Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/182/154 Female 5"4'
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up

Get on plan and in 4 days the cavings will stop and your body will be in a better place you feel better and dont have the cravings. Right now with binging you are really starving your body of the good foods. Once you start eating right the cravings will stop. It is a miracle. I felt as you do a few days ago. I thought I would never stop because the craving where so strong. Eat lots of protein everytime you crave something. It works if you work it and you are worth it.

Have a good day Loretta
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 10:08
Registered Member

Stats: 230/180/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

hhhmmmm not sure if that is quite true. I have been "onplan" for 3 weeks now. I am feeling great. I just had a lovely breakfast of eggs and lettuce and mayo. Truly enjoyed it, and i am not hungry at all. A co worker, just opened up a big box of Turtles...and I want one. Badly. Craving it. Not PHYSICALLY emotionally...and that is just as bad..and THOSE dont stop.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I am NOT going to have one...no worries there, but I feel IMO, that it is naive to think that you wont ever WANT to eat chocolate, or bread, or pasta again, as long as you eat right....but maybe that is just me.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 10:44

BF:

My thoughts if you didnt have your cravings in control with the 3 weeks under your belt. You would probably have given in to that turtle. I find with me with I start getting out of control it gradually sneaks up on me first I start with the little peice of Low carb bread then I add my little !/2 cup on strawberries and then I add and then I add and then I am out of control and I keep adding until I feel sick and have eaten everything is site. Then I can start again. As long as it stay away from carbs I am Ok.
Just my thoughts.
Loretta
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 10:47

BF:

Everyday life throws us some challenges. If you are on track you can handle the emotions better. What I do is I have to keep doing new recipes have the ingredients on hand at all times to stay focused. Because it is human nature to get bored easily.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 12:40

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 405/350/220 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 30%

I binged every day - literally - for the past 4 years as my weight got up to 405 pounds.

45 days ago I went back to overeater's anonymous, started low carbing (Atkins), and the compulsion to binge has been removed. I have tried every diet, had surgery, been hypnotized, mesmerized, and analyzed. Nothing works for me except admitting I am completely unable to stop binge eating by my own power, and then stopping trying to control it.

I know for some this is controversial. Perhaps a little "out there". It was hard for me to accept. But my failure, time after time, led me to conclude that my problem was powerlessness, and I it was time to quit pouring every ounce of energy I had into trying to solve a problem I alone could not fix.

For those who have tried it all, this approach may yield some benefit. And for those who don't want to try it all first, it may help them too.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 12:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Elpasopop: What works, works, Grab it with both hands--if other people think its controversial...oh well, who cares. You are the one that has to get into jeans...not them.
You said, you went "back" to OA...what was it about THIS time, that didnt work, last time?
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 12:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I dont think I can ever say " Oh, I am LCing, so I have no struggles anymore". I think the LC plan is great and helps to keep my tendency to use food as everything from entertainment to comfort --under control....but no matter WHAT plan I am on...I will ALWAYS WANT to have what I know is not good for my body. The ONE TURTLE is not the issue.I would have to eat the whole box. And more.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 14:08

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 405/350/220 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truesay
Elpasopop: What works, works, Grab it with both hands--if other people think its controversial...oh well, who cares. You are the one that has to get into jeans...not them.
You said, you went "back" to OA...what was it about THIS time, that didnt work, last time?

Hi Tru,

What worked this time is that I am finally ready to surrender to the program of OA and to a higher power, with no reservations. When I tried it before (twice), I always had a ready excuse for why I was different, or why I was exempt from being powerless, or ow I could control my eating.

I have realized that I am truly powerless over my addiction of overeating. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars, tried willpower, all diets known to man, even surgery. Still, I overate. I had to realize that no matter what I tried, my human resources were not enough. Looking back, it was really a "duh" moment. Of course I am powerless, look at how hard I tried but had no success in losing weight!

So...I was in enough pain with this addiction that I finally could brush asaide my ego long enough to surrender to the program and to reach out to a higher power of MY understanding.

The compulsion to binge was lifted practically overnight. Of course the "no hunger" feature of Atkins also played role, but for me, overeating has never been about me being hungry. It has been about me being lonely, afraid, without direction. Hunger had very little to do with it.

Thanks for asking!
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 12:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Me binging has absolutely nothing to do with hunger. Its always something else...although I do know that if I let myself GET hungry, that is always a recipie for disaster as well...I lose all control. Its very tangled isnt it?
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 13:55

Plan: Kimkins Bootcamp
Stats: 185/145.2/140 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I'm joining in here! Ditto to the above statement! Since I have become so close to goal I am blowing it over and over again. I will get my weight down to 5 lbs. from goal and then go away or go to a social event and cheat by only having "one" peanut M&M. WHAMO- you know what happens next............!!!!!

I need to stop this behavior! I did it again this past weekend. On Friday my weight was 150, I was so happy. I had good intentions going into the weekend away, but only had that "one" cheat, which turned into a weekend of cheats. The scale is up today and that is all I can think about!! I am so mad at myself!

My goal is, when we go away again this weekend, to be good. We go snowmobiling with other couples and this weekend we are saddle bagging it into Canada. So I can only carry what will fit into my bags. I am trying to do more of a Kimkins WOE. I will pack as many LC snacks as I can and hope that we go to restaurants that will have something I can eat.

Wish me Luck!!
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 14:46

BF:

Sprtbicnic,
I am so envious of you so close to your goal. My thoughts why dont you go on Phase 1 which to me is no carbs just the protien and lettuce stuff for 4 days before your fabulous weekend getaway( Im even jealous of that). This will help you get back in control of your cravings,binging and get you closer to your goal.

Good Luck
Loretta
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 16:13
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sprtbichic: GOOD LUCK!! You sound like you have your strategies in place...just stay FULL and stay away from the food areas!!
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Feb-20-07, 20:47
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sprtbichic - good luck, and have fun!

Tru - missing the high but not the hangover, so so true. Good way to put it.

I had some chips this weekend, which used to be my big binge food. My sister had bought some (I don't buy them anymore) and I was able to have a few handfuls in the evening and then stop, put the bag back, and go on with my life. Weird thing happened though - the next day I was in a terrible mood, just woke up that way. Had a mental craving to eat more of the chips later on in the day and did...my mood got worse, and later that night I was in tears for no reason. I mean no reason at all. I was depressed and annoyed and sad, but not really. Hard to explain - it was like my body was having this reaction (crying, feelings of sadness etc) but mentally I wasn't attached to the feelings or involved in them. It was just a chemical reaction/response. Very strange.

I agree that getting hungry makes it worse, even though it isn't about hunger. My BF and I used to go for dim sum and if I couldn't get my certain favorite foods, or if it was taking too long, I'd get angry and snap at him and be all upset and stressed until the food I wanted arrived.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 07:02

Plan: Kimkins Bootcamp
Stats: 185/145.2/140 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

That makes total sense regarding the emotional ups and downs. I was feeling that way this past weekend when I was binging, now I see the cause and effect. WOW!

As far as my weekend, I have told my DH to not let me cheat. When I cheat I get stomach aches and headaches, he is to remind me of that. I have packed a few low carb bars, I normally do not eat them, but being that we are on a long snowmobile trip with saddlebags I thought it may stop me from getting a candy bar at a store when we gas up.

Already this morning the scale is down from yesterday and that makes me feel so good! I need to remember all of this when I am about to binge. I read somewhere about the elastic band on the wrist, maybe that was here, and snap it when I am about to cheat. I am going to try it.

Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes, being on this thread is holding me accountible. Thanks!