel.

I spent the entire time on the treadmill during an awesome HIIT. I amazed myself and got my sprint speed up to 6.8 miles per hour but only held that for 90 seconds before I backed it way down to start again at 2 minute intervals until I got it back up. Wheww.....that was real work but I loved it none the less. My butt is even more sore then it was before I did HIIT. How cool is that!!

Hope everyone has an awesome day!!!

HN
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 11:50
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

Could someone tell me how to put pics in posts? I'd like to put some in my Gym journal (when I start it) and I can't figure it out!!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 14:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:

Hi everybody. Sadly PMS is here again....I won't be posting much, but I'll read. My moods swing...but mostly from bad to worse and rarely to good during PMS. Just so you know....I'm still around.

As for my food, check my fitday link....you'll notice right away "clean" eating hasn't caught on with me yet . "Pass the processed meats please." Dane helped me fix my carb/calorie cycling plan, that I'm using. She helped me with it in April, and I never got serious with it until I started this cut Jan. 15th. Now...before she points it out, she told me what my macros should be, I filled in all the "healthy" foods. But for some reason, I had to lower my calories by about 200 to lose....and even now I'm finding 1500 is maintenance for me now . I don't know why. I tried to jump start myself with an overfeed yesterday....and gained 2 pounds, and found my appetite over stimulated again. What's a girl to do. So....I'm still working on it.

WWSis, are you trying to post personal pictures or pictures off the internet? If off the internet: I have WYSIWYG checked, so I can just click on a picture and copy/paste onto the message. Sometimes it doesn't work, it just shows the link, but most of the time it works. If you aren't using WYSIWYG, then you have to put the address of the picture between [img]*insert address here[/img]
Now that's probably about as clear as mud. I'm no good with advice or directions. Maybe someone else can help you.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 17:04
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I don't know when I can post again, but Demi I just wanted to say I love the article you posted re: LH...there is so much that's inspiring about it. Babes, you all should read it.

And yes, while I wanna be hot (might as well be honest) I did so love this line of the article to justify all that I'm doing:

Quote:
Strength training is one of the most effective anti-aging tactics you can tap into.

If that isn't reason enough, I don't know what is!!!

I'm crazed right now, but you can be sure I'll be doing my resistance and cardio at the gym tomorrow and then one day this weekend (to fulfill my promise of 3x/week). I also did some extra cardio today to burn off stress.

I'll try to check back in again soon. Stay pumped!
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 19:09
No Excuses!!

Plan: Atkins/M&E/Very LC
Stats: 295/264/125 Female 5'2"
BF:ALOT!!!!!!!!
Progress: 18%

Hi ladies, I hope you all dont mind if I jump into this group.I have just discovered weight training and am finding that I love it. I am mainly in the reading and listening mode right now but have been tuned into this for awhile now & figure its time to take the plunge.I have been doing a little with dumb bells at home and am getting a bench next week. I just find weight lifting and health in general to be facinating. I havent been healthy & fit for along while but am making good progress now and am feeling confident in starting weight training.
I am just so impessed with the results of you all. And I love that whole Linda Hamilton look.One day....thats me.Only shorter.

I am using something Galatia said as my motivational phrase:

Your goal isn't to find a weight that you can lift 10 times...
1. Your first goal is to find a weight that you CAN'T lift 10 times..
2. Your second goal is to lift that weight - 10 times...
3. Your third goal is to increase the weight, so you can return to the second goal...

And its working!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 06:14

BF:

Morning Babes!

Just off to the gym for my second weight training session of the week. I'm still very sore from Tuesday's workout, so I hope that it doesn't impact too much on today's workout. I'll just have to grit my teeth and work through it though if it does.

Although I know that I shouldn't have, I have taken some ibruprofen this morning. It's mainly my hams and glutes that are really sore, everything else just seems to have settled into a bit of a dull ache.

