Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 00:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

Yep, as someone who once was whipping cream and left it too long in the mixer - where it "churned" itself into buttery bits of gold - can attest, there's nothing quite like home-made butter!

Aside from that, I've never tasted truly fresh churned butter. I envy my LC friends who live where such fresh food is available.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 09:58

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 237/183/155 Female 5'7"
BF:Plenty, thanks.
Progress: 66%

Zer, It's pretty easy to find a churn at an estate auction or antique shop.Ebay has them frequently too. Buy some full fat heavy cream (see if you can find a local dairy and get it really fresh) add a pinch of salt and start churning. I roll mine into a log and wrap in cheese cloth to wick out the residual fluid. Then I cut it into useable pieces wrap and freeze.
Luckily my kids love to churn so I get peace for a half hour, they have fun, and we all get a treat when its done.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 08:40
Registered Member

Sandra, you make my mouth water at the idea of fresh-churned butter. I think of it as I scrape a taste of my Irish Butter (yum) and someone at table glances at the knife I'm licking at. I'm sure it's a scandal, this buttery snacking that I'm doing. Don't care!

Oh, just look what Heather-in-Sweden is talking about in her journal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockermom
We also got butter with the flavor of peppers to have on the meat!
I've got to know more about this. What sort of peppers are we talking here? Hot? Sweet? Or peppercorns? Enquiring mind wants to know!
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 17:39

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I too, am a butter snacker. I wasn't until I read this thread. Everyday, I suppliment my fat intake with a couple pieces of real butter right out of the fridge. I just break off a piece and pop it in my mouth and let it melt on my tongue. It is wonderful. My kids are grossed out by it, but my recent cholesterol tests showed my results as optimal. When the nurse asked what I do to keep my numbers so good, I almost told her I ate meat, cheese, salads, and of course lot's of real butter!!!
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 18:42

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

Billie Bailey licked a block of better butter
If Billie Bailey licked a block of better butter,
then how many calories did Billie Bailie lick?

If the thought of eating butter had ever occured to me, after reading the other replies, I think I would never do it again, just from the repulsive sound of it all.........

I bet if I thought long enough, there is bound to be something I eat that probably would repulse someone else...... so, if anyone reads this and enjoys eating butter straight up, "Would the next butter step up to the plate?"........
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 21:48
Registered Member

Not all butters are worthy of being licked off a knife. Some are. I'm not sure about a bite of butter, but a curl of butter melts in my mouth so sweetly that I'm satisfied with that alone. Yum!

How many calories in a teaspoon of butter? A curl of butter is barely that, with 6tsp to an ounce. I figure butter at maybe 200 calories per ounce, or 100 calories per Tbs (3tsp). Not ba-a-ad! Bring on the butter! Yum!
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 05:30

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I was dying yesterday on my second day of induction! Desperately needed food (not LC), so slicing of tiny bits of butter to suck on while fixing a non-LC dinner (that I wasn't home to eat!) really helped. I wouldn't have been able to make it without the butter.

For me, bites are gross, but letting it melt is yummy!
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 16:26

Plan: CAD / CALP
Stats: 190/220/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Butter and Cream

I love to have a few ounces of pure cream.

Tastes so good when it is really cold.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 23:30
Registered Member

Cream and cream cheese are so luxurious that I seldom have them on hand. But both do give me a rush of sorts if I just let my mouth play with the richness of a taste - lingeringly rich.

Butter is more readily available. My butter snacking is much less than the amount of butter I'd put on a slice of toast. I'm ahead of the calorie game as well as the carb game when I take just a curl of butter scraped off the top of a block of butter. Yum! It really tops off a craving. Well, so does a big green olive. Fats!

I'm thinking that my daily dose of fish oil by the spoonful is as much a treat, although it's not nearly as nifty a taste as is a buttery curl - about a quarter-tsp's worth. Yes, just a bit o' butter will "do" me! Never got off so cheap with chocolate!
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 08:09
Registered Member

Happy New Year from SoCal at 6am Monday morn! I offer this to inspire you: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...&postcount=2979

I'm thinking to chop myself some fresh herbs for an herby butter to roll into a nice nosh. Might add a bit of Asiago stinky cheese to create a savory buttery nosh, something to melt atop a hot sizzling burger for a bit of posh buttery eating. Just for me!
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-07, 08:26

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I love this post. Happy New Year to all of you! After reading this, I am going to have to go and get a M&M size piece of butter and pop it in !! mmmmmmmmmm I LOVE BUTTER
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 18:09
Registered Member

Stats: 175/175/158 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am new and have read and read and read.............this thread just cracked me up.
You guys are great.
xo
Patkid
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 18:15
Registered Member

Patkid, welcome to a super support site. Keep on chortling!
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 12:29
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I have to tell you this. During Christmas my sister made these yummy cookies I just couldn't get away from! Then it hit me! I liked them cause they were buttery!! It was the butter flavor not the sugar that was calling to me. My sister gave me a plate of cookies and I went home with them. I remembered this thread and had a tsp of butter let it melt on my tough. I actually felt guilty but I didn't crave the cookies!
Now I'm wondering if it would taste good in coffee. Its creamy and all... hmmm....
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 20:05
Registered Member

Someone on this list shows butter in coffee or tea on a food diary; I don't remember who it is. Some folks use coconut oil in coffee or tea. Getting that fat in brings up the satisfaction level and cuts down on cravings. I quit coffee when I stopped using milk - my drug of choice as carbs go - and I wonder if butter is something I'd like in a hot cuppa java. Not salted butter, right?