Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 18:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/163/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Casandra- I have to agree with the above post... it seems to me (and I am no psychologist, I know) that you are not improving the binge behavior, which is a food disorder. I think Atkins works because it is very satisfying and naturally suppresses hunger.
And when you fast/binge, you feel uncomfortable, so your body says it's not good.
Maybe I have said too much? If so, I apologize, just trying to figure this stuff out along with the rest of the people muddling through every day!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 475/239/150 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 73%

To Binge according to my doctor is the unconcious "swallowing" of my feelings due to not being able to verbalize or act on what was or still is "eating" me by stuffing it down with food.

Well, if you have a drinking problem and quit - you can say that you are no longer a binge drinker because you no longer drink or insert any other behavior that you can stop and never do again (smoking, gambling, etc) BUT you cannot go without eating. I have to work at getting to the bottom of what is eating me and confronting it each and every time I get the urge.
So, it is a battle that is long fought and never over but I have learned how to stop, forgive myself, write down what is bothering me and then decompress (deep relaxing breathing for 5 to 10 minutes) and then start immediately going back to my LC woe. I have a pact with myself that it is OK to stumble but it is NOT permission to throw away my hard work because of a binge.
All my best!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 15:49

Stats: 189/182/154 Female 5"4'
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Everyone,
I have tried really hard to find out what is eating at me so I eat. I attended overeaters anonymous for a year or 2 waiting for that one person to tell their story and I would be able to relate and know why I binge. One night this large man got up and told his story. He said I used to eat all day long (me too) and i decided to come up with a new plan 3 meals a day and one snack. That became my plan and still is my plan. It has been the best thing for me. Initially when I gave up food between meals that fridg was screaming in my ear to come and eat come and eat. Same thing happened between lunch and supper. Now the voice is hardly noticeable. I dont get up at night anymore. I am now working on a weekend plan. I dont like starting fresh on Monday anymore.

Just my thoughts
Take care
Loretta
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 16:36

Plan: Low Carb for LIFE
Stats: 160/160/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you for your reply....I have to agree with the fact that fasting/binging is unhealthy. I was trying soo hard to convince myself that it was gooooooooood..becuase i could eatwhat i want...but no matter how many times i go off..and slip..i always want to come back to low carb.....and i feel like a dummy. going back and forth..i want to be stable..and i know that low carb is the way to go...no matter what....its just healthier..simple...take out the sugar..and u got it...all i am doing with a this so called "regular diet" is filling my body with junk..and my teeth with cavaties....waow..i need to start keeping a journal...like serioulsy..cuz many things i relaize when i type...not just when i think about it..and other times i need you guys to give me the responses you give me to wake me up....soo...THANK YOU....

Chichigirl and loretta....thank you for the straight answer....you are absolutely right..low carb is a cure for binging...simple..i can either accept that..and feel great..or reject it..and suffer...

GUYS...i made my bracelet...tonight..but i couldn't find anything with letters to spell anything out..so..i just made it funky with buttons and beads of different colors..and it make noise...and its bulky. so itsnot like i won't noticeit..

Thanks you guys for waking me up..all of you really...

I am going back to low carb as of tomorrow....and am committing to it.....

I hope this bracelet works!! (smile)..

Reply soon all.
casandra
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 18:17

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Hi Casandra and everybody!

This is probably the longest post I ever wrote. I hope you can get through it!

As a person who binged her way through 52 years of life, I can tell you that I know what it's like. I used to be able to stay on a diet for a month or two, then I would be in binge mode for a month or two.

I've been in binge mode for even 6 months. I would be fine all day, then eat all night and all weekend. You're right, it's absolutely sickening.

The best thing I've ever found is low carb and this website. Over the last year I've done so much research, as questions came to my mind.

I've learned how carbs, fats and proteins affect the brain and metabolism; and what exercise can do to help us, among other things.

I suppose I should tell you now, that I no longer binge. I'm not sure if I could say I never will again, how could I, considering my history? But what I'm about to tell you will explain how I overcame it.

This is from Casandra's original post:
Quote:
and feel that i am constantly obsessing about food..and worrying about what i am going to eat..and how much i will eat..and then panic that i might eat too much....I dont' want to do that anymore...cuz even though iam on atkins...I still worry that the days will come where i fall in the hole again..

