Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/175 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Another failed attempt to get back on plan today. When will this end this time? It's been keeping me depressed and when i'm depressed I stop exercising too. Tomorrow I will succeed! I have to! I'm going to try to eat right the rest of today even though I messed up this morning.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 17:49
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
It's such a viscious cycle. You binge, get depressed, leads to another binge...on and on. The shame afterwards can make it difficult to feel optimistic about changing the behaviour.

Rissa, good for you being so proactive. I'd urge everyone to get checked out physically and to have food allergy testing done, at least. Trigger foods, or groups of trigger foods (like nuts for you, Miss Atkins) could be foods you're allergic to, or that your body is reacting to due to leaky gut, etc. Nuts are an extremely common allergen/irritant.

MissAtkins - you say you've been doing this for the past few months. Can you think of anything that happened to precede it? A stressor in your life, a new medication/supplement, adding a new food/foods to your usual diet or changing your usual WOE (ie: lowering calories or fat, or increasing carbs)...that sort of thing?

Anyone ever felt that the bingeing was a form of self-punishment?

I've already had food allergy tests done - I have had it done several times. I am deathly allergic to nuts. I have no problems with peanuts/soy/wheat but nuts yeah - I'm thinking its more psychological than physical. Thanks for the advice - so many people don't understand that food allergies can really affect people in very strange ways. I have a sister with a wheat issue - she gets really emotional if she eats too much wheat. Her son who is autistic has really progressed being on a gluten free diet - its all interconnected.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 17:50
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanlady
Another failed attempt to get back on plan today. When will this end this time? It's been keeping me depressed and when i'm depressed I stop exercising too. Tomorrow I will succeed! I have to! I'm going to try to eat right the rest of today even though I messed up this morning.

You're going to succeed - we all are. Maybe not today - but keeping your thoughts positive and not giving up means that you have not failed. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was my butt, is how I look at it - it takes time. It takes a little push that hopefully comes soon!
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 18:17
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Take some vitamin D, 4,000-7,000 IU. It will help with the cravings and you'll feel better.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 19:40
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissa
I've already had food allergy tests done - I have had it done several times...I have a sister with a wheat issue - she gets really emotional if she eats too much wheat. Her son who is autistic has really progressed being on a gluten free diet - its all interconnected.

What sort of tests did they do? Often the gluten gets a false negative bc it's a delayed reaction and not a traditional allergy (think it's an IgG? Have to look it up)...also, many people (like your sis and her son) don't have GI reactions but neurological. Those are the genes I have...gluten intolerance is genetic, so the chances that you have a sensitivity to it as well are fairly high. Food for thought.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 19:43
Dazilous

BF:

Quote:

Most of us fail a million times before we succeed - and we only have to succeed once. I know it's hard, but try not to beat yourself up about it. You're only human. You don't have to be perfect.

Do you notice anything in particular that trips you up? Foods, events, time of day, boredom etc? Do you have cravings? What foods do you generally binge on?
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 08:28
Registered Member

Stats: 230/180/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

I do it to. It isnt about the food. We THINK it is about the food...it just isnt. It is about how we FEEL. We use the food to get rid of the feelings. Facing the feelings is painful. We don't want the pain. So we eat. It takes away the focus from us having to FEEL. Limiting carbohydrates is a good option, upping our protien and fat is a good strategy. It helps. BUT we can binge on cheese or meat too...it ISNT ABOUT THE FOOD. IT is about OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH IT. THAT is what we have to work on. When we get the overwhelming URGE to start ( I know the feeling well) we have to stop and THINK...WHAT IS THIS REALLY ABOUT?? the "urge" is simply an alarm bell going off that something has to be sorted out....EMOTIONALLY
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 09:27

Plan: Atkins (kinda)
Stats: 181/181/119 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 0%

I totally binge, I feel like its the ONLY thing that will make me feel better. Worst thing is, I normally get my boyfriend to go get it so I dont look like a pig
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 13:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Yep..the awful thing about food making you feel better--is that chemically in your brain, it works just like a drug. "feel good" chemicals get secreted that actually DO make us feel better--so we become addicted to that feeling from the food. Its horrible. What really helps me..is NEVER EVER EVER Letting myself become hungry. If I get hungry...its just a binge waiting to happen.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 20:08
Dazilous

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truesay
It isnt about the food.

For some of us, it was the food. Emotional issues notwithstanding, it absolutely was the food. Maybe not for you, but for some getting rid of certain foods makes a big difference both physically and emotionally.

There are certain foods that can act as opiates in the body. Not only is the behaviour addictive (for me it was, anyway...the act of bingeing itself was addictive) but some of the foods were chemically addictive as well. Double-edged sword.

But I agree...the urge is an alarm bell that something needs to be sorted out: emotionally, for sure, but it is a good idea to get the physical checked as well.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 11:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

if it WAS just the food...that would mean that once the food was sorted ( LCing) that we "just wouldnt want to anymore". And that just isnt the case.
Perhaps the two go hand in hand?? Eating the "right" food, makes it easier to withstand the emotional?
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 12:35
Dazilous

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truesay
if it WAS just the food...that would mean that once the food was sorted ( LCing) that we "just wouldnt want to anymore". And that just isnt the case.
Perhaps the two go hand in hand?? Eating the "right" food, makes it easier to withstand the emotional?

In my case...ABSOLUTELY. If you're eating foods that trigger biological cravings/symptoms/reactions, then good luck dealing with the emotional. Like an alcoholic going to AA drunk.

In my case gluten grains (wheat, spelt etc) caused neurological reactions as well as mild gastro reactions. Grains gone, reactions gone. No crazy emotions, no depression/anxiety/mood swings/melancholy etc. No insane cravings for sweet and/or starchy foods. Dairy did it to me as well.

The bingeing had become somewhat of a habit at this point, so I did have to deal with breaking it - much like when I quit smoking, the physical addiction goes before the actual habit is broken - but it was far easier than when I was in the throes of needtowannagottaeatI'msadboredangry. Bingeing, like full-blown bulimia and anorexia etc, is addictive in and of itself, IMO. It can become like a ritual. I've found now that when I have tried to do one of my usual binges (my ritualistic Friday-night private chip-and-junk binge) I don't get the same feelings or satisfaction that I used to. And weirdly enough, a part of me mourned the loss. Still does, in a way. Just now there isn't the emotion nor the reward attached to the behaviour, so it's easy to not do it.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/keckwick
Stats: 282/248/210 Male 73
BF:%/34%/25%
Progress: 47%

If you do this thing right, you should not have cravings or hunger IMO. beware the frankenfoods!!!
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default missing the binge feeling

Waywardsis:
Man, when you said you felt a sense of loss over the absence of binging, I completely related to that....I too miss the binging. I miss the emotional release I got from it...or something...you are right...if you eat right, you think bout binging more out of HABIT than out of a need. For me, now when i think of binging...i do get a momentary rush, but then i think of how that would outdo everything i have accomplished, and how bad i feel after that...and i just know it isnt worth it...but still, I feel a sense of loss...of NOT doing something that I used to do to help me cope. I miss the "high" but I certainly certainly DONT miss the hangover.
True
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 13:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Snacky:
I am not sure I am understanding you. Are you saying you will never ever be tempted to eat something offplan? Are you saying that each and every day is completely struggle free, and that when your friends are having bread from the basket, or ordering spaghetti..you dont wish you could too? Are you saying that you never eat cause you are bored? nothing to do with frankenfoods!