Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 222/205/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy Is this normal??

I am on day 7 of Induction.. I lost three pounds last week..YEAH I have had some feelings that I am uncertain if they are normal.. First of all, I have been having explosive business in the restroom area..I was prepaired for a complete stop up but BAAM!! Is this normal? And I also have occasional light headedness ofcorse my husband says it is just low air supply and blows in my ear for a refill.. But I thought I would pop these questions at you guys. So I know I am not doing something wrong. I don't think I am loosing to fast.. I mean three pounds is great but normal I think?? Isn't it?? Thanks for the help..

Free
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 19:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
First of all, I have been having explosive business in the restroom area..I was prepaired for a complete stop up but BAAM!! Is this normal? And I also have occasional light headedness

Some people do have the reverse, but "bowel" things, light- headedness, headache, irritability and all sorts of uncomforatble things are normal when you first start this WOE. It's withdrawal and detox.

There is a good article by Doreen in Low Carb Tips on intestinal health that you may want to have a look at.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 20:06
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Ditto

I had the same bowel problem. It automatically cleared during Week Three.

See it as a good sign. Getting rid of those toxins.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 07:23
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Thanks

Thanks for the replies..I am glad that this problemo is a good thing. Karen I red the article...I guess I am in Ketosis.. I do not have the strips but I have had a supressed appetite, which I think is the coolest. I never had that before with out "mother's little helpers" But to my suprise I feel great, no severe hunger of tiredness. I am really glad something hit me in that store to by this book. I have decided that I am definately making the change to the WOE for a lifetime. Makes no sense to do otherwise. Hope the dizziness goes soon.. Probably my addiction to caffine.. I cut that out as well..

Thanks gang

Free
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 13:20

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%

My ex-wife went off of caffeine and had detox for over three weeks. She even had weird pimply things that showed up on her back...she was a forty-cups-of-coffee-a-day person. She had headaches, irritability, you name it. It was worse than some of the heroin addicts I've seen in detox...no kidding. Notice...she's my ex...although, it didn't really have anything to do with her detox from caffeine. She needed to detox me out of her life, I guess. Now, she's happily married to a nice guy like me, and drinking coffee by the gallon and smoking like a sieve, again. Good to see that I wasn't necessarily the reason for all of her bad habits.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 17:46
Registered Member

BF:
Cool THE EX'S OMG!!

CAP,
The ex's now that is another subject..My ex had the same prob..not caffine.. he just seemed to forget where he lived and who he was married too. Thus, my excessive weight. I couldn't be blessed with the blues that cause you to not touch food. I went the direct opposite. I hit the fridge like Oakland hit the dust..or snow I should say. But I do believe I am suffering from caffine withdrawel.. Bad headaches and dizziness. I wasn't a scratchy throat cig and coffee gal. I am a case of diet coke gal.. OH my poor kidney's.. Sorry your ex thought she needed a new model of you..but I surely can relate to ya...

Free
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 17:54

I know what you mean. I used to be a Pepsiholic, myself. The best thing I ever did was break free from that "golden arm."
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 14:22
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Well so far so good. My headaches are gone.. I don't feel so fuzzy anymore and my well that springeth overeth has subsided!! Thanks for the replies.. Have a question to some of you..what on earth do you do when you go out to eat?? and is Chineese Food have alot of carbs? I mean with out the crunchies and rice? Just the dish? I had to do lunch out today and realized my choices was limited right now while in induction.. By the way only 4 more days and I have made it the whole 14 day..

KEWL

Well Bye for now gang
Free
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 14:25
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Day 2

The same thing happened to me on Day 2.

I got steam chicken with steamed broccoli with the sauce on the side.

I used less than a teaspoon of sauce and actually enjoyed the chicken and broccoli plain for a change.

Someone once posted crispy duck is a good choice, but I am not sure how that dish is made.