OK. First of all, I suggest, (and mind you, I'm not telling you what to do, I'm only saying what worked for me,) to make a plan. Not just for one day, but for every day. If you click on the link at the bottom of my post, you can see my plan. I've worked very hard on it, modifying it over time through trial and error, making it suit my metabolism. I have enough carbs to keep me energized and able to exercise (I'll get to that subject in a minute) and allow me to sleep (I can't sleep if my carbs are too low) and enough calories where I still lose weight, yet never feel deprived or overly hungry.

It's not written in stone, but I can tell you I keep a printout of it right next to my place at the kitchen table, and I refer to it often as I plan my meals and snacks every day.

So, step one to avoid binging is to Make a Plan. You will have something to lean on, so to speak, so you never have to worry about what you'll eat or eating too much, or feeling like you're falling into a hole. You can always look at your plan and know you will be OK.

I'm also not saying your plan has to be like mine. I can get very detail oriented. That's how I feel secure. Even if you just made a plan that says - Breakfast - 350 cal., 10 g carbs, Snack - 100 cal., 10 carbs, etc. for example. Then every day, before you eat a single thing, WRITE DOWN what you plan to have for the day. Decide what lunch and dinner will be, before you even eat breakfast. You can even do this the night before.

I learned this in Overeaters Anonymous. You will never have to worry about your food again. And you will always be prepared with good foods, not rummaging through the refrigerator looking for something to have. You will have peace of mind!

Now, I very strongly, most emphatically suggest that you include snacks in your plan. For two reasons. 1) You will never get so hungry at meal time that you will not be able to control yourself and 'fall' into a binge.

and 2) By eating every few hours you will actually increase your metabolism. As your body is burning up the food, you metabolism is always in high gear. You will never have the slumps you might get if you delay eating for a long time.

I imagine you are still young. By starving yourself and then binging for one or two hours, you are setting yourself up for some sort of blood sugar problems later. Your blood sugar falls when you don't eat, then rises when you do. If you are eating carbs, it will rise too high (your body can't process it all at once). Your body will then more easily convert the excess carbs to fat. Then you will have a drop in blood sugar. Once this continues for some time, the last drop will be too low, and you will crave carbs all over again.

Also, did you know that even too much protein at one time can adversely affect your blood sugar?

I absolutely, with most certainty agree that fasting and binging will harm your system.

I gathered from a couple of your posts that you liked the 2 hour binge because you could "eat what you wanted." My suggestion is to include something that you 'want' in your plan, and have a 'treat' every day. You will never have to over-eat when you feel like you can have what you want every day. Remember, we don't have to tell ourselves we can't have this or that. We just have to remember that we choose not to have this or that. Do you know what I mean? We are never really deprived. We are making healthy choices for ourselves, for our health and well-being.

BTW, I also suggest eating the best foods you can buy. Like Organic produce and whole foods. Try to avoid artificial sweeteners (for loads of reasons), and drink lots of water - you know the old story, at least 8 glasses a day. It works!

OK, Exercise. While everyone would love to lose weight without doing it, and some people do, I positively believe it will help prevent a binge. Why?

Because, first of all, you'll feel too good to ruin how good you feel. Also, your body is using all the wholesome foods you feed it and the exercise keeps your 'engine' burning.

You will normalize your appetite, blood sugar and metabolism.

I'm not talking about running marathons or bench pressing tons of weights. I recommend a 30 - 45 min. walk every day, or at least 5-6 days a week. And at least 2-3 days of weight exercises. Hand weights, to exercise your arms and do some lunges for your legs and tush. Not killer stuff. Just stuff to get you moving and sweat a little.

No one likes to sweat less than I do, believe me. But I sweat every day, and I've never felt so good! I sleep better, I'm losing weight, and I've had holiday meals that even surprised me that didn't turn into a binge.

That's right! I'm even surprised myself how these few suggestions are working! We had a holiday dinner this past weekend. I planned to have a small amount of certain things, and that's what I had. I, myself, was surprised that I didn't want to go on and on eating.

So, I can say, first hand, that these suggestions work.

It's easy to make excuses. It's hard to do the work. But the effort you put into avoiding a binge will pay off in a corresponding reward.

I hope this post helps someone. All I can say is, don't give up, keep trying, and every day, do whatever you can think of to avoid that binge.

You'll see, one day, it won't be hard at all!

Last edited by locarbbarb : Thu, Sep-28-06 at 18:31. Reason: added something
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 20:41

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Wow Barb. What a great post!

I believe in the planning, too. It has stopped the craziness of indecision and poor choice because I haven't had the forethought to plan. This was how the fast food marketing grabbed me and held me so long.

I hate how the media shows a broken-hearted girl diving into a tub of ice cream... they teach us we're to look like Twiggy, but gorge like pigs when life is rough. Give me a break, people.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 11:42

Hi pennink!

