Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I walk a mile a day either outdoors or at home. I know that doesn't sound like much but I have joint problems so it is a BIG accomplishment for me.

Also, my husband has set up a home gym in our basement with a fixed weight machine, free weights (barbells & dumbbells), a stationary bike, a treadmill, workout mats and a TV with VCR for exercise tapes including Leslie Samsone's WATP. So I am pretty well set. I try to workout a minimum of 3 times a week.

Even though I am 60 years old, I aim to keep as active as possible.

p.s. Thanks for those links. I will check them out.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 10:09

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally posted by fluffybear
Even though I am 60 years old, I aim to keep as active as possible.

Good for you! ... and you might find this article of interest too:

Quote:
Don't lose it - just use it

The over-55s are colonising the nation's gyms - but is it a good idea to work up a sweat in later life? Absolutely, says Peta Bee

Thursday April 27, 2006
The Guardian
London, UK

Slowing down and developing a thickened girth used to be an accepted side effect of getting on a bit. Not any more. Britain's grey army is limbering, toning and speeding up like never before and represents the fastest growing sector of the fitness industry. Around one in 10 Britons age 55-64 and one in 20 over-65s are now members of gym or health clubs, while many more keep fit by exercising regularly.

The majority of first-time triathletes are over 40 too. Encouraged by evidence that exercise prolongs life, wards off killer diseases and prevents mental decline, older people cannot, apparently, get enough of working out.
While exercise is good for everyone, it is, apparently, even better for older people and in Britain, 32% of the population - 18.6 million people - is over 50. The number is expected to rise to 23.8 million by 2012. A recent study by the University of Washington found that, of former couch potatoes, those aged 65-79 who jogged or cycled for half an hour three times a week experienced a 30% rise in how effectively their bodies use energy) compared with a 2% rise in those aged 20-33.

Researchers are also convinced that getting older is not a barrier to staying super fit. "Studies have shown that the lung capacity and cardiovascular fitness of people in their 50s and 60s is no worse than when they were in their 30s and 40s," saya Ceri Diss, a sport scientist at Roehampton University, Surrey, who is researching the effects of age on running performance. "Aerobic ability remains pretty constant provided someone stays active," she says. When 60-70-year-old men and women ran for 45 minutes on four days a week, one study recently found that their aerobic capacity increased by 24% in less than a year. However, flexibility and elasticity, which affect power and speed, do deteriorate with age.

But age is no bar to marathon runners. Around 4,000 of those who finished last Sunday's London event were over 40. Previous winners include Joyce Smith, the first woman across the finishing line in the first London marathon in 1981, aged 43; she repeated her victory the following year. Two years ago, at 92, Fauja Singh a world-record breaking marathon runner in his age group, from Ilford, Essex, signed a deal with Adidas to co-front a major advertising campaign featuring David Beckham and rugby player Jonny Wilkinson. Singh had only taken up running 11 years earlier. You don't have to run to be fit, though. Penny Hilling is far more limber at 80 than many people a quarter of her age who attend the yoga class she teaches in Leighton Buzzard. "A lot of it is down to attitude," she says.

A study of marathon runners published two years ago in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, written by Professor Peter Jokl, an orthopaedic surgeon at Yale University School of Medicine, analysed the finishing times of 415,000 runners in the New York marathon between 1983 and 1999. Finishers in the older age groups had improved more markedly than younger runners. In the 60-68 age group, women ran an average four minutes faster each year. It confirms, Jokl says, that "you can maintain a very high performance into the sixth or seventh decade of life." It also adds weight to the theory that a lot of people grow weaker not because of age, but because they don't use their muscles.

Whichever activity you choose, there will be benefits to your waistline, blood pressure and self-esteem. Walking, skipping and climbing stairs are especially good for building bone density, which weakens with age (and lack of weight-bearing activity) in both men and women. Or why not try weight training? Sports scientists at Texas University found that weight training for six months improved the sleep quality as well as fitness levels of 70-80 year-olds by an average 38%.

