Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 21:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 214/185/114 Female 5 feet
BF:53/48/20
Progress: 29%

Finished the fast well... and had dinner, with MANY more carbs than I'm used to...

Ready for bed!

Sherry
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 05:32
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
4) Stuffy nose at night.
I have this now and then... Never could figure out why.

I am a 2 meal person/day.
It wouldn't be too difficult to do the IF, except that the most important meal in my day is Breakfast.
lolol, that's because I skip dinner alot. LOLOLOL duh!

I want to get on this parade.
one question:
how many times a week does one fast?
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 07:30
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I'm going to try this for a bit too. I'll admit, mostly for weight loss at this point, I'm under the gun to lose some weight, so I'll be keeping my eating times moderate and low-carb, but I am intrigued with the supposed health benefits of it. The 6pm-6pm fast seems relatively easy to do given that you can eat everyday, just when is the issue. The idea that IF can give you the same (or better) benefits than CR is interesting. I don't think I'm prepared to live CR, but the benefits of it are attractive. If I could live IF and get the benefits of CR, that would be worth doing.

My first fast will be a short one, not a full day. I didn't really get into reading about this until later last night, so I was eating last night. And due to timing, I want to break a fast Friday at 6pm, then to do the every other day thing, I needed to start last night. So, I'm fasting today until 6pm, then I'll start eating and be on schedule. A short fast of midnight last night to 6pm tonight to start.

I was thinking that as a long term thing, running a schedule of fasting 3 days a week would work well. Do a fast Sun night/Monday day, Tuesday night/Wednesday day, and Thursday night/Friday day. Fast breaks for the weekend and do two days of eating, starting another fast 6pm on Sunday.

I'll have to do more research and see if the benefits of IF still apply if the IF isn't every other day consistently. I imagine they would, maybe just to a slightly lesser degree.

Val
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 08:21

Plan: VLKD / paleo
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 176 cm
BF:lots
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
how many times a week does one fast?

I am planning to do this without breaks, so I'll fast every other day, or every 24 hours. Which sums up to 3 or 4 days of fasting (as in day = 24-hour-phase) per week, accordingly.

But the beauty of the Eades plan is that you actually get to eat something every day :-)

dhania, with 100 minutes to go until I am allowed to eat again
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 08:29
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Valerie, I was thinking of the same schedule later on, after about two weeks of this. Art Devany seems to think it's better being more random with it. Don't know if any actual studies have been done?

I'm a little weirded out, because I wasn't hungry this morning. I am eating breakfast anyway, but I could have gone without. It just worries me to do so, esp. if I won't be eating all day tomorrow. Weird.

Anyone else finding that they're eating higher carb than usual? I overdid it a little, carb-wise, and I notice the water retention this morning. Trying not to use IF as an excuse for a carb party!

Pilotgal's here! Hooray!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 08:43
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

I had some extra carbs in my last meal before my first fasting episode, in the form of a few bites of black beans. I also had extra carbs the night after my first fasting period, after a LC dinner I had some popcorn (although I have had popcorn occasionally). But all of yesterday's meals were LC. I hope that doesn't make it harder to last the rest of the day fasting today.

I wasn't starving when I got up yesterday, and breakfast wasn't a priority like it typically is. I did eat breakfast, but I went for a somewhat lighter breakfast than I thought I would have. Then I wasn't very hungry leading into the hour before my fast started, but I felt the need to have something, so I had some yogurt with protein powder, almonds and coconut.

I am surprised at not wanting or needing to eat a great deal more than I normally would. But then again, I have thought for a while, that I eat more than I need to anyway.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

I think IF alters your circadian rythm. I know that CR does, and most CRONies day starts around 5am. I personally used to be terrible for getting out of bed in the morning, but now I jump right out at 5-6am no problem... so I'm sleeping much less than I used to, maybe 2-3 hours less.

I recommend that you keep at eye on potassium levels or intake at least. Maybe consider some potassium supplements
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 09:40

Isn't it a 36 hour fast instead of 24? From lunch one day til dinner the next???

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...t.html#comments

Quote:
The method seemed a bit confusing at first. To summarize :
day 1 : eat bf & lunch = eat before 6 pm
day 2: eat dinner = start eating after 6 pm
day 3: eat bf & lunch = eat before 6 pm
day 4: like day 2... rinse & repeat.
basically dinner-lunch-bf / - - - /

Hi Yvana--

You've got the scheduling correct. I should have put it that way in the post--it's much easier to understand.

Thanks---

MRE

Sherry
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 09:44
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Isn't it a 36 hour fast instead of 24? From lunch one day til dinner the next???
Only if you don't have a snack right before the stop/start time. I've been making sure I get something just before my stop time, and then timing the fast from that time, so that it is 24 hours. Give or take about a half hour, I think that is good enough. I don't try to go without food from lunch until dinner the next day.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 09:45

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I used to do ten to twelve days fast, years ago. I remember the lack of hunger on the third day. I wonder how difficult IF will be eating more often. I could see myself doing this twice a week for ever.
I am very interested to see everyone’s results. I won’t be doing IF for a few months yet.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 09:50

Thanks, Cathy... I did not snack before starting, and wasn't really hungry 36 hours later. However(!), I ate because it was scheduled, and that meal was delicious!

Sherry
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 10:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I decided my cat should be doing this too. He's too fat and his health isn't great. He's lucky, he can just sleep through his fast. But I had to suffer the saddest looking face this morning when I left without feeding him. Oooooh... the guilt!
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 11:18

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Heh I have done this to my dog a couple of times trying to get him to eat his food. Put down his bowl of food. He doesn't eat it. I take the food away after an hour and I don't put it back down until the next day. The first few times I did this I felt very guilty!!! I was suffering along with him lol, but now things are great. He eats when I put down his food!
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 11:19
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Quote:
I decided my cat should be doing this too.

I did too and Henry is begging everyone for his kitty food

Hi All.
I am on day 4 of IR
Today I get Dinner
Some things I noticed so far:

1: On the second day when I just had dinner, we bought ice cream for dessert because my son was visiting (I know tisk tisk)
I checked my blood sugar an hour after I ate: 115 (WoW!)
I checked it again: 114 (I was low!)

2. Every night that I don't have dinner I am sleepy and I have a bad headache that lasts till morning.

3. I don't miss dinner or breakfast at all when I fast on them. However after lunch on these days I feel light headed and slightly dizzy.

4. I was sooooo fulllll on my dinner meal. I ate just like I normally do but was sooo fullll.

5. I'm drinking more water.

and lastly

6. I'm not going higher carbs on my dinners, though my blood sugar is low, I had cravings!!! And made my breakfast and lunch not satisfying at all.

As for sleeping... much better on nights I don't have dinner.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 11:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found a place that has a collection of links related to IF.
http://www.connotea.org/tag/intermittent_fasting

There is an IF group on Yahoo too: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fasting

That group founder says it took about 3 weeks for him to adjust.
Closed Thread