Quote:
I hate how the media shows a broken-hearted girl diving into a tub of ice cream... they teach us we're to look like Twiggy, but gorge like pigs when life is rough.
OMG! Don't get me started!

The media is probably the cause of the obesity epidemic in our country, and the root of most people's eating disorders!

The advertising...do they ever show obese people with high cholesterol eating the quadruple cheese burgers? No..they show slim men chowing down as if that's a normal meal.

The mixed messages are so constant... I don't think most people would even eat fast food if not for all the TV commercials.

Yes, I know the scene with the ice cream. Do you notice they only take one bite? In real life, they probably don't eat that stuff at all. OTOH, real people who have eating disorders might eat 1/2 or the whole container. I don't find it funny at all, and I hate it, too.

Yes, and the skinny models. I knew I'd have to write about this somewhere, and I thought it would be my journal, but why not mention it here...how about the new style of pants called "Skinny Jeans?" Have you seen them?! The models look like sticks, their legs are even stick-ier, and the thighs of the jeans are as wide (or should I say narrow?) as the calves.

Lord, I will never be able to wear them, no matter how thin I get. I just don't have the legs for it.

So, should I feel like crap because of that? No. I refuse to. I won't feel bad. If I allow myself to feel bad, well, it's certainly in the realm of possibility that I might turn to food. What good would that do?

So, I'm fine the way I am. I don't care if some people can wear "Skinny Jeans." I'll wear my shapely jeans, and know that there are more women in the shapely jeans than the skinny ones!

Did you ever see old time photos, when all people had was the radio to listen to? Most of the women looked like what we would consider chubby.

I read that what started the skinny trend was that the clothing models were too voluptuous, and detracted from the clothes. So, they used thinner and thinner models, to 'hang' the clothes on.

I lived through the height of "Twiggy." Yes, that's another torment of my youth. That's when it became "thin is in." And now, look at the celebrities. They are like walking skeletons with skin on them. It looks like they have giant heads on their twig-like bodies.

I don't need to be that thin. I just want to be healthy and comfortable, and be able to shop in regular sizes. I'd be happy in a 12. When I weighed 130 pounds (about 19 years ago) I wore a size 10.

Now, I see ads for weight-loss pills where the girl says, I used to wear a size 10, now I'm a 2. Geez. When did 10 become a 'big' size? They don't show that right after she says that she faints and they call the paramedics!

Well, this thread really has got me going!

I hope we can all be happy with what God gave us. Our job is to be healthy and strong. The rest is just nonsense.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 13:29

BF:

Great posts everyone. I can't believe I have lived all these years. Struggled so hard with diets and binging to find out all I have to do is come up with a plan before I eat anything. You better patent that Idea because if it works I am writing a book.

Thanks Loretta

PS: how to I fancy up my posts I love the little mermaid counting down the pounds.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 16:01

Hi Loretta!

Quote:
Struggled so hard with diets and binging to find out all I have to do is come up with a plan before I eat anything.
You have to stick to your plan, too!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 16:29

BF:

Hi Barb, I guess sticking to the plan is the hard part. I am going to take a minute to read your plan. I do have a plan. I am posting daily somewhere on this board. I don't know where.
Loretta
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 03:51

BF:

Barb..

Many thanks for posting here...I read your post a couple of days go...but didnt have the time i wanted to to reply to it..

I appreciate you taking the time to type all that you did...Everything you said is SOOo right....very clear....

My plan is for every day..for the rest of the days of my life...I would rather live a low carb...free from binge lifestyle...than high junk....binged lifestyle......for sure....so..why is it that sometimes I cheat?? if i hate the feeling of being so full of carbs..and binging..why do i cheat?? and why is it that its after the binge that i regret it..and wish i would have reminded myself before hand how i would feel?? i think thats what bothers me the most....the fact that I know over and over again how i will feel..but do it anyway....This is the only area i have problems with...foooood....i am in control of every single thing in my life...and manage things that many people don't even go through in their life...i can manage those things..but can't mange my food....its shamefull...and it disgusts me....

I am going to take alook at your plan..to get an idea of what a plan is......and see how it helps..

This might sound dumb..but i cn't imagine writing everything down..before i eat it...but I do use fitday to track everything i ate....i enter everything i had eaten for that day..and i usually do fine...(when on low carb plan)......i like to eat what i feel like eating at that moment....i can't plan on eating eggs for breakfast tomorrow..cuz i might not feel like eating eggs tomorrow..u know...that sort of thing...

