Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 10:23

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%

Well, I guess we're always supposed to tell people to check with their doc first...but, most docs haven't got a clue about safe dieting, anyway...They still believe in the calorie concept of energy in, energy out that doesn't work. Still, she probably should go just to see how healthy she is. As far as a low carb, high protein diet...the facts pretty much speak for themselves. It is the most healthy and "natural" way to go. She probably doesn't need to stay on induction any longer than the good doctor Atkins recommends, she might tend to be a little anorexic...meaning that she doesn't have a realistic concept of her body image, but going back to the diet of our much healthier ancestors makes a lot of sense to me. Her body will become more fit, her muscle tone will probably improve, she will replace flab with a tightly structured muscle mass. Just because a person is "skinny" doesn't mean he/she is healthy. I remember the girls of my youth...in the 60's and 70's. That was when Twiggy was popular. They were very skinny, but no muscle tone. Look at the old James Bond movies, like Goldfinger. The thing to watch with someone who is obsessed with their weight is how extreme they become on the "diet." If it becomes a WOL for her to become healthy, that's one thing. If she is on the "diet" to lose a bunch of weight for a short period of time, she very well could have a "problem."
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:04

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default I'm no Dr. but,

This "diet" is not a diet...see I want to eat like this for the rest of my life, hence WOL. So if your sister wants to adopt Atkins eating habits, more power to her. However, if she is "wasting away" or has problems with her body image you may want to suggest to her to see a Dr. or check out some sites for people with eating disorders. Another thing that struck me early in your thread (I'm not trying to be rude, I promise, I've just had what I think is a similar situation happen to me) alright, what I've found is that when I started losing weight, the people I thought would be the most supportive, were not. It's almost like people in general don't want 'others' to lose weight (and in some cases be happy). Does that make sense, I'm not sure if I'm explaining my thoughts well. For example, my mom....she could stand to lose some weight and when I started losing I told her about it. I was so excited to be in control and happy and I wanted to talk with her about, but hell no, she couldn't handle it. When I finally lost thirty pounds and told her, she said "well, your boobs are starting to shrink." I looked at her with such a glare and she immediately realized (well I think she did) that she was JEALOUS. I know this sounds soo negative, it could be due to the fact that I'm reading Hobbes's book Leviathan right now (he thinks the nature of man is warlike and selfish and constantly in threat by others), but anyway, there are only a few people that will be supportive during this. Your sister (I know I don't know her) but she may want the attention your getting? I don't know what I'm talking about, that's just what it sounds like to me. I know I don't know you, but I know where your at and I hope this rather long thread has been helpful, not harsh.

Good Luck,
Erin
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 222/205/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up Erin..harsh no.. helpful yes!!!

Cat & Erin I agree with you both about her having a problem with her body image..it has been that way as long as I can remember I guess being able to count your bones is not little enough. However, Erin you are not being to harsh.. infact that was the most informative conclusion one could give me and I thank you for it. I love my sis and don't want her hurting herself and I guess I was relating to my own weight loss and thinking this WOL would hurt her..But you are right it is actually the healthy way to eat.

Boy on the line of no support I have the boot all to beat all... my father is a health nut (he thinks ) he has for as long as I can remember critisized me about my weight.. I could never be small enough even when I was a size 9 (my dream size.. I loved it) He has drank slim fast as long as I can remember and I have never seen a major boost in his health or lowering of his waiste size. I was so excited about what I had, I went spouting out every fact I could think of. I was just amazed at all the things I never knew. This past week (we work together) he saw me eating my lunch ( a salad) in the break room .. "Loosing any weight on that diet of yours" he said " I lost 6 pounds in two weeks" I beamed. "is that all?" he snarled.. "that is good I think" I said "you must be cheating" he grumbled back "I haven't once" I said "I think three pounds a week is great" "well you should be loosing atleast 5 pounds a week" he said "that diet isn't working" "you working out?" he asked "three times a week" I said.."must be the diet.. you know " he said "once you get to your optimal weight on that low carb junk you won't loose anymore" I said "once I get to my optimal weight I will be happy"

Now if that is not a classic case of let me knock the wind out of your sails.. and to show his ignorance (for which I did not argue) I have always thought "Optimal" means "best" and if I am looking my "best" why would I want to loose more weight.. I will be at the top of my game.. Who knows and go figure... But you are right girl.. the ones you want to say "way to go" tend to hurt your feelings. Its no wonder I never have been able to loose weight.. I always feel like it is hopeless. On the positive side my best person (my dh) has shown nothing but support and sung praises..making me feel very proud of myself..for that I could not be more thankful..

