Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 16:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

So far the hunger has been very intermittent. I still have this feeling of "fullness" from last night's overfeeding but layered with off and on empty hunger feelings. I've got 3-4 hours to go. I just realized my 8-8 plan isn't right. It isn't dependent on breakfast but your last meal. Doh! Well, 6-6 works.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 19:52
Experimenter

BF:

I did it! First day done successfully. Over all it was a total piece of cake (low carb, gluten free of course!). When it came time for dinner, I ate a lot but not mass quantities.

I broiled a whole chicken (NUMMERS) and ate about 1/4 of it. I also had about 1.5 oz of macadamia nuts while I was waiting for the chicken to cook. Dessert was sliced almonds, a tiny squeeze of honey, peanut butter mixed with raisins and mixed together. Sounds weird, I know. But it is delicious. I'm quite quite full.

Hunger pangs were totally unremarkable. I had one 5 minute period today where I thought, "Wow, I'm really hungry". Other than that it was totally ignorable!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 20:22
Experimenter

BF:

This posting by Dr. Eades is really generating a lot of comments. He addressed hypoglycemia:

Quote:
i have read a lot about this and have always wanted to try it but because i have tended toward hypoglycemia, i have hesitated.

my question is, if i should start to feel the manic ravenous crazy state that i can sometimes fall into, is it best to break the fast and try another day or gut it out. will the hypoglycemic body eventually adapt to the fasting. it sounds like this way of eating should eventually improve such a condition.

great article, the 6PM thing is genius, never occurred to me and makes it a lot easier. i will probably pick 8PM because i like to eat and watch my tv show. susan

Hi Susan--

I would probably try to gut it out until dinner on the fasting days. The hypoglycemic state should respond nicely. One of the most potent stimuli to feed is a rapid drop in blood sugar. If you're not eating, the body makes plenty of blood sugar keeping levels from falling rapidly. So, once you get started you should do okay.

8 PM until 8 PM is fine if that works for you. I hope the TV show you're watching is Low Carb CookwoRx

Let me know how you do.

Cheers--

MRE
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-14-06, 23:10

Plan: m&e.IF
Stats: 224/214/140 Female 60 in
BF:52%
Progress: 12%

HI GUYS ,today, I ATE TOMMOROW, I fast till 6pm I will post then and give my result.My husband was alittle conserned since I just started m&e three weeks ago I have lost 15 lbs he is afraid I am losing too quikly .What do you think?

Last edited by sloslo1 : Thu, Sep-14-06 at 23:12. Reason: spelling
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 02:29

Plan: VLKD / paleo
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 176 cm
BF:lots
Progress: 0%

Hi,

I posted on the Eades blog, too, and I'll be joining you people here soon. Over the weekend I have to make some adjustments to my household (not only regarding IF, but also getting rid of DHs carb junk which drives me crazy) so my DH is in for some changes, too, although he will remain on his eating schedule.

dhania
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 06:17
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I've started as well, got my dinner in before 6pm last night and will be fasting until 6pm today. I was obsessing about it last night - what will I eat tomorrow, will I make it, etc - but this morning I am fine and not having my usual obsessive thoughts.

I am splitting up my supps as usual, 2x per day.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 08:50
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Ok, I am ready to start IF. I won't eat after 7pm tonight through 7pm Saturday. I took a steak out of the freezer for dinner on Saturday, I'll be looking forward to that. I also want to make some cranberry power muffins (from the LC Cookworx cookbook), but I don't think I could handle making them and smelling them while I was fasting. So I either need to make them tonight, before I get too hungry, or wait until Saturday night. I am trying to think of things to keep myself distracted during the day on Saturday.

One of the things I am looking forward to is not having to carry my lunch into work several days a week.

I have also decided that I will take all my supplements at one time, in the evening when I eat (either before 7pm, or after 7pm, depending on whether it is a fasting or eating day). Particularly the cod liver oil and vitamin E, with the fats, I think it would interrupt the fast if I took them in the morning when I shouldn't be eating anything.

Setting 7pm as my start time should work for me. It will give me enough time to get home and either grab a last quick bite before starting a fast at 7pm, or to start preparing dinner at the end of a fast period, so that I can eat as close to 7pm as possible. I think it makes sense in my mind, to start out with eating protein, so it will take some preparation time (unless I have something pre-cooked, which I frequently do). It is possible that I won't be as desperate to eat, as I am imagining. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Great job Nancy. I'm glad that it didn't seem hard for you. Good luck to the rest of us today and tomorrow, as we start.