Good luck
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 16:10

Thumbs up

One thing I have to really watch out for at Chinese restaurants is MSG. I am very allergic to it. I found that once, on this diet, I am even more allergic to it than before. I have asked, "Do you use MSG?" The answer is always, "Oh, NO!" Lies, lies, lies...The last time I went to a CR I said, "Please don't put MSG in the food. I am very allergic to it and I might have an anaphalactic reaction, which means I might keel over and go belly up on your floor." The stock answer came back, "Oh, we will make sure that the cook doesn't put it in, even though we don't use it." LIES! LIES! LIES! Result, I don't go to CR's any more. Besides, they fry everything in soy, palm, or hydrogenated oils...phooey! Bad! Full of lectins that make us all sick! Even thier "steamed" stuff usually has oil added to it, or some strange Oriental "sauce." Going out to eat is actually quite easy. I just ask for a big salad with olive oil and lemon on the side, steamed fish, or shell fish, or a grilled steak. I drink plenty of water. I've found bar-b-que ribs without the sauce is actually better than with the sauce. Most places will do it the way you want if you ask. They're just happy you aren't asking for a "Vegan" menu!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 17:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183.5/174.0/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

Going out to eat is easier if you go to steak house type places. Outback steak House, Mountain Jacks, Longhorn, etc...They all have great salads & great steaks. Just ask them to substitute steamed veggies for the potato/rice. It's usually broccoli. Places with a salad bar are good too. I often will get a chef salad at lunch or for dinner. It's so nice to go out to eat & not feel horribly full & bloated on the ride home!! I'm afraid that chinese & mexican places are pretty much a no no. Anywhere that serves gourmet burgers is good too, just leave that bun!!

Suzi
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 11:38

Oh, Suzy Q! Food For thought! You're right about the places such as Chinese and Mexican...and Italian...although they have some good stuff made with olive oil...Steak houses and rib joints are the best for this diet. Where I live, the Oregon Coast is not too far away, and there are a lot of seafoods and salads out there! YUM! It really does feel so good to leave a restaurant and not feel that bloat...
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 11:53
Registered Member

BF:
Cool Thanks Gang

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.. I took them all to heart!
Well I made through the two weeks of induction and lost 6 pounds total.. Hooray..!! I even got into some of my pre preggo clothes But they are still too tight to wear in public..I am really excited about this WOL.. I feel much better physically too.!! I decided to stay on induction longer since it was so easy and I am not hungry. I know I am full of questions but does anyone have suggestions on something else I can eat while on induction besides the cold salad? I get kinda burned out on eating cold salads all the time.. I would like a hot meal.. Thanks Gang as always your help is really appreciated!!

Free
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 12:14

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default FreeWilly

Check the Recipes area for Lunch, Dinner, and Breakfast ideas. I have used so many of these...and printed them off too (I need to organize them so how). Here's the two links I use, Recipes and Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes . Karen also has tons of excellent recipes too - to spice up my salads I started making this recipe and I love it Grilled Portabello Mushroom Salad with Gorgonzola Dressing and she has tons more. They are sooo good. But, really you can eat what ever you want for Lunch...I ate the mock danish for awhile as lunch b/c it was soooo good or even reheated some of the Mock McMuffins if I was out.

Good Luck,
Erin
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 07:22
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Thanks Erin

Erin thanks for the recipe pages.. I looked them over..wow what great choices..Question # 300 are these recipes okay to do during induction? I have completed the first 14 days but I have chosen to stick with it a few more weeks?

Here's one for you guys to ponder on.. My sister who had obsessed over her( maybe at her most) 110 pounds body has taken notice that I at my (209 pound body) have lost a few inches. Now she has always said she was fat to me..whom I have to remind her she is adding insult to injury telling a fat person she is fat when she might be wearing a size 3. So out she dashes to buy Atkin's book. Says it is for her husband who could stand to loose 100 pounds. But get this she is the one reading it and following the diet. She is in induction. Since she has been sick and even started her monthly two weeks early. I told her maybe she should go to a doc before starting a diet. ( I know he would put her in a looney ben for even wanting to loose weight in the first place ) Do you guys think this is safe for someone so small? She is tired and looking haggard I am afraid she will drop weight she does not need to loose. However, I think cutting carbs is good for anybody but I worry.. What do you guys think?? thanks gang as usually ..

FREE