Ultimately, though, any activity is better than nothing. In last month's Journal of Aging and Health, researchers at the University of South Florida divided volunteers with an average age of 84 into three groups. One group exercised by walking, the second did weight training and the third group did no exercise. After four months both of the exercise groups had lower blood pressure, improved body strength, better flexibility and higher scores in tests of balance and coordination compared with their sedentary counterparts. That then is the message: it doesn't matter what you do, just as long as you do something.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/health/st...1762322,00.html
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 10:11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
OK, here’s what I do …

My lifting knowledge comes from using an excellent book called the Body Sculpting Bible for Women which I’d recommend to newbie and experienced lifter alike – an excellent resource for technique, form, workout schedules etc.

I just bought the Body Sculpting Bible for Women and it is really helpful. It isn't easy to find a workout book with good illustrations. There are some demos online, but my computer is on the second floor of my home and my gym is in the basement. I am getting so old I can't remember how to do them if I don't have the illustrated exercise right in front of my face! LOL
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 10:13
Registered Member

Default Thanks Demi!!

I have printed out all the stuff you posted on this subject. It is really helpful.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 08:30

BF:

In case anyone is looking for a good programme, here's one which was serialised in a British newspaper earlier this year. It's by a top British personal trainer, Matthew Robinson, and is entitled Get Fit in 12 Weeks!

Matthew Robinson introduces his new fitness plan
Week one: Getting started
Week two: Upping the ante
Week three: Increasing your stamina
Week four: Harder, longer, faster
Week five: Looking ahead
Week six: Cross training
Week seven: Alone no more
Week eight: Onwards and upwards
Week nine: Think positive
Week 10: Nearly there
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-06, 10:38

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Demi- Thanks for posting all those exercise links. I'm going to be very busy checking them all out.

I have just started South Beach and I have started walking again. Yesterday I walked 8002 steps, so I was pretty proud of myself. I used to do weight training, but sustained an injury to my shoulder and find many of the upper body exercises difficult to do now. I am going to be researching though and trying some out to see what I can do that won't irritate my shoulder.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 07:10

BF:
Default The Walking Workout

As recommended in yesterday's Lean Plate CLub (Washington Post), Family Circle recommend five ways to ramp up your walking workout:

The Walking Workout

There is also a great link to: America's Running Routes, which is a great database of running/walking routes in the US.

Another good route planner is the Gmaps Pedometer, which you can use use to plot your route anywhere in the world.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-06, 04:58

BF:
Default Gym shirkers unite!

An interesting article about why we should be 'active':

Quote:
Gym shirkers unite!

A good boogie, Hoovering or sex might feel like a high-impact work-out but are we kidding ourselves? Vicky Frost investigates

Thursday, October 5, 2006
The Guardian
London, UK

The path to a portly tummy is paved with good intentions: empty promises of pre-work yoga, lunchtime running, evening gym sessions. Britain is riddled with twice-worn swimming costumes, barely broken-in trainers and sports bras greying glumly at the bottom of the knicker drawer. We are a nation united by its abandoned sportswear, common ambition to make it to the gym, and a collective excuse: "I didn't have time."

If the government could raise a tax on this phrase, it would probably have enough cash to buy every single adult their own personal trainer.

Meanwhile, we try and make our own amends. Really, who needs shouty people in Lycra when there are desk-squats, stair-climbs and walking to the shop to fit into a busy morning?

Don't pretend you don't understand what I'm on about. All those attempts to make up for our gym slackness: running up escalators, doing a bit of Pilates-lite while lying in front of the telly, two hours enthusiastic disco dancing at that wedding last weekend (which got especially high-impact when Wham! came on).

Everybody is at it - gym-shirkers on a mission to rack up bonus exercise points in the fight against heart disease, cancer and cream cakes.

The problem is, none of us really knows if all this covert exercise action is having any effect. We have no ammunition when our binge exercising colleagues belittle our efforts and scoff at our brags of extra-curricular ambling. Surely, every little helps?

Asker Jeukendrup, professor of exercise metabolism at Birmingham University, has some cheering news. "It all depends on what your goal is," he says. "To get the health benefits, there is no need to do sport or go to the gym, just being physically active is enough."

But, it transpires, there's active, and there's active. "Millions of years ago," says Jeukendrup, "humans' physical activity levels were really high. Now we think activity, like the Tour de France, is totally extreme. But then, it would have been normal."

So while the average office worker burns about 2,300 calories a day, our ancestors would have been using around 5,500. You are unlikely to make up the difference by getting off the bus a couple of stops early. Or even a couple of miles early.

