Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-07, 21:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/159/186 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007
Is It REALLY possible to lose 100 lbs in a Year or less? I mean, I really want to know. I don't want to set my expectations high only to fail. Let's say for instance that I stay on track with no major cheating or binging or just near perfect low carbing....then is it possible - is it really possible? Or shoud I set my goal to a much lesser amount like 50 lbs?

Successful 100 lbs or more losers please respond to this post. I really want to know. I don't want to fool myself thinking it can be done if that's really not the case.
Thanks so much & Happy New Year!

I've lost 94 pounds in 8 months and 3 days. I only have 6 more pounds until I reach my goal that I set back in May, 2006. I really wanted to lose 100 pounds by Febuary of this year, and I will make my goal. So, yes...it is possible that you can lose 100 pounds in a year.

Of course, every "body" is different. A lot depends on age, etc. I'm a granny with 3 grandkids (soon to be a 4th one, Feb. 9th) No two people are going to lose the same.

I just think it's a choice.

Don't cheat, don't even think about cheating. There are so many recipes on here, find the one's you like and stay the course.

Drink lots of water. I drink almost a gallon a day.

Exercise. Try to walk everyday.

Have little mini goals in mind. One of my first mini goals was to get down to 270, when I did I was so excited. The next was to get under 250, and so on. The mini goal I set for myself to finally get to "one"derland (under 200) was the best When I saw those scales go to 199, I was thrilled!!!

My motivation and support has come from this forum. I can't say that enough!

Make up your mind that you want to lose weight more than anything in the world and let nothing or no one stand in your way, it's your choice.

Be positive!

Keep coming here for support, we're all in this together.

I wish you the very best! You CAN do this!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-07, 22:18

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

Checked out your before/after photos. Gee-Ma you look great! Thanks for the great advice. I'm taking it one day at a time, but really though, doesn't seem all that difficult. I mean I just had 3 pieces of fried chicken (no flour of course) and a Romaine/Baby Spinach salad. It doesn't get any better than that! I think my personal challenge will be to make sure that I don't get bored with the foods that I eat. I feel as long as I keep my foods varied then I will be ok and as you said there are many great receipes here for me to check out. To tell the truth, I'm already jazzed as I've lost 8 lbs already during my first week so I am feeling really hyped which will also be another challenge, that is to STAY really hype during my journey and I believe staying in the forums will help me accomplish that. So, here I go, the beginning of week two for me. It's just all so exciting. I'm happy with my food choices, all the foods I can eat, the forums, the people, an exciting new year, and all the great things to come.

Last edited by 2007 : Thu, Jan-04-07 at 22:31.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jan-04-07, 22:53

BF:

Quote:
Checked out your before/after photos. Gee-Ma you look great! Thanks for the great advice. I'm taking it one day at a time, but really though, doesn't seem all that difficult. I mean I just had 3 pieces of fried chicken (no flour of course) and a Romaine/Baby Spinach salad. It doesn't get any better than that! I think my personal challenge will be to make sure that I don't get bored with the foods that I eat. I feel as long as I keep my foods varied then I will be ok and as you said there are many great receipes here for me to check out. To tell the truth, I'm already jazzed as I've lost 8 lbs already during my first week so I am feeling really hyped which will also be another challenge, that is to STAY really hype during my journey and I believe staying in the forums will help me accomplish that. So, here I go, the beginning of week two for me. It's just all so exciting. I'm happy with my food choices, all the foods I can eat, the forums, the people, an exciting new year, and all the great things to come.

Thanks! It took me a long time to get the nerve up to post that picture of me sitting at the table. My little grandbaby had to sit on my knee, she couldn't sit on my lap, I didn't have one lol. You can hardly see her in that picture. When I first started Atkins, I went through all the before and after pictures on here. That really helped me! Talk about incentive

8 pounds is great! You just keep that positive attitude, you are doing fantastic and the best is yet to come
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 08:22
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee-Ma
Thanks! It took me a long time to get the nerve up to post that picture of me sitting at the table. My little grandbaby had to sit on my knee, she couldn't sit on my lap, I didn't have one lol. You can hardly see her in that picture. When I first started Atkins, I went through all the before and after pictures on here. That really helped me! Talk about incentive

8 pounds is great! You just keep that positive attitude, you are doing fantastic and the best is yet to come

Congratulations on your terrific weight loss!!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 20:43

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

I don't want to high jack this thread but Gee-Ma, you really need to start a journal so we can all comment on how wonderfully you are doing! Best of luck to you 2007!
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-07, 23:10

BF:

I do need to start a journal, you're so right joesfolks Between working and the 3 grandkids (soon to be 4) most of my days are really busy. I know, excuses, excuses, lol. I should start one at least, I will do that soon.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 16:00

Quote:
Is It REALLY possible to lose 100 lbs in a Year or less? I mean, I really want to know. I don't want to set my expectations high only to fail. Let's say for instance that I stay on track with no major cheating or binging or just near perfect low carbing....then is it possible - is it really possible? Or shoud I set my goal to a much lesser amount like 50 lbs?

Successful 100 lbs or more losers please respond to this post. I really want to know. I don't want to fool myself thinking it can be done if that's really not the case.
Thanks so much & Happy New Year!

So, yeah, back to the original reason for this thread...thanks!

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 16:40

Plan: Body For Life
Stats: 320/295/180 Female 67 inches
BF:too much thanks!
Progress: 18%

Hey 2007! I've seen you around the forums here and there - maybe the "Lose 30-40-50 lbs. in a year" thread? Congrats on taking such an important first step in your health, and for seeking out support which is so incredibly important.