Let me tell you what i eat at the moment...my menu includes these:

1. eggs
2. Chicken/turkey (only form of meat i like)
3. Cheese = mozzerella and cheddar
4. Mayo as dip sometimes

how can i be creative with this?? (hehehe)..pretty dull if you ask me..but this is what i feel good with eating...

I used to eat nuts..almonds...but got to the point where i would start overeating them..so..i actually started a thread about not being able to stop myself..and decided to STOP eating them at all...so..i am working on that....

I agree with snacking....but on what??

yes..i am 20 years old....and have been messing with my eating for about 3-4 years now..it all started with anorexia...and its been all messed up every since...

the two hour binge thing...was the "not me" person talking...i know i don't want that..i was trying to convince myself that that was waht i wanted...but its not...

I LOVE exercise..i live to exercise...its a hobby and joy of mine..i LOVE to sweat like heck...cna't get enough of it...i can workout day in and day out....no prob. there...I also run the aerobics program i created at the uni....(smile)

I will never give up Barb...no worries there..I just want to stick to what i know is right..everytime i do sooooooooooooooooo well...and get amazing results...that is when i go off..thinking..it was easy..i can't go off..and so what if i ruin everything i have working for...i can always go back and do it again..and get the smae results.. thats the prob.

Well..i guess i have typed enough as well..(eheh)...

thanks again..and pleae keep posting..i will use..if not consider all the advice you give..

Casandra
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 01:17

Plan: Atkins & Protein Power
Stats: 240/193.5/145 Female 5ft 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Happy Ramadan Casandra. On another post you said you were from UAE and I have some friends from there. I assume that since you are fasting for religious reasons you are Muslim....what is your nationality? you name is western

For now, fasting and eating everything in two hours will have to do until Ramadan is over, however, try and modify it because it'll only help you get control of your binging. For example, break your fast with something small, and then take a break. Either pray or take a shower or a short walk, or even come and post here......whatever will distract you for 30 minutes. After that, if you find you are still hungry, go back and eat another small amount, then distract yourself for 30 minutes and see if you are still hungry. Repeat...if necessary.

Also, I wouldn't eat whatever you want because the suguar in the food will cause your body to simply keep the control it has over you and you won't be able to control those binges, ever! Instead, eat any carbohydrates last. So start with meat and then veggies, then fruits and then, if you really still want it, go for the pita bread and the jibni manaish.....but leave it to the last.

Remember, this is a way of life......not just a diet. And you are trying to become a nutritionist...would you really tell your clients/patients that fasting all day and binging for 2 hours is okay? I don't think so......so take it day by day, and each day will get easier and easier. Then when Ramadan is over, it'll be easier for you to continue the low carb lifestyle and manage your binging even when you don't have to fast.

Good luck to you.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 07:54

BF:

Ladybug,

Hey there..Thanks for posting.

Waow..You know about Islam, and Arabic foods!! impressive!

Yes, I am a muslim! I am not FROM the UAE, but live in it. I am actually half half. I am half american, and half Jordanian!! My father is from Jordan, while my mother is from the U.S. My mother is a revert to Islam, so all of us (meaning my siblings and I) were born muslim!

Ramadan is such a great time of the year, but it does get one off of their routine. for me, its caused me to gain weight, which i am not happy about. But i know that once the HOly month is over, i can go back to normal.

I do beleive that I am carb addict. I had started a thread about wanting serious help. That is how sick i am of this!!

I don't even want to give in to the carbs..even at the end..I want to be able to feel satisfied with low carb eating. i do not want to crave the high carb crap. I am admitting its nothing but junk. Bread, sugar, processed stuff..all bad for you. I do miss the fruit though...and usually that is what i start with, but that is what also triggers the bread and stuff as well. So i try to start out by just modifying low carb by adding fruit to messing it up by eating bread, and sweets.

Well..its going on 6 pm...almost time for me to break my fast. only one more week, and then we celebrate (Eid Al Fitr)! FUN FUN FUN!!

Thank ALOT ladybug, it is sooooooooooo cool to find someone who knows about this part of the world in some way!! your a great example to others.!

Please keep intouch,
I will for sure take and use ur advice.

Casandra
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 09:51

Plan: Atkins & Protein Power
Stats: 240/193.5/145 Female 5ft 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Nice to learn about your background Casandra.