Thankfully, Jeukendrup reckons office workers only need to up their daily energy expenditure by 500 calories: "That's probably an hour's worth of walking. But you could do half-an-hour of walking, and then be more physically active, instead of sitting down and watching television."

Doesn't sound too gruelling, does it? It's like the official Department of Health advice: adults should do 30 minutes of moderate activity (ie it makes you breath harder and, perhaps, sweat a bit, such as a brisk walk) at least five times a week. Perfectly sensible, and perfectly attainable.

Ken Fox, professor of exercise and health sciences at Bristol University, says: "We are not in trouble because people aren't going to the gym and playing sport - the reason we're in trouble, is we've stopped being active in our general routines."

Almost any movement is helpful - and for those of us with rather more than our fair share of the nation's collective tummy, walking is one of the best things we can do as it uses our own body weight.

But while that means a stroll round the shops can be good for you - although a brisk trot would be far more beneficial - you have not necessarily "earned" that piece of cake and glass of wine at the end of an exhausting afternoon. "It is dangerous if the reason you are increasing your activity is for energy balance," says Fox. "You can overestimate how much activity you've done, and underestimate how much you've eaten. The equation is always unbalanced - it gets biased towards what people want to hear."

Damn those exercise boffins, always trampling on our fitness plans. "We should be building exercise into our lives, and accepting it as part of our daily routine," Fox says.

You don't need to do it all at once - 10-minute bursts of activity are effective too. Half-an-hour of digging or shovelling in the garden can burn 250 calories, with 105 for weeding and 100 for raking. Moderate Hoovering, or mopping, will burn 160 calories an hour. Even clothes shopping is good exercise, especially when trying on different outfits - you can expect to burn around 100 calories an hour; 20 to 25 minutes washing and waxing the car can also dispose of 100. You'll also improve flexibility and upper body strength. And, of course, there's sex - half-an-hour of which can use up 120 to 180 calories. Kerry McCloskey, who wrote a book on the subject, claims she sometimes even clears the 350 calorie mark. "This is roughly the equivalent of briskly walking, running, or lifting weights for 30 minutes," she says.

But you do need to keep these things in check. Two hours of dancing on a Saturday night after downing your own body weight in booze, will not give you the figure of a dancer. Lucy Banfield is a member of the ensemble for the West End show, Dirty Dancing - and if you want be as fit as she is, you'll have to work hard. "When we're rehearsing we usually start at 10 and finish at six. It will be learning a new dance and going over it again, and again, so rehearsing can be harder than doing a show," she says. Even when she's performing in the evening, Lucy will attend dance classes and keep up with her Pilates.

So while it is perfectly possible to stay healthy and fit, without ever having to enter a gym - so long as you actually do walk to work, rather than just thinking about it - we shouldn't start closing down leisure centres quite yet. For a start, if you're looking to improve muscle tone, or add bulk, using specific gym equipment will be the most effective way. Second, the reason why we joined in the first place - to force ourselves to exercise more - is still an important factor. "At the gym there are more performance markers, so you can see your improvement because you can do something for longer, or do it better," says Jeukendrup. "It's a way of motivating yourself."

Signs of improvement are not so obvious in everyday life. Many sports scientists are reluctant to give average calorie-burning statistics on, say, vacuuming, as they differ wildly according to each person.

Be reassured, however, that panting up and down the office stairs - 15 to 20 minutes = around 100 calories - bottle of water in each hand, is in no way a waste of time.

See you in the top-floor meeting room for some quick star jumps.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/health/st...1887883,00.html
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-06, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 238/238/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I worked out a lot this past week and I really think it helped me get a 5 lb loss. I wasn't working out much before this. I do the treadmill for 30 minutes and that means a mile and half walk. I'm very out of shape! lol I also do resistance machines at the gym and some pilates for abs at home. My plan is to do cardio about 5 times a week, resistance 3 and pilates 4
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-06, 08:44

Plan: Out of LC Maintenance
Stats: 254/128/128 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Mini-me
Progress: 100%

I walk one hour each three days a week and strength train twice a week for
an hour each session. Twice a month, my husband and I hike.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 06:37

BF:
Default Skipping!

Here's a great way to work out, and one that you don't need to go to the gym for or use any expensive equipment:

Quote:
The playground sport is right back in fashion, reports Nicholas Roe

The Daily Telegraph
London, UK
9 October, 2006

A rope screams through the air at 200 revs a minute, energy is burned at the jaw-sagging rate of 1,300 calories an hour and miracles of physical activity are performed in front of cheering crowds. Welcome to the new, super-cool world of... skipping.

