Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-06, 19:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/161/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Tonight I made a delicious pot roast, and when I got a nice big slice on my plate I put a thin pat of butter on it. OH MY was it GOOD!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-06, 19:43
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

I love Butter, it is my all time favorite fat.
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-06, 19:53
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

While I thought Ioved butter, I find that a pound of butter in the butter keeper on my kitchen counter now goes "funny" in less than 6 weeks. Never used to, but then I used it up much more quickly. I always buy unsalted. Just not much to put it on these days. I'm using coconut oil instead of butter a lot of the time. I love the taste of the coconut butter.

Kay
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 22:47
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I CONFESS! I was a butter snacker. But I finally figured out that it was really the SALT I was after. This might have been because, for years, I hardly added any salt at all to my food, but of course, I used a lot of commercially prepared foods back then, too, which are known for their high salt content.

It's possible that, now that I am making my own food from fresh ingredients, completely avoiding sugar, and drinking so much water every day, my body was telling me that my electrolytes were getting out of balance. I simply began adding a tiny bit of salt to some of my food, and the craving for butter seems to have vanished.
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-06, 22:51
Registered Member

Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%

For sure, with all the water that passes through us, we all need to listen to our bodies for signals that we need to supplement sodium and potassium and other minerals that are flushed out. Celery is a good source of sodium, if you are looking for a natural source. Otherwise, sea salt carries a nice dose of minerals that benefit a body. I'm learning to listen to my body's hummy talk.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-06, 06:28
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 248/252/215 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi,

I didn't read through all 6 pages or so of replies, but I did a search and no one seems to have mentioned one of my favorite cheeses, called St. André . It's a triple cream soft cheese that I find tastes like butter, but better. It's much creamier and saltier, but it's heavenly. It's also a lot more expensive than butter, but I feel its worth it.

G
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-06, 09:45

Stats: 215/161/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

That sounds delicious! I have never heard of it, but then again I am not a chesse conniseur(I am certain I just spelled that wrong, but you get what I mean lol)
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-06, 10:06

Stats: 225/143/155 Female 5'10''
BF:38%/21.4%/24.9%
Progress: 117%

I swear I just spent an hour educating myself about cheese on that site. However, I can't justify buying an eighty-pound wheel of gruyere for 1000k, no matter how much I like it!

As for the butter snacking, I've found myself taking little nibbles here and there. While I can never envision myself biting off a chunk of cold butter from a stick straight from the fridge, I find myself experimenting with little 1/4 teaspoons here and there. You people are a bad influence!

However, I did take this thread to heart and made a canister of pumpkin spice butter to melt over Pumpkin Creamcheese Mug Muffins and pumpkin mock danishes (which, when cooled, taste like pumpkin pie).

I mixed butter with raw pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, some vanilla and Splenda. It. Rocks. So. Hard. It smells like those pumpkin pie candles and tastes great by itself or melted over something breadish (rightnow, I'm stealing your word!).

Butter snacking. Who'd have thought?
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-06, 14:26
Butter is Better!

Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

oh wow amory! that sounds great! I love pumpkin stuff And I still snack on straight butter, too, I tried a lot of different coconut oils, but always had to choke it down, but I love butter
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-06, 16:40
Registered Member

Thanks for adding this new (to me) cheese to our ButterSnacker list of lovely fats we snack on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantical
...one of my favorite cheeses... called St. André . It's a triple cream soft cheese that I find tastes like butter, but better. It's much creamier and saltier, but it's heavenly. It's also a lot more expensive than butter, but I feel its worth it.
Oh, this sounds so good to me. How many ounces is 200g?
Quote:
Packaging Option ~... Package Price
200 Gram Portion ...~ $13.25~
4.5 lb Wheel ~... $80.58~
Just over 7oz, at almost $2/oz, plus p&h. It's pretty pricey. I'm going to start looking for this cheese at Trader Joe's, where there are already more cheeses than I've tasted. That reminds me, I've got some Asiago - both aged hard and fresh soft - in the fridge. Yum! My favorite stinky cheese is Asiago, as I can get a lot of satisfaction out of a sliver and save myself some carbs. I used to eat slabs of cheese. No more!
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-06, 19:58

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

After reading articles by Weston A. Price and by Dr. Mary Enig, I tried to find butter from grass-fed cows, which is higher in vitamins A and D. It seems the Kerrygold Irish butter is made from pastured cows -- it tastes so good and is a beautiful deep yellow when melted. It seems to be available in many stores around here, like Fred Meyer and PCC. Dr. Price used to treat starving children with high-vitamin butter oil made from butter by centrifugal force. I noticed that our healthfood store had some imported and high-priced butters. The higher the price, the more vitamin A they seem to have.

When I first started to reduce my portion sizes of protein, I found that just a little nibble of butter slowly melting in my mouth seemed to help round out the meal. Gosh, I've given up so many other things like fruit, grains and most dairy that I have no guilt whatsoever.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 05:27
Registered Member

Oh, I did not know about the better butter from grass-fed cows! I've been enjoying Kerrygold Irish Butter from Trader Joe's for some time now, occasionally buying butter from other sources - but oh what a difference in taste that other butter has. Now I'm now more curious than ever to locate grass-fed beef, to see if it also has a better taste - as well as more nutritional value.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Nov-21-06, 13:45

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Everything tastes better with butter!!
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 04:06
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

I like grass-fed beef. I used to know a fellow who had a dairy farm, and when the cows got too old to produce well, they became beef. He gave me a lot, anytime I wanted some, which was often.

It definitely has a somewhat different taste than the grain-fed beef we buy in the grocery stores. I don't find it unpleasant at all, but I've heard that some people do. It's a bit stronger in flavor, but not nearly as strong as wild meat, such as venison.

I wasn't aware that there was a special butter from grass-fed cows. Every dairy cow I've ever seen, and there are many dairies in my area, spends most of it's life out feeding in the pasture. There are several different types of butters with much higher fat contents than those which are commonly available at the average grocery store or supermarket. Over on a site called Chef2Chef, there is a wonderful thread about different kinds of butter. I learned everything I ever wanted to know about butter, and then some!
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-06, 21:53

Stats: 237/183/155 Female 5'7"
BF:Plenty, thanks.
Progress: 66%

AuntJoyce, I mis-read your post, and at first thought it said "made from pasturized cows". I nearly fell out of my chair laughing, picturing those poor cows being pasturized. Once I re-read it, I realized I need to either get hooked on phonics or some better glasses. Oh well,it was good fun.
As for butter, nothing beats fresh home churned with a touch of salt. Yum-O!