Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 19:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Oh yes, vitamin D defificiency has been linked with many maladies.

I have learned a great deal from Zules thread on vit D, the Great Vitamin D Experiment here on Active LC'er........

Here is the current thread
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...amin+Experiment
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 03:09

Stats: 154/124/120 Female 1.65
BF:
Progress:
Default Vitamin D

Hi,

If you want to know more about vit D go to Dr. Mercola'ssites, there will be lots and lots fo info about vit D
And he is not against eating meat at all, but is against all sugar and grains

Keep well,

South Afric( the one who started this threat and yes, I am back to low carbs)

By the way, I send Barry another e-mail in the last week, but no reply, a busy man, I guess....
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 11:49

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

No my friend was not over weight, in fact he was thinnner than he should have been.
He was one person whom, everyone thought was healthy because he hardly ever was sick not even with colds or allegeries.

I think alot of cancer is caused by toxins we breathe in the air now and things we eat with preserveties in them and also waste in the environment.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 12:10

Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've heard more than once that cancer cells feed on sugar.

So i would say a high-carb diet is much worse that LC in regards to cancer.

But all kinds of people seem to get cancer. Seems to be really hard to find any common denominator. So, me, I don't worry about it one bit.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 16:12

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I think undiagnosed Celiac disease is a HUGE contributor to stomach and intestinal cancers.

Having been diagnosed myself 3 years ago, after a lifetime of being told it is IBS, and eat white bread when it flares up.......has done so much more damage then they could ever imagine. Up to 30% of IBS sufferers are actually celiac.

Celiacs undiagnosed have a 4 times greater risk of stomach/intestinal cancers!!

So, if you suspect a gluten intolerance/allergy....get it tested!!!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 17:19

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndelacourt
I think undiagnosed Celiac disease is a HUGE contributor to stomach and intestinal cancers.

Having been diagnosed myself 3 years ago, after a lifetime of being told it is IBS, and eat white bread when it flares up.......has done so much more damage then they could ever imagine. Up to 30% of IBS sufferers are actually celiac.

Celiacs undiagnosed have a 4 times greater risk of stomach/intestinal cancers!!

So, if you suspect a gluten intolerance/allergy....get it tested!!!

Hi ndelacourt,

I agree. I also have celiac, and I had IBS FOR YEARS before I was properly diagnosed. I wouldn't be surprised about the cancer/celiac connection.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 16:45

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

With the cancer and low carb concept, here is something interesting in Wifezilla's blog. This is quite informative and it should make us all think.
http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...arb-cancer.html
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 17:35

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Here's a more recent one. (check the comments for a debate with a cancer researcher. Very interesting...LOL) http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...nd-glucose.html

And another nugget I uncovered recently...
" A new report in Environmental Nutrition says some of the most common cancers have now been linked to insulin resistance, which is why it's important for all of us to bring this risk down.

Researchers found that an “insulin-like growth factor” can fuel cancer cells, especially the cells linked to colon, breast, endometrial, and pancreatic cancer."
http://www.13wham.com/guides/health...24-ebeffdf9671e
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 20:38

BF:

Regarding Anonymous on your blog: If a substance did anything to the human body comparable to what sugar does it is labeled a poison. The sun has been condemed for causing skin cancer and people protect themselves with sunscreen,hats and protective clothing only to acquire vitamin D deficiency which leads to scores of illnesses. But the more evil, sugar proves to be, the more it is defended,leading to evils exceeding the perceived dangers of sunlight...something just ain't right here.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 22:14

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 236/199/125 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 33%

My vegetarian fiance died of stomach cancer.

On almost a daily basis, I tear myself apart wondering if he'd still be alive if only I'd discovered this WoE earlier. It ain't fun.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 01:30

Plan: none yet I am pescetarian
Stats: 318/252/224 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:

I was vegetarian for years and still got Helicobacter pylori which is a bacteria causing reflux and acid overproduction and strongly associated with stomach cancer. Cutting right down on sugars and processed foods has given me great relief.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 20:35

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 236/199/125 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 33%

See, that's what I'm fretting over. I know I can't change the past, and I really did try to get him to eat meat (succeeded with chicken a couple times) but his family kept berating him about "dead animals" etc.

I just wonder, sometimes. Often, in fact.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 21:51

BF:

KFangirl, I can feel your pain. I have articles and comments on this site about how low carb diets can treat prostate cancer and asthma...let alone diabetes. All of these run in my family and I feel that I have to stand back and watch them come down with a preventable diease. So I understand that shouda, woulda, coulda feeling. So sorry that you lost your fiance I hope that something positive can be achieved from your loss. Best wishes go out to you and your family.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-18-09, 09:37

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog
Who are you referring to, the author of Eat Fat, GET Thin, Dr. Barry Groves? I've read on his site that he HAD cancer, but no longer has it. He credits the low-carb diet for helping him cure it, not the cause of it. His on-site biography states that he feels a diet of processed foods contributed to his cancer, not a low-carb diet.

This is an old thread, but still interesting. You can read Groves's story about his colon cancer here:
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/why_me.html

This was of interest:
"At the time my cancer was removed, there were three in the village where I live with the same disease. We all had the same treatment in the same hospital by the same surgeon. The others followed their consultant's advice to eat more fibre and cut down on fats. I am the only one who didn't — and I am the only one who survived."

The scary part, to me, was this comment:
"I was told later that to reach the size my cancer had would have taken between ten and fifteen years. That meant that it had started between 1977 and 1982."

He goes on to say how badly he was eating in that timeframe, as he had something he could tie it to - and ate lots of sandwiches with wholemeal bread, salad cream with polyunsaturatred vegetable oils, etc.

But of course the scary part is that here I am doing my best to eat a healthy and healing diet - yet who knows what timebombs may be lurking in my body from all the bad eating *I* did over the last 10-15 years!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 18:54

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Merpig, you bring up a great point and have offered some fantastic quotes from Barry Groves himself.

It astounds me how many people think the only reason to do Low Carb (insert good WOE name here) is to lose weight!! NOT TRUE!! I do the low carb thing for total health, not just to magically turn my beer gut into abs!

When I have anything, and I mean anything off plan, I know it!! And, my blood tests show it too!

Who knows what stuff lay ahead for folks like me who lived 38 years of riotous living, excessive junk food and alcohol consumption etc..... I am doing everything I can to try and let those close to me know what I am discovering and most look at me like a dog looks at an answering machine!

It is very tough to watch a loved one run full bore at the garden rake laying in the yard. You know they are gonna get it in the kisser, but they won't listen till they want to listen, or they get some diet related health issues. But sadly, many still don't listen even then....(been there done that, got the t shirt)

You cannot make someone do something....they have to want to. And that is the trick....to try and ram the WOE down their throat, well....one risks being overbearing or labeled as a diet snob....

Love em where they are at and concern yourself with yourself or any LC buddies you may have....IMHO.

Last edited by ProfGumby : Wed, May-20-09 at 19:00.