I asked the forum moderators if it was okay to post the link to this thread to Dr. Eades blog, and they have no problem with it. So, I will go ahead and post a note to Dr Eades blog about this thread, so he can follow our progress if he is so inclined.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 09:36
Dazilous

BF:

I have 6.5 hours until I can eat and I am a little nervous. Not obsessing about food, which is amazing, but I feel kind of sad. This is a surprise. I'm tearing up.

Drinking decaf tea with coconut milk. A little hungry now and then, but not too much.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:11
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile

Hi all. I started this today and I read up on as much as I could find. I see why its 6am to 6pm for basically we eat breakfast and lunch on day 1, Dinner on day 2, Breakfast and lunch on day 3 ... etc.
I do not snack normally but I may now that I'm eating every other day. I have to admit I don't think this will be that much different than I normally eat. I find after a big dinner for example I rarely eat dinner the next day. Being diabetic on no meds and also being hypothyrodic I will be testing my blood more often to see what is going on. In a month my thyroid is being tested again. will be interesting to see if there are any changes.

So day 1 is today for me! I'm 305 lbs

Ps I plan to stay low carb on my meals though I do have some carbs on Fridays.
pps Can we have coffee? I also drink deluted diet soda and red tea.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:30
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Dr. Eades said they had black coffee and tea, water and diet drinks during their experiment. This is what I plan on doing.

For me, I don't want to have any real calories during the fast period, so no cream, only artificial sweeteners, and no cod liver oil or Vitamin E supplement. That's the reason I decided to take all my supplements at one time, instead of splitting them between morning and night, which is what I have been doing. The cod liver oil in particular says take twice a day, but for this, I will take both doses at the same time.

I am contemplating whether or not I should try to stuff myself before 7 tonight, in preparation for the fast. Really, I am so scared of being hungry. Maybe I should look at this as one of the goals, to get past the fear of hunger.

Waywardsis, that's very interesting about the sadness, I wonder if it is related. Good idea to keep track of emotions during this, I guess. Maybe as your body adapts to this style of eating, you will feel better. I thought a lot of the people who commented on the blog said they felt much better. And I thought he said that IF didn't lead to depression and irritability like CR can.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:30

Plan: VLKD / paleo
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 176 cm
BF:lots
Progress: 0%

Lessara,you meant 6 pm to 6pm, didnt you?

And yes you can have coffee, tea, diet soda, water . DrEades mentions in his blog and the comments section that he and his wife drank those on the fast days freely.

dhania, ready for take-off on Sunday/Monday
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 10:33
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Lessara,you meant 6 pm to 6pm, didnt you?

Yes I did

Quote:
And I thought he said that IF didn't lead to depression and irritability like CR can.

He did and I hope this is true!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 12:14

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've had nothing since around 7:30 last night, and I plan on having nothing until about 7:30 tonight when we'll be going out with my uncle to an awesome steak house. I plan on possibly getting a steak the size of my head.

I think my schedule is going to end up the "eat once a day in a two-hour window" schedule. My hubby is not on board with the plan (he said that he's afraid of being hungry), so I think it would be nice to be able to still eat the evening meal with him. I'll just eat a lot more of it.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 12:44
Dazilous

BF:

TReefrog, I think the boo-hooiness (new word) relates to my emotional food issues/fear of hunger. I feel much better now, and am relaxing into this. I am hungry, I didn't eat a lot yesterday (not on purpose, just wasn't all that hungry) but I think this is good for me, to sit with my hunger and experience it. And all that other new-agey crap. I may even light a candle later (right before I crawl into a bag of Ruffles for the evening).

I admire you black tea people - couldn't do it. Needed the coconut milk. Now on Perrier and enjoying the exciting fizz. 3.25 hours 'til meatloaf!

Nancy - love the title of the link! We're the Iffums (IFM's)!

Last edited by waywardsis : Fri, Sep-15-06 at 12:46. Reason: forgot to give Nancy props
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-15-06, 12:45

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i'm starting tonight. Nothing after 8m til 8pm tomorrow. I think i will have an easy time not eating tomorrow because i have to go to a funeral for a friend who i just found out last Thursday had bone cancer and she died the night i found out she was sick.

I'm still in shock and i know i won't feel like eating at all tomorrow....i find it quite easy to eat nothing during the day and it feels quite natural to me....i'm glad i have a very busy 'in and out' schedule because then my family won't notice that i'm not eating during the daytime.

I mentioned in another thread that eating LC sometimes makes me feel sick only because i make myself eat even when i don't want to...just the thought of eating makes me nauseous at times because of saiety factor....no carbs = no hunger for me....
Closed Thread