I must remember to get some glutamine to add to my protein shake after my work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammastar
I have just discovered weight training and am finding that I love it. I am mainly in the reading and listening mode right now but have been tuned into this for awhile now & figure its time to take the plunge.I have been doing a little with dumb bells at home and am getting a bench next week. I just find weight lifting and health in general to be facinating. I havent been healthy & fit for along while but am making good progress now and am feeling confident in starting weight training.

Grammastar, welcome to the thread Glad to hear that you've taking the plunge and have started training with weights ... you certainly won't regret it. Looks like we're around the same age ... I starting lifting weights a couple of years ago, and it's the best thing I ever did

Lisa ~ sorry that you're under so much pressure at the moment, and hope that things will ease enough soon for you to have more posting time.

I love the quote about resistance training being such an effective anti-ageing tactic ... at my age I certainly need all the help I can get

Actually, take a look at this fabulous lady: Flex Appeal ... she's 86! Can you believe it?!

galatia ~ having PMS sucks! Hope it passes quickly Thanks also for pointing us in the direction of your Fitday. What I'd really like to know is the actual timing of your meals ... especially around your workouts. I'm trying to work out the best way to fit my 6 meals in during the day.

waywardsis ~ there's a great thread here about how to post pics etc

Last edited by Demi : Thu, Feb-01-07 at 07:55.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 07:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:

I can't get the link to work Demi. But here are some nice examples of how bodybuilding is an anti-aging tactic.

Mary Louise Zeller 57 year-old

Eva Birath 50 years old.

Kelly 77 years old.
Here's a link to more information on her.
http://www.allyourstrength.com/ArticleDetail.aspx?ID=174
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 08:04

BF:

Quote:
I can't get the link to work Demi.

Sorry about that. I've gone back and changed it now.

However, thought that I might as well post the whole article here as well:

Quote:
Flex Appeal

At 86, great-grandmother Morjorie Newlin keeps pumping iron.

by Tasha Ho-Sang

Fourteen years ago, when Morjorie Newlin was 72, her neighborhood supermarket had 50-pound bags of kitty litter on sale. Without anyone to help her carry the bags back to her house, she struggled mightily under the load. Never a particularly athletic woman, but staunchly independent, she decided that she had to do something about her deteriorating physical capabilities.

Though osteoporosis was also on her mind, the septuagenarian began lifting weights — for her cat.

Built to last: "I want to be as independent as I can be,
for as long as I can," says Newlin.

"I want to be as independent as I can be, for as long as I can," says Newlin, a great-grandmother and retired nurse who turns 86 tomorrow. "I just want to do things for myself."

After 13 years of weight training, Newlin is more than taking care of herself. At her two-story home in Mt. Airy, Newlin, who runs up the stairs with the sprightliness of a 10-year-old, has a room dedicated entirely to plaques, certificates and trophies (some almost as tall as her) from bodybuilding competitions that have taken her as far away as Italy, France and Germany. She's won more than 40 trophies in her late-blooming career. "There are so many, I don't know what to do with all of them," she says.

"I chuckled when I saw this little old lady walk inside the gym," says Richard Brown, a personal trainer at Rivers Gym in Mt. Airy, where Newlin began her training. "I was a little leery. I was just training young athletes at the time."

The little old lady quickly showed him what an older athlete could do.

"She kept coming in day after day, week after week, and month after month," Brown remembers. "She didn't want to do 'girly' workouts. She wanted to train with us fellows."

"After a few months of training, I looked at her physique and knew she was ready for a [bodybuilding] show," he continues. "She definitely had something to show."

Newlin was bench-pressing 65 pounds when she was 73 years old. A year later she was throwing up 85.

The bodybuilding competitions are broken into two divisions. Newlin's first competition was in the Amateur Athletic Union, which is open to the public.

Newlin recalls being a little reluctant when she saw the string bikini she'd have to wear in front of the bodybuilding audience.

"I knew the contest meant a lot to my trainer so I went along with it," she says. To everyone's surprise, Newlin won. The crowd went crazy on hearing she was 74 years old.