Once considered childish, this ancient playtime skill is making a comeback. And what's emerging is not just an effective route to mass fitness for little outlay (£5 buys a decent rope), but a new place for Britain's young athletes in a growing international sport that's intriguing to watch.

Fiercely competitive, hugely intricate and physically demanding, skipping - aka rope-jumping - also shows signs of being, quite literally, the new rock'n' roll. Singer James Morrison recently featured a team of competition skippers in his music video You Give Me Something.

Meanwhile, Britain's best skippers returned from the World Rope Jumping Championships in Canada this summer with a creditable fourth place.

Four years ago the British Rope Skipping Association (BRSA) started trying to raise the profile of the sport, persuading television shows such as Blue Peter to focus on the subtle intricacies of rope work, which can involve 200 different kinds of "jump". Directors loved the fancy footwork and youthful profile.

Huge efforts were also being ploughed into getting skipping back into the playground. This year saw Britain notching up a new world record when 7,632 children skipped continuously for three minutes in 85 locations, backed by teachers who consider rope-work to be a great way to improve youth fitness.

"Skipping went out of fashion because video games and PlayStations came along," says Sue Dale, secretary of the BRSA. "But teachers are now pushing to bring it back."

Dale says that young people are instantly amazed at what is possible with just a simple rope. Her own daughters, Beci, 18, and Rachael, 17, started as seven-year-olds and now skip for Britain: "We skip four or five times a week for two or three hours at a time," says Rachael. "It's fun."

And this is the key. Although basic skipping is simple, and almost anyone with five square feet of free space can do it, there's a genuinely attractive art to higher-level work. Half a dozen clubs in Britain regularly compete.

In speed contests, the world record is 188 jumps in 30 seconds. More creatively, rope-jumpers use one or even two long ropes held by team members to perform cartwheels, push-ups, handstands and aerial leaps while dodging a rope spinning at 200 rpm.

Skipping for 10 minutes is said to be the equivalent of 30 minutes jogging, and it tones the upper body as well as legs. The truly extraordinary thing, perhaps, is that this antique pastime ever lost its mass appeal in the first place.

Although the trend has been reversed, one remaining challenge is that many young men still consider skipping an off-puttingly effeminate activity. This is surprising, given that boxers rely on skipping for endurance training. And when was Mike Tyson ever a wuss?

Jump-in-a-box

The British Rope Skipping Association offers information and rope sales: www.brsa.org.uk.

If you are starting skipping from scratch, buy a lightweight rope long enough to stand on with the handles at your armpit.

Wear good trainers to absorb the bounce DStart with just 30 seconds of skipping and then stretch, rest, and try again.

Vary the jump.

www.jumpropeinstitute.com offers illustrations of various tricks, such as alternate step, skier's jump and half-twisted.

Aim to skip three to four times a week for 10 minutes a session in two-minute bursts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/m...09/ixhmain.html
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-06, 08:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 168/153/140 Male 5 feet 3 inches short
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hey Demi...

Awesome thread I used to skip rope a lot...but got out of it for some reason. I used to skip for 30 - 50 minutes depending on my mood. I guess I really should start again before I gain much more weight
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 08:49

BF:

Thanks Tim!

If anyone else has got any articles, ideas etc., that they'd like to add to the thread, then please feel free to do so.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 08:58

BF:
Default Countdown to fitness: Gabby Logan's ten-minute toners

I came across this great series of exercises in The Times earlier this year, and thought it would be good to add them here - just click on each link to bring up the exercises involved for that part of the body:

Haven’t got time for the gym? Gabby Logan demonstrates three exercises that can be done together in just ten minutes and tackle a specific part of your body.

Legs
Bottom
Stomach
Core Muscles
Heart
Arms
Chest
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 11:27

BF:
Default The one-minute workout plan

As recommended via the Lean Plate Column in today's edition of the Washington Post, another great workout for those who haven't got a lot of time:

Got a minute? Then you've got time for a workout from Shape magazine, because that's all each exercise in this regimen takes. Do 'em all at once, or split them up throughout your day.

The one-minute workout plan
To work Muscle Groups: Abs,Arms,Back,Butt,Legs,Shoulders