I really do like to hear other peoples stories.. please do tell or where can I read about your road that you are traveling? You both have great success. I am anxious to see how you did it and the trials and triumphs you had..

Thanks again,
Free
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:54
Registered Member

Plan: na
Stats: 225/212.5/180 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 28%
Post ooohhh yeah

I have the same "bathroom" problems. (My mother,who is on maintenence, had the "typical" constipation & thought I was cheating!) I IS lessening & I am feeling better now that I am going into my third week, so Terri is right, it does seem to get better. Good Luck Nolly

P.S. I only wish I could lose as fast as you!!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 21:27

Boy! Can I relate to this! My mother...a lifer in Weight Watchers thinks this diet is very bad for me. I've now lost 32 pounds and feel great. She insists that because she has a degree in health science administration she knows more than I do about proper nutrition. She believes all the old hype about low cholesterol, etc. She takes meds for her cholesterol, eats total low fat...meaning: Tasteless food...and is so skinny and wrinkly that she looks like a scarecrow without the stuffing. In fact, the entire family is worried about her and tells her she looks unhealthy. She insists that hers is the "right" way and that all of her children won't listen to her...well, that's right. What she says about me..."Well, I guess any diet is better than being so heavy..." Gee, thanks, Mom! Love all of that support. I have shown her countless articles from medical journals exposing the low fat scam, and articles about the virtues of a more "primitive" diet like mine...all to no avail...I give up. She's killing herself and thinks that's what this diet is doing to me...I've never felt better in my life!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 10:06
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Family?

Isn't it strange how families (mostly moms and sisters) just won't listen. I got good advice from a few on this board. Their advice was to become a low-carb poster child. If you succeed, they have to take heed!

I have been making it a point NOT to talk about the positives of this WOE to the negative people in my life. If they ask, of course, I'll talk . . . but if not, they will just have to wait and see.

Happy lo-carbing.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 08:14
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy Now what did I do?

You guys are so right about the negativeness from others and Cat I second that emotion.
Well I am down in the dumps this am.. I some how managed to gain two pounds. I stuck with Induction another week and still gained two pounds. I did eat beans twice this past week and well it was Super Bowl weekend. I drank some Zima's with lime juice on Sat and Sun at super bowl parties. Is it the beans or the boozs? Don't know. I was really taken back by the weight gain though. Thought I had done so good.
Did anyone have this problem when starting out low-carbing.. and answers to the "beans or booze" question would help alot.. Help I'm feeling down..

Free
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 08:35
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Beans and Booze

I'd have to say it might have been both. Especially if you ate any kind of bean except for string/french/wax beans. I know I was craving beans a ways back and I looked at the carb count on the can and it was huge, something like 40 for 1/2 cup...I don't remember exactly. Canned beans also have sugars added also.

Alcohol may have dehydrated you also...making your body store extra water in its place. Also, while your body was processing the alcohol it was burning no fat.

So, no big deal, the super bowl won't be for another year.

PATRIOTS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

Just get back on your plan, probably at induction levels for a week at least to get back on track.

Elihnig
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:39
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy WOW!

WOW I did not know that about beans.. these were pintos both times..Gosh no wonder.. I will not be eating those again. Thank Goodness I have a year before the next big game. Thanks for the info..GOOD GRIEF if I hadn't of been told I would of kept right on eating beans. I didn't know they had that much carbs in them.. eeK! carbs can be sneaky very sneaky.

I never thought about the alcohol causing water retention..bet that has alot to do with it..we celebrated a couple of days there..oops..