I forgot to tell you. In the Atkins book there is a part in there for those people who are having a hard time losing weight on the "low-carb" lifestyle and is meant to be used only as necessary and no more than 3 days in a row. It's called the fat-fast and for example, you have an 8oz tub of cream cheese (which if you throw in some diced green onion's or chives is even better) and maybe a handful of nuts, preferably pecans or macadamia nuts.....all day long. Break it up throughout the day either in 3 meals or 5 smaller meals. It's not much food and the calorie intake is about 1000 to 1200, so it's not much.

I don't do it often, but I do use it to bring my carb count down, help shrink my stomach so I feel fuller faster, and also, for me it's a sort of cleansing. I do it for only 1 day at a time and break it up with meat and dark green vegs only. Also, I don't do it more than 1 day a week, but it's enough. It really helps bring me back on track when I feel like I have been having too many carbs (even the allowed kinds). Maybe this could be a tool you might use and trust me, after a day of nothing but cream cheese and some nuts, eating meat again feels like indulging.

Yes, I know enough about Islam and Muslims and Arabic people in general. I grew up in a city that had a lot of Arabic people as residents and learned a lot. I have made friends with people from Egypt, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Yemen, Somalia, UAE, Syria and Saudi Arabia. I even learned how to bellydance Now that is a great workout, I just don't do it enough.

Salam Al-Eikum.

Take care and good luck!
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Oct-17-06, 22:51

BF:

Wa alaikum assalam,

That is great!!! I am happy to know you have made friends from this part of the world. I think it makes it more interesting; you know..getting to knw people thousands and thousands of miles away...(smile)

Umm..yeah..U see..last week is when i started to realized that i had gained weight..my pants fit tighter....that is just depressing me...I have been clean low carb for two days..but with no working out except the regular work and classes..i have had a midterms and a few exams this week..which has kept me up late studying..no time to workout..but today is the last day of classes..then we are off for Eid break (Yaaaahooooo)...and Ramadan will be over..so then i will be able to go back to normal...eating right..and working out!!!

I have to say as well..that this time...I am not losing as fast as i have before..usually..after going off track...i can get right back on track (weight wise) the next day...this is my third day now..and i feel low carbing is not working.

I am really wanting to do the Meat&Eggs program, but alawys seem to mix in cheese and nuts....and very very little veggies..maybe like a slice of cucmber..or a slice of tomato!! Howver, i feel i am eating too much meat..but when thats all u can have.what are u to do??

I also have a problem with nuts..I can't seem to go a day without them..they fill me up...but that cuz i eat TOO many of them...either nuts or peanut butter!!!

the fat fast?? i have read about that..but have also read that it should be done under doctor's supervision?? right? I can give it a go? u know..the nuts really really up the carb count...so..maybe i should just do cheese for one day?

I have mentioend this soo many times..i am sure people are sick of hearing it...but:
I CAN"T get away from nuts!!! My famiy buys them cuz they eat them. and even if they don't buy them..I go and buy them! I need to stop!!

Maybe I should just wait until i start working out again..i haven't don't so in two days...and i can see the difference.

I hate being ruled by food...i am ashamed...really!! I just can't get over why (ME) out of six others in the family, am the only one with a problem??? WHY??

Also, i don't knwo if i have asked you before, but i was wondering if you guys recommend seeing someone??? I know that my way of thinking about food is REALLY distorted, but i want to know if its serious enough to do something major about it....

I have been trying to think of waht causes me to binge? or waht has caused my eating problem?? but what could it be??

I am a 20 year old student! living with my family! travelled the world! have had a more incredible life than anyone i know ! Do well in my classed! Preform well at work! HAve soo many friends...more than normal...due to travelling from country to country...and living in each...! What is the problem???

OMG, could it be that i am bored??? but how could i be bored?? I don't have time to breathe! I get up...i am out of the house at 7:30...I go to my office, and work until my first class. Go to class. Go to my office and work until my next class. Go to class. Go back to m office and work until next class or until its time to go home. Usually I get home around 5 or 6...but thats during Ramadan,, normally i get home around 7:30.. i get home..eat...study..and workout! by the time i am done with all that is done...its past 1 am.

I think i am bored..OMG...but how could i be??? Maybe i need to be more involved with something with people! I feel that with work, classes, and family..there is hardly time for friends! But even the people here aren't much, buecase of their culture, they cannot go out..or go to eachothers' houses!

what could i do? any ideas? Remember where i live now!!! (smile)

Could it be that living in this country has simply made me bored...just naturally? even thouhg i don't feel i am bored..I must be?

Waow..i just typed away this time..Forgive me if it was too long! heeheh

Many thanks.
Casandra