Newlin began her competition career in that AAU's Master's Division, which splits contestants into two categories: under and over a certain age limit, usually 35 or 45 years old. Newlin obviously fell way over the dividing line, wherever it was set, but was competing and winning against women half her age.

"I was always the oldest in all my competitions," says Newlin.

The daughter of very active Barbadian immigrants, Newlin admits that athleticism is in her genes: "My family is used to walking and running long distances."

Although she's taking a break from bodybuilding competitions for now, Newlin is still training at least three days a week, now at Bally Total Fitness in Cedarbrook, and can still throw down with the best of them. "I could bench-press 90 pounds with a spotter. I can dead lift 95 pounds. I can squat 135 pounds," says Newlin.

She's been featured on Oprah and The View, and has appeared in commercials in Barbados. She spends her time out of the gym as a motivational speaker at schools and banquets, discussing the importance of exercise, weight training and dieting. "A lady called me earlier this week from Hawaii," Newlin says. "She asked questions about how to use weights."

Though some in her position might wonder how much longer they can keep it up — or how far they might have come if they'd started earlier — those questions never cross Newlin's mind. "Every day is different. The next day will take care of itself," she says with Zen-like calm.

"Age is only a number," says Brown. "There is only one Morjorie Newlin. ... She could do this for as long as she wants."

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2...-03/naked.shtml

I've never seen an 86-year-old who looks that good!

... and there's an interview here with her on her 84th birthday back in 2005.

Last edited by Demi : Thu, Feb-01-07 at 08:12.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 09:44

BF:

Well I got my workout done (see gym log for details).

Really thought I'd have problems because of the soreness, but I was amazed how positively my body reacted as I began the warm ups exercises. I'm not saying that the workout was easy, because it certainly wasn't ... but it did feel good and I got it done
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 09:45
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Wow, so inspiring!

Demi, we're on the same schedule this week. I'm off to the gym today to do my workout (solo - I just meet with the trainer once a week).

Grammastar, welcome! You are starting out the right way. You take it one weight at a time, so to speak, and keep building. You will love this!

Galatia, I think I'm PMSing with you, like I'm not stressed enoughed. LOL

Thanks for all the support. Just doing a quick daily check-in. Despite how crazy things are for me, I'll be pumping iron today. Stay pumped, babes!
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 17:56
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Well I got my workout done (see gym log for details).

Really thought I'd have problems because of the soreness, but I was amazed how positively my body reacted as I began the warm ups exercises. I'm not saying that the workout was easy, because it certainly wasn't ... but it did feel good and I got it done

Hey, that's great news! I had a free moment tonight and wanted to post again. You know it's hard to stay away. <smile>

I know what you mean about being surprised at how well your body reacts. I've gone to the gym feeling sore and wondering, but with proper warming up and stretching, I've managed it well.

As a matter of fact, I had a similar experience myself today. I went to the gym and was certainly feeling tired, but I was committed to what I needed to do. And I had a great workout. I did a bunch of push-ups, actually. I started with my set of 5 and added 5 more. Then in-between some ab work (with the stability and bosu balls) I did another set of 5...and another. I think I probably did a total of 30! OMG I was stunned. Then later as I was doing flies, my trainer walked by and checked on me. So I had to show him the push-up thing...but by then I was SO tired and I could only squeak out two. LOL I'm such a geek. But I told him of my triumph and he was excited. He also exclaimed "you HAVE lost weight, haven't you?" I was beaming! So next Tuesday my goal is to do 10 good push-ups. *phew*

Tonight I feel achy and I have a few muscles asking me just WHAT I was thinking. ROFL But I feel great...proud...strong. It's amazing what this workout is doing for my stress level. I have really had a tough week and while I was at the gym, I felt SO good. It's a release and therapy and an escape all rolled into one. And I'm going to look good as a result!

So WT babes...while I'm gone make sure you keeping pumping! I'll be back as soon as I can!

P.S. Because we have company through the weekend, the majority of whom will be here Friday and Saturday, I'm planning to take those two days off and return for my 3rd full workout on Sunday. Since I'm meeting with my trainer on Tuesday, it works out.