Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 21:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/223/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 15%

I have always had low blood pressure, and that was one of the reasons I stopped last time & went to WW. I take sodium supplements to help, I just need to keep up with the vitamin regimen.....
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

I actually don't know anyone on WW that does frozen dinners. My mom is on it and cooks low-fat dinners, and eats lots of fruit and veggies.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 23:30
Registered Member

BF:

BTW, sometimes *I* eat the Weight Watchers dinners and some of them are low enough carb to work in. In fact, I'm having one tomorrow as Friday is my day off so I don't cook and pack a lunch like I would for work.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 14:37

Plan: PPLP/Paleo
Stats: 189/194.4/145 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: -12%

I find WW to be more consumed and driven by numbers than anything else.

I watched the 'expert' tell a woman to longer work out with weights or run. This women had thick thighs, it was genetics, and for whatever reason she could not accept that about herself- as beautiful as she is. She also taught spin class several times a week. This woman was fit!

Focusing on weight only as a measurement, I could lose body fat, gain a few pounds of muscle, walk in there, get weighed and not lose anything on the scale. From their view point, I accomplished nothing.

Maybe WW as a starting point is good. But at some point you have to take it a step further for your health
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 16:11

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty12550
She also taught spin class several times a week.
I don't know why, but every time that I hear about a person spinning, I thing of them using a spinning wheel.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 17:52
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I don't know why, but every time that I hear about a person spinning, I thing of them using a spinning wheel.

Now I have that song stuck in my head... thanks...

<wanders off singing "What goes up, must come down...spinning wheel, got to go round...." >
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 17:28

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

I really don't know how WW works, when I tried to do it I was STARVING, I mean 20 points a day was like no food!! Anyone I know on it is hungry, they just say they get used to the 'hungry feeling'. Sounds like a livable long term plan to me!

And the worst thing about it also is they don't care if you get your 20 points from 3 Mars bars or from vegetables and wholefoods!

THANK GOD I FOUND LOW CARB

#38   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 18:16
Twinkle Toes

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/280/150 Female 5 feet 1 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessrhi
Maybe all weight loss companies with a product line, in the end, kinda wanna keep you hooked...

I think you hit the nail right on the top of the head, mhmm.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 18:49

Plan: ANA meets BFL
Stats: 205/153/155 Male 5'7"
BF:36%/10%/10%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
LC: Figure out what to cook, then eat, five separate times, while often cooking highcarb for family, or after getting off work late or on the way to the kids' soccor or karate practice so not much time, fixing it and storing it if any extra, calculate all the carbs, calories, fiber, protein in the dish and any variations you had from the recipe where you found it, use a digital scale for any degree of accuracy, do the dishes --

Bingo. This is really the only drawback of low carb eating: it's really hard to do day in and day out. If you don't plan ahead, you WILL go off your program, there no way around it.

Quote:
An Atkins bar won't hurt anybody whose body doesn't react to all that sugar (no matter what its origin) and some carbs, but the whole concept of that and the drinks are no different really than other eating plans that have pre-packaged foods.

The Atkins shakes are really good. Totally on plan, helps speed up progress, and super tasty. I consider them a staple, just wish they didn't cost so much. The bars, I agree though. I realize marketing products is what drives the corporation, but it just sucks that they use Dr. Atkins' name to sell products that are against his own plan.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 18:52
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka
The Atkins shakes are really good. Totally on plan, helps speed up progress, and super tasty. I consider them a staple, just wish they didn't cost so much. The bars, I agree though. I realize marketing products is what drives the corporation, but it just sucks that they use Dr. Atkins' name to sell products that are against his own plan.
I use low-carb SlimFast mostly now - 2g net carbs, no sugar alcohols, and 20g protein, which is higher than the Atkins shakes. And most important - they are a WHOLE lot cheaper.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 21:44
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I didn't know slim-fast had lowcarb!

No kidding, my sister once did a taste test with me and we concluded that slimfast vanillla plus or something like that, tasted nearly identical to Carnation instant breakfast, but had even MORE nutrition -- and costs a tiny fraction of what that stuff did.

Now, if I could drink milk without reacting like a heroin addict to it and craving sugar and more milk all day, that would be cool. Sigh.

I shouldn't complain. I have already found many foods that I think are so yummy.... I have never eaten as good as I have since I went lowcarb, not when I had the 'universe of food' to choose from.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 22:02
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah...it's called "SlimFast low-carb diets" or something. I have found them at Lucky's drug stores and WalMart.

They only come in chocolate and vanilla. Check 'em out!

SlimFast has four different kinds of shakes so make sure you get the one that says "Low Carb Diet" on the front.

http://www.enutritionshop.com/produ...?SKW=SLILCSHAKE

It's cheaper in the stores than online.

Don't buy their bars - sugar alcohols galore.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 22:18

Plan: ANA meets BFL
Stats: 205/153/155 Male 5'7"
BF:36%/10%/10%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
I use low-carb SlimFast mostly now - 2g net carbs, no sugar alcohols, and 20g protein, which is higher than the Atkins shakes. And most important - they are a WHOLE lot cheaper.

Unfortunately, they don't sell the low carb SlimFast products in Canada (not in this market anyway). The few SlimFast products we do have are LOADED with sugar, have next to no protein, and cost just as much as the Atkins' ones.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-06, 10:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:Heh. You're funny.
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absinthe62
Is this an evil plot by WW to keep dieters forever fat lifetime members?

Unfortunately, there's really no need. I think WW will have plenty of clients for a long while, until our entire country as a whole gets its head out of its hiney about how we eat.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-06, 11:46

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

LC doesn't have to require that much planning or preparation. Deli meats, sliced cheeses, a rotisserie chicken, a bag of salad, a flat of berries, a can of nuts, a carton of cottage cheese, just a few examples of lazy options.

Fast food-wise, there's the fancy salads at McD or Wendy's, sometimes the ranch dressings have 10g of carbs but even that is not so bad (or bring your own bottle of 2g stuff). And Hardees will make any of their burgers LC style for you, they have a nice selection good burgers.

Restaurants are even possible, most will give you a veggie instead of potato. Or just about any decent buffet will have enough low carb options to satisfy. I'll even eat fried chicken and slaw from KFC, pulling off the breading of course. Not really cost-effective that way, but it can be done.

You really don't have to whip out a three-course meal every time.