Definately last night we was pulling for the Patriots!!

FREE
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Free!

Don't worry about the 2 lb gain. Drink a ton of water today and those nastly lbs will be gone. You are probobly dehydrated from the booze as well as eating the carbs in the beans.

We all have a slip once in a while, it takes some time to figure where the carbs are hidden. I am still learning, and belive I will be figuring this out for the rest of my life...

Just take today as a new day and you will be back to loosing again..

Have a great day!!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 11:45
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Tawnya,
Thanks I guess you are right..Get back on that horse..That is what I will do.. I am going to drink lots of water and weigh agian in a couple of days. I love your message at the end of your post.. Very inspiring little quote.. I will remember that one.. I like it..
Thanks

Free
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:23

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Hey for you BEANS fans...

I love chili and was totally bummed when I realized my stock supply of beans for my chili would remain in my cabinet due to the high carb content of ALL of them. However, I tried a lc chili recipe, calling for BLACK SOY BEANS - 1/2 c had 7 carbs, but 6 were from fiber (the other was a sugar, but who cares, it was only one). The whole pot only had 5 carbs of beans (two cans)...it was amazing. No one could tell it was lc. I bet these could be used for other recipes (maybe bean dip, etc).

For the drinking thing - ZIMA - ouch. It is sugar mania. Try dietcoke (or any diet drink) with vodka, next time you have the urge. Hey, atleast it won't cause you to gain wait, like the sugar drinks do. But whenever I drink, the day after I will be crazy dehydrated, so I always make sure to stay away from salty things and drink tons of water (since you body is likely to retain the day after).

Good luck to you,
Erin
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:42
Registered Member

BF:
Default Again, I learn!

See I never knew that about Zima's either. But hey it taste so good has to be something in it that is not right? That is a tricky one because I really didn't know what kind of alcholic beverages I can have.. I like Beer, Zima's, Margeritta's, all the stuff I suppose I should not drink. Oh well..and so it goes..

As far as the black soy beans? Where did you find them. I would like to give them a try.. I am like you .. I love chili w/ beans. Heck I like beans and ham. I am still learning, although I am reading Atkins book.. I stopped reading up to the point I decided to stay in induction ( and still managed to gain UG!) well the tips and advice have been most useful. I am going to stay in this saddle if it kills me.

FREE
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:17

Talking I'm a Zealot!

Hey Willy!
I'm not one of you Atkins people, so you'll just havbe to take what I say with a "grain of salt." Beans in all forms are high in many things that cause weight gain...yes, even wax beans, peanuts (a bean), green beans, and string beans. They are very high in many substances that are very bad for you (alkaloids). However, most of that bad stuff is cooked out of them. Lima beans, soy beans, and fava beans are actually quite toxic when not cooked. But, new discoveries are finding that beans are especially high in harful lectins that aren't cooked out of them...soy is one of the worst. And soy is in everything! Soda drinks are also bad for you in any form that you get the carbonation. It will keep the weight on and the feelings low. I didn't believe it, unitl my freind finally talked me into going off all sodas for two weeks. What a difference! The sweeteners in diet drinks fool your system into thinking your getting sugar, which is not conducive to weight loss. Beer will cause you to bloat for a couple of days afterwards. Dink lots of water and stay away from the things Dr. Atkins says to stay away from. One of the reasons I left the Atkins camp is because it was so hard for me to constantly be counting, etc. That's why I went Paleo. No counting. No eating of anything but what is allowed, and I've lost 32 pounds in about 4 1/2 months...no great weight loss, but being as how I will never go back to my oold ways, it will keep coming off. Stick to your new WOE...Atkins, Paleo, whatever...give it 90 days, and you will see a marked improvement, feel better and be much thinner...But don't give up for at least 90 days.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:08
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb Captxray do tell

Okay Capt. I am alittle fuzzy on what program you are following.. I would like to hear more about it. You have had some good results what ever it is. Just wanted the low down on what you meant. I agree sticking to the woe works I can see that already. was just curious... FREE