My first time on LC, I did it without much support (didn't know about this forum at the time) and stayed on strict Induction for probably six full months. I lost about 60 pounds that way. Got pregnant, regained, yadda yadda yadda...

This time I've had tons of support here, and have lost 70 lbs. over twelve months. (This while nursing my youngest baby, who is beyond healthy and adorable!) I mention the nursing thing because I found a quote of Dr. Atkins from some years ago stating that breastfeeding women could indeed follow the Atkins plan - though I skipped Induction entirely this time - but that their weight loss would be, in Dr. A's words, "painfully slow." If 70 lbs. in 12 months is slow, I can't wait to see what happens now that my baby is weaned and my body gets back to normal!

I too have set goals like "lose X lbs. in X months" but I find I get incredibly frustrated when those goals don't happen in the "right" timeframe. So my published goal is to lose 50 lbs. this year, though I really need to lose about 75-80 to make my goal. Will it happen by the end of this year? Quite possibly. I just know that I benefit most from setting somewhat conservative goals. That way I don't feel like I'm racing against the clock.

Focus on the plan, make good choices daily, and the results will follow. Best of luck to you!
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 16:57

Hello JazzFan

Yeah I've been spending a lot of time on these boards lately and its been a real good thing, lots of positive vibes and great people. Yeah I think I will be sticking around for quite awhile. As for the 100 lbs...awh...if I lose a 100...I lose a hundred...if I don't ...I don't no big deal. I'll still be lovable me! You see, the way I look at it is any postive forward movements in my life is always GOOD. I post the 100 lbs lost because...yes this is what I want, but it doesn't necessary have to be in a year. I will be happy to lose 50 lbs, but honestly, I think I am going to lose my first 50 lbs pretty easy. I say that because of my past experiences (yes I can be a yo-yo'er too - hopefully this time around though I will have conquered that). However, time will tell, my body may have changed a lot since the last time I did Atkins three years ago. So maybe I'll be luckly like last time and loose the first 50 quickly or maybe not .

Heck! You should just see me jumpin' for joy for the 8 lbs I've lost.

Now if I can get that excited over 8 lbs then I know I will be loosey goosey when I lose my 50 lbs and God willing when I DO lose the 100 lbs no one will be able to tell me that I didn't just win the lotto because I'm sure that's exactly how I'll feel. So, I don't mind broadcasting that I want to lose 100 lbs. I will not feel like a failure at all if I don't reach a 100 lbs in a year, but pyschologically I need to see that on my stats...it keeps me very focused.

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4

Last edited by 2007 : Sat, Jan-06-07 at 17:32.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 17:18
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I'd like to offer a bit of advice here.....what worked well for me was focusing on small goals....so I focused on the next 10 lbs only cause I could not look at that huge (114lbs)number....so for me, it was the next 10 and then the next 10 and then the next 10...and kept it going for myself that way.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 17:27

Yes, JudyNYC, I agree with you 100%. I have mini goals of 10 lbs each. Right now I'm just really focusing on how much weight I can lose before my birthday Feb 24th and I believe I can be at least 20 lbs down by then so that is I guess my immediate goal.

#57   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 17:42
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Thats a good goal and I think that you can do it!!

Happy early Birthday!! That'll be a great present to yourself!!

One of my favorite mottos is one that my mom used to say to me all the time: "God helps those who help themselves." I agree!!
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 17:53

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
One of my favorite mottos is one that my mom used to say to me all the time: "God helps those who help themselves." I agree!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Yes indeedie. Amen to that!

#59   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 21:07

Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

So many issues have been addressed in this thread.

As a physician, let me put in my two cents worth.

In terms of yo-yo dieting. Many are stress eaters and gain and lose weight in response to stress in their lives. Stess releases cortisol. Cortisol is a steroid. All doctors know steroids function as immune suppressants. So it is not surprising that a physician would report impaired immune function in yo-yo dieting.

I do not know a physician who would say obesity/overweight is healthy or say healthier than a yo yo dieter.

It is known to be healthier to be mildly overweight (less than 10% over ideal body weight) than to be underweight/anorexic or bulemic.

Again, this is just my humble opinion.
Karen, Ph.D. in Anatomy , M.D. family medicine board certified

p.s. just because one is trained in medicine does not mean one practices what they preach. It took me 50+ years to finally address my obesity. I know that obesity is just as rampant among physicians as it is the general population. Physicians face the same life issues that makes the rest of the world use food in unhealthy manner. And physicians are human, we do not all practice what we preach. As an obese patient I had compassion for my obese patients, but would not have been taken very seriously given advice on good nutritional practices.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 21:15

Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

Second issue, yes it is possible to lose 100 pounds in one year. A reasonable goal of weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. With 52 weeks in a year it is possible to safely lose 100 pounds in a year. However I would shoot a goal of between 50-100 pounds as more reasonable. It depends on how strict you are to your plan.

Rather than looking at the long term goal I would set up mini goals of ten pound increments or major landmarks like 25 pound losses, eg. 250, 225, 200.
You could celebrate each achieved mini goal still having the large goal in mind.

Next to have success, you need to have the mindset that this is a lifestyle change and not a diet. If you are going to eat this way the rest of your life it is not a race any longer. You have the rest of your life to get there, and slow and steady losses are known to be more permanent than quick weight losses.

How quickly you lose weight will be tied in to how heavy you are to start.
The larger you are the quicker the weight will come off, and the closer you are to goal the slower the weight will come off.

Be prepared to stall. I had two six month stalls in the first 110 pounds. I would still like to take off another ten pounds or so. However I don't care how long it takes for me to get there. If it takes more than a year so be it.
Maintaining the losses already achieved are just as important as the losses.

Hope this helps.
Karen